HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Justin Kea signs ELC

Old
04-01-2014, 02:39 PM
dotcommunism

vCash: 500
Justin Kea signs ELC

@SabresProspects 1m
Justin Kea (2012, third round) has signed his three-year entry-level deal with the #Sabres, per @corybutzin http://www.mlive.com/spirit/index.ss...aginaw_sp.html

https://twitter.com/SabresProspects/...80646035648512

Presumably this contract starts next season.

dotcommunism is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 02:39 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
now onto Locke

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 02:46 PM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Hopefully we develop him into a prototypical shutdown C.

couture23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 02:46 PM
Rodrigo
AKA Jose

great move, now lets load up the Amerks for next year even more, him and Grigorenko will definitely give them a boost the next 9 games and good experience for him to get his feet dirty earlier instead of waiting until October

Rodrigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 02:50 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by couture23 View Post
Hopefully we develop him into a prototypical shutdown C.
I think he can be an above-average 4C. I think the absolute ceiling is a guy like Brian Boyle, but more likely he's a guy who can play 10 mins/game and won't hurt you on the 4th line.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 02:55 PM
dotcommunism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose View Post
great move, now lets load up the Amerks for next year even more, him and Grigorenko will definitely give them a boost the next 9 games and good experience for him to get his feet dirty earlier instead of waiting until October
I'm skeptical that Kea is much of a factor with Rochester this season, if he even plays

Old
04-01-2014, 03:02 PM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I think he can be an above-average 4C. I think the absolute ceiling is a guy like Brian Boyle, but more likely he's a guy who can play 10 mins/game and won't hurt you on the 4th line.
I see his ceiling as a better skating Gaustad; a great 4th liner, or a pretty good third liner. I'm not very high on him, tho.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 03:21 PM
gallagt01

Expected.

Could be a valuable depth/role player down the road.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 03:25 PM
ZeroPT
Tanky as ****

sweet

ZeroPT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 04:04 PM
OcAirlines

Right now I see his ceiling as Zenon Konopka, which isn't that bad but I still hope he proves me wrong

OcAirlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 04:07 PM
ZeroPT
Tanky as ****

Quote:
Originally Posted by OcAirlines View Post
Right now I see his ceiling as Zenon Konopka, which isn't that bad but I still hope he proves me wrong
that's worst case scenario. I think he's a pretty good bet that he's an ideal 4th line C.
Gaustad clone imo

Old
04-01-2014, 04:45 PM
26CornerBlitz

@BuffaloSabres

NEWS: The #Sabres have signed Justin Kea (@JKea09) to a three-year, entry-level contract.

26CornerBlitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 04:57 PM
Afino
The Juice

Kevin Oklobzija @kevinoDandC
Just an FYI: Justin Kea has signed his ELC with #Sabres but he's with the #Amerks for rest of this season on an ATO. ELC kicks in for 14-15.

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 05:01 PM
26CornerBlitz

04/01 – SABRES SIGN FORWARD JUSTIN KEA (Ian Ott – Sabres PR)
Quote:
BUFFALO, N.Y. (April 1, 2014) --- The Buffalo Sabres today announced the team has signed forward Justin Kea to a three-year, entry-level contract.

Kea (6'4", 210 lbs., 2/7/94) recently completed his fourth season with the Saginaw Spirit (OHL) by logging career-best totals in goals (22), assists (27), points (49) and plus-minus (+14) through 58 games played. He added four points (1+3) in the Spirit’s five-game playoff series against the Erie Otters.

The Woodville, Ontario native was selected by the Sabres in the third round (73rd overall) of the 2012 NHL Entry Draft. In four OHL seasons with the Spirit, he appeared in 253 games and totaled 117 points (51+66).

Old
04-01-2014, 05:18 PM
dotcommunism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afino View Post
Kevin Oklobzija @kevinoDandC
Just an FYI: Justin Kea has signed his ELC with #Sabres but he's with the #Amerks for rest of this season on an ATO. ELC kicks in for 14-15.
Asssumed as much. This means that he's waiver exempt through the 2017 offseason or until he plays 160 NHL games (whichever happens first). Furthermore, Kea will be eligible for group 3 unrestricted free agency status in 2021.

Old
04-01-2014, 05:21 PM
B U F F A L O

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotcommunism View Post
Asssumed as much. This means that he's waiver exempt through the 2017 offseason or until he plays 160 NHL games (whichever happens first). Furthermore, Kea will be eligible for group 3 unrestricted free agency status in 2021.
What wouldve happened had it not have been an ATO? Would he burn a year of ELC, or does that only happen if he plays more than 9 games in BUF?

B U F F A L O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 05:26 PM
26CornerBlitz

@JKea09

Very happy to be taking another step down the right path and honoured to sign with @BuffaloSabres #bleedblueandgold

Old
04-01-2014, 06:05 PM
dotcommunism

Quote:
Originally Posted by B U F F A L O View Post
What wouldve happened had it not have been an ATO? Would he burn a year of ELC, or does that only happen if he plays more than 9 games in BUF?
Not entirely sure, tbh. From article 9, regarding entry level contracts we have this:

9.2 Age of Players. As used in this Article, "age," including "First SPC Signing Age," means a Player's age on September 15 of the calendar year in which he signs an SPC, regardless of his actual age on the date he signs such SPC.

However, the way Capgeek seems to treat it, a player signing an ELC which starts this current season is counted for these purposes as having signed in 2013. For example, Matt Carey turned 22 recently and signed a contract with Chicago which starts this season. Capgeek has him listed as 21 for first SPC signing age purposes, though.

This might be an error on Capgeek's part, although they've been applying the same standard to other players signing ELCs now that start this season. They have Chad Ruhwedel's signing age as 23 when he signed last season, which could be inconsistent with the new ELCs for this year, however the lockout was also an issue last season, so that could explain the discrepency. EDIT: it should also be noted that Capgeek has Jeremy Welsh, who signed for the 2011-2012 season in April 2012 (with a April 1988 birthdate) with a first SPC signing age of 24, rather than 23. This is again inconsistent with how Capgeek is handling it with new SPCs although it should be noted this was under a previous CBA

Now whether or not Capgeek is correct I'm not entirely sure. If Kea were to count as an age 19 player if his contract started this season then he would be eligible for the entry level slide this season and the waiver situation would be the same as it is now. If he counted as an age 20 player if his contract started this season, then he wouldn't be eligible for the contract slide and his waiver exemption would expire one season earlier.

Last edited by dotcommunism: 04-01-2014 at 06:24 PM.
Old
04-01-2014, 06:36 PM
OcAirlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroPT View Post
that's worst case scenario. I think he's a pretty good bet that he's an ideal 4th line C.
Gaustad clone imo
I just think that a lot of people around here are too optimistic when it comes to Kea. He might be good defensively and in the faceoff circle, like Gaustad, but so far there are no indications that he has any sort of pro-level offense to his game. And I'm not talking top-six offense, but the ability to put up 20-30 points as a bottom-liner, like Gaustad did. Kea's numbers aren't even close to those Gaustad had at the same stage of his career - in fact even Konopka had shown a better offensive game at this age, that's why I mentioned him as an comparable. And who knows if a good faceoff-skill and good defense by junior standards will translate to the NHL? Right now Kea is way less of a sure bet to make the NHL than people make it sound. And even if he does, I think chances that he ends up as a Zenono Konopka or Matt Ellis type of player are just as high as chances of him becoming a Paul Gaustad caliber guy. But of course I still wish the kid all the best and would be more than happy if he proves me wrong .

Last edited by OcAirlines: 04-01-2014 at 06:49 PM.
Old
04-01-2014, 10:34 PM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

I'd be very happy if he turned into a Gaustad type player. Great 4th liner is my hope.

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 07:47 AM
ZeroPT
Tanky as ****

Quote:
Originally Posted by OcAirlines View Post
I just think that a lot of people around here are too optimistic when it comes to Kea. He might be good defensively and in the faceoff circle, like Gaustad, but so far there are no indications that he has any sort of pro-level offense to his game. And I'm not talking top-six offense, but the ability to put up 20-30 points as a bottom-liner, like Gaustad did. Kea's numbers aren't even close to those Gaustad had at the same stage of his career - in fact even Konopka had shown a better offensive game at this age, that's why I mentioned him as an comparable. And who knows if a good faceoff-skill and good defense by junior standards will translate to the NHL? Right now Kea is way less of a sure bet to make the NHL than people make it sound. And even if he does, I think chances that he ends up as a Zenono Konopka or Matt Ellis type of player are just as high as chances of him becoming a Paul Gaustad caliber guy. But of course I still wish the kid all the best and would be more than happy if he proves me wrong .
I disagree. I really do think he can put up 15-25 points as a 4th line center while being very good on draws and solid defensively.

He put up some decent numbers in junior and has steadily improved his production.

Imagine a 4th line of
Foligno-Kea-Deslauriers

Old
04-02-2014, 04:57 PM
LaxSabre

vCash: 213
‏@RSandersonWHTK - #Amerks F Kea not debuting tonight - he's skating w/the extras (Gauthier-Leduc, Vidmar, McGuire) this morning.

LaxSabre - guess he debuts this weekend - Friday vs Binghamton or Saturday at Toronto.

LaxSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 05:01 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
I disagree. I really do think he can put up 15-25 points as a 4th line center while being very good on draws and solid defensively.

He put up some decent numbers in junior and has steadily improved his production.

Imagine a 4th line of
Foligno-Kea-Deslauriers
I think you're not remembering Goose correctly. He put up as much as 36 points with the Sabres. In his last year of juniors, he had 80 points (36 goals) in 72 games. Kea had 49 points in 58 games this year. I'd be ecstatic if Kea had Goose's offensive numbers while being solid defensively, winning draws, and penalty killing.

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 05:06 PM
ZeroPT
Tanky as ****

Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
I think you're not remembering Goose correctly. He put up as much as 36 points with the Sabres. In his last year of juniors, he had 80 points (36 goals) in 72 games. Kea had 49 points in 58 games this year. I'd be ecstatic if Kea had Goose's offensive numbers while being solid defensively, winning draws, and penalty killing.
I don't mind if he doesn't have his offensive game at Goose's level

Old
04-02-2014, 09:28 PM
OcAirlines

Quote:
I don't mind if he doesn't have his offensive game at Goose's level
But that's the point. Goose without any sort of noticeable offensive game is, well... Zenon Konopka.