HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Centers

Closed Thread

Old
08-17-2005, 02:53 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Centers

I thought I'd just start a new thread for this, seems like we bring it up in every thread.

Right now the only centers we likely have are Legwand, Johnson, Nichol, Smithson.

Hall can play center but plays better as a wing. Sullivan has played center a handful of times but didn't seem too keen on the idea.

Old
08-17-2005, 03:49 PM
handtrick

Poile on 104.5 today was ragging on Arkhipuff again....sounds like he is almost trying to convince him to stay in Russia....said again he tried to trade him last year, but nobody wanted him so they obviously saw the same problems that the Preds staff has seen...also he said that unless he comes out big right at the beginning he will find himself in Milwaukee the entire year.
He said Denis is weighing his options now.

Sounds like Poile wants that $1.064 mill cap/budget room back....

Old
08-18-2005, 08:58 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Can Upshall play center? He has the size and speed and the grit. I'd think he'd fit better on that second line spot than Johnson.

Old
08-21-2005, 09:19 AM
handtrick

Any interest in Kraft or Malone

Found this on the Pitts thread....sounds like Milan Kraft and Ryan Malone may be on the outs in Pitts because of contract impasses....both are RFA. Malone can play wing or center [but with an abysmal FO% - 27%]. Both are 6'3" and over, both scored appx 20 goals in 2003/4.

Any interest?

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05233/557320.stm

Sounds like the Pens fans are upset about the potential of losing either or both.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...04#post3330404

Old
08-21-2005, 09:44 AM
handtrick

How about Andy Hilbert?

Also looks like Andy Hilbert has asked for a trade from the Bruins. He hasn't spent much time in Boston, but had a good year in Providence last year with GP79 G37 A42 Pts79 +11

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...e_line/?page=4

Any interest this direction?

Looks like teams are starting to feel the heat of the cap....this might just be what Poile was waiting for....

Old
08-21-2005, 11:20 AM
PACaptain

As a Pens fan, I think Nashville has a shot at getting Milan Kraft. Ryan Malone is almost a lock to be a Pittsburgh Penguin next season, I dismiss most of his mess as contractual posturing.

I am a big Milan Kraft fan and I wish he would be given a shot at the Pens #2 center job. He produced last year when given ice time and remotely talented linemates. Kraft is a scorer with good stickhandling skills, pretty good faceoff ability, and is an adequate defensive player. His not the fastest player, but there is no shortage of speed to work with on the Predators. I could see him playing with either Sullivan or Kariya and having success.

I think he could be had for a nearly NHL ready defensive prospect or mid round draft pick. I know that Shea Weber and Ryan Suter are nearly untouchable but what about someone like Kevin Klein or Andrew Hutchinson?

Old
08-21-2005, 11:58 AM
Stars-Preds

Hutchinson we already dealt to Carolina for a draft pick (although if we could take it back, I would move him for Kraft).

Klein for Kraft? Interesting. I think Kraft is a good player and we would be dealing from depth (defense). I like Klein but we need another center. What does everyone else think?

Old
08-21-2005, 12:41 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by leg11wand
Hutchinson we already dealt to Carolina for a draft pick (although if we could take it back, I would move him for Kraft).

Klein for Kraft? Interesting. I think Kraft is a good player and we would be dealing from depth (defense). I like Klein but we need another center. What does everyone else think?
sign me up, seems like an equal swap, and if we absolutely have to ... add a 3rd

Old
08-21-2005, 12:50 PM
handtrick

In reality I am somewhat leary of Kraft..... coming of one good season about 20 goals, 6"3' 214 and 25 yrs old....agent shopping him around to Russian teams....who does that remind you of [maybe somewhat unfairly]...

He was tendered a $1.028 million qualifying offer in the summer of 2004, but never signed or filed for arbitration, hence his Group 2 status now ... and his availability to Russian teams. To sign him him might take $1.0mill - $1.35 mill.

I wouldn't give up Klein for him, I would have given up Hutch for him, we have already given away our 3rd in 2006 for Markov....we have gotten a 4th from Atlanta for Hnidy.

I think I would offer the 4th in 2006 we got from Atlanta plus Zanon, Pivko, or Gamache, but that is about as high a I would go.....if Pens walked away, I wouldn't feel bad....and just keep our line in the water .....

Old
08-21-2005, 01:57 PM
PACaptain

Sorry about adding Hutchinson, I thought he was dealt already but I went on tsn.ca and he was still listed under the Predators so I went with that.

I think Kraft for Klein and maybe a draft pick is pretty fair. How close to NHL ready is Klein? I like what I read about him but can honestly say I haven't seen him play. As leg11wand said, the Preds have good depth on defense and the Penguins have a glut of forwards. Kraft can fit in and produce right now.

handtrick, you said that Kraft's situation reminds you of Arkhipov (at least I think) and maybe its similar. Kraft rejected his qualifying offer because he wanted more than one year. I believe the Pens really lowballed him because the center position is loaded with young talent right now with Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin (maybe this year), Kris Beech, Shane Endicott, etc. I really can't see Kraft playing in Russia unless he has no other options.

I see Kraft as a good fit for the Preds because he needs to be a top two line center to be effective and he is very capable of playing that role. The problem for him in Pittsburgh is there are a lot of guys who can fill that role. If the Penguins did not have Crosby and Malkin, I would guess the team would already have Kraft signed and ready to go. So Pittsburgh is fortunate to have both Crosby and Malkin, but our gain is Kraft's loss.

Old
08-21-2005, 02:18 PM
handtrick

Klein made a lot of strides in Milwaukee last year and is most likely going to spend the bulk of the year down there again, and will benefit from that year immensely.

He is a very good and efficent skater, moves the puck well with a good outlet pass, is becoming positionally sound, has a good point shot, and likes to be involved with the rush. His offensive potential has some untapped upside. He has excellent potential for an eventual 2nd line pairing.

I would say, however,...not quite NHL ready this year....he still has some bulking up to do....

Closed Thread