HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Return on equipment investment?

Old
03-28-2014, 11:54 AM
jazzykat

vCash: 500
Return on equipment investment?

So hockey is a great money pit like any hobby and I have no qualms about it.

I have a lot of nice gear and I'm thinking that some of it is definitely overkill. Has there every been a quantative analysis or assessment that shows what the return on investment is in terms of "fun" and/or "performance". Clearly that is very hard to do with terms like fun and performance.

In the end, I am pretty sure I was having the same amount of fun with my $50 as I am with my $200 stick...yet I still want the $200 stick...?

Given my weight I think U+10s would still be fine and would have held up just as well as my U+

jazzykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 02:35 PM
leftwinger37

I think the return on investment is going to be different for everyone. Hockey has always been a big part of my life and I enjoy playing the game more now than I ever have. Coincidentally, I'm able to afford things now that I would have never had the balls to ask my Mom for when I was a youngster; Ask my wife how well that has turned out... Needless to say, its an "ongoing investment."

Regardless, the game has given me so much over the years that I don't even really care to explore how much money I've put into playing it. In addition to providing me with so much enjoyment, I have gained lifelong friends, learned life lessons, built character and leadership skills, and stayed active. I'm 30 years old and I still play street hockey during the summer with the same guys I played with when when I was 12. (Cliche Alert!) You can't put a price tag on those things...

leftwinger37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 03:01 PM
CunniJA

Well, in economic terms, it's really hard to quantify utility.

On the other hand, you probably could actually objectively determine the marginal benefit and cost of getting the more expensive stick vs. the cheap one or the marginal benefit and cost of the next-highest skate model. I guess you could measure shot and skating speed. Ha ha ha.

I'm certainly not the type to be buying crazy lights and stuff. I pretty much buy the cheapest crap that's still halfway decent. $100 sticks, U+06s, $50 pads shoulder/elbow/shins... nothing too crazy.

CunniJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 03:01 PM
Goonzilla
Welcome to my house!

It is a drain or money magnet for sure, but the great thing about being older is not to have to worry too much about it. If you want what Malkin or Crosby has you can get it and don't even have to pretend for a second that you need it or it makes you a better player.

Kids stuff is different, not least that they grow out of things quick, but I've seen no shortage of kids in the most expensive basketball sneakers that can barely make a shot or jump. They get the entry level, then if they keep with it and show some promise and effort they get the better stuff.

Goonzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 03:48 AM
American in Paris

I score more goals with my $40 14k 65 flex stick than the guys on my team with $200 OPS.

Not sure how to quantify fun. But if you are looking for hockey performance, you'll get a better ROI from concientious practice and extra ice time than fancy equipment.

American in Paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 11:34 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

A lot of the protective gear isn't so much about making it more fun as it is making it suck less when you get hurt.

With protective gear, I learned my lesson early on about buying cheap, buying twice. Once I figured out what I liked, I stopped buying stuff, and now I got to the point I don't want to replace anything because I'm comfortable.

Really the only thing that changes for me are sticks, which I switch up a lot. And again, I have the "buy cheap, buy twice" issue. I have 7-8 sticks, almost all of which were bought on clearance, and I only really like a couple of them. All the cheaper ones have issues with weight, balance, or puck feel to some extent.

I don't break sticks often and I'd be happy buying one clearance high end stick per year, even if it's "higher" at the $150-180 mark. That's about $10-12 per month. And yeah, I get a lot more enjoyment out of that stick than I do with the cheap ones.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 02:13 PM
McDugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
A lot of the protective gear isn't so much about making it more fun as it is making it suck less when you get hurt.
I don't know, I find I have more fun wearing some of the newer, higher end pieces of gear I've acquired as opposed to the set of pretty crappy starter stuff I had. Mostly because I'm so much more comfortable. I've made light weight and breathability/moisture management my primary focus in acquiring new gear. Not to the point of putting myself at risk, but for me that;'s a much higher priority than having the absolute most protective pads. And I find the resulting comfort makes my ice time much more enjoyable.

McDugan is offline   Reply With Quote