HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Pekka Rinne Signs

Closed Thread

Old
08-23-2005, 11:56 AM
handtrick

vCash: 500
Pekka Rinne Signs

I wonder if this means that he is going to be playing in Milwaukee this year after all....

http://www.nashvillepredators.com/pr...p?item_id=5506

Old
08-23-2005, 11:57 AM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

this came out of left field

Old
08-23-2005, 12:12 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus O' Toole
this came out of left field
not really. they said he was one of the guys they wanted to bring over, and with Kotyk not resigned, Finley needed a backup...though I wouldn't mind if Rinne beat him out for the starting job

Old
08-23-2005, 04:50 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
not really. they said he was one of the guys they wanted to bring over, and with Kotyk not resigned, Finley needed a backup...though I wouldn't mind if Rinne beat him out for the starting job
I would because that would likely mean that Finley bombed out. As nice as Rinne could be for us, I don't think management expects him to be our 'starter of the future' and they certainly don't expect as much out of him going forward as they think Finley 'might' give us. Having him surpass Finley means that Finley has not made the necessary progress and is likely out as a potential candidate to replace Vokoun in the future.

Old
08-23-2005, 05:09 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
I would because that would likely mean that Finley bombed out. As nice as Rinne could be for us, I don't think management expects him to be our 'starter of the future' and they certainly don't expect as much out of him going forward as they think Finley 'might' give us. Having him surpass Finley means that Finley has not made the necessary progress and is likely out as a potential candidate to replace Vokoun in the future.

but who says that's not already the case? Do you think Finley has "proven" himself? Hasn't management said that they're more than a little disappointed that he hasn't taken the reins the way he should have, by now? We can't just make Finley the defacto "go-to guy." If Rinne comes in and outplays Finley, then he should be the starter. Finley can't be it...on principle.

Old
08-23-2005, 06:58 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Poile mentioned Finley's progress the other day and disappointment wasn't anything close to the description he used.

Old
08-23-2005, 07:05 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
Poile mentioned Finley's progress the other day and disappointment wasn't anything close to the description he used.

at the beginning of the summer, he specifically said that Finley's play, while improved, was still not where they hoped it would be. and before LAST season, he said that this was finley's year to show that he deserved to be drafted where he was.

what GM would come right out and say "well, we're sticking with him...but he's disappointing"

Old
08-23-2005, 07:31 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Didn't hear those, just heard him say that Finley's injuries are behind him and it seems he's now able to focus on the skills that he showed before being drafted.

Old
08-23-2005, 08:11 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
Didn't hear those, just heard him say that Finley's injuries are behind him and it seems he's now able to focus on the skills that he showed before being drafted.

we talked about it, here on the board.

I mean, don't get me wrong...I hope like all Preds fans should hope that it works out...but everything about him reminds me of Mike Dunham, and I don't want to go through that again. Look at what happened to the Admirals in the playoffs...eliminated on a soft goal. What happens when that's us...in the second round of the playoffs?

Old
08-23-2005, 09:54 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
but who says that's not already the case? Do you think Finley has "proven" himself? Hasn't management said that they're more than a little disappointed that he hasn't taken the reins the way he should have, by now? We can't just make Finley the defacto "go-to guy." If Rinne comes in and outplays Finley, then he should be the starter. Finley can't be it...on principle.
Agreed, but if Rinne comes in and outplays Finley, it means Finley is done as a Predator. While you are 'hoping' for this scenario, I'd rather not cross that bridge. I'd love for Rinne to come in and play great and earn his keep as Finley's backup as long as Finley plays better and earns his keep as well.

If Rinne beats Finley out for a starting job, it doesn't necessarily mean that Rinne is any good. In fact, nothing tells me anything more than that he's average. Using that as a template, if he beats out Finley, it likely means Finley played below average. I'd prefer that not happen. Finley as the starter means one of two things generically speaking, he's either good or Rinne is bad. The odds of him being good over Rinne being bad are better, in my mind, than Rinne outplaying a stellar Brian Finley. In other words, I think the Preds will be better off if Finley starts.

Old
08-23-2005, 09:57 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

i understand what you're saying...but let's say that i'm not hanging my hat on either of these guys. i think goalie is probably the hardest spot to develop...and i'd not be devastated if, when vokoun finally leaves, we had to make a trade or sign someone. that's not to say i'm hoping either of these guys...or lassila...fails. but it wouldn't upset me all that much, either.

Old
08-23-2005, 10:08 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
i understand what you're saying...but let's say that i'm not hanging my hat on either of these guys. i think goalie is probably the hardest spot to develop...and i'd not be devastated if, when vokoun finally leaves, we had to make a trade or sign someone. that's not to say i'm hoping either of these guys...or lassila...fails. but it wouldn't upset me all that much, either.
I'm prepared for failure with both Finley and Lassila. I expect it. But at the same token, it'd be great if we could count on either. One of my bigger fears is that in a few years, we'll have everything to win the cup but a goaltender. A lot of people compare us to Ottawa. I hope we don't share their weakness.

Old
08-24-2005, 05:43 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Vokoun is still young enough for me not to worry about the position yet.

Closed Thread