HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hab fans choosing RDS over CBC

Old
05-15-2014, 11:58 AM
stealth1

vCash: 500
Hab fans choosing RDS over CBC

I searched for it and couldn't find anything, but I am wondering why so many English speaking Hab fans choose to watch the game on RDS over CBC?

stealth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 12:01 PM
Coldplay
Courage

a) RDS better picture/audio
b) No PJ Stock or Glenn Healy
c) Pierre Houde

Are the reasons I can think of.

Though, RDS is full of amateurs handling their replays and ticker, something ALWAYS goes wrong. I'm on CBC just because of superstition right now, can't change to RDS (the one game I watched on RDS was Game 5...)

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 12:02 PM
Nynja*

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth1 View Post
I searched for it and couldn't find anything, but I am wondering why so many English speaking Hab fans choose to watch the game on RDS over CBC?
Because CBC is pretty clear with their anti-Habs programming. From Glenn Healy buryin the habs, to PJ Stock burying the habs, to Don Cherry burying the habs...the only one there thats not bias is Elliotte Friedman

Nynja* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 12:03 PM
CH25
PK SUBBAN = HAB4LIFE

I have the option to watch on CBC but I don't. I despise the clowns they employ on there. I rather listen to Pierre Houde on commentary. This has nothing to do with language. Besides the only time I watched the game on CBC (only first 3 minutes and switched back to RDS) the Habs lost so I'm superstitious too.

CH25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 12:04 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
I moved your thread to the Habs board because you'll probably get more useful replies here.

I'm an English speaker watching on CBC (despite watching the regular season on RDS) but I assume for those who didn't switch, CBC's bias and lousy analysts play a pretty big role. Not too many Hab fans want to hear PJ Stock and Don Cherry analyzing their team, and nobody wants to hear Glenn Healy.

Familiarity and RDS being the Habs' "home" network probably plays a role too. Nothing beats Pierre's "et le buuuuut!" as a Habs fan.

And I'm in the same boat as Coldplay - started watching the playoffs on CBC for whatever reason and we're in the ECF, so I can't switch now.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 12:05 PM
Madevilz

I fall asleep when I watch it on CBC, srs.

Pierre Houde does a fantastic job.

Madevilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 12:05 PM
shamrun

not sure....maybe this image might have a hidden clue in it that can help explain this situation.

shamrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 12:07 PM
Rapala
Chasin'TheCup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
a) RDS better picture/audio
b) No PJ Stock or Glenn Healy
c) Pierre Houde

Are the reasons I can think of.

Though, RDS is full of amateurs handling their replays and ticker, something ALWAYS goes wrong. I'm on CBC just because of superstition right now, can't change to RDS (the one game I watched on RDS was Game 5...)
I'd take Gord Miller and TSN if i could.
Honestly Marc Denis and Vinny Damphousse are about the only ones i can stomach on RDS.
I don't mind Pierre but he starting to misfire a la Bob Cole and if he brings up that leading after two regular season stat one more time i fear for the life of my Plasma.

Rapala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 12:09 PM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

Play by play on RDS = the best (Marc Denis and Pierre Houde)
Between periods talks are awful tho. I switch to 98.5 radio (french) or TSN radio 690 (english).

CBC hates us so bad and their play by play suck. They are full of old farts that love the Leafs and once they are out of the playoffs they go on full hate against us. Like some1 mentioned, picture and audio quality is much better on RDS.

On another note, it will be interesting seeing what happens next considering TVA sport and Sportsnet get the playoffs with CBC only getting the saturday games if I'm not mistaken? Kinda sad to see it's RDS's last playoff

MooseOllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 12:13 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! BOOOOO!

vCash: 50
RDS has better coverage.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Captain Saku

I always habs games on RDS.
Non-habs games on CBC/TSN.

Can't stand CBC feed, commentators, Stock, Healy, Cherry, etc... Specially against Boston, I didn't even put it on CBC for even one second.

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Patty Roy

I'm technically bilingual but french can be a struggle at times....but i always watch RDS.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 12:15 PM
Aarex

My perfect world would be no commentary whatsoever, just have mics at ice level so we can hear players.

Aarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 12:15 PM
Haaabs

I watched all the pre season games and regular season games on RDS.

I watched the pregame montage on CBC for game 1 vs Tampa Bay. I also stuck around because RDS usually skips the national anthems.

I forgot to switch the channel and I've watched all the games on CBC since.

Haaabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 12:16 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Jim Hughson is massively boring compared to Pierre Houde.

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 12:18 PM
ChoseLa

CBC because i get the feed in HD, otherwise RDS.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Godzilla

I am grateful to the CBC. They forced me to discover RDS.

Godzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

I still prefer the CBC.

Much better sound
Lower levels on the play-by play voices
Less commercials

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 12:19 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
CBC for me but it is my only choice since I dumped cable a little over a year ago and now have a homemade antenna that gives me about a dozen over-air HD channels including CBC.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 12:22 PM
LaFloater

CBC has done a piss poor job of their Habs coverage this playoffs. I long for the days of a MONTREAL CBC crew doing Habs games. It was nice to see Dick Irvin the other night. But it only served to remind me of how much I hate these current morons. Jim Hughson is starting to lose it when calling games, he sucks. Craig Simpson is just a full on idiot. Some of his observations are so horribly inaccurate you wonder if he is blind as well as dumb? Healey = useless. At least Healey finally woke up to the realization this series that Marchand is the dirtiest player in the NHL. Yes Glenn you are right, The refs could have called a penalty on every shift he did. But the little ahole has been doing that since day one of his career. I really wont miss these guys at all next year if they are punted off TV.

LaFloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 12:22 PM
number 11

1- rds has better and more exciting play by play
2- cbc is full of hab hating idiots ie pj stock, don cherry, glen healy who just do nothing but look for negative storylines

i'll only watch cbc for the great video intros, then switch over to rds and never look back

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 12:24 PM
Sam I Am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy View Post
I'm technically bilingual but french can be a struggle at times....but i always watch RDS.
For the first time in many years, I've gone with CBC over RDS.

One oddity: I had trouble making out the CBC guys covering the play because the crowd noise was mixed too loud. Especially in the games from the Boston Garden. Anybody else notice this issue?

The Jim Hughson/Craig Simpson combo is quite professional. Despite Glen Healey who is bit of a moron, I found the CBC crew did a good job. If it was Bob Cole doing the play-by-play, RDS would have been my clear choice.

In general, I like Pierre Houde a lot though he sometimes gets a bit too anecdotal as the play is going on. (It is a long season.)

I may opt for NBC for those games which it carries.

Sam I Am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 12:25 PM
Derek Zoolander
En un clin d'œil

I've got no choice living in the US, but it comes to something when I'm happy to hear the NBC Commentary Team rather than the CBC clowns, who seem to have marginally less hatred for the Habs. Healy makes Pierre look like Le Gros Bill in has hatred for Les Glorieux. When I lived in Canada, I always watched RDS, my French improved immeasurably.

Derek Zoolander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 12:26 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

I never watch the Habs on CBC. I just find the bias against the Habs irritating, and then I really heavily disrespect some of the people they employ for their coverage (esp. Cherry, but also Healy, Stock, and others over the years - the good ones have never outweighed the bad ones). Although a lot of that impression is based on hearsay, since... I never watch the Habs on CBC.

I've always sought out RDS on cable, even when I had to pay a little extra. They aren't homers to the extent that they could be, but they make me feel "at home".

I watch some of the late West games on CBC, though, it's less irritating in a "neutral" match, and it's also slightly more convenient to have a game "in the background" in English if I'm half-watching and doing something else at the same time. But from that exposure to CBC, it really only reinforces my opinion that they do not do a good job of covering hockey, and some of their crew are really bad choices and unacceptably biased for what is supposed to be a national broadcaster.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 12:27 PM
Paddyjack

Don Cherry called the Chara-Patch hit a beauty last night.... want any more reason not to listen to CBC anymore?

Paddyjack is offline   Reply With Quote