HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > HFNHL Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

HFNHL Talk HFNHL is a full-simulation fantasy league that uses the FHL simulator to determine the outcome of games over a full 82-game season.

HFNHL 2014 Mock Draft 1.0

Old
03-30-2014, 01:46 PM
SenatorsGM

vCash: 500
HFNHL 2014 Mock Draft 1.0

1.Capitals: Sam Bennett, Forward. The Caps scooping Mark Fayne off waivers and having prospects Siemens, Hagg, Kloos, Lowe and Blacker in line to one day join Emelin, Sustr and Bellemore on the backend allows Washington to take the high ceiling offensive dynamo Bennett to be the franchise forward for the foreseeable future.

2.Sharks: Aaron Ekblad, Defence. The Sharks land part two of their top pairing rearguards in Ekblad to play with Cam Fowler. Ekblad has the rare blend size, speed and offensive ability that can make him a force on the ice for 20 plus minutes a night. The Sharks future top 4 of Fowler, Ekblad, Trouba and Ceci/Santani looks formidable.

3.Lightning: Sam Reinhart, Forward. The Lightning are loaded with prospects and would have liked to see Ekblad fall to them and bolster their depth of defence prosects. Reinhart had the tough task of trying to stay ontop of the top draft prospect mountain, he stumbled to 3 and its a pleasant accident for Tampa Bay.

4.Hurricanes (Via Ducks): Leon Draisaitl, Forward.

5.Hurricanes: William Nylander, Forward. The Hurricanes get back to back picks early and add 2 of the very best pure offensive talents in the draft. In Draisaitl and Nylander Carolina adds a Swede and German to play with their Finnish pivot Barkov forming a deadly blend of european talent to punish the league in many exciting ways for years and years.

6.Jets: Haydn Fleury, Defence. With the top guys off the board at the 6 pick the Jets look best Dman left and one that is clearly ahead of the ones that will be drafted after his name is called. There is a real chance the Jets move this pick to acquire more selections as they have only this pick and 6th rounder this draft.

7.Stars: Nic Ritchie, Forward. The Stars are looking for talent and one talent you can't teach is size and Ritchie is a man amongst boys physically. Nic actually has skill to match his size and that may mean he's in the show sooner than alot of other prospects. Dallas gets a great power forward prospect which is a sought after commodity.

8.Senators: Michael Dal Colle, Forward. A bit of a fall for Dal Colle in projected draft position but thats the way it goes on draft day risers and fallers. Dal Colle played with excellent linemates in Oshawa and perhaps his numbers were slightly enhanced by better linemates. Regardless, MDC had a nice season and if he can build on it he's a steal at 8.

9.Penguins: Nikolaj Ehlers, Forward. Not many prospect holes in Pittsburgh so they are taking the most skilled winger. Though not as big as other prospects he makes up for it with elusiveness, quickness and being an opportunist. Ehlers is a dangerous weapon and the Penguins will be thrilled to have him wear their uniform.

10.Coyotes: Jared McCann, Forward. Here's a hockey player plain and simple, you need it done on the ice McCann will do it. Plays a complete game and is adept at either end of the rink. Jared is a coaches dream come true and a player teammates love to play with. Any organization would be lucky to get him but the Coyotes get that honour.

11.Blackhawks: Kasperi Kapanen, Forward. GM Lewis is getting the European Jared McCann but with NHL bloodlines. A clutch player, Kasperi is at his best when it matters most. There is no Situation that Kapanen isn't competent to handle. It's going to be a matter of when not if that Kapanen comes to North America to ply his trade in the windy city.

12.Sabres: Brendan Perlini, Forward. Wide open options at this point no clear cut Best Player Available its all about preference and position. Just a hunch but there could be trade action at this pick from teams at the end of the first round. Perlini has strong skating and a good shot he'd be a nice piece for the Sabres or any team picking lucky number 13.

13.Bruins: Ivan Barbashev, Forward. As it stands the Bruins late push for a play off spot fell just short. Consolation prize, one very talented Russian forward to add to the prospect talent pool. A committed teammate he leads by example and is devoted to winning. Outstanding intangibles to go with great skills that slot in anywhere in a lineup.

14.Panthers (Via Blue Jackets): Alex Tuch, Forward. Mike McCarron the monster winger was the Panthers pick in the first round last year. This year they also take a hulking American winger in the first round. Odds are an OHL player would be drafted here but the Panthers GM goes outside the scouting honey hole and gets Alex the giant.

15.Oilers: David Pastrnak, Forward. The Oilers have solid prospects in various stages of development, this allows them the luxury of picking a very high ceiling talent that will take time to realize his potential. Pastrnak will likely play 2 more years in Sweden before he can play in the AHL and learn the North American game for likely 2 more years.

16.Islanders: Anthony DeAngelo, Defence. With their first selection in round one the Ilses go Dman and pick DeAngelo over Honka and Mckeown. Maybe a little early for these 3 but they weren't going to be there at the end of the round. Long Island gets the rearguard they need to add to quality and depth to their defensive prospect ranks.

17.Panthers (Via Devils): Nikolay Goldobin, Forward. From the OHL's Sarnia Sting comes a highly skilled Russian forward......I feel like this is deja vu! Oh wait, its the tail of one Nail Yakapov only the latest version, perhaps the vista version, you know not optimal at first but useful after enough time has gone by to work out the kinks.

18.Wild: Jake Virtanen, Forward. The Wild have kept a westernly eye on the Calgary Hitman's version of Charlie Coyle only smaller. Leading Calgary in goal scoring this season showed Jake's finishing touch around the net. Finishing off opponents with big hits is the other part of Virtanen's game that has scouts taking notice.

19.Ducks (Via Flyers): Julius Honka, Defence. Honka may be smallish in stature but made his presence known to the hockey community in helping Finland win World Junior gold this year. Makes the most of his physical gifts by playing smarter and making the right play at the right time. Still has time to grow and a little more size could make him even more dominant.

20.Flames: Nikita Scherbak, Forward. The Flames had great success in drafting a Russian forward last year in Valeri Nichushkin. With a later pick in the first round the Flames hope that Scherbak can be another rewarding Russian forward. Calgary is fast tracking their rebuild with Russian corner stone wingers.

21.Canucks: Thatcher Demko, Goalie. This is the spot in the first round that I feel a goalie might go. The Canucks could keep this pick or move it either way I think the consensus number 1 goalie goes at 21. A big, Agile American winning machine will probably soak up college life for another couple years then bring his act pro.

22.Rangers: Josh Ho-Sang, Forward. The Windsor Spitfire forward has steadily risen up the draft rankings throughout the year. Talented and skilled there is no doubt about that, his physical maturity may be the only thing holding back his potential. Will need pro seasoning to ensure he is capable of a two way game and responsible in his own end.

23.Predators: Jakub Vrana, Forward. Nashville enjoyed the swedish touch of Alexander Wennberg so much that they are back for second dose. Jakub Vrana oozes offence and the Predators will be extactic to add his talents. Coach Trotz will have to drill back checking into Vrana as he enjoys the rush of puck on stick barring down on an opposing goalie a little too much.

24.Kings: Dylan Larkin, Forward. The Kings have no pressing needs with talent everywhere. Larkin will be allowed to physically mature and work on his game in Ann Arbour with the Wolverines. Michigan is a strong program and its players have to earn all the playing time they receive. Larkin`s work ethic will dictate his success.

25.Blues: Roland McKeown, Defence. Solid two way Defenceman prospect. McKeown slips down to St. Louis by some miracle Bringing his pro size and adaptable game to the Blues prospect pipeline. GM Quain adds to possibly the only weak spot in a deep prospect pool. There is no wow in McKeown`s game but there is no BOO either.

26.Red Wings: Sonny Milano, Forward. Being a great team team for so long is a blessing and a curse. Winning is great but picking late every year usually means missing out on the premium prospects. Milano possesses golden hands which he uses superbly. More of a long term project who should have a big pay off when fully developed.

27.Maple Leafs: Jack Glover, Defence. Maple Leafs brass like the long range potential of the 6`3 190 pound defenceman. Not a plug and play draftee by any means but has the projectable frame of a future top 4 Dman. The Leafs deep team allows for a developmental draft choice with the teams late first rounder.

28.Lightning (Via Avalanche): Robert Fabbri, Forward. Diminutive goal scoring centre is equally gifted at setting up goals with sweet passes or burying the biscuit when given the chance. Tampa Bay GM Kirk just keeps adding to the talent pool. One day not soon, but one day the Lightning could ice one of the deadliest youngest offensive teams in the HFNHL.

29.Canadiens: Nick Schmaltz, Forward. Montreal has had one of the deepest and most talent laden teams with a flourishing prospect pool. Schmaltz is a responsible two-way forward that has some emerging offensive insticts. The Canadiens are projecting Nick Schmaltz as a future fixture on the teams second line.

30.Islanders (Via Panthers): Anton Karlsson, Forward. Erik Karlsson`s little brother isn`t so little but has some of the same game he brings to the forward position. The Islanders can take a big swing for the fences with their second pick in the first round and drafting the brother of a 4th rounder who looks to better offensively then his smaller older brother.

Last edited by SenatorsGM: 04-01-2014 at 11:16 PM.
SenatorsGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2014, 03:40 PM
Brock
HFB Partner

Good work Jeff. Love reading these.

Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2014, 04:08 PM
Dempsey

Dylan Larkin would be an interesting pick for the Kings, who already have two players at Michigan (Copp and Guptill). Great write-up.

Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2014, 06:51 PM
Canuck09

Nicely done. I like the power of positive thinking with the Sens pick at 8 as well!

Canuck09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 03:25 AM
Hossa

Awesome write-up. Not sure I see the Canucks taking Demko, with Jake Allen and Philippe Desrosiers already nice goalies for the future behind Carey Price. Position aside though, a US NTDP-trained prospect at Boston College does follow the organization's trend of late - being a teammate of Hockey East first team all-star Mike Matheson doesn't hurt.

Hossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 11:57 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Not a Virtanen fan

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 01:56 PM
MatthewFlames

Send a message via AIM to MatthewFlames Send a message via MSN to MatthewFlames Send a message via Yahoo to MatthewFlames Send a message via Skype™ to MatthewFlames
Yay russians!

MatthewFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 02:00 PM
Paul Martin Jones
DontTouchMyDonskoi!

why not Dan? (re: Virtanen)

ps ... great write up, always love these! I cant see PIT taking a Euro winger but I have heard good things about Ehlers.

Paul Martin Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 02:25 PM
Canuck09

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewFlames View Post
Yay russians!
Well there's at least one happy reader here.

Old
03-31-2014, 09:45 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Bennett over Reinhart is an interesting choice and a decision I will have to consider if the standings hold. Two forwards really close together. Unfortunately my defense and offense both need work and I can only pick one of the three headliners.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 09:58 PM
Hossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck09 View Post
Well there's at least one happy reader here.
I think the measure of a good HFNHL mock draft is the number of responses, regardless of what is said. Only people like Kershaw would be silly enough to tip their hand and say the mock got it right.

Old
03-31-2014, 11:09 PM
RedWingsLegacy

Never really looked to.deep into the draft that far yet so guess we will find out. If ur right

RedWingsLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 11:51 PM
Hossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenatorsGM View Post
30.Islanders (Via Panthers): Anton Karlsson, Forward. Erik Karlsson`s little brother isn`t a defenceman but has some of the same game he brings to the forward position. The Islanders can take a big swing for the fences with their second pick in the first round and drafting the brother of a Norris trophy winner is a strong move.
Also, I think you're mixing up your Erik Karlssons. Anton's the brother of the lesser Karlsson, the forward drafted by the Hurricanes.

Old
04-01-2014, 01:23 AM
MatthewFlames

Send a message via AIM to MatthewFlames Send a message via MSN to MatthewFlames Send a message via Yahoo to MatthewFlames Send a message via Skype™ to MatthewFlames
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossa View Post
I think the measure of a good HFNHL mock draft is the number of responses, regardless of what is said. Only people like Kershaw would be silly enough to tip their hand and say the mock got it right.
I was silly enough to say I was taking Nichushkin. And I took Nichushkin! Bring on the Crimeans.. er, Soviets!!!

Old
04-01-2014, 10:52 AM
BlueAndWhite

Awful work Jeff. Just awful.

All jokes aside, a great write up. Thanks for taking the time.

BlueAndWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 11:32 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFNHL PIT GM View Post
why not Dan? (re: Virtanen)

ps ... great write up, always love these! I cant see PIT taking a Euro winger but I have heard good things about Ehlers.
From what I can gather, he doesn't sound like he has a very diverse set of skills. Dominant in the ones he has but lack of consistency and one-dimensional game scares me.

With all that said, he's still in my top 20

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 11:25 PM
SenatorsGM

I'm thrilled that my posting has generating debate, denials and distractions in what can be a dull time in a sim league. Also I edited pick 30 to refect the proper Erik Karlsson. I might even do another one for the league at the conclusion of the regular season if the GMs are interested....

SenatorsGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 07:05 AM
MatthewFlames

Quote:
I'm thrilled that my posting has generating debate, denials and distractions in what can be a dull time in a sim league. Also I edited pick 30 to refect the proper Erik Karlsson. I might even do another one for the league at the conclusion of the regular season if the GMs are interested....
Yes please! Great work!

Old
04-02-2014, 12:21 PM
Canuck09

Quote:
Only if you get more than 1 or 2 picks right next time.

Old
04-03-2014, 05:57 AM
Ville Isopää

Send a message via ICQ to Ville Isopää
Spot on with the Avs first round pick! Now, make one for round two and we see if you can predict my pick in round two as well..

Ville Isopää is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 12:53 PM
Ohio Jones
Game on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ville Isopää View Post
Spot on with the Avs first round pick! Now, make one for round two and we see if you can predict my pick in round two as well..
Yes, I was just thinking that you'd done a terrific job identifying Columbus' preferred candidate in the first round. Have you been sitting in our scouting meetings?

Ohio Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 01:01 PM
Paul Martin Jones
DontTouchMyDonskoi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ville Isopää View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones View Post
Yes, I was just thinking that you'd done a terrific job identifying Columbus' preferred candidate in the first round. Have you been sitting in our scouting meetings?
jokes on me ... you know how many times I just went and looked to see who you got in this mock.

Paul Martin Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 10:36 AM
Vaive-Alive

Nice work Jeff - the talented Barbashev is on the list. Mind you he'll likely have to fall to us since we have every intention of winning the battle for that last playoff spot in the East! Blue Jackets beware!

Vaive-Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 07:21 AM
Lord Stanley
Revoluccion Leader

Hurricanes will not pass on Ritchie or Dal Colle.

Lord Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 06:08 PM
Ohio Jones
Game on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaive-Alive View Post
Nice work Jeff - the talented Barbashev is on the list. Mind you he'll likely have to fall to us since we have every intention of winning the battle for that last playoff spot in the East! Blue Jackets beware!
It's going to be a photo finish, methinks...

Ohio Jones is offline   Reply With Quote