HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Everything I learned in life was taught to me through Hockey

Old
04-01-2014, 03:43 PM
Pierre Gotye

vCash: 500
Everything I learned in life was taught to me through Hockey

Everything I know in life was taught to me through HockeyÖ

-Make sure you come early enough to the games. Be prompt, and communicate with your team coordinator. It makes their life so much easier.

-Learn how to take pain with ease, but also learn how to dish it out where necessary.

-If your skate isnít sharp, it probably should be, in order to maximize your performance.

-The guys with the most worn out looking or minimized equipment are typically the best players on the ice.

-There is always a code. Itís never taught to you, nor is it ever fully explained in detail. But know how to apply it when you figure it out. If you donít understand it, youíll always be out of the loop.

-Team chemistry is everything. You either have it, or you falter.

-Goalies are always the guy you depend on the most. Rise, fail, or succeed, theyíll either make you look good, or really bad. But they also have the hardest job when the puck drops, so be nice to your Goalies. Most importantly donít forget to protect them, and theyíll end up protecting you in the process.

-Being a Captain or team organizer is the worst job in the world. Itís also the toughest. Hope you never have to be one. But always lend them a hand where you can.

-Talk to the refs. They wear black and white for a reason. Sometimes theyíre your friends, other times theyíre working against you. Be cordial, but donít talk to them or goat them too much.

-Playing defenseman is hard. You always get beat up the most, have to skate the hardest, and make the quickest decisions. Your job is always thankless. Learn how to take care of and love your defenseman and everything else will always fall right into place.

-A forward should always be on the attack. If he isnít he doesnít recognize how easy his job is.

-Some guys are clearly loafers, others are ringers. Everyone else is just a Hockey player.

-Fans always set the atmosphere. But what they see isnít always what happens on the ice. Never trust the fans of any team.

-Puck possession matters. It makes all difference in the outcomes of games. You either have it, or you spend your entire life chasing it.

-The quality of the ice helps. You either have a solid foundation, or you donít.

-Show some emotion to ignite passion to motivate your team-mates. Just make sure you donít show too much.

-Bad games and bad outcomes happen. Deal with it and move on, but donít get too caught up in them.

And finallyÖ

There are lines and boundaries clearly marked on the ice. You can always skate the fine lines, but when you cross them, theyíll always work against you.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 06:12 PM
Goonzilla
Welcome to my house!

If everything you learned in life was through hockey I'd be a little worried. Certainly you can learn plenty through participating in sports and a lot of things that can be applied outside of sports and to life in general, including hard work and effort, pushing yourself, working with others and also dealing with failure.

When I've coached I've always tried to get the kids to learn that they are better and more capable than they might think they are, that effort and preparation with a little talent goes further than talent without effort and that the other guy is never quite as good or better than you than you might think. Also not everyone can get the prize, but if you play and do as well as you can that you get the result more often than not.

I liked Gretzky's '100% of the shots you don't take don't go in'. That applies just as much off the ice or sports field .

Goonzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 03:15 PM
JulianHopper*

Good post.

Any team sports in general are good positive influences on anyone's life, especially kids.

JulianHopper* is offline   Reply With Quote