HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

A dose of reality from an unexpected source.

Closed Thread

Old
08-18-2005, 06:58 AM
SENSible1*

vCash: 500
A dose of reality from an unexpected source.

Garrihack, who normally beats the hysterical drum for all it's worth, comes thru with a much needed bite from the reality sandwich in two articles in today's Ottawa Sun.

Redden not on block--Sens trying to negotiate an extension

And

Hossa's reasonable demands

Key quotes from both articles.

Quote:
The Senators aren't trying to trade Wade Redden -- they're trying to keep him.

Internet and published reports that said the defenceman was on the trading block were described as ''stupid'' by an NHL source yesterday.

And Redden confirmed last night that the Senators have approached his agent, Don Meehan, about a contract extension.
And

Quote:
Sources say Hossa may have accepted a deal similar to the three-year, $13.5-million contract Pavol Demitra signed with Los Angeles.

"All Hossa wants is what he considers to be fair. He was identified as one of the league's best bargains for the last three years and now he believes that it's time to cash in," said a league source who is familiar with the situation.
All the Chicken Littles can take a step back, a long slow deep breath and watch their blood pressure return to normal as they realize that this was yet another case of much ado about nothing.

Old
08-18-2005, 08:16 AM
Pancake Repairman

I figured the Redden rumours were just pure speculation. After all, nobody within the Sens organization really confirmed or even hinted about the possibility of trading him. On top of that, it just doesn't make sense to move the guy.

And hopefully that Hossa contract gets signed. 3-year, $13.5 million is a fair deal for both sides. It puts Hossa at just a little under Alfredsson, which is ideal because really, no one on this team should be making more than Alfredsson. The previous two deals the Sens reportedly offered Hossa (both around 11.5 for 3 years or something) were lowballs, especially considering the guy has been underpaid for about 4 of the 5 years on his last contract.

Old
08-18-2005, 08:32 AM
o-dog

I was just as dumbfounded that this source of sanity was coming from Brute Garrioch, but it make a lot of sense. Only thing I don't believe is that we will get Hoss for a Demitra type offer...might have to add on a few million for that, like 16.5 over 3 years. Hossa is the best player on the team and will be paid accordingly.

Old
08-18-2005, 08:44 AM
SENSible1*

If I'm Mucks, I come in with a 3 year 4.5 offer and then WHEN rejected give Hoss a final offer of the same amount of money Alfie (4.66) is making over a three year term.

I think that Hossa is looking for respect as well as money. Offering to make him tied for the highest player on the team accomplishes that.

If Hossa rejects the final offer and goes to arbitration, then his intentions are clear for next summer, but my gut tells me he just might bite at Alfie's number.

Old
08-18-2005, 09:46 AM
SensGod

Send a message via MSN to SensGod
Redden on the trading block is the wishful thinking of 29 GM's and the fans of those teams...

Old
08-18-2005, 09:55 AM
armani
Guy Likes

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGod
Redden on the trading block is the wishful thinking of 29 GM's and the fans of those teams...
I predict Redden to have a Norris Trophy calibre season this year, his breakout performance.

Old
08-18-2005, 10:14 AM
o-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by armani
I predict Redden to have a Norris Trophy calibre season this year, his breakout performance.
Me too. I also feel very strongly about Hossa, Havlat and Spezza having excellent seasons as well. Would be a wonderful treat to watch but if those 3, Redden and Chara need to be signed...oh dear!

Old
08-18-2005, 10:56 AM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by armani
Saw McGuire on the tube last night waxing poetically about Redden at the team Canada camp. After his WC performance and if he can get a defensive partner that is more than AHL calibre, he may well get his Norris nomination.

Old
08-18-2005, 07:04 PM
26andreroy36

The rumours were absolute garbage and it's better if they do lose Redden for nothing if they get one more of service from him.

This year they have to go for the Cup. If they don't win it, they may as well start from scratch. They won't have a goalie and they have some great prospects to start over.

Old
08-18-2005, 08:02 PM
Frank Finnigan

It's kind of funny that these articles came from Garrioch. If another journalist starts alarmist rumours, then there's no truth to them, but when Garrioch starts them, there are likely to happen. What a boob - and not the good kind. Was he not the first to report Hossa's demands for $7 million a season?

Old
08-19-2005, 08:51 AM
armani
Guy Likes

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Finnigan
It's kind of funny that these articles came from Garrioch. If another journalist starts alarmist rumours, then there's no truth to them, but when Garrioch starts them, there are likely to happen. What a boob - and not the good kind. Was he not the first to report Hossa's demands for $7 million a season?
Actually this time, it was Garrioch who is trying to squash the rumours. It was all started by even more idiotic Brennan.

Old
08-19-2005, 08:53 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

The issue all comes down to a single quote, where Hossa basically compared his production to Thornton and Iginla (in terms of points).

At that moment, Brennan and Co. basically went around saying, "Hossa wants 7 million dollars, Hossa thinks he's Thornton and Iginla."

That's not what he said.

He was making the point that one could compare his stats to Thornton and Iginla, in terms of points, and that he feels undervalued by the current offers being made to him.

Basically our hockey journalists are trying to not be out-hyped by all the action going on elsewhere in the league, so they're making mountains out of molehills.

Closed Thread