HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Relationship between NHL and ESPN ends (all OLN discussions)

Closed Thread

Old
08-17-2005, 11:35 PM
Balej20*

vCash: 500
Relationship between NHL and ESPN ends

Oh well..never liked ESPN's coverage of hockey anyway. Good riddance.

NEW YORK (AP) - ESPN turned down what it said was the NHL's final offer for U.S. cable broadcast rights Wednesday night, meaning it's likely that hockey games will air elsewhere on cable this season.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=133834

Old
08-18-2005, 06:36 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
OLN, best known for providing live coverage of the Tour de France, will show between 58 and 78 regular-season games, as well as conference quarter-finals and the entire conference finals - with the exception of some weekend windows that could move games to NBC in both playoff rounds.

OLN will show Games 1 and 2 of the Stanley Cup final before NBC takes over for the remainder of the series.
Bad news for those without OLN, which seems like most of us. If I recall, Center Ice doesn't carry any playoff games.

Old
08-18-2005, 06:38 AM
shoothepuck

Oh well.. says it best. Maybe now they can spend 24-hours a day reporting the Terrell Owens crap.

Old
08-18-2005, 06:47 AM
Potted Plant

Send a message via AIM to Potted Plant
I don't think I get OLN. If I do, I haven't noticed it before.

Edit: I can get it, but I have to upgrade my cable package to the higher end one. I'll have to think about it.

Old
08-18-2005, 07:46 AM
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
Bad news for those without OLN, which seems like most of us. If I recall, Center Ice doesn't carry any playoff games.
Center Ice typically carried games in the first and I think second round.

Old
08-18-2005, 08:05 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlyRegardedRookie
I can get it, but I have to upgrade my cable package to the higher end one. I'll have to think about it.
The question is, how much is the upgrade? Center Ice @ $150 breaks down to $18.75 per month. (assuming they still carry games through the second round. Thanks Fish. ) If your package upgrade is even close to that amount, you're better off just ordering Center Ice and getting every game.

I'm a Cablevision customer. I assume I don't have OLN because it's the entity of a competing operator. Do the Dolan's now add it to my service for the good of hockey fans, or do they continue to play hardball with Comcast at our expense?

Old
08-18-2005, 08:21 AM
patnyrnyg

The Dolans? If they were willing to go a year without the Yankees, they won't care about the NHL fans.

Old
08-18-2005, 08:25 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Great move by Bettman. We all thought a tv contract was dead during the lockout but the league ended up with a BETTER deal.

Old
08-18-2005, 08:27 AM
bubba5

Well im a comcast customer, so im happy, but we also do not get the Metro Channel so I miss many Rangers games. I would rather have Metro than OLN.

Old
08-18-2005, 08:28 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
Great move by Bettman. We all thought a tv contract was dead during the lockout but the league ended up with a BETTER deal.
How is being broadcast in 1/10 of the households you used to be in BETTER?

Old
08-18-2005, 08:31 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg
The Dolans? If they were willing to go a year without the Yankees, they won't care about the NHL fans.
When the Rangers get their first OLN exclusive, I'll be looking forward to the Dolan's explanation of why we can't watch their team on their service.

Old
08-18-2005, 08:32 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
How is being broadcast in 1/10 of the households you used to be in BETTER?
look at the money involved. The NHL is finally going to be on a network that will promote the game. Even if it takes a year for OLN to end up on basic or expanded (not digital) cable its still a good move. What network do you think the nhl should end up on? What other network was willing to give the NHL this amount of money? If OLN ends up with an NFL package the cross promotion could only help hockey.

Old
08-18-2005, 08:41 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
The NHL is finally going to be on a network that will promote the game.
Promote it to who? Fans of bicycle racing?
Quote:
Even if it takes a year for OLN to end up on basic or expanded (not digital) cable its still a good move.
A year? FOX purchased Speedvision in Feb 2004 and rebranded it as NASCAR TV to gain leverage with cable operators. Even with 10+ hours of daily programming of "America's fastest growing sport", Speed TV is still not part of basic in many major markets and was actually dropped from my parent's service in the suburbs of Boston.

Quote:
What other network was willing to give the NHL this amount of money?
I don't know, but to me, a sport that hasn't been seen in 18 months should be more concerend about exposure and not get breedy with the contract.

Old
08-18-2005, 08:45 AM
nrf83

Quote:
When the Rangers get their first OLN exclusive, I'll be looking forward to the Dolan's explanation of why we can't watch their team on their service.
When I read this thread 2 thoughts immediately hit me. 1) If we had Crosby, 40% of our games would be OLN and we couldn't watch them(still would kill for Sidney), 2) get set to watch Pitt at least 40% of games.

Old
08-18-2005, 08:50 AM
Fletch

Great move by Bettman?

it brings in more dollars, yes, but possibly alienates millions of fans from seeing games on ESPN, as well as games at bars, which reduces viewership and interest. Of course, as with the lockout, it's the fans who get screwed, and honestly, this is not how you build loyalty and increase a fanbase. You spend money to get those with most companies; they went with the dollars.

Old
08-18-2005, 08:56 AM
patnyrnyg

Did it say how many games would be OLN exclusives? You do not know if that is part of the deal or not. The ESPN exclusive was something recent and considering that OLN is not available or not part of most basic services ala ESPN, I dont think we'll see too many ESPN exclusives.

Old
08-18-2005, 09:03 AM
Fletch

I do get...

OLN...of course my bill with Time Warner exceeds $200 per month, so I better get OLN...channel 122, here I come...

Old
08-18-2005, 09:15 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Party at Fletch's house!

Old
08-18-2005, 09:22 AM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Quote:
sure, better for the owners pockets, not for the game...asking ESPN to put games on for free is better for the league than this...i have to buy this network for $5 a month I hear...and it'll be on channel 408. great news. Also if you don't have digital cable your **** out of luck.

Old
08-18-2005, 09:23 AM
Original6

Quote:
I don't know, but to me, a sport that hasn't been seen in 18 months should be more concerend about exposure and not get breedy with the contract.
The sport has been seen it's the league that hasn't. Anything is better than ESPN, trust me I seen their coverage here in canada they are so disgraceful. At first I wanted to watch ESPN's feed because it was more clear than my analog cable feed of CBC, but it sucked so much I chose fuzzy lines over that suckage. After seeing that I'd think you guys would be happy that someone took the rights from ESPN.

Old
08-18-2005, 09:29 AM
natureboy*

Espn blows I'm glad they left there. I wish there was another sports network so I could watch sports news. I cannot put that network on anymore.

Old
08-18-2005, 09:35 AM
Fletch

Anything's not better than ESPN...

it's best to get a chance to be seen by as many eyeballs as possible. ESPN affords that. Understandably, many of the ESPN analysts suck. Unfortunately, by and large, most hockey announcers and analysts aren't too great. I can't imagine that OLN would be much better, unfortunately.

And in the US...the sport has not been seen en masse in nearly 18 months. We had spotty 'local' broadcasts of AHL product, but most people missed out on hockey here.

Old
08-18-2005, 09:46 AM
True Blue

Even Bettman's staunchest supporters cannot put a spin on this

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHockey
Anything is better than ESPN

After seeing that I'd think you guys would be happy that someone took the rights from ESPN.
This is NOT good news. The only people that are making out here are the owners, as they are the only ones profiting from this. This is a MAJOR setback for the league. After taking a whole year off, not to have a major network television contract is an utter disaster. I'm not going to go into the viewership reasons, as they issues with OLN is already documented above. But, one CANNOT just turn a blind eye to this and think that every thing is just peaches and cream. The NHL has a very small fanbase to begin with. It gets destroyed in ratings by things like poker and bowling. Not to have a major national outlet is a disaster. I'm sure that Bettman's spin machine will be out in full force. But all that has happened here is that the owners made money. That's it.
Not being able to market your sport on a major network is not too good.

Old
08-18-2005, 09:47 AM
Potted Plant

Quote:
The question is, how much is the upgrade?
Well, it would be an additional $10 per month, and would add exactly two channels that I care about, OLN and Boomerang (I'm an animation fan). At the risk of getting personal, $10 is not a lot of money, but I've been getting nickeled and dimed to death recently. My wife and I added Tivo and DSL to our lives in the last 2 weeks. She's an attorney for the indigent, and my job is hanging by a thread. Plus, she's not a hockey fan, so me watching hockey twice a week would be even more time we're not spending together (we've been married only a year). I have a lot of things to consider in this.

Old
08-18-2005, 09:50 AM
Potted Plant

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
This is NOT good news.
I think it COULD work out to the NHL's benefit. It won't necessarily work out, but it might. Frankly, hockey was dead at ESPN. It wasn't getting enough air time, and was falling behind poker. Now it's on a network where it is the centerpiece of their programming. If that network can get more subscribers out of it, hockey can get more exposure. Both parties will be helped.

However, if OLN continues to flounder, it's bad news for hockey. No question.

Closed Thread