HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

4/1: AV returns to Vancouver (McDonagh injury "not serious")

View Poll Results: 3 stars pls
Hank 107 83.59%
Hagelin 4 3.13%
D-Step 7 5.47%
Nash 20 15.63%
MSL finally (yes, I'm allowing him to be in the poll tonight) 68 53.13%
Richards 3 2.34%
Dom Masterton Moore 10 7.81%
Zucca 23 17.97%
Brassard 14 10.94%
Pouliot 43 33.59%
Boyle 7 5.47%
Carcillo 22 17.19%
Dorsett 5 3.91%
Staal 6 4.69%
Stralman 4 3.13%
McDonagh 26 20.31%
G 11 8.59%
Diaz 4 3.13%
Klein 3 2.34%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-02-2014, 10:38 AM
Pizza

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Dylan McIlrath.
One player. And he may never stick in the NHL.

The Rangers have had this issue for most of the history of the franchise.

They don't do tough very well.

Old
04-02-2014, 10:39 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazed Beaver View Post
Clowe was supposed to address our roster imbalance and unfortunately it didn't work out. He is injured again I believe, point is that sather knows what we lack but those players cost resources we don't have. Mutually assured destruction was important when the league was nastier but the days of the pure goon are limited IMO.

In the NFL the fans thrive on the violence, mma with it's growing popularity as well. So we want huge hits, knockout etc yet we don't want a hockey player who hits to hurt? For some reason people can't accept that hockey is a violent sport nor acknowledge that violence plays a significant role, especially in playoffs. Make no mistake, two men on skates smashing into one another at high rates of speed is a violent act regardless if they drop the gloves or not.

I like our team, not sure I want anyone to sit for more aggressive alternative because we don't have any that can play outside maybe mcilrath who according to most isn't ready. Remember what happened when Boyle dared to face wash karl from ott in playoffs? Mcdonagh is our karl/subban. Mcdonagh has been targeted numerous times this yr and it's going to get worse in playoffs, he's going To be pounded. Its frustrating to watch the mcdonagh hit with no response, any other team in the league and its entirely diff response. Hes our best player and we cant do a ******* thing about it.I don't want Mac to come up just to be obligated to face a thug like rosehill. That doesn't solve anything, however, if the refs go into total let em play mode during playoffs we will get pummeled into submission and none of is want to see that, especially from a trash team like Philly.

Our pp can be a huge deterrent if we get decent officiating but we've seen how those corrupt ****s in Toronto conduct business.
I enjoy violence in the NFL, and was therefore rooting for the Seahawks in the SB. But honestly, there are Rangers fans that if they were Niners fans in the 80s would complain how soft they were. THAT'S the difference.

Old
04-02-2014, 10:39 AM
Stasis
Mad Decent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
You're not? Why? That was the proper reaction and he didn't do it. Very disappointing. G should not be captain; ever. His protective instincts are weak. I hope his son can avoid being pushed around cause his dad ain't gonna help him.
Hahaha. Wait, sarcasm right? No?

I need to stop reading these boards other than during live games.

Last edited by Megustaelhockey: 04-02-2014 at 11:14 AM. Reason: flm
Old
04-02-2014, 10:40 AM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

It is now becoming a regular occurrence just look at the last week or so end of games..Simmons slash on McD AND then Staals slash on the hand the other night and last night run at our best player...What about Tavares brutal 2 hander on Hags about a month ago to end the game? All these people saying don't retaliate and turn the other cheek are asking for trouble..We need someone to be in the other teams head to make them at least think twice about chopping us or running us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamipuck View Post
I am sorry, but no matter how the <insert name for people that don't believe in fighting and frontier justice in hockey> here say a nuclear option doesn't make a difference, a nuclear option, does.

Nobody wants a Scott, well most don't. It's a total bs argument a Ranger, that will take an opponents head off if they cheapshot another NYR player won't make a difference. No, they can not prevent every injury from a cheap play, but they do prevent the habitual headhunting.

The next time a Ranger gets hurt by a questionable hit and McIlrath steps up and pummels that guy, yes, the other team will have more respect. I have played for many years and enforcers that can play, on the other team or mine, make a huge difference to the psych and/or mindset of the team.

Again, an enforcer that is a solid player, isn't a cure all, but they sure as hell make a difference.

Old
04-02-2014, 10:44 AM
Mikos87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
One player. And he may never stick in the NHL.

The Rangers have had this issue for most of the history of the franchise.

They don't do tough very well.
No. Even if he's on the bottom pair, he's the type of player that can send a message. I think a roster needs a few guys that can play, and handle their business as well.

This year there is less fighting than ever before, but two times in less than two weeks, the teams most important skater took a cheap shot at the end of the game.

Can't have that. AV is the type of coach who is more inclined to turn the other cheek, but an injury to MacTruck means saying good bye to your chances of winning.

You think that slash by Simmonds wasn't a calculated hit? That guy will do anything to win. Anything. He doesn't give a ****.

Neither does a guy like McIlrath.

Old
04-02-2014, 10:45 AM
Cake or Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Sucks our guy got hurt, but I have zero problem with a guy playing whistle to whistle regardless of time on clock or score.

Looks like McD went into the boards awkwardly but I didn't see an elbow to the dome or anything like that.

Wish we had guys that initiated contact like that regardless of score or time on the clock.

Hope McD is ready to play the next game (would sit him out for precautionary measures).
I saw it about the same way as you did watching the game, as well as from the in game replays. I then watched it frame by frame and as slow as 3 percent speed and it looked a lot different. At that speed I see a guy bring his hands up and lead with his hands to directly drive a players head into the boards. I did not see any elbow and the injury itself was kind of fluke. And it was so bang bang I can't even assume there was any actual attempt to injure. But leading with the hands toward the side of a guy's head when his head is that close to the glass is not cool and not a good check. If he wants to throw a legit, clean hit, why doesn't he just lead with his shoulder?

Old
04-02-2014, 10:47 AM
Haanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Yup. That's just how it goes. If you read this board during Devils games, Martin Brodeur is an average goaltender and they're an AHL-caliber team. People aren't usually objective when evaluating rival teams.
Flyers fan here who posted on this board awhile back that I think the Rangers will win the Cup this year. While none of my Flyer fan friends agree with my Cup prediction, just about every single one of them agrees the Flyers probably won't advance to the second round should they meet the Rangers in the first round. We simply don't match up well against you and McDonagh is one of the few players in the league who can contain Giroux.

I've been reading this board a lot over the past several months and I'm glad to see you all appreciate "Mac Truck" for the top-tier defenseman he is. I appreciate solid defensive play (we have a gem ourselves in Couturier) so McDonagh is one of my favorite players to watch in the entire league. Here's hoping his shoulder injury is nothing too serious.

Old
04-02-2014, 10:49 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikos87 View Post
No. Even if he's on the bottom pair, he's the type of player that can send a message. I think a roster needs a few guys that can play, and handle their business as well.

This year there is less fighting than ever before, but two times in less than two weeks, the teams most important skater took a cheap shot at the end of the game.

Can't have that. AV is the type of coach who is more inclined to turn the other cheek, but an injury to MacTruck means saying good bye to your chances of winning.

You think that slash by Simmonds wasn't a calculated hit? That guy will do anything to win. Anything. He doesn't give a ****.

Neither does a guy like McIlrath.
All things being equal I'd prefer guys that can take care of business. It's when people want to significantly weaken our roster by putting in a guy that can't play in the NHL level yet, just so that he can "deter" dirty hits is when I have a problem. Do you think Simmonds would rather get punched but have our biggest weapon out in a playoff round against them or play it clean and have a much better chance of losing in the 1st round of the playoffs. These are hockey players and Simmonds and Burrows aren't guys that are afraid to get punched. I'm sure Simmonds will care in 30 years that he got punched if he wins a cup in part because McDonagh was injured.

Old
04-02-2014, 10:51 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
I enjoy violence in the NFL, and was therefore rooting for the Seahawks in the SB. But honestly, there are Rangers fans that if they were Niners fans in the 80s would complain how soft they were. THAT'S the difference.
you can't be serious with that comparison.

When the Rangers become as talented as THAT Niners team from the 80's, then we can talk.

The Wings from 07-08 is a much better comparison.

Soft but very talented.

Rangers are Soft AND minimally talented.

Old
04-02-2014, 10:55 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haanz View Post
Flyers fan here who posted on this board awhile back that I think the Rangers will win the Cup this year. While none of my Flyer fan friends agree with my Cup prediction, just about every single one of them agrees the Flyers probably won't advance to the second round should they meet the Rangers in the first round. We simply don't match up well against you and McDonagh is one of the few players in the league who can contain Giroux.

I've been reading this board a lot over the past several months and I'm glad to see you all appreciate "Mac Truck" for the top-tier defenseman he is. I appreciate solid defensive play (we have a gem ourselves in Couturier) so McDonagh is one of my favorite players to watch in the entire league. Here's hoping his shoulder injury is nothing too serious.
Thanks man. I'm incredibly impressed by the Flyers lately. They go toe to toe with the best and lose in skills competitions. I think the Bruins are great but overrated. The Flyers just put up 52 shots on them. We put up 40+ shots on them twice. To me like they're like if you took a truly elite team and put 11-12 Lundqvist on them. Rask is THE difference with that team. I think that if the Flyers play them they could beat them. I think if the Rangers play the Flyers, even healthy, they need home ice. The Flyers are just a different team at home and on the road.

Old
04-02-2014, 10:56 AM
Rust Heisenberg

vCash: 50
Quote:

When the Rangers become as talented as THAT Niners team from the 80's, then we can talk.

Soft but very talented.

Minimally talented?

We have like 7 Olympic players on the team... Top 5 most in the league.

Nash, MSL, McD, Step, Hank, Hags, Zucc.

Richards was on it a few years ago, I believe. Girardi and Staal are no slouches either.

And we have good depth players too in Kreider, Brassard, Poo, and our entire 4th line.

Old
04-02-2014, 10:56 AM
Crazed Beaver

vCash: 844
Quote:
Maybe so but the current situation is frustrating, Mac is a favorite. There is no fix and nobody wants this **** going on. We can all agree on that.

Old
04-02-2014, 10:57 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:

Soft but very talented.

Minimally talented is a huge stretch. But I've seen posts about how people would rather lose with pride. It goes beyond wins and losses is all I'm saying.

Old
04-02-2014, 10:58 AM
Wolfy
The Hobbit Rules!

This is a punch in the face of those who say fighting is stupid and has no meaning.

But if we had an enforcer in the lineup, like I suggested prior to this road trip, we certainly wouldn't see these attacks on McDonagh who is one of our most important players.

But man I have a lot of respect for McDonagh, he battles so hard for the team every night. Give him the C already, he really deserves it.

Old
04-02-2014, 11:00 AM
Devilish Predator

Injury update ?

Old
04-02-2014, 11:03 AM
haveandare

The Bruins are the targets of cheap hits more than almost any other franchise.

Having tough players on the ice doesn't prevent these types of things from happening.

Players reacting to a hit like that satisfies fans' want for revenge and maybe makes the team feel closer and more confident. That's well and good, and I encourage players to stand up for one another for those reasons, but it's not going to prevent those types of hits.

Old
04-02-2014, 11:04 AM
SoftEuro4thLiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
This is a punch in the face of those who say fighting is stupid and has no meaning.

But if we had an enforcer in the lineup, like I suggested prior to this road trip, we certainly wouldn't see these attacks on McDonagh who is one of our most important players.

But man I have a lot of respect for McDonagh, he battles so hard for the team every night. Give him the C already, he really deserves it.
yes, because Marc Savard is still playing too.

Old
McDonaghisGod
Why not us?

It's become apparent that other teams have been taking runs at McD. If this continues it's only a matter of time before he is seriously injured.

Old
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
This is a punch in the face of those who say fighting is stupid and has no meaning. J

There is zero guarantee of that. Burrows is that type of player. He also made a split second decision. I doubt he would have thought about McIlrath if he were here.

Old
04-02-2014, 11:06 AM
SoftEuro4thLiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilish Predator View Post
Injury update ?
Doesn't look like it's going to be serious, McD will travel to Denver, then get re-evaluated. Left GM Place with his arm in a sling. --> no surgery needed, apparently.

Old
04-02-2014, 11:07 AM
SoftEuro4thLiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeetchisGod View Post
It's become apparent that other teams have been taking runs at McD. If this continues it's only a matter of time before he is seriously injured.
Are a slash by Wayne Simmonds and a hit by Alexandre Burrows, both the class of the league, really enough to determine that? Or would have they gone after every other player too?

Old
04-02-2014, 11:11 AM
Crazed Beaver

Quote:
There is zero guarantee of that. Burrows is that type of player. He also made a split second decision. I doubt he would have thought about McIlrath if he were here.
Know way of knowing, players are fully aware of gameplans though. Gameplans which are tailored to other teams deficiencies.....

Old
04-02-2014, 11:12 AM
lbrowne

Someone said that Bieksa came in after the Burrows hit but hid behind refs when Girardi was there? I can't see that being the case beut does anyone have a clip?

Old
04-02-2014, 11:13 AM
Crazed Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftEuro4thLiner View Post
Are a slash by Wayne Simmonds and a hit by Alexandre Burrows, both the class of the league, really enough to determine that? Or would have they gone after every other player too?
Zucc and msl have both received cheap shots in last few games. Msl elbowed in head by hartnell with no call.

Old
04-02-2014, 11:17 AM
broadwayblue

No way, McD isn't out for the season like so many were assuming last night? lol

Closed Thread