HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Smyth, is there still a chance he could be playing center?

Closed Thread

Old
10-01-2003, 10:01 PM
JOE_SCHMOE

vCash: 500
Smyth, is there still a chance he could be playing center?

Hey people,

We just finished drafting for a yahoo league, with points based on everything from +/- to pims to face offs won, etc. I managed to steal Ryan Smyth in the 3rd round, with the 45th pick. Now I know if the guy stays healthy he's good for 30+ goals, his share of PP pts and pims, but what I really want to know is if the Oilers are planning on using him at center like they were suggesting early on in camp because if that's the case then he'll be a real dynamo for me considering he's listed as a LWer in our pool and wont be taking up a center posn from my roster, while still pouring in the face wins.

Was it just an experiment or does it look like it could actually happen?

Any responses would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks all

PS - I also wound up with Dvorak and Brewer as late round pick-ups (10th and 11th rounds respectively) so if anyone wants to give me a heads up on what I can expect from either of those guys this year, that would be a bonus. I'm thinking 25g and 50pts (lots on the PP) with an even rating for Dvorak is definately attainable; while Brewer hopefully bounces back with a solid 30+ pt season, with some decent defensive #s (pims and +/-).

Old
10-01-2003, 10:16 PM
USC Trojans
Thank you, Ales.

50-60 points for D-Vo sounds about right...with an even plus minus. Also, Brewer should get about 30-40 points. I'm hoping this would be his breakout year.

Getting Smyth in the third round for yahoo is okay...but the real sleepers are Sakic, Samsonov, Pronger, Allison, and Deadmarsh. I've gotten Sakic in the 3rd round, Pronger on the 5th, and Samsonov on the 7th. Some people just don't bother to look further down the lists.

Old
10-01-2003, 10:18 PM
USC Trojans
Thank you, Ales.

oh, and as for Smyth. I don't think the center experiment will last very long. So don't count on it. If healthy, he should be able to get you about 60-70 points, with around a +5 rating.

Old
10-01-2003, 10:46 PM
Dr_Gonz0

Quote:
Originally Posted by alzardnp1
oh, and as for Smyth. I don't think the center experiment will last very long. So don't count on it. If healthy, he should be able to get you about 60-70 points, with around a +5 rating.
To me this is rather sad. Smyth and Isbister click, and if we want to see Isbister break out, we will have to give him premium players to play with, and top line minutes. The chemistry between Smyth and Hemsky is already in place. Those 2 knew where the other would be at all times for the last month of the season it seemed. They should at least give the Isbister-Smyth-Hemsky line a dozen games to see if they can suceed. Face-offs are something Smyth could get better with, with some practice, and due to his rough and tumble style, its very hard on his body. Putting him at centre and keeping him from getting bashed up in the crease will prolong his career and keep him off the IR, let the larger Isbister go to the crease to cause a ruckus, it suites him better. This line has all the makings of a true first line IMO:

Isbister - Crease-crasher, make room on the ice for hemsky.
Hemsky - The brains of the operation.
Smyth - The finish man that Hemsky needs to put those pretty passes in the net.

If you look back a few years, it even sort of resembles the Smyth-Weight-Guerin line, except the playmaker would now be on the right wing instead of at centre. these boys all ahve seemed to click, and it would be a shame to not at least give them a chance at the big dance before they are broken up. Just my 2 cents.

Old
10-01-2003, 11:26 PM
LoweDown

Send a message via ICQ to LoweDown
But problem is that Smyth is the crash banger and has been all his career.

Thats simply how he plays...

Mabye give this idea a try....

Old
10-01-2003, 11:42 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

i think he'll start the year at centre, but i dont know how long it will last.

Old
10-01-2003, 11:45 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Gonz0
If you look back a few years, it even sort of resembles the Smyth-Weight-Guerin line, except the playmaker would now be on the right wing instead of at centre. these boys all ahve seemed to click, and it would be a shame to not at least give them a chance at the big dance before they are broken up. Just my 2 cents.
if you put your 2 cents in, but only get a penny for your thoughts, where does the other penny go?

Old
10-02-2003, 08:49 AM
jer96

Send a message via MSN to jer96
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie
if you put your 2 cents in, but only get a penny for your thoughts, where does the other penny go?
The government takes it. Then later on it wants the 1st penny.

Old
10-02-2003, 12:10 PM
Chayos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer96
To Funny!

Old
10-02-2003, 12:21 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer96
Hey jer96, you forgot the GST, so you end up in the hole 2.14 cents. [img]images/smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Old
10-02-2003, 12:57 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Maybe temporarily, but definitely not permanently, IMHO:

1. Smyth's best asset is his ability to drive down the boards and squeak by defensemen to create scoring opportunities. Putting him at center effectively eliminates that aspect of his game.

2. A center needs to have fairly good face-off abilities. Smyth isn't going to be able to do it consistently on a game-to-game basis.

3. Shifting from wing to center is a difficult defensive change to make. Smyth may get away with a few mental lapses here and there early on, but defensive mistakes will cost the team wins over the course of a long season.

4. Hopefully Comrie re-signs, or at the very least, gets traded for a center.

5. Once York fully heals, he's much more suited to playing the center position than Smyth is. York is less effective playing center than he is wing, but Smyth is MUCH less effective playing center than wing.

6. Putting Smyth in the center position moves Isbister up to first line LW. While Isbister should be given a chance at that position during the season, playing him consistently in that role may put too much pressure on him to produce.

Closed Thread