HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Niskanen

Old
03-30-2014, 10:08 PM
BigNickBjugstad

vCash: 500
Niskanen

Is this guy going to sign a new contract in Pittsburgh?

Or do you reckon he will walk?

How much does he want, and what would be a fair contract for him?

Also, how has Goc been for you guys so far?

BigNickBjugstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2014, 10:21 PM
gordie
Journeyman Despres

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNickBjugstad View Post

He's a 5th Defenseman and will get more money somewhere else. Goc has been good and is missed already.

gordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2014, 10:34 PM
penguins2946*

Goc has been great, then his foot almost came off. On Niskanen, I wouldn't re-sign him. He'd cost too much money for too long to play as a 5th D, not to mention how Pouliot may be able to what he does by next year.

penguins2946* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2014, 10:41 PM
AR5

I say, let Orpik + Scuderi + Engo + Adams + Pyatt + Nisky walk. Retire #58, unfortunately, sounds like his stroke has left him a shell of a man. On an interview, he said, on "bad days" he can't walk in a straight line, and has blurry vision, etc.

Bring up Pouliot + Sill + Zolniercik. Sign Jokinen + Goc + Stemper (!!!!!)

Let Dupuis play third line with Kesler (For Sutter/Despres) and Bennet.

And good to go. Maybe get a better backup goalie to replace Vokoun though.

Bortz and Martin can take Orpik/Scuderi's place. With Bennet, Gibbons, Megna, Goc, and the AHL guys, a lot of the depth in the third line is there now.
And with all the cap space, the Pens will have room for a Kesler and a goal scoring Dman from free agency.

AR5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2014, 11:32 PM
66-30-33

He will walk to the highest bidder, which wont be us. I want this team to go in a different direction with a new guy leading the team. Goc has been good, same with our other new guy Stempniak.

66-30-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2014, 11:40 PM
Shockmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR5 View Post
I say, let Orpik + Scuderi + Engo + Adams + Pyatt + Nisky walk. Retire #58, unfortunately, sounds like his stroke has left him a shell of a man. On an interview, he said, on "bad days" he can't walk in a straight line, and has blurry vision, etc.

Bring up Pouliot + Sill + Zolniercik. Sign Jokinen + Goc + Stemper (!!!!!)

Let Dupuis play third line with Kesler (For Sutter/Despres) and Bennet.

And good to go. Maybe get a better backup goalie to replace Vokoun though.

Bortz and Martin can take Orpik/Scuderi's place. With Bennet, Gibbons, Megna, Goc, and the AHL guys, a lot of the depth in the third line is there now.
And with all the cap space, the Pens will have room for a Kesler and a goal scoring Dman from free agency.

Scuderi can't walk as he's under contract. Also since he signed that contract last off season, he cannot be bought out.

Shockmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 12:24 AM
stefanh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
Scuderi can't walk as he's under contract. Also since he signed that contract last off season, he cannot be bought out.
He can be bought out but not in a compliance buyout

stefanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 12:44 AM
Honour Over Glory
===========

3 more years of Scuds...or we could have 4 more years of Niskanen.

I'd rather have the latter.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 01:02 AM
Jules Winnfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
3 more years of Scuds...or we could have 4 more years of Niskanen.

I'd rather have the latter.
With a defensive coach, I'd rather have Scuds. With the clown we have behind the bench, I'd rather have Niskanen.

Can't make a decision on who I'd rather have without knowing who is behind the bench.

Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 01:55 AM
DoktorZaius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
With a defensive coach, I'd rather have Scuds. With the clown we have behind the bench, I'd rather have Niskanen.

Can't make a decision on who I'd rather have without knowing who is behind the bench.
With their ages and career trends, I'd def prefer Nisky.

DoktorZaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 03:59 AM
Farnham4top6
Despres #1D

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordie View Post
He's a 5th Defenseman and will get more money somewhere else. Goc has been good and is missed already.
He's a top 4 dman and he has played like a #2 most of this year.

And I have a feeling he is gonna choose work-security over money.

Farnham4top6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 05:18 AM
Will Hunting
Immortal Adams

Ad Niskanen... 5th defenseman, let him walk, Scuds is a better player than Nisky under different coach etc.. WTF guys, is this real world?

Nisky is our best D-man all year long (AINEC), handling 1st pair minutes. I hope that Shero signs him (under 5M would be glorious). And for the OP information, the word is that Shero really wants to keep Niskanen in PIT, but who knows if he can do it.

As for Goc, he was supersolid but then he got hurt. Hoping to have him back for the playoffs.

Will Hunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 05:39 AM
NMK11

With the cap going up and Letang's future in question, I wouldn't be surprised to see Niskanen resigned. I highly doubt this management is going to want to walk into next season without Orpik, Nisky, Letang, and Engelland. That essentially leaves Martin, Maatta, Bort, and Despres as proven Dmen. So even if DP is ready, you're 6 and 7 are still also rookies and we all know that having 3 rookies on the D rotation will give Bylsma an aneurysm.

As for Goc, has been really solid so far, but small sample size. I really wish we're able to hold on to him, but that'll be unlikely unless either Sutter or JJ gets moved, there's just no place for him otherwise unless you want to pay your 4C several million. Sutter is already under contract, and Juice is better as a winger and can move into the top 6 if needed, so we just need to see what management values more.

NMK11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 06:46 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:

I tend to think Niskanen will leave in UFA but I can't totally rule out him being re-signed. The odds are in favor of him leaving though. I just think another team can and will offer him something he can't refuse.
Quote:
He probably wants at least 5 million per and 5 years. He's probably worth closer to 4 million per though.
Quote:
Tough to judge Goc because he's had the misfortune of being iced alongside guys like Adams and Glass who suck and can't help him at all. Now Goc is hurt. To me he looked like a solid player that wasn't getting much help from bad linemates. He's definitely a guy I'd like to keep around beyond this season.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 06:56 AM
canadianguy77

Quote:
I have to disagree. He's been our most consistent D-man all year. Mattaa and him have been our best pairing all year. Things went south when DB split them up, presumably to get 44 and 4 out of their "funk."

Simon and Bortuzzo haven't played together long enough or have had enough minutes when they did play together for me to say that they've been the best pairing. Sample size is too small, but they have looked outright dominant at times. Too bad Despres has extreme ref hate for whatever reason.

(Related: Does anyone know why that's been the case?)

Not to get too OT, but I think those 4 are a top-4 defence on any team in the league. A smart coach would know how to use them for 25 mins/game/pairing. Scuds and Orpik/Martin would play 10 minutes/game against 4th lines...which is what we'll need in these playoffs.

I didn't include 58 into the plans...because we just don't know either way.

Last edited by canadianguy77: 03-31-2014 at 07:09 AM.
canadianguy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 08:23 AM
Black Label

He's had a great year but I don't see him being resigned because he's a bit redundant compared to our other defensemen.

Goc is already injured (fitting in perfectly with the rest of the team).

Black Label is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 09:20 AM
orby

I'm neither here nor there on Niskanen. He's been rock-solid this year, sure, but this is the only season where he's been more than just adequate. Giving him a 4 million per year contract (which I think someone will) based on one above-average season seems like something the team might regret in the coming years. There are also a lot of guys in the pipeline who are likely to crack the NHL roster next season (Harrington, Dumoulin, Pouliot) and Niskanen might become pretty redundant.

Like I said, though, he's been fantastic this year and I'd still be a little bit sad to see him go. I'm certainly glad the Pens didn't take us up on our early-season idea trade him for Kyle Clifford

Re: Goc, before his injury he looked good. Consistently the best player in the Pens' bottom 6 in terms of faceoffs, winning puck battles along the boards and such. Can't wait to have him back and I think the Pens should consider retaining him over Brandon Sutter if it comes down to that.

orby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 05:25 PM
wej20

Quote:

Unlikely he re-signs here for a number of reasons:
  • If (and it's a big if) everyone is healthy he's get 2nd unit PP time, #4 ES minutes and no PK time.
  • He's coming off his best season is a young UFA so there will be a lot of demand for him.
  • With Maatta looking so great Pens should be looking to clear space on their defense not re-sign guys even a guy like Nisky who has had a good year.

Quote:
Probably close to 5 million for 5/6 years. He's probably worth 4-4.25 for about 4 years, this is his best season comfortable and has had a few rough years in the past. I do think he would be worth that as he has matured a lot this year and is hitting his best years (theoretically).

Ideally he's a #3/4 who is your 2nd PP dmen (whether that's the 2nd guy on your top unit or the 1st on your 2nd unit depending how your PP is configured). He's neither a gunner or a PPQB but he can do a little bit of both. He can handle good ES minutes but probably not consistently against top units (depending on his partner of course) and be the #4 dmen in terms of the PK. He skates well, can lug the puck, make a nice first pass, does lay the body but isn't particularly strong so can get out muscled along the boards or in front of the net. I guess to sum it up he's above average or average in almost every area.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 05:29 PM
gordie
Journeyman Despres

Phoenix coach Dave Tippett when asked about Niskanen said he is a good 5th Defenseman and I agree with that educated opinion.

Old
03-31-2014, 05:39 PM
wej20

Quote:
Phoenix coach Dave Tippett when asked about Niskanen said he is a good 5th Defenseman and I agree with that educated opinion.
When was this?

Old
03-31-2014, 05:41 PM
gordie
Journeyman Despres

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
When was this?
Two years ago he was asked about him and its when Tippett coached Niskanen in Dallas.

Old
03-31-2014, 05:52 PM
Fordy
the kid signify

Hopefully he will walk.

Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 05:56 PM
wej20

Quote:
Two years ago he was asked about him and its when Tippett coached Niskanen in Dallas.
Ah I see, at the time he was right.

Old
03-31-2014, 07:13 PM
joeyjake5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
All contracts, no matter when signed are subject to regular buy-outs. You are confusing it with compliance buy-outs.

joeyjake5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 07:19 PM
12IsGreaterThan47
BEN LOVEJOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
When was this?
Yea, I can't imagine another coach saying that about a player.

Was Tippet with Niskanen in Dallas? Maybe something there.

12IsGreaterThan47 is offline   Reply With Quote