HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Emelin returns to Montreal for personal reasons (will play vs. TB), Also new lines

Old
03-31-2014, 11:17 AM
Et le But

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
*sigh*

We traded him for Halak..
If there's one player in the NHL who has had a worse season than Eller, it's Halak.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 11:20 AM
Bloumeister
Tennis court jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
Yeah Emelin hip checked Plekanec's wife, which everyone was successful when the baby hipchecked the placenta out.

This, and the absence of a turtleneck on the infant, convinced Pleks the baby wasn't is.
Kid had no goatee either

Also, the first word baby said coming out of his mom was 'putin'... although he could have said 'poutine', being born in Montréal and all...

Bloumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 11:22 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Hope all is alright with the Emelin's

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 11:24 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Why not Eller at C and briere at wing?
Eller is MT's dishrag...

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 11:27 AM
CanadianSharks

My ideal (realistic) lines:

Patches - DD - Vanek
Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Gallagher
Bournival - Eller - Briere
Bourque - White - Gionta

or

Patches - DD - Vanek
Galchenyuk - Eller - Gallagher
Bournival - Plekanec - Briere/Gionta
Borque - White - Gionta/Briere

CanadianSharks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 11:28 AM
odishabs

A good shutdown line would be

Eller - Plekanec - Gionta

odishabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 11:31 AM
PricePkPatch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
If there's one player in the NHL who has had a worse season than Eller, it's Halak.
I would have said Clarkson, but it's just me

PricePkPatch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 11:32 AM
JLP
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloumeister View Post
Plekanec rejoins, Emelin leaves?

OMG

Emelin is the father of Plekanec's newborn
Ha that's the first thing that popped into my mind whan I saw the thread.

Anyway looks like Yemmy will be gone just a day and then rejoin the team vs TB.

Dave StubbsVerified account ‏@Dave_Stubbs

Via @JFChaumontJDM #Habs: Emelin will play vs #TBLightning tomorrow. He'll rejoin team tonight after family-reasons trip to Mtl #HabsIO

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 11:41 AM
FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post

Dave StubbsVerified account ‏@Dave_Stubbs

Via @JFChaumontJDM #Habs: Emelin will play vs #TBLightning tomorrow. He'll rejoin team tonight after family-reasons trip to Mtl #HabsIO
Such a good news, Emelin is playing like a stud for the past 2 weeks, really makes us a better team. I'm less worried about this game, now.

FrontierPsyCHiatrist* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 11:46 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Emelin's really turned it around, starting with the Leafs game I think.

He was terrible before, but he's been a great #3 since.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 11:48 AM
EveryDay

In his last 9 games, Emelin have 1g 5a for 6P while been at +5 and around 21 minutes per games.

We need him sooooo much!

For the playoff that's our defence

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Emelin
??????-Weaver

??? been 1 of Murray/Tinordi/Beaulieu

Just not Bouillon!

EveryDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 12:19 PM
EvilGreenRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDay View Post
In his last 9 games, Emelin have 1g 5a for 6P while been at +5 and around 21 minutes per games.

We need him sooooo much!

For the playoff that's our defence

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Emelin
??????-Weaver

??? been 1 of Murray/Tinordi/Beaulieu

Just not Bouillon!
It's gotta be Murray or Tinordi, in my opinion, and I'm more apt to go with the experience in Murray.

Though we might need someone with a bit more speed in Tinordi against a Tampa squad, though this game tomorrow will lend a much better idea in that regard.

EvilGreenRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 12:24 PM
overlords
youmyboyblou!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Meh, I've given up on him. All I know is out of the 18 or so forwards we've had all year, his play has been the least impressive. Okay, excluding Parros. But when you're only marginally better than an enforcer on his last legs...not good.

We've had Eller at C and Briere on the wing for, like, 65 games this year. Why not the other way around?
Because it makes very little sense. Even at his worst, Eller plays very well defensively and is infinitely more useful at center. Briere at C instantly makes it another pity line.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 12:27 PM
Andy

Come playoff time, I honestly wouldn't mind to an Eller Plekanec Gionta shutdown line.

The problem however is that Briere, Galchenyuk and Desharnais are not defensive stalwarts and I have my doubts about a combination of Prust, Weise, Moen and White's ability to eat minutes in a relatively tough matchup.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 12:34 PM
Ghetto Sangria
Pura Vida

Quote:
Originally Posted by odishabs View Post
A good shutdown line would be

Eller - Plekanec - Gionta
This is why I'm hoping the experiment on the wing works for eller. If he can play well on the wing, this line can be formed to shut down the stamkos line while being able to produce some offense

Patches DD Vanek
Eller Pleks Gio
Chuckie Briere Gally
Moen Prust Weise

There won't be any passengers in the line up!

Ghetto Sangria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 12:40 PM
That Habs Fan
Weber + Price = ✓

With Emelin playing the way he has, I'd move him up to play with Subban, which would finally see him back at his natural LD position.

Emelin-Subban
Markov-Weaver
Murray-Tinordi/Bouillon/Beaulieu

Until Gorges returns could be great IMO. Enough with this spreading the suck around approach to our D.

That Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 12:45 PM
Angels

More Habs babies?

Angels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 12:49 PM
1UP

"In the news today, a strange discovery. A Russian Hockey player that seems to be capable of impregnating women with hip-checks.

Stay tuned!"

Aaand, Lucic? I'd check those periods.

(Seriously, I hope it's nothing bad. Luckily, he'll be playing vs the Bolts, so it's probably 'k)

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 12:50 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Because it makes very little sense. Even at his worst, Eller plays very well defensively and is infinitely more useful at center. Briere at C instantly makes it another pity line.
"Very well defensively" and "infinitely more useful" are two huge overstatements when talking about Eller's play lately. He should be happy to be on the wing and not in the press box, if we're being brutally honest. Maybe he would be if our 4th line were healthy.

The whole season outside of two weeks has been a pity line wherever Eller's played, might as well give Briere a turn and see if he can't do any better.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 12:53 PM
Ghetto Sangria
Pura Vida

Quote:
"Very well defensively" and "infinitely more useful" are two huge overstatements when talking about Eller's play lately. He should be happy to be on the wing and not in the press box, if we're being brutally honest. Maybe he would be if our 4th line were healthy.

The whole season outside of two weeks has been a pity line wherever Eller's played, might as well give Briere a turn and see if he can't do any better.
Yah... but he's so big and he was so great last season!!!

Old
03-31-2014, 12:59 PM
overlords
youmyboyblou!

Quote:

Eller has been playing very well for weeks now. Only on HF and RDS does this 'eller has been awful' narrative remain. Over the course of the season, he's still been one of our better possession forwards, but people only seem to pay attention when the puck slides behind the goal line, which is largely incidental. Soon enough pucks will start going in for the guy and everyone will say ' Wow, what happened? What did he change', and the answer will be ' Nothing'. Just as everyone here thought Maxpac was playing awful before goals started going in for him. I wonder what the reaction will be when the multitude of goal scoring chances the vanek line gives up start going in.

Old
03-31-2014, 01:10 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Eller has been playing very well for weeks now. Only on HF and RDS does this 'eller has been awful' narrative remain. Over the course of the season, he's still been one of our better possession forwards, but people only seem to pay attention when the puck slides behind the goal line, which is largely incidental. Soon enough pucks will start going in for the guy and everyone will say ' Wow, what happened? What did he change', and the answer will be ' Nothing'. Just as everyone here thought Maxpac was playing awful before goals started going in for him. I wonder what the reaction will be when the multitude of goal scoring chances the vanek line gives up start going in.
Well I'd hope you'd give me enough credit to believe that the only narratives I subscribe to are the ones I form from watching the games myself, and I just don't see the vast gulf between Eller and Briere that you're describing. Eller is better defensively, but Briere has been better offensively. At the very least, maybe it could jumpstart Eller's offense somehow. I'd be as thrilled as anyone if the puck did start going in for him, we can certainly use the secondary scoring.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 01:19 PM
overlords
youmyboyblou!

Quote:
Well I'd hope you'd give me enough credit to believe that the only narratives I subscribe to are the ones I form from watching the games myself, and I just don't see the vast gulf between Eller and Briere that you're describing. Eller is better defensively, but Briere has been better offensively. At the very least, maybe it could jumpstart Eller's offense somehow. I'd be as thrilled as anyone if the puck did start going in for him, we can certainly use the secondary scoring.
Of course not, you're one of the few posters I hold in high regard here

And I've actually liked Briere with eller before, but just not with Briere at C. I really do think that he's awful defensively. He's more awful than Eller is good, which, given how highly I think of eller's D game, is saying something. I don't see what Danny B can't do from wing that he currently does at C, but I do see one of Eller's better talents being taken away when he's not in the middle.

Old
03-31-2014, 01:22 PM
Ghetto Sangria
Pura Vida

Quote:
Of course not, you're one of the few posters I hold in high regard here

And I've actually liked Briere with eller before, but just not with Briere at C. I really do think that he's awful defensively. He's more awful than Eller is good, which, given how highly I think of eller's D game, is saying something. I don't see what Danny B can't do from wing that he currently does at C, but I do see one of Eller's better talents being taken away when he's not in the middle.
There is such thing as a defensive winger. By that same token you can say that one of Hossa's main assets is wasted on the wing.

defensive plays can be made anywhere on the ice. And to eller's benefit, the most effective part of his game should be utilized more on the wing... his board play

Old
03-31-2014, 01:24 PM
StellerEller
Neednewname:(

vCash: 351
Hopefully Eller on the wing works out this time. He needs to realize that not everything works out as it should and he should make the most of the opportunity. He's talented enough that he can be an excellent winger. He just needs to embrace it

StellerEller is offline   Reply With Quote