HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jake McCabe signs 3-year ELC

Old
04-02-2014, 03:32 PM
dotcommunism

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbler View Post
Is his contract pro rated, or does he receive the full season's pay for playing 7 games?
Receives full signing bonus, I believe, paragraph 1 salary is prorated.

dotcommunism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 03:45 PM
dotcommunism

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeThatTootoo View Post
You sure? Its a standard 3 year ELC 2 way. The CBA is muddy on this.

Is it because of roster/playoff locks in the AHL? It can't be because of the contract.

Sure, we can sign him to an AHL ATO, but then we're leaving next year in the air anyway.
If he had signed an AHL ATO, it would've been done in conjunction with an ELC that commences next season.

Regarding McCabe's ability to be sent to Rochester we have this from the CBA:

13.12(j) A Player may be Loaned to a club of any league affiliated with the League at any time up to 3:00 p.m. New York time of the fortieth (40th) day immediately preceding the final day of the Regular Season (the "Trade Deadline"). Following this period, no Player may be Loaned, except that:
(i) a Player who has been Recalled during such restricted period under Article 13.12(l), 13.12(m), or 13.12(n) may be Loaned back to the member club of the affiliated league from which they were Recalled;
(ii) a Player who is on the Bona-Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception, or who has been unfit for 24 calendar days and ten (10) NHL Regular Season games, may be Loaned on a Bona-Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception Conditioning Loan (with the Player's consent) pursuant to Section 13.9 above for a period not to exceed the longer of six (6) days and three (3) games (which Loan is not subject to any extension), provided, however, if the Player is not on the Bona-Fide Long Term Injury/Illness Exception, he cannot be Loaned while he is on Injured Reserve; and
(iii) a Player may be Loaned (with the Player's consent) provided such Player (a) was on Recall and was determined to be disabled as of the Trade Deadline, (b) is determined to be fit to play prior to such Loan, and (c) was on the Active Roster for less than twenty-five percent (25%) of the period from the beginning of the Regular Season up to and including the date on which he was determined to be disabled.

This implies that a player who is not under contract at the trade deadline is not eligible for loan as he does not fit into any of the above categories.

As for McCabe's age for waiver purposes, the CBA is actually kind of vague about this. From article 13.4:

2. For purposes of this Article, "age 18" means a Player reaching his eighteenth birthday between January 1 next preceding the Entry Draft and September 15 next following the Entry Draft, both dates included; "age 19" means a Player reaching his nineteenth birthday in the calendar year of the Entry Draft; "age 20" means a Player reaching his twentieth birthday in the calendar year of the Entry Draft; and "age 21" means a Player reaching his twenty-first birthday in the calendar year of the Entry Draft.

The issue is which Entry Draft is this article referring to. However, if we assume it is the Entry Draft during the league year in which the SPC is signed (or starts), we run into a problem. The Entry Draft occurs towards the end of the league year (which runs form July 1 to June 30). If it meant the Entry Draft of the league year in which the contract commences then there would literally be no such thing as an "age 18" player for waiver purposes. Therefore, we can conclude that the interpretation is probably incorrect.

The interpretation which Capgeek uses (as far as I can tell) is the Entry Draft preceding the season in which the contract starts. Absent any more concrete wording, this interpretation is as good as any, so based on that interpretation McCabe would be 20 for waiver purposes.

dotcommunism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 03:51 PM
gallagt01

In dressing McCabe, does Buffalo break the record for most players used in one NHL season?

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 04:00 PM
CreemoreSprings
lot 9

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallagt01 View Post
In dressing McCabe, does Buffalo break the record for most players used in one NHL season?
Idk, but I think it assures a dressing-rookies in 1 season record.

CreemoreSprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 04:05 PM
start winnin
NO MORE TANK BOYS

Sweet deal, I hope he plays tomorrow.

start winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 04:34 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 54
Jake McCabe ‏@McCabe19 3m
Thank you everyone for the overwhelming support! Want to also thank UW for the best 3 years of my life, very excited for this opportunity!

Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 04:57 PM
Ness
Your favorite thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallagt01 View Post
I read somewhere that Pittsburgh has iced the most players this year. Can't remember where I saw that.

Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 05:10 PM
Cirris

Send a message via Yahoo to Cirris

Cirris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 05:30 PM
Mike203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Edwards View Post
You beat me to it, though I was going to speak more generally than just one game. He's far from a perfect D-man at this point, and has made many poor decisions on the ice this year. But that said, he plays an excellent overall game, can provide that big entry-zone hit, can play in all situations, and is a leader. Those intangibles, like leadership and a strong desire to get better, are the biggest things with him. I like him, particularly the intangibles, and I think he can develop into a strong defenseman, but he definitely has some work to do.
In 2-3 years he "only" has to be a good top 6 dman. We have Ehrhoff and Zads ahead of him on the depth chart. Hopefully he turns into a top 4 dman in 4-5 years when Ehrhoff moves to the bottom 6 and Zads into top 2.

Mike203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 06:02 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike203 View Post
In 2-3 years he "only" has to be a good top 6 dman. We have Ehrhoff and Zads ahead of him on the depth chart. Hopefully he turns into a top 4 dman in 4-5 years when Ehrhoff moves to the bottom 6 and Zads into top 2.
McCabe is much more likely to hit his developmental ceiling much more quickly than 4-5 years.

One can argue that it'll take McCabe 2-3 years while it takes Zadorov 4-5 years......

Zman5778 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 06:23 PM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotcommunism View Post
If he had signed an AHL ATO, it would've been done in conjunction with an ELC that commences next season.

Regarding McCabe's ability to be sent to Rochester we have this from the CBA:

13.12(j) A Player may be Loaned to a club of any league affiliated with the League at any time up to 3:00 p.m. New York time of the fortieth (40th) day immediately preceding the final day of the Regular Season (the "Trade Deadline"). Following this period, no Player may be Loaned, except that:
(i) a Player who has been Recalled during such restricted period under Article 13.12(l), 13.12(m), or 13.12(n) may be Loaned back to the member club of the affiliated league from which they were Recalled;
(ii) a Player who is on the Bona-Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception, or who has been unfit for 24 calendar days and ten (10) NHL Regular Season games, may be Loaned on a Bona-Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception Conditioning Loan (with the Player's consent) pursuant to Section 13.9 above for a period not to exceed the longer of six (6) days and three (3) games (which Loan is not subject to any extension), provided, however, if the Player is not on the Bona-Fide Long Term Injury/Illness Exception, he cannot be Loaned while he is on Injured Reserve; and
(iii) a Player may be Loaned (with the Player's consent) provided such Player (a) was on Recall and was determined to be disabled as of the Trade Deadline, (b) is determined to be fit to play prior to such Loan, and (c) was on the Active Roster for less than twenty-five percent (25%) of the period from the beginning of the Regular Season up to and including the date on which he was determined to be disabled.

This implies that a player who is not under contract at the trade deadline is not eligible for loan as he does not fit into any of the above categories.

As for McCabe's age for waiver purposes, the CBA is actually kind of vague about this. From article 13.4:

2. For purposes of this Article, "age 18" means a Player reaching his eighteenth birthday between January 1 next preceding the Entry Draft and September 15 next following the Entry Draft, both dates included; "age 19" means a Player reaching his nineteenth birthday in the calendar year of the Entry Draft; "age 20" means a Player reaching his twentieth birthday in the calendar year of the Entry Draft; and "age 21" means a Player reaching his twenty-first birthday in the calendar year of the Entry Draft.

The issue is which Entry Draft is this article referring to. However, if we assume it is the Entry Draft during the league year in which the SPC is signed (or starts), we run into a problem. The Entry Draft occurs towards the end of the league year (which runs form July 1 to June 30). If it meant the Entry Draft of the league year in which the contract commences then there would literally be no such thing as an "age 18" player for waiver purposes. Therefore, we can conclude that the interpretation is probably incorrect.

The interpretation which Capgeek uses (as far as I can tell) is the Entry Draft preceding the season in which the contract starts. Absent any more concrete wording, this interpretation is as good as any, so based on that interpretation McCabe would be 20 for waiver purposes.
Sounds like 20 for both EL/FA and waiver then. That's what I was thinking.

TakeThatTootoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 06:44 PM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

$925k/$70k for McCabe

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/...year-deal.html

TakeThatTootoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 07:17 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeThatTootoo View Post
How much signing bonus was it?

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 07:50 PM
B U F F A L O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
How much signing bonus was it?
I'm sure it was the max $92,500 that everyone else gets.

B U F F A L O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 08:01 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Remember all the guff they got for taking this kid? He's turned heads and shifted opinions by his actions on the ice.

04-02-2014, 08:44 PM
26CornerBlitz

@Hockeyequipmgr

Jake McCabe will wear #29. #welcometothenhl

26CornerBlitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 08:45 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Moody View Post
I read somewhere that Pittsburgh has iced the most players this year. Can't remember where I saw that.
Nope. Sabres have iced 38 skaters + 5 goalies this year = 43. Soon to be 44 with McCabe. I believe that is a franchise record.

Pittsburgh has iced 36 skaters + 2 goalies = 38.

I can't find the all-time record.

dire wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 08:56 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 26CornerBlitz View Post
@Hockeyequipmgr

that should be retired for Pominville !!1!

BUCKSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 08:59 PM
26CornerBlitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCKSHOT View Post
that should be retired for Pominville !!1!
Really?!? Pominville is an all time Sabres' great? Not even close! What exactly did he accomplish to deserve #29 being hung in FNC in his honor? Nothing IMO!

Old
04-02-2014, 09:01 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 54
Quote:
@Hockeyequipmgr

Cue the change your Pominville nameplate promotion.

Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 09:15 PM
Ness
Your favorite thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
Nope. Sabres have iced 38 skaters + 5 goalies this year = 43. Soon to be 44 with McCabe. I believe that is a franchise record.

Pittsburgh has iced 36 skaters + 2 goalies = 38.

I can't find the all-time record.
Ah I see. Maybe it was man-games lost I was thinking of.

Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 10:26 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Really?!? Pominville is an all time Sabres' great? Not even close! What exactly did he accomplish to deserve #29 being hung in FNC in his honor? Nothing IMO!
I think he was joking....

Congrats to McCabe

Looking forward to seeing him develop

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 10:29 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Remember all the guff they got for taking this kid? He's turned heads and shifted opinions by his actions on the ice.
But... but Dalton Thrower

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 10:30 PM
26CornerBlitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
I think he was joking....
If so, then he sure got me.

Old
04-02-2014, 11:16 PM
SabreOil

Congats to McCabe!

But whats with all our new players taking over our old players numbers pretty instantly?
Maybe i'm just really used to the old core still but
vanek by moulson
roy by ott
goose by girgs
Pomminville by McCabe
I was surprised neuvirth didn't take #30

I'm probably the only one that has a problem with this haha

SabreOil is offline   Reply With Quote