HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shayne Gostisbehere

Old
03-30-2014, 09:45 PM
Broad Street Elite

vCash: 500
Gostisbehere returning to Union would be a wasted development year imo.

Firstly, I think that the training differential between the collegiate and pro level is negligible at best. I just do not agree that the ability to train in college while attending classes (insert silliness about college athletes not needing to go to classes) is considerably better than professional strength and conditioning, nutritionists, massage therapists, equipment, etc.

Next, I don't view fewer games against absolutely inferior competition is worth any difference in s & c that may exist. Watching the number of Union games I have this season, most of the teams on their schedule are filled with players that aren't even going to see ECHL time. To me, that doesn't prepare you mentally nor physically to play against the best competition in the world.

I am generally very conservative in developing prospects, but I have no issue saying that Gostisbehere is AT WORST ready for the Phantoms at this minute and would be best served in moving forward than stagnating.

Broad Street Elite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2014, 09:46 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
I can't speak for your school but At schools I have seen there are no special machines. At most you have a Keiser or a Versaclimber machine but what those do can be duplicated in other ways. Ghost will probably not be able to pack on much more weight, and if he did it would be at the expense of his speed. Another year at union gives him much more physical maturation as well as a year of builidng up strength. I do agree he can skate himself out of dangerous hits but He isn't playing in the nhl next year and he already has a level of comfort at union.

Also all athletes in sports are getting trained the same. Volleyball players and baseball players basically do the same exercises but use different energy systems. So one strength and conditioning coach could design programs for all sports , taht is how it is done at most universities.
The last thing you want him to be is comfortable. That's when you start to lose focus and develop bad habits which was my original point. A player of his caliber should not be playing in an inferior league for 4 seasons. It makes no sense. If he were to play in the AHL for 4 seasons we would be calling him a bust. He needs the challenge. I kind of agree that he doesn't have much more to gain physically. If he's 170, he's going to have to adapt and adjust to the game at that weight.

FLYguy3911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 11:39 AM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
The last thing you want him to be is comfortable. That's when you start to lose focus and develop bad habits which was my original point. A player of his caliber should not be playing in an inferior league for 4 seasons. It makes no sense. If he were to play in the AHL for 4 seasons we would be calling him a bust. He needs the challenge. I kind of agree that he doesn't have much more to gain physically. If he's 170, he's going to have to adapt and adjust to the game at that weight.
Agree

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2015, 09:22 PM
FLYguy3911

First point of many. The spin cycle.

FLYguy3911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2015, 01:16 AM
onlylordsvsmorebp
#gudassnipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
First point of many. The spin cycle.
ring the bell sucker...school is in.

and that's a HEAVY wrister right there. look at the snap on that thing.

onlylordsvsmorebp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2015, 03:07 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Eye Monster Invictus

I remember watching him in NCAA do things like that and thinking "Man that's cool, shame he likely can't pull that in the NHL"

Well. Here it is.

11-15-2015, 04:11 AM
Devonator

Very impressed with his game tonight...I think he is a keeper!

Devonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2015, 05:17 AM
BillDineen

Not to get overly excited after one game, but I predict Ghost finishes the season with 90 points in 66 games, winning the Calder, Norris and Hart followed by 40 points in 20 playoff games winning the Conn Smythe and Stanley Cup. In the summer the Stanley Cup is renamed the Ghost Cup and the number 53 is permanently retired by the NHL.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2015, 06:35 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 1046
We will see later on when Streit returns (if no one else is hurt), if he stays in the NHL for the rest of the season. Hextall said anyone who comes up for good is going to have to force him to move someone out. Unless Ghost is completely dominant, I think Hextall will still want him to finish the season with the Phantoms

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2015

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2015, 06:56 AM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
We will see later on when Streit returns (if no one else is hurt), if he stays in the NHL for the rest of the season. Hextall said anyone who comes up for good is going to have to force him to move someone out. Unless Ghost is completely dominant, I think Hextall will still want him to finish the season with the Phantoms
He's going to have a 6 week audition, and he doesn't have to be completely dominant, he just has to be ready to be an NHLer. I think he's at that point. I don't think he ever sees AHL ice again.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2015, 07:40 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 1046
Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
He's going to have a 6 week audition, and he doesn't have to be completely dominant, he just has to be ready to be an NHLer. I think he's at that point. I don't think he ever sees AHL ice again.
It's not about being a ready NHLer. Scott Laughton was a ready NHLer last year, but he still needed to go back to the Phantoms for a while. It's about forcing Hextall to make a decision. Is it worth it to keep him on the roster during what very well could be an absolute **** show for the next 5 months? I could see him being up now, going back down, returning after the trade deadline, and going back for a hopeful Phantoms playoff run, which really should be the path right now.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2015, 08:18 AM
Tripod

In the end, I think it's in Ghost's hands. If he plays well, he will stay until Streit is ready. And at that point, you have a 6-8 week sample size of his play. And if Streit is out for 8 weeks, then there is only 6 weeks until the trade deadline where most expect us to be sellers and him to be up anyways.

But really, this injury could be a blessing. With no injury, Ghost likely stays down longer. Now, he us up and learning on the fly. But what this does do is lessen the D logjam of all coming up at once.

If he is here to stay, that spreads out the time in which they are arriving. This allows another young D to come up around the deadline hopefully Morin and not have 2 guys coming at the same time. Then next year, hopefully Provorov makes it so at minimum, 3 of the kids are on the roster to start the season. Then we have Hagg and Sanheim oh so close in the AHL. And by the deadline 2017, they all could be up.

That's a lot of youth, but also a lot of talent. I also would not be surprised if a Hagg is moved for a F prospect and then his spot is filled with a veteran player to help shelter the kids.

Tripod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2015, 09:15 AM
Curufinwe

vCash: 50
I think Hagg will stay since he can play both sides. It was just one game but I liked what I saw from him last night for the Phantoms.

Last edited by Curufinwe: 11-15-2015 at 01:34 PM.
Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2015, 11:29 AM
usahockey22flyers
Daje Roma!

Come on Ghost, play your way into that line-up baby

Also - thats a really cool GIF up there ^^^ of his assist last night.

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2015, 12:20 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I hope he plays himself to stay on the team and get someone else traded.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2015, 01:04 PM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 890
Any idea what number he will get, or stick with 53 ?

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2015, 01:30 PM
The Nightman Cometh

A man's performance last night. It could be rookie's luck but my god, he's earned the right to prove it wasn't.

There's a good chance he's already our best defenseman.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2015, 01:40 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennysflyers16 View Post
Any idea what number he will get, or stick with 53 ?
My guess is it's #53 for a while here until he officially makes the team (see Scott Laughton).

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2015, 01:54 PM
usahockey22flyers
Daje Roma!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
A man's performance last night. It could be rookie's luck but my god, he's earned the right to prove it wasn't.

There's a good chance he's already our best defenseman.
At first thought I said to myself, "no way".

At second thought, I remembered who is on our D. We'll chat and discuss this in 2 weeks

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2015, 02:52 PM
Cyborg LeClair
Thank You Mr. Snider

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
My guess is it's #53 for a while here until he officially makes the team (see Scott Laughton).
Yeah I really want to know what number he goes with. I don't really like 53 and 14 is held by Coots. I would hate to see him as 41 cause I would think of Meszaros all the time

Cyborg LeClair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2015, 03:50 PM
bb12

I think him and Med could hold some quality as a pairing though we need to split them up.
Mdz ghost and meds need to be paired with schenn Shultz and gudas due to obvious reasons

bb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2015, 04:14 PM
Appleyard
HFB Partner

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb12 View Post
I think him and Med could hold some quality as a pairing though we need to split them up.
Mdz ghost and meds need to be paired with schenn Shultz and gudas due to obvious reasons
I think:

MDZ - Gudas

is a pretty good pairing. They complement each other pretty well.

Medvedev has actually played best with Schenn tbh from what I have seen... once again, not too surprising as their games kind of 'mesh'... I also think that as Medvedev is a bit more reserved than MDZ in regards to dangerous pinching it helps out Schenn more, who is pretty good positionally but not as good as Gudas in terms of getting back, odd man rushes, breaking up plays in transition.

Only problem is that leaves Schultz -- Gostisbehere... which would be hard to pair, as both ideally play very different kind of minutes.

Though Schultz -- Schenn has been bizarrely pretty good both this year and last year when paired. You could have that pairing then have:

Medvedev -- Gostisbehere
Del Zotto -- Gudas

It is kind of tough pairing wise though... you can probably make two 'ideal' pairs but then are left over with a bit of a 'mis-fit' pair I think... partially as we have no-one who can match vs top lines.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2015, 05:41 PM
FreshPerspective
Hextall is a deity!

Last night was an encouraging game but let's not get too ahead. He is playing on adrenaline. No doubt NHL ready offensively but too soon to anoint him some defensive stalwart. He has a nice opportunity to prove and improve so that is the postive take away...the rest is gravy.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2015, 05:45 PM
Ghosts Beer

I would guess he would switch to # 34 or 74.

14 is Couturier. 4 is retired. 24 is Read. 3 is Gudas. 44 is probably still considered Timonen.

Ghosts Beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2015, 06:32 PM
Appleyard
HFB Partner

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosts Beer View Post
I would guess he would switch to # 34 or 74.

14 is Couturier. 4 is retired. 24 is Read. 3 is Gudas. 44 is probably still considered Timonen.
Yeh, 34 would be my bet.

#3 & #14 combined... pretty sure they are the only numbers he has ever worn before NHL level?

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote