HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Habs/Oilers at the draft

Old
04-03-2014, 12:10 PM
Habsrule

vCash: 500
Habs/Oilers at the draft

To Oilers:
PK Subban

To Habs:
Darnell Nurse
Aaron Ekblad (2014 1st rounder pick)
2015 2nd round pick

On a side note a buddy of mine who is an Oilers fan asked me about this trade. He was telling me how the Oilers need a #1 D man.

I do not want to trade Subban but for a future painring of Nurse and Ekblad I would have to think about it.

Habsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 12:13 PM
MinnesotaFats

vCash: 50
No.

The Oilers do need a #1 D. His name is Ekblad. Subban isn't defensively responsible enough. We have enough players that commit regularly horrendous turnovers. PK brings a lot to the table and would solve a lot of problems for us, but Ekblad projects to provide more.

I do think the Oilers would make that type of deal for Subban if Buffalo takes Ekblad. But no real point for the Habs to do that I guess.

MinnesotaFats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 12:26 PM
Lebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsrule View Post
To Oilers:
PK Subban

To Habs:
Darnell Nurse
2015 2nd round pick

On a side note a buddy of mine who is an Oilers fan asked me about this trade. He was telling me how the Oilers need a #1 D man.

I do not want to trade Subban but for a future painring of Nurse and Ekblad I would have to think about it.
A future pairing of Nurse and Ekblad?

Do yourself a favor and go through the last 20 or so drafts and look at the top picked defensemen. Being picked high is no guarantee to become an impact player in the NHL... Far from it.

Komisarek was a 7th overall.

Ekblad hasn't played a single game in the NHL and the odds he becomes one of the leagues best defenseman are slim. Subban is already at that level. Are we rebuilding? Why would we go after picks and prospects when our cup window could be in 2-3 years? By the time Ekblad is a 1st pairing defenseman, if he ever becomes one, our core, Price, Pacioretty Galchenyuk, will all be in their late 20s, if not low 30s. That's a huge gamble to take with very high odds of back-firing on us.

Subban will get paid and will help the Habs more than any prospect could. Let's just leave it at that. This isn't NHL14. The whole point isn't to assemble the youngest, most potential filled team as possible. This is what the Oilers are, and I wouldn't want to switch place with them.

Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 12:32 PM
Habsfan2731
HFBoards Sponsor

Unless contract talks really go south between Montreal & Subban, I don't touch this.

Can't fault for value because it seems decent & isn't a quantity trade, but just don't see Montreal pulling anything huge this summer when it comes to Subban.

He's the future for us & I believe it puts Montreal a few years back acquiring 2 prospects, also Subban embraces the pressure of playing in Montreal & not many players can do that, so that's another reason why I wouldn't pull this deal.

Habsfan2731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 12:33 PM
Celly Hard

Oilers get fleeced.

Celly Hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 12:46 PM
Yak City

Given the way that Habs/Oilers proposals usually go, this is fairer than I expected.

Nurse/Ekblad has the potential to be a monstrous pairing in the future, but Subban is a monster d-man already. Hmm.

To be honest, I think if I were the GM of the Oilers, I'd rather offer sheet Subban instead, but I feel like the value isn't that far off in the proposed trade. Potential definitely favours Montreal, but as far as immediate impact goes, it heavily favours Edmonton.

That said, I don't see Montreal even considering this unless it becomes clear that Subban wants out.

Yak City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 12:52 PM
LTIR

vCash: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post

Do yourself a favor and go through the last 20 or so drafts and look at the top picked defensemen. Being picked high is no guarantee to become an impact player in the NHL... Far from it.

Top 2 D picks all the way down to Komisarek

Jones - Nurse
Murray - Reinhart
Larsson - Hamilton
Gudbranson-Fowler
Hedman-EkmanLarsson
Doughty-Bogosian
Hickey-Alzner
Johnson-Wishart
Johnson-Lee
Barker-Smid
Suter-Couburn
JBo-Pitkanen
Komisarek-Hamhuis

A few misses a couple questionmarks but a whole to of hits.

IMO the OP is close in value and I am an Oilers fan.

LTIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 12:53 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsrule View Post
To Oilers:
PK Subban

To Habs:
Darnell Nurse
2015 2nd round pick

so oilers trade two guys who could both be number one d-men and they add more? if that deal gets offered it is easily turned down

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 12:59 PM
HeavyHitter99

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozwell View Post
so oilers trade two guys who could both be number one d-men and they add more? if that deal gets offered it is easily turned down
The key words are could be number one dmen. The value is in Montreal's favor but I understand why they wouldn't do this. It's essentially 3 prospects for their number 1 dman, awfully risky.

As an Oiler fan I think the price is too steep but although Subban is not exactly the kind of dman we would hope to get for such a package, he would still greatly improve our D core leaps and bounds.

HeavyHitter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 12:59 PM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Quote:
keyword: could

no guarantees

Pierre Dagenais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 01:01 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
HFBoards: Could>>>Is

Real world: Could<<<Is

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 01:03 PM
Mr Tarkanian
Ali Bomaye!

vCash: 404
No Thanks, just not that sold on Subban. Dont get me wrong the kid is good but I dont see him as the anchor on Defense of a cup winning team.

Mr Tarkanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 01:08 PM
CanadienShark

vCash: 517
Not interested at all. Probably the only feasible deal (overpayment for Subban) is Yakupov + 2014 1st. That would instantly make the Oilers a much better team without horribly impacting the future, but it's an overpayment of value for sure. Anything less just makes no sense for the Habs. No deal to realistically be made.

CanadienShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 01:09 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post

Komisarek was a 7th overall.

Ekblad hasn't played a single game in the NHL and the odds he becomes one of the leagues best defenseman are slim. Subban is already at that level. Are we rebuilding? Why would we go after picks and prospects when our cup window could be in 2-3 years? By the time Ekblad is a 1st pairing defenseman, if he ever becomes one, our core, Price, Pacioretty Galchenyuk, will all be in their late 20s, if not low 30s. That's a huge gamble to take with very high odds of back-firing on us.

Subban will get paid and will help the Habs more than any prospect could. Let's just leave it at that. This isn't NHL14. The whole point isn't to assemble the youngest, most potential filled team as possible. This is what the Oilers are, and I wouldn't want to switch place with them.
Komisarek was a good defenseman until injuries slowed him down

Go ahead and try to devalue Ekblad all you want but smarter people than you know better. Some Hab fans sound exactly like Flames fans regarding Phanuef in his first few years in the league

04-03-2014, 01:10 PM
canovin
Klefbom's charm

No from Oilers perspective. However, I would package Schultz, Gagner, 2016 1st, 2017 1st for Subban.

canovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 01:10 PM
MPStoEberletoHall

Pass from the Oil. Nurse and Ekblad have been dominating the OHL this yr... If we get Ekblad, We will have a top 5 D pairing in the league in the next 5 yrs. Bank on it

MPStoEberletoHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 01:14 PM
Mr Positive

vCash: 1048
Im intrigued. A top four of Klefbom, Subban/ Marincin, Schultz would be ready to step up right away.

Mr Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 01:15 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPStoEberletoHall View Post
Pass from the Oil. Nurse and Ekblad have been dominating the OHL this yr... If we get Ekblad, We will have a top 5 D pairing in the league in the next 5 yrs. Bank on it
Absolutely. The OHL is a tough league. And that Subban guy hasn't done anything above that league either

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 01:16 PM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by canovin View Post
No from Oilers perspective. However, I would package Schultz, Gagner, 2016 1st, 2017 1st for Subban.
Does Edmonton really need a goalie that bad? Seems like an overpayment for an unproven goalie.

Old
04-03-2014, 01:17 PM
MPStoEberletoHall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
Absolutely. The OHL is a tough league. And that Subban guy hasn't done anything above that league either
Sweet sarcasm, holding back my tears. Ill stick with Nurse and potentially Ekblad. Thanks

MPStoEberletoHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 01:19 PM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Quote:
Sweet sarcasm, holding back my tears. Ill stick with Nurse and potentially Ekblad. Thanks
Good luck buddy. The Oilers sure know how to develop potential.

Old
04-03-2014, 01:21 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
I get why too. But at what point does MacT trade away one of the young guns for a quality veteran Dman? Because there is no way a kid "dominating" a Jr. league can possibly be more of a benefit that a legit proven top pairing NHL Dman.

and I am not talking about with MTL....I do not see ANYTHING being done between these two teams at all this year, other than irrational hfboard flame wars

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 01:24 PM
glassbangers
"I home."

Not saying it's a bad deal valuewise, but I'd rather try to keep Nurse (and Ekblad) and offer sheet Subban.

glassbangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 01:28 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTIR View Post
Top 2 D picks all the way down to Komisarek

Jones - Nurse
Murray - Reinhart

Larsson - Hamilton
Gudbranson-Fowler
Hedman-EkmanLarsson
Doughty-Bogosian
Hickey-Alzner
Johnson-Wishart
Johnson-Lee
Barker-Smid
Suter-Couburn
JBo-Pitkanen
Komisarek-Hamhuis

A few misses a couple questionmarks but a whole to of hits.

IMO the OP is close in value and I am an Oilers fan.
Red= To early to tell. Bold= missed. You're almost at a 50% hit/miss rate. Not to knock Ekblad as many feel he's what Edmonton needs... but I wouldn't move Subban (or any other top end established talent) for that package. There needs to be a serious add in the form of an established player.

Unless of course Subban refuses to sign an extension in Montreal. But even if that's the case, they could likely get a better offer bring back a more established talent.

"Itís not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, itís as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 01:29 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais View Post
Good luck buddy. The Oilers sure know how to develop potential.
I'm so jealous of the Habs. I wish the Oilers had players like Galchenyuk, Beaulieu, Tinordi, and Leblanc tearing up the league. Oh, wait. Those are all young kids who need time? Same for the Oilers but thanks for coming out
That potential would be the highest scores on your team

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote