HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Newsday 8/17: Update on DiPietro contract

Closed Thread

Old
08-17-2005, 11:20 AM
NYIsles1*

vCash: 500
Newsday 8/17: Update on DiPietro contract

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...orts-headlines

DiPietro still without pact
Though heís the teamís No. 1 goalie, he hasnít been the No. 1 priority when it comes to money

Mike Milbury hasn't spoken with DiPietro's agent, Boston-based Paul Krepelka, in almost two weeks, but Milbury yesterday said, "It's obviously time to start getting down to business with Ricky." He then added ominously, "We only have so much in the till to go around." There was enough, however, to give recently acquired defenseman Brent Sopel a two-year contract yesterday worth $4.8 million to avoid arbitration.

Last month, Krepelka offered proposals of three and five years, but the Islanders declined both. After three years, DiPietro would be an unrestricted free agent and a five-year deal would command a higher average salary. In the NHL salary-cap system, contract average is what counts against the cap each year, not the exact number a player earns that season.

"Ricky's going to have to have some business savvy here," Milbury said of his first overall pick in 2000. "He has to understand the situation we're in. We obviously want him in as a big part of our franchise ... Now may not be the time for a long-term situation." DiPietro can accept a one-year deal and take the team to arbitration next summer. It is also possible another team could sign him to an offer sheet and force the Islanders to match or lose him.

"But DiPietro doesn't want to go anywhere. He bought a house in Oyster Bay and lived on Long Island throughout most of the lockout. "I really love it here," he said. "It's some place I really want to be long-term. I want to be a part of this team winning the Stanley Cup again."

Old
08-17-2005, 11:35 AM
Diamond Dan 5150

Send a message via AIM to Diamond Dan 5150
Not locking up the franchise cornerstone is a disaster waiting to happen.

Old
08-17-2005, 11:47 AM
eastonhockey22*

I think a franchise cornerstone is someone whos proven he plays at an all stat level at his position. Not someone who just plays 1 season of good hockey. Heatly is a franchise player. Not because he was drafted in the 1st round but because of his age and results on the Ice. I dont know, at this point, that anyone can claim Dipetro is one of the top 15 goalies in Hockey.

Old
08-17-2005, 11:59 AM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Dan 5150
Not locking up the franchise cornerstone is a disaster waiting to happen.
I disagree with you. NYI and DP should go with a one-year deal. This is going to be DP's FIRST season as the #1 goaltender. All signs indicate he is going to be the real deal, but NYI still need to be cautious by not committing long term to a kid that hasn't player one full season as a starter - too risky in this cap world.

The risk is two fold. One, the infamous offer sheet (i don't see it happening). Two, NYI have 1/3 payroll tied up in 3 guys, if DP has a BIG year, gets NYI into 2nd round or further, then he's gonna command a contract higher than Kipper (i'm sure that will be the starting point.

And unless the hockey world changes in one year, the cap is not going to increase next year. Therefore, NYI have 4 players consuming even more cap space + those 'restricted' players on 1 year deals that may have lived up to expectations and seek more money (ie., Kvasha, Hunter, York, etc.).

I think MM handled this the right way by signing most parts of the team first, then handling DP. NYI have the leverage here, but need to be cautious of paying an adequate salary. As Hahn said, NYI could just pay him the league minimum.

Old
08-17-2005, 02:30 PM
Fan101

Pay Scale

DiPietro is 23 so you need to compare him with the other high round goalie picks in his age group like Biron on BUF or Raycroft on BOS, not Khabibulin or Cujo.

Old
08-17-2005, 06:16 PM
KH1

DiPietro deserves to get his money. He really did perform admirably for us last season. That being said, he hasn't ever been a starter in the NHL for a full season and while I personally believe that he has what it takes to be a star in the NHL he hasn't proven that.

Giving him a big contract now is not a smart move. His contract situation should be re-assesed in the offseason.

Old
08-17-2005, 08:47 PM
IslesJack

Send a message via ICQ to IslesJack Send a message via AIM to IslesJack
What happend in the Salo arbitration hearing that made him shed tears? I don't recall what was said.

Old
08-17-2005, 11:54 PM
mitchy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYIsles1
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...orts-headlines
There was enough, however, to give recently acquired defenseman Brent Sopel a two-year contract yesterday worth $4.8 million to avoid arbitration.
I thought it was $2.4 million over 2 years not EACH year????

OK, I just read the other thread I guess this is still in question....*crosses fingers for 1.2/year*.

Mitch

Last edited by mitchy22: 08-18-2005 at 12:02 AM.
Old
08-18-2005, 10:05 AM
Diamond Dan 5150

Send a message via AIM to Diamond Dan 5150
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikkomakela24
I think a franchise cornerstone is someone whos proven he plays at an all stat level at his position. Not someone who just plays 1 season of good hockey. Heatly is a franchise player. Not because he was drafted in the 1st round but because of his age and results on the Ice. I dont know, at this point, that anyone can claim Dipetro is one of the top 15 goalies in Hockey.
A franchise cornerstone is a player you expect to be there for 10 years. A franchise cornerstone is a player who if he goes down, you expect your team to be doomed.

Now if one player goes down for the season to injury, which player is the one you want to see on IR the least???

If DiPietro gets injured this team is sunk.

Ask Bobby Clarke about the importance of franchise goaltenders.

Closed Thread