HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Don Cherry & Coach's Corner 2013-14 Version | Part III

Old
04-24-2014, 08:48 AM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
I know Frenchies is a derogatory term (one that Cherry uses most importantly), I don't need lesson from you. Only someone out of touch with reality could classify his comments as pro-Canadian instead of what they really are. I have no problem with him talking about good Canadian kids, I love Canada and I have loads of family there from BC to Ontario and they're all proud Canadians, but they don't have a sick need to express their affection towards Canada by dumping on other nations as if they're less worthy.

Furthermore, what makes Canada great is the diversity of the people living in it and the utmost respect they have for each-other, Cherry is in no way, shape or form representative of an average Canadian.

EDIT:

There's no such thing as occasional slip-ups, once is one time too many.
I bet you are a blast at parties. With all of those nameless "family" that keeps you in touch with the pulse of western Canadian culture.

One thing I never thought I would consider fellow Canadians to be is absolutely humourless.

Cherry does not "dump" on other nations. He occasionally has made comments about their hockey and players. The average Canadian is intelligent enough to know that.

The hyperbole in this thread is real.

But all you martyrs keep fighting the good fight against oppression and the tyranny and atrocities caused by Satan himself known as Don Cherry.

Edit: people like you (not saying you, but people like you) are usually the ones who "fight" for freedom and equality, but then get freaked out when someone from a different country moves onto your street or would never in their lives hire a First Nations person for a job at their business. I know the types, and unlike that type, I am in the trenches making a difference, and Don Cherry is not the root of the problem, believe me.

Last edited by fly4apuckguy: 04-24-2014 at 08:53 AM.
fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 08:54 AM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
I know Frenchies is a derogatory term (one that Cherry uses most importantly), I don't need lesson from you. Only someone out of touch with reality could classify his comments as pro-Canadian instead of what they really are. I have no problem with him talking about good Canadian kids, I love Canada and I have loads of family there from BC to Ontario and they're all proud Canadians, but they don't have a sick need to express their affection towards Canada by dumping on other nations as if they're less worthy.

Furthermore, what makes Canada great is the diversity of the people living in it and the utmost respect they have for each-other, Cherry is in no way, shape or form representative of an average Canadian.

EDIT:

Istina

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 08:59 AM
Halifaxhab*

I should say that I find Cherry to be a cartoonish caricature of himself from the 80's. His costume and persona are a show he puts on. His segment is just him going "old man rant" on the flavour of the day. Thankfully it's coming to an end. There was a time that his segment brought out valid arguments to improving the game, now it's just a big "I told you so" about players and a good solid support the troops/police/remember this young hockey player bit.

I've met him several times, and he is no different alone in a room. And his love of Boston and Toronto is quite real, understandable too considering.

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 09:04 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
I bet you are a blast at parties. With all of those nameless "family" that keeps you in touch with the pulse of western Canadian culture.

One thing I never thought I would consider fellow Canadians to be is absolutely humourless.

Cherry does not "dump" on other nations. He occasionally has made comments about their hockey and players. The average Canadian is intelligent enough to know that.

But all you martyrs keep fighting the good fight against oppression and the tyranny and atrocities caused by Satan himself known as Don Cherry.

Edit: people like you (not saying you, but people like you) are usually the ones who "fight" for freedom and equality, but then get freaked out when someone from a different country moves onto your street or would never in their lives hire a First Nations person for a job at their business. I know the types, and unlike that type, I am in the trenches making a difference, and Don Cherry is not the root of the problem, believe me.
You are right on the money man. I usually don't get involved in these debates...but as somebody who has spent a large portion of my professional career living in Europe, Don Cherry's brand of Canadian Nationalism I find way less offensive than what I have seen and experienced in my time living in Europe. people need to take a look in the mirror.

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 09:06 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:

EDIT:

This is one of the main reasons that - quite rightly - Cherry has never been awarded the Order of Canada.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 09:08 AM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by giddy up View Post
He's a loon. He should be off TV and put in a home.
I am not sure of this poster's location, but I want you all to understand that this ageist comment does not reflect modern Canadian society, and certainly not the thoughts and feelings of those in the west. This inflammatory hatred towards elderly people is something that can not be tolerated in today's society. It is both hurtful and derogatory, and the hate that this post projects is not something Canadians feel. We love old people. We are old people, even the young ones. I personally have many old friends in Ontario who are old. All of my young friends also think that the time for these types of comments has passed. Times are changing, and there is no room in this day and age for ageism. I am hopeful that Bob and others from around the world can join me in renouncing this hateful comment about the elderly, because it is damaging to the fabric of world peace.

I hope people see what I have done here.

Old
04-24-2014, 09:12 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 744
Quote:

Yeah you got me there

Who's saying he's the root of the problem? Should we turn the blind eye because there are bigger morons somewhere else? I have no problem admitting there's A LOT of bad seeds here where I'm from (comes with the territory of being a new nation) and they should be treated like fools they are. Furthermore there's no such thing as gradations of xenophobia, either you are one or you aren't.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 09:15 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
I am not sure of this poster's location, but I want you all to understand that this ageist comment does not reflect modern Canadian society, and certainly not the thoughts and feelings of those in the west. This inflammatory hatred towards elderly people is something that can not be tolerated in today's society. It is both hurtful and derogatory, and the hate that this post projects is not something Canadians feel. We love old people. We are old people, even the young ones. I personally have many old friends in Ontario who are old. All of my young friends also think that the time for these types of comments has passed. Times are changing, and there is no room in this day and age for ageism. I am hopeful that Bob and others from around the world can join me in renouncing this hateful comment about the elderly, because it is damaging to the fabric of world peace.

My aunts father in law is an 80+ year old form SK who thinks Canada's the best at everything, he's one of the best guys you can meet and a great guy all around, but he doesn't think highly of Cherry. Is he hating on the old people as well?

Last edited by Ivan13: 04-24-2014 at 09:46 AM.
Old
04-24-2014, 09:18 AM
BobDobolina

Quote:
Do you realize that you can be pro-Canadian without belittling every other nation and without spewing crap about Frenchies, Europeans etc?
It's evident that for some people these things are synonymous.

BobDobolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 10:06 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Has he come to his partner's rescue yet regarding the French ref comment or is he going to hang him out to dry.

Funny how media outlets say Maclean "channelled his inner Cherry". Doesn't speak well for Don's rep.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 01:18 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
(...)

PS - "Frenchies" is a derogatory term, pot.
And I believe he's using it to characterize The Coach's comments on French Canadians on some issues (visors, for example).

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 01:24 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
(...)

Don't you mean "The hyperbole in this post is real"?

And is it not possible that The Coach, while not being the root of the problem, is part of it? Legit question.

And you're a champ at generalizations...

Old
04-24-2014, 01:27 PM
beauchamp

Quote:

The language you used is a bit strong, but I fully share the sentiment contained therein.

Old
04-25-2014, 12:14 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
And I believe he's using it to characterize The Coach's comments on French Canadians on some issues (visors, for example).
Yep.

Old
04-25-2014, 08:52 AM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
You are more na´ve than I am. What happened was he was caught and then did a quick backtrack.

Not only is the hyperbole real, so is the hypocrisy.

I wish we could have a little insight into everyone life on this thread, I really do. I bet you I am the one you would find THE most open-minded and committed to a multicultural society and standing up for the equal rights of every culture, religion, and gender on just about any social issue imaginable.

I just don't talk out of my backside, so to speak.

Old
04-25-2014, 10:23 AM
Joe Hallenback

vCash: 777
For a guy from Zagreb you would think you would know what serious nationalism is like

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 12:29 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
You are more na´ve than I am. What happened was he was caught and then did a quick backtrack.

I wish we could have a little insight into everyone life on this thread, I really do. I bet you I am the one you would find THE most open-minded and committed to a multicultural society and standing up for the equal rights of every culture, religion, and gender on just about any social issue imaginable.

I as a Habs fan whose favorite players of all time are Joe Sakic, Frank Mahovlich, Jean Beliveau, the Rocket and Roy am xenophobic towards the French community in Canada. I've read some outlandish posts here, but this one takes the cake

Last edited by Ivan13: 04-25-2014 at 12:36 PM.
Old
04-25-2014, 02:37 PM
beauchamp

Quote:

Wow!

And your best quality is your humbleness...

Old
04-25-2014, 02:43 PM
beauchamp

Quote:

(...)
What has my na´vety to do with this?

And yes, I am na´ve.

Everyone is good until I've been shown that they're not.

And that's why some immigration people did not like me when I was an immigration adjudicator. But that's another story and let me avoid the trap of making this about myself.

Back on thread: the simple fact that the term came out of his mouth on a national platform is significant enough...

Old
04-25-2014, 02:47 PM
beauchamp

Quote:

I as a Habs fan whose favorite players of all time are Joe Sakic, Frank Mahovlich, Jean Beliveau, the Rocket and Roy am xenophobic towards the French community in Canada. I've read some outlandish posts here, but this one takes the cake
Being associated with Zagreb, I'm not surprised that Joe Sakic and The Big Frank would be one two your favourites.

But are you really xenophobic towards the French community or is that a simple typing mistake?

Old
04-25-2014, 03:01 PM
Kharkov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sartorial View Post
"Most of the guys who wear them are Europeans and French guys. And you cannot have half the league wear them and half not."

This was Don talking about visors. Why is he so against them?
Because some people need to prove that they are real men etc by not using visor? What a tough guys.

Somebody really takes Cherry too seriously. Wow. To me Cherry is humorous/comical person, cant take him too seriously.

Kharkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 04:18 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Being associated with Zagreb, I'm not surprised that Joe Sakic and The Big Frank would be one two your favourites.

But are you really xenophobic towards the French community or is that a simple typing mistake?
Sarcasm, Quebec is one of my favorite places in the world and I adore its culture.

PS

Growing up listening to stories about the good old days I had no choice but to fell in love with the CH and the people associated with it.

Old
04-25-2014, 07:55 PM
MoreOrr
B4

I think that anyone and everyone has to admit that Don makes a hell of a good point here with respect to the Maclean issue from game 4 of the Canadiens-Lightning series. Don Cherry is still a very shrewd guy when he's not deliberately trying to put on a show.

Cherry comes to MacLean's defence on Twitter
http://sports.ca.msn.com/top-stories...e-on-twitter-1

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 08:31 PM
Sartorial
#RegisteredUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
I think that anyone and everyone has to admit that Don makes a hell of a good point here with respect to the Maclean issue from game 4 of the Canadiens-Lightning series. Don Cherry is still a very shrewd guy when he's not deliberately trying to put on a show.

Cherry comes to MacLean's defence on Twitter
http://sports.ca.msn.com/top-stories...e-on-twitter-1
Totally. I saw that today and was impressed.

Sartorial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 09:59 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:

Wow!

And your best quality is your humbleness...
Has zero to do with that, and everything to do with my job and my role in my community. Like Don, I am misunderstood on this thread.