HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

John Moore or Raphael Diaz?

View Poll Results: Moore or Diaz?
John Moore 22 15.60%
Raphael Diaz 95 67.38%
Both, bench another defenseman 4 2.84%
Both, dress 7 defensemen 20 14.18%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-31-2014, 02:34 PM
haveandare

vCash: 500
Diaz for now. Keep Moore for when someone stumbles or gets hurt.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 02:36 PM
eco's bones

Diaz is playing very well and I can see going with him for the time being--Moore though was playing pretty well before he was hurt. Diaz is pretty much a developed player and an upcoming UFA. Moore in the long run--cheap contract--should get better.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 03:28 PM
rangers1314

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
If they play Philly in Round 1, they will most likely need both.
Looks like AV won't be trusting Miller in the playoffs, so we'll be getting both at least for the first round.

However I believe Diaz has played a tiny bit of forward in his career, so perhaps giving him some shots in the 4th line forward/PP role could be tried, but probably not.

I do agree though that his quick, and accurate, shot should be kept in the lineup for the PP.

rangers1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 03:30 PM
Zamboner
Your move, creep.

Diaz. So easy.

Zamboner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 03:32 PM
highandwide
It's gold Jerry.

Pour one out for the homie sauer.
It breaks my heart every time I think of it.

I see Moore as more of a liability on the ice than Diaz.

When Diaz gets involved in the O zone, it's more about getting shots off from the point or supporting a loose puck on the boards. Moore usually loses positioning and doesn't have the capability (like McD) to get back into position once he gets involved - his shot is weak from the point.

highandwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 03:39 PM
bernmeister

Short term, go with the hot hand...

long term, trade Stepan + Girardi + possibly Talbot (who we will eventually lose to UFA cause we can't offer him starter status) for a big, difference maker upgrade.

As that relates here, means we keep everybody, possible heavy juggling if nec. (McD to RD w/Staal at first pair, though I don't believe it comes to that). Same guys, maybe add Connor allen ---- + that difference maker.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 03:44 PM
TheTakedown
Puck is Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
Klein has been the worst Dman on the team by a wide margin.

I know people here want to like him because they moved MDZ for him, but he's a massive disappointment.
is this serious?

Klein has saved 4 goals on his own in the past 6 games or so... whether it's because of back checks, blocked shots, or scrambles in his own crease...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird Law View Post
Yep. Klein has been very, very good for us. Surprisingly steady on the back-end. He's really replaced Sauer. Sauer used to be that steady, 3rd pairing rock. Funnily enough, Klein could have really steadied MDZ's game I'd bet. Just like Sauer.
there was no way Nashville would have taken Moore for Klein.. although I wish they could have

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post

long term, trade Stepan + Girardi + possibly Talbot (who we will eventually lose to UFA cause we can't offer him starter status) for a big, difference maker upgrade.

As that relates here, means we keep everybody, possible heavy juggling if nec. (McD to RD w/Staal at first pair, though I don't believe it comes to that). Same guys, maybe add Connor allen ---- + that difference maker.
Are you kidding me?

Stepan, our almost #1C, and you want to trade him, plus our 2nd best defenseman and an awesome backup? Are you expecting someone to unload a Crosby for that combo? beacuse reality is you won't get it...

Last edited by TheTakedown: 03-31-2014 at 04:07 PM.
TheTakedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 04:09 PM
Killem Dafoe
Global Moderator
Hold my baby, man.

vCash: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post

I think Stepan and Girardi are two guys we really need to hold on to. We just signed Girardi to a nice deal and I think that means we're keeping him around for a while.

Steps had some rough patches this season, but he's a 60+ point center in the very near future IMO. I absolutely think if we traded him for an upgrade, the player we got in return would see a drop in production and we would crave Stepan back in a big way. He's a super solid top 6 center who we drafted. If anything, players like that are who we need to hold on to.

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 04:11 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killem Dafoe View Post
I think Stepan and Girardi are two guys we really need to hold on to. We just signed Girardi to a nice deal and I think that means we're keeping him around for a while.

Steps had some rough patches this season, but he's a 60+ point center in the very near future IMO. I absolutely think if we traded him for an upgrade, the player we got in return would see a drop in production and we would crave Stepan back in a big way. He's a super solid top 6 center who we drafted. If anything, players like that are who we need to hold on to.
bernmeister has included Stepan in every proposal since pee wee.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 05:23 PM
Hunter Gathers
Whiskey breath

Send a message via AIM to Hunter Gathers
I still can't believe someone actually thinks Klein has been anything but good (let alone that he's been terrible).

Hunter Gathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 05:37 PM
StepansLabyrinth
Rational Police

Go with the hot hand, which is Diaz right now. I'm a little concerned about his defense in the playoffs but you can protect him by only playing him when we need a goal. It sucks for Moore but his replacement earned a starting job.

StepansLabyrinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 06:07 PM
gump116

I doubt Nashville would have gone for this, but I really wish we could have trade Moore instead of Del Zotto for Klein. Del Zotto-Klein would have been a nice third pairing.

gump116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 06:13 PM
E-Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird Law View Post
I still can't believe someone actually thinks Klein has been anything but good (let alone that he's been terrible).
Absolutely insane. Been nothing but solid since he's arrived.

Back on topic, I'm really impressed with Diaz's aggressiveness in the o-zone. Puck on his stick he immediately wants to rip a shot. Surprised he hasn't put up more points in the league to date.

E-Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 06:35 PM
SA16
Sixstring

Any consideration into playing Moore at LW? Has he ever played forward at all? Given we're currently short one due to Kreider and have Carcillo in the top 9 (at least last game) it seems like he might have a shot there with his combination of size and speed - rather similar to Kreider actually. And it would let us keep Diaz in who's been very effective.

SA16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 07:00 PM
eco's bones

Klein has played 24 games for us. 0 penalty minutes. Positionally sound. Strong on his skates--not someone that you can run over easily. Does not panic or run around. He's still a stiff (to use Tortorella's phrase) player to play against. He pins a guy--the guy stays pinned. He doesn't force plays--he makes safe plays coming out of his end.

I know some people loved Del Zotto but the guy gave me the willies a lot in his own defensive end. I was watching him the other night--Buffalo against Nashville and he looks still the same. DZ paired with Moore was just a disaster waiting to happen on any given shift. Moore paired with Klein looks a whole hell of a lot different to me--like he actually now has a clue. Maybe DZ would benefited the same but he was the price that had to be paid and DZ was heading towards a $3 + mil arbitration eligible contract negotiation--something which he's not proved to be worth. Diaz and Klein look very good together as well.

Klein's been the best addition the Rangers have made this year. Solidified the entire defense corps. His contract and term are both very good. Personally I think we ripped Nashville off.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 07:03 PM
aufheben
Global Moderator
#FreeClendening

vCash: 69
How does a defensive defensemen not take any penalties? That's cray.

03-31-2014, 07:22 PM
Jeff Groten
What me worry?

vCash: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Klein has played 24 games for us. 0 penalty minutes. Positionally sound. Strong on his skates--not someone that you can run over easily. Does not panic or run around. He's still a stiff (to use Tortorella's phrase) player to play against. He pins a guy--the guy stays pinned. He doesn't force plays--he makes safe plays coming out of his end.

I know some people loved Del Zotto but the guy gave me the willies a lot in his own defensive end. I was watching him the other night--Buffalo against Nashville and he looks still the same. DZ paired with Moore was just a disaster waiting to happen on any given shift. Moore paired with Klein looks a whole hell of a lot different to me--like he actually now has a clue. Maybe DZ would benefited the same but he was the price that had to be paid and DZ was heading towards a $3 + mil arbitration eligible contract negotiation--something which he's not proved to be worth. Diaz and Klein look very good together as well.

Klein's been the best addition the Rangers have made this year. Solidified the entire defense corps. His contract and term are both very good. Personally I think we ripped Nashville off.
Well said Eco, and I especially agree with the bolded.

Jeff Groten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 07:56 PM
Mikos87

I'm a fan of sticks lining up, but with that said, outside of a 2-3 lost net front battles Diaz is a better upgrade on the PP.

Moore did himself a disservice by dropping weight during the offseason. Last year he was 6'3" 215 and looked like McDonaugh-lite with his size and skating. Dropping an extra 10lbs cause him to get owned on the boards this year, and that's lead to a lot of turnovers.

Mikos87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 08:01 PM
Petey240

Diaz.. The guy has a good shot and doesn't seem to make many mistakes with or without the puck. Not that Moore isn't good, it just feels like Diaz has more of an impact.

Petey240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 08:03 PM
Mats Zuccarelli
NY Hockey Rangers

Quote:
Moore + Diaz. Klein can go sit in the box
Not sure if serious. Klein has been very good defensively. He's extremely sound

Mats Zuccarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 08:04 PM
Mats Zuccarelli
NY Hockey Rangers

Quote:
Klein has been the worst Dman on the team by a wide margin.

I know people here want to like him because they moved MDZ for him, but he's a massive disappointment.
From a complete unbiased point of view, I'd say Klein has played better than Stralman

Old
03-31-2014, 08:15 PM
Mats Zuccarelli
NY Hockey Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA16 View Post
Any consideration into playing Moore at LW? Has he ever played forward at all? Given we're currently short one due to Kreider and have Carcillo in the top 9 (at least last game) it seems like he might have a shot there with his combination of size and speed - rather similar to Kreider actually. And it would let us keep Diaz in who's been very effective.

Ah yes, the old Stu Bickel treatment.

And no, they shouldn't do that

Old
03-31-2014, 08:38 PM
SA16
Sixstring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats Zuccarelli View Post
Ah yes, the old Stu Bickel treatment.

And no, they shouldn't do that
First off teams use 7th defenseman as an extra forward relatively often. And some convert - Burns/Byfuglien (no not comparing Moore to them skill wise)

Second it is nothing like Bickel whatsoever as Moore is actually a real hockey player who is big, fast, and has a good shot. He might be able to help there - likely more than Carcillo would in a top 9 role. Bickel is the random John Scott 7th defenseman as forward who plays 3 minutes to fight when needed.

SA16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 09:02 PM
LeetchisGod
It's Miller Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gump116 View Post
I doubt Nashville would have gone for this, but I really wish we could have trade Moore instead of Del Zotto for Klein. Del Zotto-Klein would have been a nice third pairing.
Del Zotto sucks. He has produced nothing offensively in Nashville and has been a healthy scratch multiple times.

LeetchisGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 09:27 PM
mint

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Yeah, who cares if he's in his own zone for the majority of his ice time despite getting extremely sheltered minutes?
Yeah, I mean who cares about that? He's a solid, solid player.

I would roll out with Diaz and Klein because John Moore sucks. At least Klein is decent on the PK.

mint is offline   Reply With Quote