HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2014 REDSKINS Thread Part I (0 - 1 - 0)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-10-2014, 10:49 PM
  #201
Chokingdogs
Registered User
 
Chokingdogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cush View Post
a kicker? WTF.........Zack Hocker, K, Arkansas

New coach, same WTF drafting
somebody say kicker??


Chokingdogs is offline  
Old
05-11-2014, 06:49 AM
  #202
RandyHolt
Ahhhh Smiddy
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 29,057
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
Murphy had the best agility rating in the draft. As in #1. Also considered very smart. But he lacks top flight speed. How many times do we lament not drafting players who have intangibles over pure talent? Devin Thomas, Fred Davis, Malcolm Kelly. Remember that historically bad 2nd round?

At least let's see where this new approach takes them. They've drafted well under Allen.

If they can find one lineman between Moses and Long they're winners.
I am fine with the player, just not at 34 overall, into a position of strength. I sure hope they have big plans for him but I am struggling to see how to fit him into a package, short of another torn pectoral for our franchise tag.

We heard last year that we had a package on D (swift) that was going to be a flyweight pass D with all our stud rushers. We never saw it but maybe 5 snaps. Short of being up 3 scores late, I am not sure we will see it again enough to draft around it. Teams will presume just run all over it if we show it.

It reeks of being a luxury pick, a hedge against Rak leaving. We have Jackson and Jenkins already in the fold to hold us over.

I am not alone in questioning the pick, not the player, and do recognize its a new approach by the front office.... that really isn't exactly new with Allen Campbell and Brown. Patience is always key on draft day, but usually a teams first choice, not so much. The player intrigues me, he was a discus tosser and has a great spin move.

If our kicker we got doesn't punt it was a dumb pick. The draft just reeked of meh. 2 of our first 3 picks were poo poo'd by the panel as both could have been had later.

RandyHolt is offline  
Old
05-11-2014, 07:07 AM
  #203
HunterSThompson
Registered User
 
HunterSThompson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 3,491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I am fine with the player, just not at 34 overall, into a position of strength.
To be fair, they traded back from 34 and picked up a third rounder that they used on Spencer Long, and then took Murphy at 47.

HunterSThompson is offline  
Old
05-11-2014, 07:38 AM
  #204
RandyHolt
Ahhhh Smiddy
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 29,057
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterSThompson View Post
To be fair, they traded back from 34 and picked up a third rounder that they used on Spencer Long, and then took Murphy at 47.
I stand corrected.

When you trade down, you sacrifice quality for quantity, exactly what I wanted to avoid early on. I wanted a stud that could help right away. Dallas took Lawrence 6.06 with our pick.

We may well have gotten 1 hopefully 2 but questions remain. How will one get on the field, and will Long be the same after his injury history.

It was interesting to hear Moses sucked at RT and did great at left. I hope that gets sorted out quickly.

I think Allen has us on a 2 year retool but then again question why we bothered tagging Rak. We could have used that money to grab 2 good FA's and compete next season.


Last edited by RandyHolt: 05-11-2014 at 07:43 AM.
RandyHolt is offline  
Old
05-19-2014, 06:04 PM
  #205
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Oh God What's This
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 70,509
vCash: 500
Begin with a "why?" pick, end with a "why?" pick.

__________________
Saturday night, I like to raise a little harm. I'll sleep when I'm dead.
Beef Invictus is online now  
Old
05-19-2014, 06:49 PM
  #206
WetHog
Out to Lunch
 
WetHog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 17,289
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WetHog
I will break my self imposed Skins ban to respond to RHs questions/concerns about the recent draft.

All about adding depth to a team in desperate need of it. The good kind of depth. Solid football players that can be developed.

And the 2 OL in the 3rd is signaling an obvious shift away from the Shanahan era OL. Big boys that can move a little and bring grit. I like it.

Also, kicker in the 7th shows how important touch backs have become. Especially for a defense that needs all the help it can get via field position.

WetHog is offline  
Old
05-19-2014, 11:18 PM
  #207
Capathetic
Registered User
 
Capathetic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
I will break my self imposed Skins ban to respond to RHs questions/concerns about the recent draft.

All about adding depth to a team in desperate need of it. The good kind of depth. Solid football players that can be developed.

And the 2 OL in the 3rd is signaling an obvious shift away from the Shanahan era OL. Big boys that can move a little and bring grit. I like it.

Also, kicker in the 7th shows how important touch backs have become. Especially for a defense that needs all the help it can get via field position.
Nice write up.

I like the Murphy pick. IMO he will be one of if not the leader of the defense in a few years. Hard working guy with finesse moves and will only add strength at the pro level. Plus the second your boy Rak limps off and it will happen,this guy will be ready. It's not like you couldn't get them all on the field on 3rd down/throughout the course of a game.

Special teams is starting to a least look like it's being addressed. It was cool while they were in tank mode but ST was embarrassing and has been for quite awhile.

Capathetic is offline  
Old
05-20-2014, 05:17 AM
  #208
RandyHolt
Ahhhh Smiddy
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 29,057
vCash: 50
Until Haslet invents a way to use 3 OLBs our top pick was a luxury pick. That should be a starter. We had no first. We can't **** around.

A 3-13 team needs starters, not depth. The exact type of player the Ravens drafted immediately after us, a Terrence Brooks.

We could have had Bitonio but instead went with more of a project at OT. About touchbacks, I am not sure we can afford the luxury of 2 placekickers, unless the new guy also punts.

The draft approach was neither BPA nor addressing needs. It was a head scratcher. Its largely the same guys as during Shanahan where I thought our drafting mostly sucked. Morris, 6rd rounder blah blah.

I like the players we chose, just question the strategy.

RandyHolt is offline  
Old
05-20-2014, 05:37 AM
  #209
g00n
Global Moderator
♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
 
g00n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 15,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Until Haslet invents a way to use 3 OLBs our top pick was a luxury pick. That should be a starter. We had no first. We can't **** around.

A 3-13 team needs starters, not depth. The exact type of player the Ravens drafted immediately after us, a Terrence Brooks.

We could have had Bitonio but instead went with more of a project at OT. About touchbacks, I am not sure we can afford the luxury of 2 placekickers, unless the new guy also punts.

The draft approach was neither BPA nor addressing needs. It was a head scratcher. Its largely the same guys as during Shanahan where I thought our drafting mostly sucked. Morris, 6rd rounder blah blah.

I like the players we chose, just question the strategy.
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nf...cap-notes?pg=2

Quote:
15. Washington Redskins
Available Cap Space — $21,938,568

Owner Dan Snyder must be licking his chops. Washington’s $89,403,841 in 2013 cash expenditures was just 72.7% of 2013’s $123 million salary cap. Even with the $11,455,000 cash and cap spend used to franchise tag Brian Orakpo, dissecting their active books shows an even lower 2014 cash spend. This means Washington has more incentive to spend free agency dollars -- Snyder's favorite pastime. If Washington can lock up Orakpo long-term, his 2014 cap number should decrease, leaving Washington with an even greater amount of spending money than what’s listed.
I think the cap is actually $133K? Anyway if this is accurate then the draft may have been for depth and development, not starters, and the FA market (Snyder's playground) may be the real target for starters. Again.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/freea...tatus=1&type=1

Doesn't look like there's a lot there.


Last edited by g00n: 05-20-2014 at 05:42 AM.
g00n is offline  
Old
05-20-2014, 08:41 AM
  #210
RandyHolt
Ahhhh Smiddy
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 29,057
vCash: 50
NFL salary caps are a complete joke. They can restructure any vet contract at any time, and convert to bonuses. The teams with lots of cash have been exploiting this for decades. It's why Mara is so pissed. Yep, Washington followed Dallas's lead from the 1990's.

You'd think there would be capgeeks for the NFL for the past 10+ years. Nope. As recent as last year, I could not find a site to track NFL cap space. There is a reason. They are meaningless.

I think odds point to our top 2 picks not even starting a single game this year. If you tip your hat to that - fine - but understand some set a higher bar for 3-13 teams drafting plans.

RandyHolt is offline  
Old
05-20-2014, 09:18 AM
  #211
ColincampbellOscopy
Registered User
 
ColincampbellOscopy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 1,623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nf...cap-notes?pg=2



I think the cap is actually $133K? Anyway if this is accurate then the draft may have been for depth and development, not starters, and the FA market (Snyder's playground) may be the real target for starters. Again.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/freea...tatus=1&type=1

Doesn't look like there's a lot there.
Well that article is from march and the free agency period came and went then. you're not finding any legitimate starting options at this point.

ColincampbellOscopy is offline  
Old
05-21-2014, 11:42 PM
  #212
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough
 
SimplySensational's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: VA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,225
vCash: 500
God I hate the NFL.

James Morris, goes undrafted, signs as a free agent. Gets injured during training, Pats say F You and goodbye. Such a scummy practice.

SimplySensational is offline  
Old
05-22-2014, 12:15 AM
  #213
Capathetic
Registered User
 
Capathetic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Until Haslet invents a way to use 3 OLBs our top pick was a luxury pick. That should be a starter. We had no first. We can't **** around.

A 3-13 team needs starters, not depth. The exact type of player the Ravens drafted immediately after us, a Terrence Brooks.

We could have had Bitonio but instead went with more of a project at OT. About touchbacks, I am not sure we can afford the luxury of 2 placekickers, unless the new guy also punts.

The draft approach was neither BPA nor addressing needs. It was a head scratcher. Its largely the same guys as during Shanahan where I thought our drafting mostly sucked. Morris, 6rd rounder blah blah.

I like the players we chose, just question the strategy.
The ravens took that big dude Cody a few years back and he hasn't quite stolen the starting role. Not a lot of second round picks crack the starting lineup right away. Just be patient my friend as it was the lack of depth that put this team in its standing position.

The special teams starts. Desean alone is a huge upgrade.

Morgan Moses looks like a starter to me on that RT spot. You don't think he will push the current RT out of his spot?

Capathetic is offline  
Old
05-22-2014, 08:19 AM
  #214
RandyHolt
Ahhhh Smiddy
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 29,057
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capathetic View Post

Morgan Moses looks like a starter to me on that RT spot. You don't think he will push the current RT out of his spot?
You are right about patience needed. But its the internets, so we complain! But its not hockey, these are full grown men coming out of very strong 4 year programs and many contribute.

I think Polumbus improved a lot last year and will walk on water to try to hold off Moses. Suddenly, our interior was a mess. Moses is raw but has lots of potential. He sucked at RT so they moved him left and he did great, but it's back to right he goes. He struggles to run block, the opposite of Tyler who more struggles in pass pro (may have them backwards).

Playing tackle has to be one of the hardest jobs out there and I don't see Gruden risking RG3 with a raw kid early on. I see him backing up Trent this year and that means hopefully zero snaps.

Speaking of OL, I am burned out on Kory. I want an upgrade, you know, someone that has played center before, in the NFL. Since we don't have anyone, maybe Long.

RH OL Starter / Backup Projections

Trent/Moses
Lauvao/Hurt
Long/Kory
LeRib/Gettis
Tyler/Compton

RandyHolt is offline  
Old
05-22-2014, 08:45 AM
  #215
Capitlols
Historic Chokers
 
Capitlols's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 12,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
You are right about patience needed. But its the internets, so we complain! But its not hockey, these are full grown men coming out of very strong 4 year programs and many contribute.

I think Polumbus improved a lot last year and will walk on water to try to hold off Moses. Suddenly, our interior was a mess. Moses is raw but has lots of potential. He sucked at RT so they moved him left and he did great, but it's back to right he goes. He struggles to run block, the opposite of Tyler who more struggles in pass pro (may have them backwards).

Playing tackle has to be one of the hardest jobs out there and I don't see Gruden risking RG3 with a raw kid early on. I see him backing up Trent this year and that means hopefully zero snaps.

Speaking of OL, I am burned out on Kory. I want an upgrade, you know, someone that has played center before, in the NFL. Since we don't have anyone, maybe Long.

RH OL Starter / Backup Projections

Trent/Moses
Lauvao/Hurt
Long/Kory
LeRib/Gettis
Tyler/Compton
I wouldn't be surprised if LeRibs got cut.

Capitlols is offline  
Old
05-22-2014, 09:17 AM
  #216
Capathetic
Registered User
 
Capathetic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if LeRibs got cut.
Wonder why Davin Joseph hasn't gotten any looks? Drafted by Bruce and fairly early...position of need. He is available for a reason however.

Capathetic is offline  
Old
05-22-2014, 09:25 AM
  #217
RandyHolt
Ahhhh Smiddy
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 29,057
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if LeRibs got cut.
Vegas has that paying crap odds. He has been a laughing stock since exposed on national TV for reporting 60 pounds over weight, and vowed to not let it happen again.

I like the underdog. He showed in shape. Chris Chester is our default starter as a holdover from last year. That's a low bar for Josh to jump threw and steal a spot. Maybe he ends up a center.

RandyHolt is offline  
Old
05-22-2014, 09:52 AM
  #218
usiel
Registered User
 
usiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Klendathu
Posts: 10,694
vCash: 1480
Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
You are right about patience needed. But its the internets, so we complain! But its not hockey, these are full grown men coming out of very strong 4 year programs and many contribute.

I think Polumbus improved a lot last year and will walk on water to try to hold off Moses. Suddenly, our interior was a mess. Moses is raw but has lots of potential. He sucked at RT so they moved him left and he did great, but it's back to right he goes. He struggles to run block, the opposite of Tyler who more struggles in pass pro (may have them backwards).

Playing tackle has to be one of the hardest jobs out there and I don't see Gruden risking RG3 with a raw kid early on. I see him backing up Trent this year and that means hopefully zero snaps.

Speaking of OL, I am burned out on Kory. I want an upgrade, you know, someone that has played center before, in the NFL. Since we don't have anyone, maybe Long.

RH OL Starter / Backup Projections

Trent/Moses
Lauvao/Hurt
Long/Kory
LeRib/Gettis
Tyler/Compton
Dude got so blown up last year my dad and I started call him turnstyle.

__________________
True Story™®©
usiel is offline  
Old
05-22-2014, 10:07 AM
  #219
Capitlols
Historic Chokers
 
Capitlols's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 12,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Vegas has that paying crap odds. He has been a laughing stock since exposed on national TV for reporting 60 pounds over weight, and vowed to not let it happen again.

I like the underdog. He showed in shape. Chris Chester is our default starter as a holdover from last year. That's a low bar for Josh to jump threw and steal a spot. Maybe he ends up a center.
It's a low bar, but LeRibs hasn't shown to be serviceable and we have enough center candidates

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Dude got so blown up last year my dad and I started call him turnstyle.
Pylonbus.

Capitlols is offline  
Old
05-22-2014, 10:07 AM
  #220
RandyHolt
Ahhhh Smiddy
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 29,057
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Dude got so blown up last year my dad and I started call him turnstyle.
What was he 2 years ago then, Niagara Falls?

Heck, Trent gave up 9.5 sacks last year and is regarded one of the best.

Tyler improved and heard coaches say as such. He was no all pro, but my eyes tell me the worst part of our OL last season was the interior.

RandyHolt is offline  
Old
05-22-2014, 10:26 AM
  #221
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 9,920
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Dude got so blown up last year my dad and I started call him turnstyle.
Thats what I saw.

But its funny b/c none of the experts think he outright sucks. At least one of those fancy stat websites had him rated fairly well to boot.

I don't think he's very good but I'm sure we could do alot worse.

BobRouse is offline  
Old
05-22-2014, 04:42 PM
  #222
RandyHolt
Ahhhh Smiddy
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 29,057
vCash: 50
Its funny how fans see the game different. I saw the interior blown up all year long, yet you guys think our hole was at RT. Most ES fans declared Chester the big turner.

Chester by far and large was our worse OL last year, statistically. I can't find that site that has the stats. The eye test, all 3 inside got killed to me.

Trivia, who gave up more sacks last year aka was the Tackle Turnstile, Trent or Tyler?

Most ES fans were bashing him early in the season until they realized the venom was actually from the season before. IIRC he gave up less sacks then Trent the entire year. 2012 absolutely, Tyler got blown up and one led to a scramble where III got injured.

Random someone just started an OL thread with some Tyler talk.


Last edited by RandyHolt: 05-22-2014 at 04:57 PM.
RandyHolt is offline  
Old
05-22-2014, 05:00 PM
  #223
Capitlols
Historic Chokers
 
Capitlols's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 12,565
vCash: 500
The whole damn line was garbage, even Trent at times.

By my eye test, Polumbus would struggle in the CFL.

Capitlols is offline  
Old
05-22-2014, 06:25 PM
  #224
RandyHolt
Ahhhh Smiddy
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 29,057
vCash: 50




He ranked 19th out 76 graded tackles last year. And improved, and I contend, the only player on offense behind Garcon that improved.

It's not just me and Redskins coaches saying it.

I finally found a link talking grades as an individual.

Please briefly peruse this if you think he was our worst lineman last year
http://profootballspot.com/topic/714...roving-player/

RandyHolt is offline  
Old
05-22-2014, 07:16 PM
  #225
EroCaps
Registered User
 
EroCaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 16,266
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
The whole damn line was garbage, even Trent at times.

By my eye test, Polumbus would struggle in the CFL.
Eh, it was mediocre.

Poor QB play can make a line look worse than it is.

EroCaps is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:25 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2017 All Rights Reserved.