HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers-Flames Gameday Thread Oct.2/03

Closed Thread

Old
10-02-2003, 06:38 PM
Mr Sakich

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
Thor dyck. It always cracks me up every time I see your name. It's made even more funny because it has a real story behind it.
used to be a guy in the calgary phone book called heung lo. I can't wait until one of my daughters introduces me to her new boyfriend "hung low"

Old
10-02-2003, 06:39 PM
TheBrew

vCash: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
That's it kids

7-4 final

3 stars....

3 - Chimera - 2 Goals - Could have just earned himself a top 6 job...
2 - York - 3 assists - him between Smyth and Hemksy will rule
1 - Hemksy - 1 goal 3 assists - apparently he dominated - everywhere...
Hey we sould try a Chimera-York-Hemsky line could be something special

Old
zoidberg

Bloody McLennan. SO cut.

Old
Lowetide

Here's hoping the veterans who didn't play tonight can draw in on Saturday. Add Smyth, Brewer and the others to this group and it should be fun.

Old
10-02-2003, 06:41 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrew
Gesssh i thought Torres was a Fighter not a Scorer but i guess you cant fight and score in the same game :p
Torres has always been a physical player and an agitator, but never a fighter. He's probably great at chucking the knuckles in street clothes, but strap a pair of skates on him and he becomes a speedbag.

Old
10-02-2003, 06:42 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
Thor dyck. It always cracks me up every time I see your name. It's made even more funny because it has a real story behind it.
It's not nice to tease us like that?

Old
10-02-2003, 06:45 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
That's it kids

7-4 final

3 stars....

3 - Chimera - 2 Goals - Could have just earned himself a top 6 job...
2 - York - 3 assists - him between Smyth and Hemksy will rule
1 - Hemksy - 1 goal 3 assists - apparently he dominated - everywhere...
Yikes. Hemsky played like a champ.
11 special teams goals.
ever seen a game like this?

Old
10-02-2003, 06:45 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Zoidberg
Bloody McLennan. SO cut.
I was peeking in on calgarypuck.com every so often just to guage the mood...

Holy smokes, the posters there were cutting McLennan to pieces, I was laughing pretty hard. Poor guy.

Best quote (when the 3rd period was starting): "Is McLennan in net, or is he still standing beside it?"

Old
10-02-2003, 06:48 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDragoon
I'll let thor dyck tell the story, but apparently he got the name from an actual person. He saw a paper written by someone with that name as I recall (now watch, thor will come by and say "what the hell are you talking about lowetide?")

Old
10-02-2003, 06:51 PM
Digger12

You know it was a screwy game when there are 11 total goals scored, and nobody from either team is higher than a +1 or lower than a -1.

I never thought I'd see the Oilers score 6 PP goals in my LIFE.

Old
10-02-2003, 06:55 PM
Mr Sakich

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDragoon

Thor Dyck is the actual name of a guy I met. His real name is Thorval Dyck but he refers to himself as Thor. A buddy of mine has one of his business cards.

My real name is Mr. Sakich

Old
10-02-2003, 06:55 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:

Hmmm and Isbister Smyth Dvorak other line - could work....

I promise Chimera can score 20-25 with Hemsky and York passing to him...

Old
10-02-2003, 07:00 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor dyck
Thor Dyck is the actual name of a guy I met. His real name is Thorval Dyck but he refers to himself as Thor. A buddy of mine has one of his business cards.

My real name is Mr. Sakich

Old
10-02-2003, 07:03 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
MacT said something like - there's no accounting for chemistry - and we'll see them together on Saturday.

Old
10-02-2003, 07:17 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Game Report Time:

FWD

Raffi Torres: good game, finally, still didn't like the elbow he threw, nasty stuff. Bring it consistently Raffi, and don't take 5'ers, then you can play on this team.

Jason Chimera: VERY solid. Impressive stuff.

Mike York: Also excellent. Though I think he can do even better.

Peter Sarno: Congrats, I think ya just made the team Pete. GREAT game from this guy. Carried the puck up ice all night, wants to shoot from the point on the PP, very nice slapper goal.

Jarret Stoll: If he'd have finished his chances tonight, he gets alot more credit in this one, played a solid game, kinda stuck with iffy linemates at times, but this guy's gonna be a good one. Just not on opening night.

Jani Rita: CUT, you are CUT Jani. BRUTAL. How do you play badly in a 7-4 hockey game, C'MON!

Tony Salmelainen: Solid, nothing special, but was stuck with Rita. Wheeling all night long.

Others: Decent games all around pretty much on forward.

Ales Hemsky: Ales, you are the next superstar in this league, PERIOD. It's absolutely scary how many points he coulda had, and how easy he made it look tonight. Goalies are gonna see this guy in their nightmares.

D

Alex Semenov: Not a good game at all tonight from Alex, took penalties, out of position, it's only preseason though, nothing to worry about.

Steve Staios: Steady Steve. Nice hip-check.

Ferguson: blech

Cross: Not good, not bad. Still a little slower than he needs to be.

Bobby Allen: Could tell he was out of his groove.

Mikko Luoma: Seriously, you're even more cut than Jani Rita. That game wasn't ugly from you, it was fugly.

G

Ty Conklin: Good game from Ty, had some weird goals go in on him, but some solid play for the most part. Raffi's 5'er changed the momentum and kept this from being a 7-2...8-2....9-2 kinda game.

Stephen Valiquette: WOW, what a game! I mean, opening the gate, sittin on the bench, talkin to the players, all with your mask off! WOW!

AND, my theory on McLennan: I was gonna say he blew this game on purpose not to get taken in the waiver draft, but naw, he just got ripped apart tonight.

Old
10-02-2003, 07:20 PM
TheBrew

vCash: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Raffi Torres: good game, finally, still didn't like the elbow he threw, nasty stuff. Bring it consistently Raffi, and don't take 5'ers, then you can play on this team.
That is what i think the Oilers have been missing all these year's although it did kinda stopped the momentum but he made up with his goal scoring tonight.

Old
10-02-2003, 07:22 PM
Mr Sakich

one thing about torres, when was the last time an oiler would take a 5 minute major for elbowing when we are up 6-0? When you are up like that, laraque should pick a fight with iginla or turek.

Torres is a keeper !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
10-02-2003, 07:26 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

The ability to throw illegal elbows and take 5-minute majors, and get yourself suspended if it happens to be a good player on the end of that elbow, is certainly not what the Oilers need. They may have been missing it, but that's a good thing. We don't need the dirty stuff Raffi, just play consistent hockey and don't bobble around with the puck as much as you normally do.

Old
10-02-2003, 07:48 PM
Mr Sakich

but isn't that what an agitator does - he agitates. He creates a desire for the other team to take bad penalties.

as an example, game tied, late in the third, oilers vs avalanche - I would have no problem if an oiler took a real dirty peanlty vs forsberg as long as forsberg wasn't hurt long term, just for a day or two.

Torres incites hatred.

Old
10-02-2003, 07:49 PM
hockeyaddict101

You and I agree completely tonight

Quote:
Game Report Time:

FWD

Jason Chimera: VERY solid. Impressive stuff.

Mike York: Also excellent. Though I think he can do even better.

Peter Sarno: Congrats, I think ya just made the team Pete. GREAT game from this guy. Carried the puck up ice all night, wants to shoot from the point on the PP, very nice slapper goal.

Jarret Stoll: If he'd have finished his chances tonight, he gets alot more credit in this one, played a solid game, kinda stuck with iffy linemates at times, but this guy's gonna be a good one. Just not on opening night.

Jani Rita: CUT, you are CUT Jani. BRUTAL. How do you play badly in a 7-4 hockey game, C'MON!

Tony Salmelainen: Solid, nothing special, but was stuck with Rita. Wheeling all night long.

Others: Decent games all around pretty much on forward.

Ales Hemsky: Ales, you are the next superstar in this league, PERIOD. It's absolutely scary how many points he coulda had, and how easy he made it look tonight. Goalies are gonna see this guy in their nightmares.

D

Alex Semenov: Not a good game at all tonight from Alex, took penalties, out of position, it's only preseason though, nothing to worry about.

Steve Staios: Steady Steve. Nice hip-check.

Ferguson: blech

Cross: Not good, not bad. Still a little slower than he needs to be.

Bobby Allen: Could tell he was out of his groove.

Mikko Luoma: Seriously, you're even more cut than Jani Rita. That game wasn't ugly from you, it was fugly.

G

Ty Conklin: Good game from Ty, had some weird goals go in on him, but some solid play for the most part. Raffi's 5'er changed the momentum and kept this from being a 7-2...8-2....9-2 kinda game.

Stephen Valiquette: WOW, what a game! I mean, opening the gate, sittin on the bench, talkin to the players, all with your mask off! WOW!

AND, my theory on McLennan: I was gonna say he blew this game on purpose not to get taken in the waiver draft, but naw, he just got ripped apart tonight.
We agree on everything tonight. The only concern I have is Conklin's rebounds, none of them went into the corner. Always back towards centre.

Old
10-02-2003, 07:53 PM
mamettt

I agree with Thor Dyck. Torres is exactly the kind of player we need, and if he needs to go over the line sometime to agitate and intimidate, than so be it. When was the last time an oiler scored 2 goals, had a fight, and laid out one of the oppositions best forwards? This is exactly why Lowe loves Torres, and why he will be a great forward for this team soon.

Old
10-02-2003, 07:57 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
We agree on everything tonight. The only concern I have is Conklin's rebounds, none of them went into the corner. Always back towards centre.
Ever since I have seen him that has always been a problem. Hopefully he can get that under control. He has good reflexes and great positioning but those rebounds.....

Old
10-02-2003, 08:02 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
The ability to throw illegal elbows and take 5-minute majors, and get yourself suspended if it happens to be a good player on the end of that elbow, is certainly not what the Oilers need. They may have been missing it, but that's a good thing. We don't need the dirty stuff Raffi, just play consistent hockey and don't bobble around with the puck as much as you normally do.
He did draw an instigator so its not that bad only a 3min penalty that does not stop when the opponent scores. He could do wonders at getting under players skins in home and home games or in the playoffs we have needed an agitator like him for awhile , but I hope he does not turn into a cheap shot artists a-la Marchment/Nash/Tucker.

Old
10-02-2003, 08:33 PM
OYLer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor dyck
but isn't that what an agitator does - he agitates.
Hey Thor did I meet your brother-in-law Peter Tender? Enough of that--anyway--have to agree. Some penalties are more timely than others. If Raffi can get a an opposing team off their game with the occasional well timed edgy liberty, it sometimes can be helpfull.

But if he plays legally mean even better. Think we need to get him some boxing lessons with Daryl Duke. Now there's a descriptive name as in put up your dukes...

Old
10-02-2003, 08:46 PM
Digger12

After watching Hemsky's goal (great feed from York), I'm feeling rash and I'm COMIN' OUT WITH A BOLD STATEMENT PEOPLE!!

He's going to score more than 5 goals this year. Call me loony, but I think it's gonna happen.

He made that goal look ridiculously easy, he looked like Kurri on that one.

Closed Thread