HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Coaching Thread - Part III

View Poll Results: What do you think should happen to Eakins?
Fire him NOW 100 48.78%
Give him at least a couple months next season 56 27.32%
Give him at least one more full season 38 18.54%
Stick with him for many more years because he will work out 11 5.37%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-04-2014, 02:10 AM
McArthur

vCash: 500
am I the only one that credits some of the 2006 miracle to Craig Simpson as an assistant coach?

McArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 02:10 AM
Sheikyerbouti
ShakeyerMcBooty

3. Immediate moratorium of all chopping of wood and carrying of water

4. Construction of Kenny Rogers chicken surrounding his home

5. Dustin Penner

Sheikyerbouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 02:15 AM
Oiltankjob Fail

vCash: 50
Well I hope for Eakins sake he picks up 2 points in final 5 games or he coached Oilers to their 2nd worst record in history.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 02:22 AM
Tarus
FireChia#

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob Fail View Post
Well I hope for Eakins sake he picks up 2 points in final 5 games or he coached Oilers to their 2nd worst record in history.
The playoff teams they are playing are all in cruise mode, good chance they'll be able to scrape by

If that fails, they play Vancouver in the final game of the season

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 02:24 AM
CanadianSuperPromise

Why don't we protest the players? They're just as responsible as Eakins, if not more. Gagner, RNH and others of their ilk have sucked just as bad as Eakins at doing their job.

Last edited by CanadianSuperPromise: 04-04-2014 at 02:37 AM.
CanadianSuperPromise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 02:29 AM
McDNicks17
McDavid Has Arrived

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheikyerbouti View Post
3. Immediate moratorium of all chopping of wood and carrying of water

4. Construction of Kenny Rogers chicken surrounding his home

5. Dustin Penner
I'm liking #3.

Everyone brings wood and water to the game and blatantly doesn't chop or carry it.

I haven't quite figured out to bring said water without carrying it though.

McDNicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 08:32 AM
AJGass4

He won't get fired, but he should.

He had me fooled last summer. But this was the worst coach team in the NHL by a long shot.

AJGass4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 08:52 AM
Gord
Tesla

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
I'm liking #3.

Everyone brings wood and water to the game and blatantly doesn't chop or carry it.

I haven't quite figured out to bring said water without carrying it though.
drink a lot of beer before the game?

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 08:53 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
He doesn't have the lineup he needs to succeed.
He's not helping.

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 08:56 AM
Section337

Occupy Wall Street.

Call yourself the 99'rs movement.

Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 09:12 AM
CornKicker
Tied with Lander G's

i think the overall idea is bad but a protest with everyone wearing suits and spraying each other with water is the only real approach if thats what you want to do.

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 09:15 AM
Kulleroinen*

Get some small waterguns and spray him

Kulleroinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 09:30 AM
Tirefire
-

Burn yourself alive out front of the Oilers office. Only through self-immolation can the point really be made that Eakins is the wrong coach, and these silly protest the coach threads cease.

It is painfully obvious that a large part of the Oilers roster is either inexperienced and learning and/or completely uncoachable.

Gagner makes the same rookie mistakes over and over, the Oilers D corps turn their brain off for minutes at a time, and collectively they struggle playing a sound defensive game. They had zero goaltending for most of the year and no identity - were they an offensive juggernaut, a possession team, a defensive dump and chase team?

Give Eakins some players, then judge him. I thought at first he was just over his head but seeing the Oilers play the season, I have had a change of heart. Yes the swarm was an abject failure and he has made some questionable coaching decisions. As a rookie, he gets to make mistakes as well. But MacT wanted him so he has to put up with his mistakes.

This is on the players, not the coach. Management gets the players. Managment erred on the players the team needed out of the gate. If this dumpster fire continues next year and we have a better 2nd line C (Arcobello and dump Gagner, at least he competes in both sides of the puck), a better 3rd line, a better top 4 D and get better goaltending (that shouldn't be too hard) and we still finish in the bottom 3 then dump Eakins end of next year.

Or protest away....

Last edited by Tirefire: 04-04-2014 at 10:23 AM.
Tirefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 09:42 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by McArthur View Post
am I the only one that credits some of the 2006 miracle to Craig Simpson as an assistant coach?
Did we have Simpson and Huddy at this time?

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 10:08 AM
freedomisamyth

This right here is the only answer. That'll show them.

Protesting the coach is pretty much the stupidest thing I have ever heard. You have no clue how he actually coaches, I'm sure you have no clue about his systems, and yet you've decided to waste your time protesting the coach because of some vague, unsupported ideas that he's the big problem? You do realize that they've been a bad team for 7 years before Eakins got here right? That doesn't tell you that something else might be the problem?

Seriously, there's way more important things in life to be protesting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer8 View Post
Burn yourself alive out front of the Oilers office. Only through self-immolation can the point really be made that Eakins is the wrong coach, and these silly protest the coach threads cease.

It is painfully obvious that a large part of the Oilers roster is either inexperienced and learning and/or completely uncoachable.

Gagner makes the same rookie mistakes over and over, the a Oilers D corps turn their brain off for minutes at a time, and collectively they struggle playing a sound defensive game. They had zero goaltending for most of the year and no identity - were they an offensive juggernaut, a possession team, a defensive dump and chase team?

Give Eakins some players, then judge him. I thought at first he was just over his head but seeing the Oilers play the season, I have had a change of heart. Yes the swarm was an abject failure and he has made some questionable coaching decisions. As a rookie, he gets to make mistakes as well. But MacT wanted him so he has to put up with his mistakes.

This is on the players, not the coach. Management gets the players. Managment erred on the players the team needed out of the gate. If this dumpster fire continues next year and we have a better 2nd line C (Arcobello and dump Gagner, at least he competes in both sides of the puck), a better 3rd line, a better top 4 D and get better goaltending (that shouldn't be too hard) and we still finish in the bottom 3 then dump Eakins end of next year.

Or protest away....

freedomisamyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 10:26 AM
ChaoticOrange*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRadicals View Post
Why don't we protest the players? They're just as responsible as Eakins, if not more. Gagner, RNH and others of their ilk have sucked just as bad as Eakins at doing their job.
This x 100000.

As someone else said Bowman couldn't have gotten this team to the playoffs. Eakins was given the reins to a team with the worst D in the NHL on paper and we all knew it going in, and what was supposed to be at least league average goaltending in Dubnyk went straight off of a cliff, not to mention we are the lowest scoring team in the western conference despite being built to be an offensive team.

No doubt Eakins could have been better but I would go so far as to say that a change in coaching would not help us at all. A bottom 6 that can chip in a goal more than once a month and a couple actual NHL defencemen would go a long way.

ChaoticOrange* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 10:33 AM
Hockey Fan #751

Sure. Protest the players until they demand a trade out of town. It won't take long, trust me. It'll be easy to get better players in after that.

Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 10:35 AM
Blizzard19

Adam Oates and Craig Simpson would be great hires. Along with a top 3 pick, the future would be bright.

Colorado not only has Roy but also has Joe Sakic running the front office. Plus the last 2 drafts landing Landeskog and McKinnon. They were able to turn things around quickly drafting the right players and bringing in the right people. There is no reason the Oilers can't do close to the same thing....

Blizzard19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 10:45 AM
ChaoticOrange*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
Sure. Protest the players until they demand a trade out of town. It won't take long, trust me. It'll be easy to get better players in after that.
No one wants to ACTUALLY protest the players I hope..

That said There's only a handful of guys on the roster right now that get a passing grade on the season as a whole (Hall, Perron, Petry (yes, Petry, his advanced stats are excellent) Gordon (his zonestarts are absolutely unbelievable) Marincin, Klefbom, Scrivens/Fasth)

I'd say everyone else has underperformed or was simply in over their head (even Hall has, but even at his worst he's our best player)

ChaoticOrange* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 10:54 AM
NugeFan

"Chop Eakins, Carry him back to Toronto"

NugeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 10:56 AM
DregerFan

as i said in another thread:

Quote:
wouldn't be surprised if katz tries to pull a power move and get nicholson as the new president of hockey ops. would appease all the lowe haters and also give him the much needed attendance for next year (and until the arena gets built).

signed,
a huge jay brown fan.
this move could pave the way a potential eakins replacement as well. maybe he won't do it, but since nicholson is from Calgary, i think that katz is gonna try.

DregerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 11:02 AM
Fire Lowe

If you really want to win, go to the agents of the best of the best, ie Holland, Stan Bowman, Babcock, Quenville. Ask them what they make and tell them we will double it.

Fire Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 11:15 AM
KlimasLoveChild

Start a fire management fund on facebook. Use the money to hire this guy to go down to oilers head office:

KlimasLoveChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 11:47 AM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Honestly, one of you should just vandalize his car, repeatedly.

Or the old stand by, throw beer on him. Why doesn't a team of your "beer" the entire staff one game, that will show them, right?

Jimmi McJenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 12:57 PM
McArthur

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Did we have Simpson and Huddy at this time?
yes sir. and MacT to hold everyone accountable. Chris Pronger didn't hurt... can't remember when Charlie Huddy left... was it when MacTavish was fired? or Pat Quinn? Tom Renney was a welcome addition in Detroit. I wonder if he is involved offensively or defensively.

Last edited by McArthur: 04-04-2014 at 01:05 PM.
McArthur is offline   Reply With Quote