HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hossa's arbitration date is Aug. 23

Closed Thread

Old
08-17-2005, 04:13 PM
jamiebez

vCash: 500
Hossa's arbitration date is Aug. 23

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...75492-sun.html

That's this Tuesday, people!

Also in this article, they upped their offer from $3.9/yr for three years to $4.0/yr for two years, but he turned that down, too.

Old
08-17-2005, 04:18 PM
Pancake Repairman

What the hell? Did they honestly think they could ante the offer up by a measly $100k and Hossa would sign? It's crap like this that will ensure he leaves us this summer.

Old
08-17-2005, 04:22 PM
Release The Lehner

Seriously the just need to give him a $25M offer for 5 years and be done with it. If it seems like he thinks that's a good deal then tinker with it a bit and get this thing done. If he finds a deal like that insulting with comparable players like Demitra, Kovalev, Palffy, Hedjuk, and Satan all making less than that then tell him to pack his bags cause he's getting traded to Carolina for Erik Cole and Justin Williams. Done and done. We don't need his "I'm the greatest player in the world" attitude in the locker room when we're going for a cup.

Old
08-17-2005, 04:32 PM
Pancake Repairman

I think Hossa's got his sight set on becoming a UFA this summer and banking 20% of some silly team's cap. Our best bet is to just go with his arbitration award this year and hopefully win a Cup with this team. Or, if some team is willing to give up something that is cheaper cap-wise and could help the team right now, do that instead. Like Hossa for Doan, for instance. Though I'm not sure how willing Phoenix would be to trade off their captain and poster boy.

Old
08-17-2005, 04:44 PM
Spezza

It's not just offering an extra 100k, it's shortening the contract length by a year.

Going into arbitration I think Ottawa should offer a two year deal. I believe we should look at offering 8.4 for 2 years (4 million this, 4.4 million next).

If he doesn't like that... well maybe Patrick Elias would like to play with Marty Havlat here in Ottawa next year?

Old
08-17-2005, 04:48 PM
sensens

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Senator
We don't need his "I'm the greatest player in the world" attitude in the locker room when we're going for a cup.
I've been pretty strongly advocating for a reasonable deal for Hossa, but at the same time I have to acknolwedge that less than $4M/yr for Hossa right now is not particularly reasonable. I've said before that I don't think that you can compare him to players like Thornton, Iginla or Naslund, but that doesn't mean that he isn't worth more than what Muckler has been offering. If Muckler put down a 3yr/$15M deal in front of him and Hossa turned his nose up at it, then we could start with the talk of him not being willing to play ball on his contract. But so long as he's turning down $4M/year, I don't think it's unreasonable for Hossa to wait for a deal that's a bit more reflective of his production.

Old
08-17-2005, 05:06 PM
jamiebez

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensens
I've been pretty strongly advocating for a reasonable deal for Hossa, but at the same time I have to acknolwedge that less than $4M/yr for Hossa right now is not particularly reasonable. I've said before that I don't think that you can compare him to players like Thornton, Iginla or Naslund, but that doesn't mean that he isn't worth more than what Muckler has been offering. If Muckler put down a 3yr/$15M deal in front of him and Hossa turned his nose up at it, then we could start with the talk of him not being willing to play ball on his contract. But so long as he's turning down $4M/year, I don't think it's unreasonable for Hossa to wait for a deal that's a bit more reflective of his production.
It's true, seems like everywhere you turn people are jumping on Hossa. That "pay me like Iginla" quote has been blown way out of proportion, IMO. I don't think he's in the wrong to turn down $4M/year, either.

What worries me, is the Thornton and Lecavalier contracts coming down the pike this week are going to inflate his value so much (both in an arbitrator's eyes, and certainly his agent's) that a $5M deal won't be enough to do the job.

We will see... if Muckler can get him locked up to at least a 2 year deal at this stage, my hat goes off to him for an excellent summer's work.

Old
08-17-2005, 09:09 PM
Tap on the Ankle
expert analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancake Repairman
I think Hossa's got his sight set on becoming a UFA this summer and banking 20% of some silly team's cap. Our best bet is to just go with his arbitration award this year and hopefully win a Cup with this team. Or, if some team is willing to give up something that is cheaper cap-wise and could help the team right now, do that instead. Like Hossa for Doan, for instance. Though I'm not sure how willing Phoenix would be to trade off their captain and poster boy.
Hossa for Doan, straight up, would be an awesome deal for Ottawa IMO. We'd finally get the elusive "power forward" we've been wanting for oh so long. He wouldn't quite replace the offensive threat that Hossa provides, but his salary (and potential future salaries) is much more cap-friendly. But I agree, I think it's in Phoenix's best interest to keep Doan right now.

Old
08-17-2005, 10:24 PM
Lexicon Devil

You can't opt for a two-year deal in arbitration when the player has only one more year of RFA status.

At least you couldn't under the previous CBA, and I don't see why that would have changed.

Old
08-18-2005, 10:52 AM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

In the old CBA the team chose wether to ask for a 1 or 2 year contract. The player did not have a choice. Don't remember what it said about the last year of RFA but that is a moot point at this time.

I read in a newspaper article (haven't seen the new CBA so take it for what it is worth) that arbitration is only for 1-year contracts now, there is no longer a two-year option.

Old
08-18-2005, 11:01 AM
armani
Guy Likes

Prediction: Hossa gets between $5 and $5.5 M this season. Ottawa then signs him to a 3 year contract worth $15.5 M.

BTW, I think baseball arbitration contract length is at most a year. Would that not be the same for NHL?

Old
08-18-2005, 11:46 AM
miser

Quote:
Originally Posted by armani
Prediction: Hossa gets between $5 and $5.5 M this season. Ottawa then signs him to a 3 year contract worth $15.5 M.

BTW, I think baseball arbitration contract length is at most a year. Would that not be the same for NHL?

Just a little problem ... only one or two year contracts (this may be only one year based on scuttlebutt from the new CBA) can be awarded via arbitration (the player elects before the hearing) ... so why would he look for more than one year with UFA happening next year.
After the ruling, teams are restricted from negotiating a new contract with the player before the end of the season.

Old
08-18-2005, 01:03 PM
Seachd

vCash: 50
[Senator Fan]

What we should do is trade him to Edmonton for Ryan Smyth.

[/Senator Fan]

Old
08-18-2005, 01:17 PM
Pancake Repairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
[Senator Fan]

What we should do is trade him to Edmonton for Ryan Smyth.

[/Senator Fan]
If the Sens could work out a long term deal with Smyth worth no more than $4.5m/season, I'd like it.

Old
08-18-2005, 01:20 PM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancake Repairman
If the Sens could work out a long term deal with Smyth worth no more than $4.5m/season, I'd like it.
Smyth's contract wouldn't be a problem (I don't see him getting more than $3.5-4 million myself. But if Hossa's contract is going to be a problem for Ottawa, it'll probably be one for Edmonton too. That'd be the only snag I could see - if Edmonton can't accept Hossa's terms or vice versa.

Old
08-18-2005, 03:25 PM
sensruletheworld

I think they should offer hoss a 3 yr 16 mill deal....... he would take it, and then we focus on locking down redden, and we have 3 years to go after the cup. Look, we may have to lose chara in the process, but id rather lose him then redden. In the "new" NHL, or enforced obstruction (i hope), quick, smart, GOOD PASSING D men will be the key. NOT the bigger guys like a darien hatcher (although for a big guy chara has good skills). Redden's breakaway passing ability will be huge this year.

Old
08-18-2005, 03:27 PM
armani
Guy Likes

Quote:
Originally Posted by miser
Just a little problem ... only one or two year contracts (this may be only one year based on scuttlebutt from the new CBA) can be awarded via arbitration (the player elects before the hearing) ... so why would he look for more than one year with UFA happening next year.
After the ruling, teams are restricted from negotiating a new contract with the player before the end of the season.
Just a little prediction, assuming Hossa wants to win a cup with the team that drafted him. If he gets a $5 M for 1 year award from the player-elected arbitration, I don't see why he would not want to sign a $16.5/3 year contract. He will actually be at his peak when the 3 year contract ends.

I don't see Muckler handing him anything over $5.5 a season on a long-term contract. If Hossa keeps pushing it, I see him pushing his luck with a different organization, unfortunately.

Old
08-18-2005, 03:30 PM
armani
Guy Likes

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensruletheworld
I think they should offer hoss a 3 yr 16 mill deal....... he would take it, and then we focus on locking down redden, and we have 3 years to go after the cup. Look, we may have to lose chara in the process, but id rather lose him then redden. In the "new" NHL, or enforced obstruction (i hope), quick, smart, GOOD PASSING D men will be the key. NOT the bigger guys like a darien hatcher (although for a big guy chara has good skills). Redden's breakaway passing ability will be huge this year.
No way you lose a one of a kind defenceman as Chara. Both him and Redden are key parts of Ottawa's defensive core, each bringing different elements to the game. You never know what the "New" NHL is going to look like, but you know for sure that in Chara you have one of the best defencemen in the league.

Old
08-18-2005, 03:34 PM
sensruletheworld

Ok....so who do we lose then if we keep redden and chara, then we have NO money for HOSS longterm......... we have 3 major guys to sign and we can only afford 2

Old
08-18-2005, 04:44 PM
sensens

Quote:
Ok....so who do we lose then if we keep redden and chara, then we have NO money for HOSS longterm......... we have 3 major guys to sign and we can only afford 2
I have to agree here... the numbers just don't add up to more than 3 of our big guns being able to stay in the long-run. I have no problem with keeping Redden, but it certainly does push the issue in terms of which of Chara or Hossa we keep... unless trading Alfredsson is the solution that Muckler feels is best. We MIGHT be able to postpone the inevitable by one more year after this one, but it's only a matter of time before a hard decision is made.

Personally, I think our defence is significantly stronger than our forward situation (for both current roster players AND prospects), so that's where the first cut should logically be made... but that's just my opinion. Who knows, maybe Muckler is actually shopping Chara in anticipation of him demanding a much bigger salary than Redden as a UFA? At the end of the day, Chara, Redden, Alfredsson, Hossa & Havlat can't ALL be irreplaceable.

Old
08-18-2005, 05:54 PM
armani
Guy Likes

Quote:
Smolinski, De Vries, Varada, .......................... Alfredsson.

The nucleus (core) should be Chara, Redden, Hossa, Havlat, and Spezza.

Old
08-18-2005, 06:16 PM
armani
Guy Likes

Btw, Smokes, De Vries, and Varada trio alone would give Muckler about $5 M+ to play with. Alfredsson would be used in the absolute WORST CASE scenario. I don't see why we cannot keep the core of Chara, Redden, Hossa, Havlat, and Spezza without dropping one of them.

Old
08-22-2005, 08:10 AM
Cat Called Bobcat

We're coming down to the wire here...one full day left. Think we'll hear anything today?

Old
08-22-2005, 08:22 AM
miser

No. His hearing is tomorrow and the signing deadline will be before the ruling comes down. Not sure how long the arbitrator will deliberate.

Old
08-22-2005, 11:12 PM
MojoJojo

I predict Hossa recieves 5.8, and the Sens decide to keep him and will be right up against the cap. They can always trade a non key player to get some wiggle room, ie Havlat for a top rookie or dump DeVries and replace him with a min wage vet.

Closed Thread