HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Don Cherry & Coach's Corner 2013-14 Version | Part III

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-14-2014, 12:10 PM
  #176
Yzlamic Extremist
Johnny Ugly
 
Yzlamic Extremist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,177
vCash: 500
It's sad, but Cherry can barely string sentences together any more. Him and Bob Cole are in the same boat, you have to think that eventually that these two will have to choose to retire rather than continuing their dream of hockey coverage.

Yzlamic Extremist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 12:29 PM
  #177
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School
 
fly4apuckguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Bayless View Post
It's sad, but Cherry can barely string sentences together any more. Him and Bob Cole are in the same boat, you have to think that eventually that these two will have to choose to retire rather than continuing their dream of hockey coverage.
Considering the guy is 80, I don't think that is sad. He has lived the dream for a lot of years. Sure he is not what he used to be, and his voice does not hold out anymore, but he is more Messier than Gretzky. They will have to tell him to leave before he will.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 01:47 PM
  #178
SANTArelli25
SAMCRO
 
SANTArelli25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,118
vCash: 12150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swervin81 View Post
Look at that beautiful hit by Loosik... No time? Okay. They need to give captaincy to Lalongo... oh wait. Those dumdums in Vancouver traded him. Give captaincy to Bieska because... No time? Okay. Back when I used to coach Bobby Orr... No time? Okay. Good ol Toronaaah boy.
It's so annoying how they're basically out of time by the first ten seconds.

SANTArelli25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 04:08 PM
  #179
octopi
Registered User
 
octopi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 31,534
vCash: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by TML FTW View Post
I never said Cherry was racist. I said he was xenophobic.

I don't understand why people say that like its so much better

"I think that person is beneath me because their skin is a much different tone"
"You're a monster"

"I think that person is beneath me because he's from (Insert foreign country here"
"Wow, you are so patriotic!"

Its not better because someone's a xenophobe.Please don't insult me(not at you directly but everyone) by insisting it is.


Here's a fun excersize

"Hey everyone, guess what I am half Asian!"
"Really, we couldn't tell because noone can see you on a message board"
"Wouldn't matter. I took after my dad and pass for white"

^My life story. People are usually surprised although a few can tell I am mixed.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 04:49 PM
  #180
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School
 
fly4apuckguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post
I don't understand why people say that like its so much better

"I think that person is beneath me because their skin is a much different tone"
"You're a monster"

"I think that person is beneath me because he's from (Insert foreign country here"
"Wow, you are so patriotic!"

Its not better because someone's a xenophobe.Please don't insult me(not at you directly but everyone) by insisting it is.


Here's a fun excersize

"Hey everyone, guess what I am half Asian!"
"Really, we couldn't tell because noone can see you on a message board"
"Wouldn't matter. I took after my dad and pass for white"

^My life story. People are usually surprised although a few can tell I am mixed.
He's neither so it is moot.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 05:48 PM
  #181
TML FTW*
GLG
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: T.O.
Country: Canada
Posts: 770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post
I don't understand why people say that like its so much better

"I think that person is beneath me because their skin is a much different tone"
"You're a monster"

"I think that person is beneath me because he's from (Insert foreign country here"
"Wow, you are so patriotic!"

Its not better because someone's a xenophobe.Please don't insult me(not at you directly but everyone) by insisting it is.


Here's a fun excersize

"Hey everyone, guess what I am half Asian!"
"Really, we couldn't tell because noone can see you on a message board"
"Wouldn't matter. I took after my dad and pass for white"

^My life story. People are usually surprised although a few can tell I am mixed.
I never said it was better. I haven't seen anyone ITT saying it's better. I was just clarifying what I'd said.

TML FTW* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 07:25 PM
  #182
Jussi
No strings on me
 
Jussi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 48,244
vCash: 500
Was there a CC today?

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 09:35 PM
  #183
ScottyBowman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Detroit
Country: United States
Posts: 2,141
vCash: 500
Yes their was. Not sure who unstickied this. Coach's corner still has 2 months left.

ScottyBowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 11:14 PM
  #184
Sartorial
#RegisteredUser
 
Sartorial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Saskatoon
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,127
vCash: 500
I guess I just don't get how punching someone in the face in the last period of the season when your team never made the playoffs makes you "the kind of guy teams win with". Don talked about how Chris Neil's late season fight shows he's a winner/character guy etc.

Sartorial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 11:49 PM
  #185
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School
 
fly4apuckguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sartorial View Post
I guess I just don't get how punching someone in the face in the last period of the season when your team never made the playoffs makes you "the kind of guy teams win with". Don talked about how Chris Neil's late season fight shows he's a winner/character guy etc.
The point is he is willing to put his face on the line even when the game is basically meaningless.

I more or less despise Chris Neil, but I know where he was going with that. Those are the guys that teammates love, believe me.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2014, 05:14 AM
  #186
BobDobolina
Registered User
 
BobDobolina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 4,302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
He's neither so it is moot.
Maybe he is actually a xenophobe maybe not, we don't know. But what we do know that he has a track record of saying blatantly xenophobic things in public. As username octopi pointed out, a person who'd say similar things about other races, which is the same thing, would be condemned and not celebrated for it like Cherry is in many circles. Personally I wouldn't give the benefit of the doubt to someone who repeatedly says things like this in public. People can appreciate him for other things but that doesn't make the disgusting stuff go away.

The fact that he grew up during a certain era is simply no excuse. We have people who grew up in a time where black people were considered inferior and the Japanese for example were still widely regarded as some kind of evil people. This doesn't mean such attitudes are acceptable in today's society. Cherry in his comment was referring to young Russian skiiers, not old Soviet officials and of course went out to bash his fellow countrymen for even liking a certain nationality in "their multiculturalism" so there goes that flimsy attempt to defend him. A narrow minded person is a narrow minded person whether he/she be 25 or 80.

BobDobolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2014, 11:26 AM
  #187
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School
 
fly4apuckguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDobolina View Post
Maybe he is actually a xenophobe maybe not, we don't know. But what we do know that he has a track record of saying blatantly xenophobic things in public. As username octopi pointed out, a person who'd say similar things about other races, which is the same thing, would be condemned and not celebrated for it like Cherry is in many circles. Personally I wouldn't give the benefit of the doubt to someone who repeatedly says things like this in public. People can appreciate him for other things but that doesn't make the disgusting stuff go away.

The fact that he grew up during a certain era is simply no excuse. We have people who grew up in a time where black people were considered inferior and the Japanese for example were still widely regarded as some kind of evil people. This doesn't mean such attitudes are acceptable in today's society. Cherry in his comment was referring to young Russian skiiers, not old Soviet officials and of course went out to bash his fellow countrymen for even liking a certain nationality in "their multiculturalism" so there goes that flimsy attempt to defend him. A narrow minded person is a narrow minded person whether he/she be 25 or 80.
You referring to people like me, for example, as undereducated rural Canadians (despite my degree on the wall you have made fun of on many occasions) is also xenophobic then, wouldn't you say? You wrote that on a public forum and then edited it when I called you on it.

People say things all the time. Actions speak louder than words. His job is to elicit a response and get people to watch. That he uses some outrageous sounding comments from time to time does not mean he is anything but a TV personality that sometimes says outrageous things.

Having been lucky enough to have met the man when I was quite young, I learned immediately what was in his heart and certainly got the feeling I was talking to someone who cares about people. He is not narrow minded. He is not xenophobic. He is not racist. He is just a famous guy who (like Chris Rock or Don Rickles) says some outrageous things in order to get a response, be it a laugh, a newspaper article, or a comment from some angry American or Russian on a message board.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2014, 03:01 PM
  #188
BiggestLeafsFanEVER*
GO LEAFS GO
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDobolina View Post
Maybe he is actually a xenophobe maybe not, we don't know. But what we do know that he has a track record of saying blatantly xenophobic things in public. As username octopi pointed out, a person who'd say similar things about other races, which is the same thing, would be condemned and not celebrated for it like Cherry is in many circles. Personally I wouldn't give the benefit of the doubt to someone who repeatedly says things like this in public. People can appreciate him for other things but that doesn't make the disgusting stuff go away.

The fact that he grew up during a certain era is simply no excuse. We have people who grew up in a time where black people were considered inferior and the Japanese for example were still widely regarded as some kind of evil people. This doesn't mean such attitudes are acceptable in today's society. Cherry in his comment was referring to young Russian skiiers, not old Soviet officials and of course went out to bash his fellow countrymen for even liking a certain nationality in "their multiculturalism" so there goes that flimsy attempt to defend him. A narrow minded person is a narrow minded person whether he/she be 25 or 80.
i agree with that. it's pretty pathetic to just shrug off his hatred of certain groups based on nationality as being legit bc he's 'old school' and 'patriotic'

BiggestLeafsFanEVER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2014, 04:43 PM
  #189
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School
 
fly4apuckguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggestLeafsFanEVER View Post
i agree with that. it's pretty pathetic to just shrug off his hatred of certain groups based on nationality as being legit bc he's 'old school' and 'patriotic'
Even more pathetic to claim he has hatred for someone when he doesn't.

That word is thrown around way too easy around here. It minimizes the plights of people who have had to put up with real hatred in society, not situations where an old guy on TV says that country's players are wimps or something equally innocuous.

Do you even watch Don Cherry or do you just make this **** up based on decade old quotes and what Bob and other people say? The guy you quoted says worse about Canada than Don has ever said about anyone else.

How many times have you read on this message board about people who are "sick of Canadian arrogance"?

From about a week ago...speaking of Canadians...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDobolina View Post
Some weird sense entitlement about hockey. These people seem genuinely afraid of "their game" (lol) being somehow taken away from them.
Where are you when that HATRED needs to be addressed?

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2014, 05:41 PM
  #190
BobDobolina
Registered User
 
BobDobolina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 4,302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
You referring to people like me, for example, as undereducated rural Canadians (despite my degree on the wall you have made fun of on many occasions) is also xenophobic then, wouldn't you say? You wrote that on a public forum and then edited it when I called you on it.
Haha... the fact that you continuously go as far as making up lies really says it all about your desperation. I expect nothing less from a person like you. Do you have actual facts or are you just going to keep making them up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post

From about a week ago...speaking of Canadians...



Where are you when that HATRED needs to be addressed?
Yes, referring to some Canadian people who hate on Southern franchises which was the very topic of the whole thread. Again, how desperate can someone get?

Nice to see you keep a close eye on my posts though, I appreciate the support.


Last edited by BobDobolina: 04-17-2014 at 05:47 PM.
BobDobolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2014, 08:25 PM
  #191
beauchamp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Laval, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,893
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
(...)

From about a week ago...speaking of Canadians...

" Originally Posted by BobDobolina View Post
Some weird sense entitlement about hockey. These people seem genuinely afraid of "their game" (lol) being somehow taken away from them."


Where are you when that HATRED needs to be addressed?

Was he really talking about Canadians, or some Canadians who hated the fact that the NHL had franchises in the South?


Last edited by TK: 04-18-2014 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Nope.
beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2014, 11:03 PM
  #192
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School
 
fly4apuckguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post

Was he really talking about Canadians, or some Canadians who hated the fact that the NHL had franchises in the South?
Go check out what players he slams all the time. I am not making it up.

This is the guy you are defending for the sake of bashing Cherry. Nice, beauchamp.

That quote is not out of context, by the way. He was talking about Canadians, period. He thinks it of you and me. But go ahead and keep defending him while he laughs at you.


Last edited by TK: 04-18-2014 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Not needed.
fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2014, 09:46 AM
  #193
CaptBrannigan
Registered User
 
CaptBrannigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Tampa
Country: United States
Posts: 2,900
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I thought he was going to say "good for you, Bouillon to have defended Desharnais" but all he could say was "Bouillon had a visor".

He really cannot find one good thing to say about that team. Typical Toronto homerism.
And now he addresses Habs as "we"! Just have to lol and shake your head sometimes I guess.

CaptBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2014, 09:57 AM
  #194
Pepper
Registered User
 
Pepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 14,508
vCash: 500
Ron Mclean at the end...lmao, Don was like "mmmmm you actually did that noooooooooooooo"

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2014, 06:54 PM
  #195
Jussi
No strings on me
 
Jussi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 48,244
vCash: 500
Don stood up for a Swede.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2014, 06:56 PM
  #196
Jussi
No strings on me
 
Jussi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 48,244
vCash: 500
Obligatory Bobby Orr clip.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2014, 07:56 PM
  #197
beauchamp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Laval, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,893
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
(...)

This is the guy you are defending for the sake of bashing Cherry. Nice, beauchamp.

That quote is not out of context, by the way. He was talking about Canadians, period. He thinks it of you and me. But go ahead and keep defending him while he laughs at you.
I'm bashing The Coach, whenever he says something stupid. He gives me a lot of material...

And it was out of context...

Saying Nigeria is in South America twenty times will not make it so.

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2014, 10:35 PM
  #198
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School
 
fly4apuckguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
I'm bashing The Coach, whenever he says something stupid. He gives me a lot of material...

And it was out of context...

Saying Nigeria is in South America twenty times will not make it so.
I have no idea what Nigeria and South America have to do with anything in this conversation.

Ask me about what he said about my (his words) "isolated little village" sometime and then tell me about what I know regarding context.

The guy hates Canada and Canadians, and maybe you do too. In fact, I am starting to think your "I am from Quebec" speeches are a load of garbage.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2014, 02:16 AM
  #199
BobDobolina
Registered User
 
BobDobolina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 4,302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
I have no idea what Nigeria and South America have to do with anything in this conversation.

Ask me about what he said about my (his words) "isolated little village" sometime and then tell me about what I know regarding context.

The guy hates Canada and Canadians, and maybe you do too. In fact, I am starting to think your "I am from Quebec" speeches are a load of garbage.
It means that you making stuff up or twisting someones words doesn't make your claims true.

To further display your desperation, I went and found the post you were referring to and fail to see what was so horrible and anti-Canadian about it. You are really reaching, a tactic no doubt learned from Don Cherry.

E: And still reaching it seems. When all else fails, deflect attention and start making up stuff, eh? Oh no I just edited another post too.. do tell what awful things I said to insult the world this time?


Last edited by BobDobolina: 04-19-2014 at 09:28 AM.
BobDobolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2014, 08:43 AM
  #200
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School
 
fly4apuckguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDobolina View Post
It means that you making stuff up or twisting someones words doesn't make your claims true.

To further display your desperation, I went and found the post you were referring to and fail to see what was so horrible and anti-Canadian about it. You are really reaching, a tactic no doubt learned from Don Cherry.
I would just like to point out that at the bottom of that quote, there is a little area that shows it was edited.

I am not going to forget what it said prior to that edit just because you want me to.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:55 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.