HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ekblad what would PHI give for him

Old
04-01-2014, 01:56 AM
Striiker
Orange and Black

vCash: 500
I seriously have no idea how people who know so little can act like they know so much. Those Oilers fans are an embarrassment to their fanbase.

And in an incredibly predictable turn of events, some of the mods on this site are as inconsistent as the NHL refs. He argues for 3 pages and then says anyone who argues is getting an infraction... unbelievable.

Striiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 05:36 AM
chinatown81592
DJ Okawari

Why did I read that thread?
Some of the statements in there are not well thought out.

chinatown81592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 07:16 AM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
I am thinking that if EDM has the 2nd over all pick and Ekblad is still available what would PHI be willing to give for him

He is a big dman that is projected to be a top pairing, that shoots right which is hard to find

What would be PHI be willing to give up for him
Players that would interest EDM would be
Couturier
Voracek

Solves to huge holes for EDM and PHI finally gets that legit top end prospect that is ready to play next year.
What would EDM have to add to get these two players
Ekblad plus what, I am not thinking it would have to be a huge plus what does PHI fans think
I'm thinking Edmonton keeps their pick and drafts some amazing forward who is too good to ever trade for anything less than Shea Weber yet still never helps them win anything.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 07:57 AM
Hiesenberg

I don't really see the need for the Flyers to move up. Just take the BPA at that spot and hold onto your picks as best you can. If you can acquire more like dumping Grossman or Schenn then ok. I see that, but with the Flyers having Hagg & Ghost closer and Morin another year closer, I don't see the need to sell the farm and try to get a Top 3 pick.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 08:23 AM
Curufinwe

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
My goodness, the ignorance of how good of a player Couts has been is in full affect in the Oilers proposal thread.
Where is this thread? I could do with a laugh.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 11:22 AM
FlyingPhilly
Laine Train

Well, tbf there were a few Oilers fans that thought their fellow fans were being ridiculous. It is like this with every single fanbase in existence though.

As for the OP, I would not trade what it would cost to get the pick to draft Ekblad.

FlyingPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 12:40 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Edmonton comes knocking again with the trade route but I don't think we make much sense.
They're a mess, I honestly don't want any player off their roster. The little talent they have on the roster is essentially all the same type of players. They'll likely ask for the moon for Yakupov this summer while his value is at an all time low. They'd honestly should just fire that bozo coach & hold onto Yakupov for now.

Landeskog would have looked really nice on their team over RNH right now, he has some traits that they desperately need right now in good two-way play, intangibles, & leadership qualities.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 01:13 PM
Jtown

The oilers are my 2nd favorite team. And really for the past 4 years it has been a total waste of time watching their games and posting on that board. Their are only a few posters on that board that really understand the whole problem with the team. So many of the fans want to just look at stats, but the team can't even score. I mean hell if you have all these 1 dimensional forwards and they can't even score it is time to blow it the F up.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 01:31 PM
FreshPerspective
Hextall is a deity!

I would give up Mesz, JVR and "Bust"affson....oh wait...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 01:50 PM
Appleyard
HFB Partner

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
They're a mess, I honestly don't want any player off their roster. The little talent they have on the roster is essentially all the same type of players. They'll likely ask for the moon for Yakupov this summer while his value is at an all time low. They'd honestly should just fire that bozo coach & hold onto Yakupov for now.

Landeskog would have looked really nice on their team over RNH right now, he has some traits that they desperately need right now in good two-way play, intangibles, & leadership qualities.
Not to get all high and mighty...

but there was a reason my favourite two forwards in that draft were Landeskog and Couturier.

You win with players like that... and at worst they pan out as a solid NHLer.

Though Larsson was rounding out my top three favourites in that year!

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 01:55 PM
Curufinwe

Larsson needs a change of scenery desperately.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 02:01 PM
Appleyard
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Yeh.

We thought Lavi was bad with youth.

Gelinas was sent to the AHL this year... when he had been great.

Larsson looked fine... a lot of Devils fans said the same, they just keep ******* him around.

Henrique is their only full time NHLer under pension age.

Old
04-01-2014, 02:07 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
Yeh.

We thought Lavi was bad with youth.

Gelinas was sent to the AHL this year... when he had been great.

Larsson looked fine... a lot of Devils fans said the same, they just keep ******* him around.

Henrique is their only full time NHLer under pension age.
Ah it's hard to fault them for that one when Gelinas play in his own zone isn't up to par for NHL standards. He still needs a lot of work in that area.

Old
04-01-2014, 02:13 PM
Appleyard
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Ah it's hard to fault them for that one when Gelinas play in his own zone isn't up to par for NHL standards. He still needs a lot of work in that area.
I do understand that.

However... that team needs no help in defence with the way they play. Look at Zidlicky... he cannot spell defence, guy thinks he plays wing, but the problem is less apparent in NJ... as by the time the opposition get into the O zone a sloth could have got back with all the grabbing and obstruction in the neutral zone.

Their O however is lethargic and he injected something.

3rd worst offence in the NHL and you are dropping the guy who could be considered the best offensive D man you have.

Old
04-01-2014, 02:16 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
I do understand that.

However... that team needs no help in defence with the way they play. Look at Zidlicky... he cannot spell defence, guy thinks he plays wing, but the problem is less apparent in NJ... as by the time the opposition get into the O zone a sloth could have got back with all the grabbing and obstruction in the neutral zone.

Their O however is lethargic and he injected something.

3rd worst offence in the NHL and you are dropping the guy who could be considered the best offensive D man you have.
When you start Brodeur as much as they do you need all the defensive help you can possibly get.

Old
04-03-2014, 04:11 AM
BackWithaVengeance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
It's a shame the Flyers can't get him out of New Jersey since the Devils would never consider a trade with them.

BackWithaVengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 07:18 AM
CanuckistanFlyerfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
I'd trade both Schenns and our first for Ekblad. People have already said that's an overpayment for an unknown. Definitely understand that viewpoint. I am just a big believer in Ekblad's skillset and believe he is every bit the prospect that Drew Doughty was when he was drafted.

Edmonton wouldn't make that trade because Ekblad is precisely what they need right now. Buffalo might because of what they already have.

I'm a huge Ekblad fan. He's one of the most cerebral players I've ever seen on the Colts. But he isn't going to bring you that dynamic player that Doughty is. I've seen him play around 70 times including playoffs over the years and he's not the kind of player that makes you jump out of your seat. On the other hand you'll rarely shake your head at the dumb mistake he just made.

CanuckistanFlyerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 09:25 AM
JackStraw
Moving much too slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckistanFlyerfan View Post
I'm a huge Ekblad fan. He's one of the most cerebral players I've ever seen on the Colts. But he isn't going to bring you that dynamic player that Doughty is. I've seen him play around 70 times including playoffs over the years and he's not the kind of player that makes you jump out of your seat. On the other hand you'll rarely shake your head at the dumb mistake he just made.
Sounds like a description of Nick Lidstrom. (just saying...)

JackStraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 09:30 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStraw View Post
Sounds like a description of Nick Lidstrom. (just saying...)
Or Zach Bogosian in juniors.

04-03-2014, 03:38 PM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

I'd do both the Schenns and our 1st for Ekblad. It's a gamble, but sometimes you have to gamble to get ahead.

This team needs a young guy who can be a top pairing dman and slip into our core. We're not going to get that unless we draft one... Morin, Hagg and Ghost are great prospects but let's be honest, i would be shocked if any of them develop into top pairing guys. Morin I see as a future #3 type guy, and Hagg as a #4. Ghost could be a solid #3 or 4 guy who will probably always need to be paired with a big shutdown type guy. I could see Morin-Gostisbehere being a decent pairing in the future.

I know we love Brayden around here, but I don't think trading Schenn would be as detrimental to the team as some believe. With Giroux ahead of him offensively, Couturier filling a more specific/pertinent need and Laughton perhaps better suited to a bottom 6 role, Schenn can be sacrificed imo.

Just my 2-cents. I'm also a huge Ekblad fan, though. He plays the game with a calmness and poise that most kids his age simply don't. He won't ever be that flashy superstar #1, but I could see him being a bigger, more physical Timonen (in his prime) type of player.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 03:46 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I'd do both the Schenns and our 1st for Ekblad. It's a gamble, but sometimes you have to gamble to get ahead.

This team needs a young guy who can be a top pairing dman and slip into our core. We're not going to get that unless we draft one... Morin, Hagg and Ghost are great prospects but let's be honest, i would be shocked if any of them develop into top pairing guys. Morin I see as a future #3 type guy, and Hagg as a #4. Ghost could be a solid #3 or 4 guy who will probably always need to be paired with a big shutdown type guy. I could see Morin-Gostisbehere being a decent pairing in the future.

I know we love Brayden around here, but I don't think trading Schenn would be as detrimental to the team as some believe. With Giroux ahead of him offensively, Couturier filling a more specific/pertinent need and Laughton perhaps better suited to a bottom 6 role, Schenn can be sacrificed imo.

Just my 2-cents. I'm also a huge Ekblad fan, though. He plays the game with a calmness and poise that most kids his age simply don't. He won't ever be that flashy superstar #1, but I could see him being a bigger, more physical Timonen (in his prime) type of player.
I get the idea behind all this, but I'm just not willing to gamble that much on a prospect. It seems, and I could be wrong, that more often than not in terms of franchise d-men, they come outside of the first round. With the exception of Suter, Petro, Karlsson and Doughty aren't most of the top defenders 2nd-3rd round guys (or later)?

Chara
Weber
Subban
Keith
Lidstrom
Kronwall

All guys selected later. While I am in no way suggesting that drafting a defensive prospect in the first is a bad idea or anything like that, it just seems that defenseman tend to bust more than forwards in the first round and there are more gems to be had after.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 03:53 PM
LegionOfDoom91

I like Laughton as much as the next guy but he shouldn't make any player in the top 9 expandable until he at least plays a year in the NHL.

Old
04-03-2014, 03:55 PM
bauerhockey02

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post

LW-G-Voracek
LW-Couturier-Simmonds
LW-Laughton-Read

Ekblad-Morin
Hagg-Ghost

Mason
Stolarz

Just kind of a rough outline of what the future could be based on what you proposed. There would more than likely be differences in the future than my rough outline but it does look like it has the potential to be decent if development goes well and depending on how we fill in the other holes.
Brayden will likely become a good player offensively however that lineup down the middle looks like it could be pretty good and if you can flip the Schenns into a top D talent it should definitely be in consideration.
It becomes even better in the future if Laughton becomes a good two way player and Couturier continues to develop his offensive game. The Flyers could be a very good team at both ends of the ice.

bauerhockey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 03:56 PM
BackWithaVengeance

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I get the idea behind all this, but I'm just not willing to gamble that much on a prospect. It seems, and I could be wrong, that more often than not in terms of franchise d-men, they come outside of the first round. With the exception of Suter, Petro, Karlsson and Doughty aren't most of the top defenders 2nd-3rd round guys (or later)?

Chara
Weber
Subban
Keith
Lidstrom
Kronwall

All guys selected later. While I am in no way suggesting that drafting a defensive prospect in the first is a bad idea or anything like that, it just seems that defenseman tend to bust more than forwards in the first round and there are more gems to be had after.
Datsyuk
Zetterberg
Nyquist
Tatar
Franzen
Ericsson

This is wrong in so many ways.

BackWithaVengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 05:11 AM
KingDiamonds Grandma

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
I can't even pretend to be that dense. People that undervalue Coots are stupid.
Agree! Theres not many players that I would trade Couts for. A major piece who's only going to get even better.

-KDG

KingDiamonds Grandma is offline   Reply With Quote