HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sabres confirm Nolan as permanent Head Coach

Old
04-01-2014, 09:42 AM
jvirk

vCash: 500
You guys think that Armia could be a part of a trade with Nolan and Murray at the helm? The reason I ask is b/c he's too soft of a player. Although he's got a lot of skill, and I'm not saying I'm giving up on him what so ever b/c i truly believe he'll have a breakout year this year in the AHL, but he doesn't play Nolan's style AT ALL. And Murray wants to build a St. Louis Blues like team.

I love Nolan's style, that "tough hard nose blue collar work your tails off" brand of hockey, but we DO need some guys who are really skilled, i.e., Grigorenko and Armia. I think Grigo is underrated for his effort, but Armia I'm not too sure about. I don't see him going into corners and winning battles or taking/giving hits. I really hope it changes but not sure. If that's the case, there goes another 1st round pick that'll bust or be traded away.

jvirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 09:55 AM
Dutchess
HFB Partner

Hey, at least we have a little stability for the next three-four years of total suckitude.

Dutchess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 09:58 AM
1point21Gigawatts
hell's a gigawatt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I don't know what they tried with Rolston.
Rolston doesn't even know what they tried with Rolston

1point21Gigawatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 10:02 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvirk View Post
You guys think that Armia could be a part of a trade with Nolan and Murray at the helm? The reason I ask is b/c he's too soft of a player. Although he's got a lot of skill, and I'm not saying I'm giving up on him what so ever b/c i truly believe he'll have a breakout year this year in the AHL, but he doesn't play Nolan's style AT ALL. And Murray wants to build a St. Louis Blues like team.

I love Nolan's style, that "tough hard nose blue collar work your tails off" brand of hockey, but we DO need some guys who are really skilled, i.e., Grigorenko and Armia. I think Grigo is underrated for his effort, but Armia I'm not too sure about. I don't see him going into corners and winning battles or taking/giving hits. I really hope it changes but not sure. If that's the case, there goes another 1st round pick that'll bust or be traded away.
If someone is too soft as a player (your words). They're not going to be much of a contributor on a successful team regardless of who the coach is. Nor would they be the type of player you would want to have on a team your building into a winner.

I also don't understand why posters equate skill with being soft. The top skill players on winning teams are not soft at all.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 10:03 AM
jvirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
If someone is too soft as a player (your words). They're not going to be much of a contributor on a successful team regardless of who the coach is.

I also don't understand why posters equate skill with being soft. The most successful top players on winning teams are not soft but are very skilled.
I didn't mean to relate them like that, I guess my words didn't correctly portray that.

But Armia is a skilled player, BUT he's soft. And we all have known that about him. Not to say that other skilled players in the NHL are soft, but he's one that has high skill in our system, but his style of play isn't too desirable as of right now.

jvirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 10:16 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
The guy himself admits he's not an X's and O's guy. That's not part of my agenda in the least.
The snarky comment about taking them out for ice cream is what I was referring to. Nolan will teach the young players hard work and accountability. Hard to find a more important foundation to any young players game.

Quote:
I don't disagree that those two are their own worst enemies, but I don't expect Nolan to do them any favors either. Based on his history, they're not the type of players that thrive in a Ted Nolan coached environment.
So Nolan can't help them because Nolan can't coach those type of players. And what type of player is that? Players that show up and work hard on a consistent basis thrive in a Nolan environment. If he can instill that in both of them he will have done them both a HUGE favor.

Old
04-01-2014, 10:21 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvirk View Post
I didn't mean to relate them like that, I guess my words didn't correctly portray that.

But Armia is a skilled player, BUT he's soft. And we all have known that about him. Not to say that other skilled players in the NHL are soft, but he's one that has high skill in our system, but his style of play isn't too desirable as of right now.
Armia can't handle the AHL right now. Why are you worried that Nolan will ruin him in the NHL when its an open question if Armia can even get there. Can't you see how little sense that makes? He needs to get his game squared away in the AHL before he even gets a taste of the NHL.