HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Miscellaneous NHL Talk XV (Magic Numbers in OP)

Closed Thread

Old
04-02-2014, 03:03 PM
flyershockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I don't see them going full tank with Nolan behind the bench. They had opportunities to completely blow it up but kept Stafford, Stewart, Tallinder, & Ehrhoff instead.

They'll be bad regardless but I don't think they want to get blown out of the building every night & have no veteran presence for the younger players on the roster like Edmonton has seemingly been doing for how many years now.
Really? I could see all of those guys gone in the right situation. None of them are going to want to stick around for what seems like a sure rebuild. Plus, they could get some pretty good packages for guys like Stafford and Erhoff. Stewart is going bolt the first chance he gets, so it would make sense to move him. And Tallinder isn't going to want to retire playing for a team that has no chance of even sniffing the playoffs. For a veteran presence, I could see them signing a couple of desparate older guys that the rest of the league passed over.

Old
04-02-2014, 03:24 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Really? I could see all of those guys gone in the right situation. None of them are going to want to stick around for what seems like a sure rebuild. Plus, they could get some pretty good packages for guys like Stafford and Erhoff. Stewart is going bolt the first chance he gets, so it would make sense to move him. And Tallinder isn't going to want to retire playing for a team that has no chance of even sniffing the playoffs. For a veteran presence, I could see them signing a couple of desparate older guys that the rest of the league passed over.
I just think teams will be weary of committing to a full tank after seeing what has happened to Edmonton all these years.

They'll be picking in the top 5 next year regardless & even if they don't land McDavid/Eichel they'll still be walking away with another high end player as a consolation prize.

They have guys like Hodgson, Ennis, & Myers who are young but are starting to break out plus who knows what will happen with some of the countless prospects they have already acquired or will be this June who some will be given opportunities to prove themselves next year for a roster spot.

The league is getting younger & younger every year now a days, if they play their cards right I don't think it will be a long wait for them to start competing for playoff spots.

Old
04-02-2014, 03:37 PM
Larry44

Quote:
The way McDonagh skated off with his shoulder hanging like that makes it look like he separated it. The recovery time for one of those can vary depending on the level of separation.
Since he's their best player, if he's not available, it could affect their last few games in the run up to the playoffs. Could help the Flyers catch them, or be a factor early in round one, i.e. hit him early, hard and often....

Old
04-02-2014, 04:50 PM
MR28
9 17 32 14 55 4

Is there a reason why there's a poll asking if MacK is on the Crosby/Malkin/Stamkos/Ovi tier.
And why are most people saying yes. Am I missing something ?

Old
04-02-2014, 05:02 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaaah View Post
Is there a reason why there's a poll asking if MacK is on the Crosby/Malkin/Stamkos/Ovi tier.
And why are most people saying yes. Am I missing something ?
He's a former #1 pick who's scratching the surface, this place tends to go overboard when talking about young players, potential > proven. There were some people complaining about him not being on the Canadian team before the tournament started as well.

He's having a good rookie year but 3 out of 4 of those players listed up there blew his out of the water.

I like MacKinnon though & do think he's going to be a good one who will be in the upper echelon of players one day but not right now.

Old
04-02-2014, 05:53 PM
Legion of Gloom
The Holy Ghost

vCash: 115822
Wild win Folin derby

Old
04-02-2014, 06:02 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
He's a former #1 pick who's scratching the surface, this place tends to go overboard when talking about young players, potential > proven. There were some people complaining about him not being on the Canadian team before the tournament started as well.

He's having a good rookie year but 3 out of 4 of those players listed up there blew his out of the water.

I like MacKinnon though & do think he's going to be a good one who will be in the upper echelon of players one day but not right now.
Pretty much. It reminds me of the RNH hype train after his rookie year. People were calling him the next Datstyuk. The challenge is in the second and third years when you teams start to figure your game out more.

Old
04-02-2014, 06:22 PM
Random Forest
aka hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Pretty much. It reminds me of the RNH hype train after his rookie year. People were calling him the next Datstyuk. The challenge is in the second and third years when you teams start to figure your game out more.
The challenge is in the second and third year, but I don't think it has anything to do with teams figuring out their games. These guys are scouted extensively, and chances are coaches can get a read on them after a couple months in the NHL.

The challenge is due to the quality of ice time young players tend to get. Rookies are heavily sheltered; it's easy to succeed, and it's why so many youngsters jump onto the scene so quickly. The sophomore slump is a very predictable phenomenon. After one year of getting the feet wet, these players then get tougher matchups, less O-zone starts, etc. Production falls until the player can adjust.

I think Sean Monahan's going to be another excellent example of this next year. He's getting ridiculously easy minutes, and he's done very well with them. Next year, Calgary will rely on his defensive ability more, give him tougher assignments, and his production will fall, and he'll soon fall out of favor with HF.

Old
04-02-2014, 06:42 PM
Jtown

Quote:
The RNH hype was manipulated by giving the kids a insane amount of ozone and pp time. RNH's success ( so far) has mainly been tied to his pp performance.

However RNH looks to be filling out and could be an absolute beast next year.

Old
04-02-2014, 07:01 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
For those who follow prospects in general Jake McCabe has signed his entry level deal with the Sabres and is expected to join them. In a few years that Sabres defense is going to be scary.

Too bad they have NO offense.
They have Leino. All they need is Briere to reunite him with and they'll be piling those Cups up.

Old
04-02-2014, 10:22 PM
SAINDON

Nyquist is a beast.

Old
04-02-2014, 10:25 PM
Prongo
Beer

Man, I never realized how bad Clarkson's contract is. So many signing bonuses lol. Makes it almost un-buyoutable.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...&click=dlvr.it

04-03-2014, 07:18 AM
Akanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAINDON View Post
Nyquist is a beast.
Yea, I wish we had players like him

Old
04-03-2014, 08:27 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akanon View Post

Damn that's some speed. Makes Chara look like a chump

04-03-2014, 08:29 AM
Coffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akanon View Post

Is that thing speed up. Holy **** has he got wheels. Making Chara look like the worlds largest pylon.

Old
04-03-2014, 08:39 AM
Curufinwe

vCash: 50
Voracek can skate like that sometimes. But he can't finish all that well.

Old
04-03-2014, 08:39 AM
RJ8812*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffe View Post
Is that thing speed up. Holy **** has he got wheels. Making Chara look like the worlds largest pylon.
Cool, but our captain has already done that along with making Thomas look bad too

Old
04-03-2014, 08:55 AM
Akanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffe View Post
The gif is a little faster.

Last edited by Akanon: 04-03-2014 at 09:00 AM.
Old
04-03-2014, 09:45 AM
flyersfan018

vCash: 172
Quote:
To be fair I still think RNH is going to be amazing. He's just stuck on a ****** Edmonton team.

Old
04-03-2014, 10:10 AM
Prongo
Beer

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=448163

Quote:
A Winnipeg newspaper says court documents it's obtained show Winnipeg Jets' forward Evander Kane has been accused of an assault that allegedly occurred in Vancouver last summer.

The Free Press says the documents show Lev Makievsky, a Vancouver-area resident, is seeking unspecified financial damages in a statement of claim filed last week in the Supreme Court of British Columbia.

Makievsky alleges he was jumped by Kane one evening last August as he was walking home from a bar where he was working in promotions.
Kane keeps running into trouble wherever he goes. I have a feeling he will be moved this off season and even one of the Jets posters that has credible information said that he could be moved as well.

Old
04-03-2014, 10:16 AM
Fragmuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
The challenge is in the second and third year, but I don't think it has anything to do with teams figuring out their games. These guys are scouted extensively, and chances are coaches can get a read on them after a couple months in the NHL.

The challenge is due to the quality of ice time young players tend to get. Rookies are heavily sheltered; it's easy to succeed, and it's why so many youngsters jump onto the scene so quickly. The sophomore slump is a very predictable phenomenon. After one year of getting the feet wet, these players then get tougher matchups, less O-zone starts, etc. Production falls until the player can adjust.

I think Sean Monahan's going to be another excellent example of this next year. He's getting ridiculously easy minutes, and he's done very well with them. Next year, Calgary will rely on his defensive ability more, give him tougher assignments, and his production will fall, and he'll soon fall out of favor with HF.
Why isn't Barkov getting any love... i personaly believe that he is the best of last years bunch. Unlike Mackinnon, RNH, Monahan etc. he has been playing tough minutes from the get go. The injuries and being on a weak Florida team haven't helped, but its amazing how he gets overlooked.

Old
04-03-2014, 10:26 AM
Prongo
Beer

http://www.courierpostonline.com/sto...-four/7236109/

Quote:
"If the management they had there before was there, like (former general manager Jay) Feaster, the ones that drafted him, I'd be really comfortable letting him go," Guy Gaudreau said. "I know that (Calgary president of hockey operations) Brian Burke likes big boys, big hockey players. My son is not a big hockey player. He's made it clear that he likes him or whatever, but I don't think he's sold on him. That's been John all his life, wherever he tried out. It's always been, 'He's got to prove himself, prove himself, prove himself.' He's done that over and over and over."
Quote:
"My wife and I, we've argued about it quite a few times," Guy Gaudreau said. "As a father, and her as a mother, we'd love for him to go back for his senior year and get a degree. As a hockey person that knows the game, it would be better for him if he wanted to eventually make the NHL to go sign with Calgary."
If he goes back for his senior year I think all hell will break lose. I don't think Burke will be happy and there is a chance he could make it through the loophole. It's not something I can see happening but it is something that is worthy of monitoring.

Last edited by Prongo: 04-03-2014 at 10:46 AM.
Old
04-03-2014, 10:42 AM
King Forsberg
16 21 28 44 68 88 93

vCash: 200
Listen to your parents Johnny. School is cool. Then come to the Flyers!

Old
04-03-2014, 12:16 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

TEAM Radio ‏@TEAM1040 12m
On whether Torts will be back next season; @GMMikeGillis "I'm not sure I'll be back next season"

04-03-2014, 12:24 PM
Harold Bingo
what

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
TEAM Radio ‏@TEAM1040 12m
On whether Torts will be back next season; @GMMikeGillis "I'm not sure I'll be back next season"

Now that's telling it like it is.

Closed Thread