HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jake McCabe signs 3-year ELC

Old
04-02-2014, 01:01 PM
vcv
Deal with it

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to vcv
Jake McCabe signs 3-year ELC

Quote:
Originally Posted by @SabresPR
The Buffalo Sabres have signed defenseman Jake McCabe to a three-year, entry-level contract.
source: https://twitter.com/SabresPR/status/451418710495211521

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 01:05 PM
EichHart

Awesome! Judging from Murrays interview he is going to be play for the Sabres for the last 7 games?

EichHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 01:06 PM
26CornerBlitz

vCash: 500
SABRES SIGN DEFENSEMAN JAKE McCABE

Quote:
BUFFALO, N.Y. (April 2, 2014) --- The Buffalo Sabres today announced the team has signed defenseman Jake McCabe to a three-year, entry-level contract.

McCabe (6'0", 195 lbs., 10/12/93) recently completed his junior season with the University of Wisconsin (Big Ten), earning first-team All-Big Ten honors by registering a career-high 25 points (8+17) through 33 games and serving as the team’s assistant captain in 2013-14. His point total was fifth-best for the Badgers, who captured the Big Ten conference tournament championship, and fourth-best among defensemen in the Big Ten. In 2013, he served as captain of Team USA at the IIHF World Junior Championship in Ufa, Russia, where the United States took home the gold medal.

The Eau Claire, Wis. native was selected by the Sabres in the second round (44th overall) of the 2012 NHL Entry Draft. Prior to his collegiate career, McCabe played two seasons with the U17 and U18 U.S. National Development Teams (USHL), appearing in 54 games and collecting 11 points (2+9).

26CornerBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 01:08 PM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Just as an FYI in this thread...there is no sliding of the contract. He steps on the ice this year in AHL or NHL, a year is gone.

(And it has to be 3 years because of his age)

TakeThatTootoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 01:14 PM
Jim Bob
I like Big Botts

Since 4 & 19 are taken, will he go with 92?

Jim Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 01:14 PM
jvirk

Can someone give me a quick synopsis of what kind of player he can be compared too if he reaches his potential? I know he's young but what are his strengths vs. weaknesses?

I think with all the hype surrounding Zadorov, Ristolainen, and for me personally Mark Pysyk, I haven't watched much of him at all (school time takes over too :/ lol)

jvirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 01:17 PM
couture23

Sexy.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 01:19 PM
MayDayMayDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvirk View Post
Can someone give me a quick synopsis of what kind of player he can be compared too if he reaches his potential? I know he's young but what are his strengths vs. weaknesses?

I think with all the hype surrounding Zadorov, Ristolainen, and for me personally Mark Pysyk, I haven't watched much of him at all (school time takes over too :/ lol)
http://www.amerks.com/newsX.asp?type=News&aID=557

The 18-year-old from Eau Claire, Wisconsin, describes himself as a steady defender, comparing his game to Dan Girardi of the New York Rangers.

“I’m a two-way defenseman. I’m used in all situations; I’m comfortable in all situations. I think I’m a leader, out there blocking shots for my teammates. I’m a competitor, at my best when I’m making a good first hit. I just want to be reliable in all situations, penalty kill, power play. Eventually I want to be comfortable taking on a team’s top line.”

DEVINE SAYS: “We actually McCabe rated at the end of the first round. We weren’t sure if we were going to get a forward or defense, but he was too high up on our board. He played for (Rochester head coach) Ron Rolston before, so we know about his character.”

EDIT: Watching him on BTN all year, this is pretty much exactly what I've seen. He's big time, big moment player. Only time you ever hear his name is when he's making a great play, don't think I've ever seen him make a mistake.

MayDayMayDay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 01:21 PM
ZeroPT*

****ing right

ZeroPT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 01:21 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvirk View Post

He's a Hammer/Girardi type. Doesn't really excel in any one particular area.....but also has no glaring weakness other than the occasional brain fart.

He's also quite similar to Pysyk.....but McCabe will initiate physically.

Zman5778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 01:22 PM
SabresBillsBuffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeThatTootoo View Post
Just as an FYI in this thread...there is no sliding of the contract. He steps on the ice this year in AHL or NHL, a year is gone.

Why'd we bother then? Wastes a year

SabresBillsBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 01:24 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresBillsBuffalo View Post
The year is either going to get wasted this year or next year.

Zman5778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 01:25 PM
dotcommunism

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeThatTootoo View Post

Not entirely true. I believe that if his ELC starts this season (which it would have to for him to play in the NHL), then he is not eligible for loan to the AHL. He can play in the AHL with an ELC that starts next season, however, if he signs an ATO with Rochester (in which case his ELC would start next season and still run for three years).

That said, based on what we've heard so far, it seems as if it will be an ELC that starts this season. In that case, if he plays a game this season, it counts as one of his 3 years of waiver exemption. He would still be waiver exempt until he's played 160 games or the 2016 offseason, whichever comes first. He'll also be UFA eligible in 2021.

dotcommunism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 01:29 PM
La Cosa Nostra
Caporegime

vCash: 720
Didn't Murray say he would likely be in Buffalo and not Rochester? Does he play Thursday?

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 01:31 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Quote:
Otherwise the team risks him going back to Wisconsin and possibly not signing next year, opting instead to go UFA.

Old
04-02-2014, 01:32 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Ristolainen is up on emergency recall and McCabe is traveling with the team. Almost a guarantee Risto goes back down and McCabe plays.

Also, holy crap, McCabe looks like a 10-year vet:

Old
04-02-2014, 01:34 PM
Zip15

vCash: 205
Quote:
Probably the quid pro quo for his agreement to turn pro. McCabe turns pro, gets some NHL coin in his pocket, and kills Year 1 of his ELC. Maybe they didn't want him to go back to Wisconsin and then flirt with disaster--i.e., having him refuse to sign, thereby making him a UFA--next spring/summer. Also, I don't care much one way or another. We have an owner willing to spend to the cap. They'll figure it out down the road when that bridge has to be crossed.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 01:35 PM
26CornerBlitz

@kevinoDandC

By joining the #Sabres and playing now, 2013-14 becomes Year 1 of Jake McCabe's 3-year entry level contract.

26CornerBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 01:35 PM
Jim Bob
I like Big Botts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
Also, holy crap, McCabe looks like a 10-year vet:
He needs to get rid of that red tape.

Old
04-02-2014, 01:36 PM
"Craigs on it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsJimBob View Post
He needs to get rid of that red tape.

That's from development camp

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 01:37 PM
Jim Bob
I like Big Botts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Probably the quid pro quo for his agreement to turn pro. McCabe turns pro, gets some NHL coin in his pocket, and kills Year 1 of his ELC. Maybe they didn't want him to go back to Wisconsin and then flirt with disaster--i.e., having him refuse to sign, thereby making him a UFA--next spring/summer. Also, I don't care much one way or another. We have an owner willing to spend to the cap. They'll figure it out down the road when that bridge has to be crossed.
Exactly.

I have no problem with either side doing that.

Just like Rudy last year.

Old
04-02-2014, 01:40 PM
Tapu Coco
fka coconut head

Awesome. Excited to see him play, he can't be worse than weber and certainly not Sulzer at this point. And now we have another option on defense instead of John scott. But of course this isn't a short-term signing

Tapu Coco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 01:43 PM
"Craigs on it"

Not very often a team has a 20 year old and two 18 year old D that are physically ready for the NHL.

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 01:43 PM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotcommunism View Post
Not entirely true. I believe that if his ELC starts this season (which it would have to for him to play in the NHL), then he is not eligible for loan to the AHL. He can play in the AHL with an ELC that starts next season, however, if he signs an ATO with Rochester (in which case his ELC would start next season and still run for three years).

That said, based on what we've heard so far, it seems as if it will be an ELC that starts this season. In that case, if he plays a game this season, it counts as one of his 3 years of waiver exemption. He would still be waiver exempt until he's played 160 games or the 2016 offseason, whichever comes first. He'll also be UFA eligible in 2021.
You sure? Its a standard 3 year ELC 2 way. The CBA is muddy on this.

Is it because of roster/playoff locks in the AHL? It can't be because of the contract.

Sure, we can sign him to an AHL ATO, but then we're leaving next year in the air anyway.

Last edited by TakeThatTootoo: 04-02-2014 at 01:53 PM.
TakeThatTootoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 01:45 PM
Tapu Coco
fka coconut head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Agreed. To add to this, as pointed out earlier he has to sign for 3 years due to age...college ELCs for older players are 1-2 years, and I'd assume McCabe would fall into this age range by this time next year if we had put off on signing him

Essentially, he's signing a 2 year contract either way, since this year is a wash. Better to start the 2 years now rather than next year, when there's the distinct possibility of him pulling a Justin Schultz

Last edited by Tapu Coco: 04-02-2014 at 01:53 PM.
Tapu Coco is offline   Reply With Quote