HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All-Encompassing Mike Gillis Thread - Part III

Closed Thread

Old
04-03-2014, 04:31 PM
BrandonL

vCash: 500
I don't think think Gillis should be fired at this point, but this interview certainly raises some concerns about his competency moving forward.

While I've seen a couple posters praising him for being "open and candid", I think this interview shows that Gillis has no real true vision for the team. So at first he wanted a skilled team, then he spent over two seasons attempting to construct a "bigger team", and now we are back to focusing on being a skilled team? Give me a break.

I' m all for this team making the transition back to playing a more "skilled" game of hockey, but the way Gillis has gone about it is a joke. If the Bruins or Blues win the cup this year, he will probably change his mind again.

Old
04-03-2014, 04:36 PM
CalgaryCanuck03
@calgarycanuck03

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonL View Post
I don't think think Gillis should be fired at this point, but this interview certainly raises some concerns about his competency moving forward.

While I've seen a couple posters praising him for being "open and candid", I think this interview shows that Gillis has no real true vision for the team. So at first he wanted a skilled team, then he spent over two seasons attempting to construct a "bigger team", and now we are back to focusing on being a skilled team? Give me a break.

I' m all for this team making the transition back to playing a more "skilled" game of hockey, but the way Gillis has gone about it is a joke. If the Bruins or Blues win the cup this year, he will probably change his mind again.
No, what the interview said was that Gillis does have that a real true vision for the team. He didn't before but he does now.

Old
04-03-2014, 04:40 PM
vanwest

Quote:

His record means to me that he's earned the chance to deliver on his promise. I'm less concerned with what he says and more with what he does. Recognizing an issue is the first step but fixing it is much harder.

Old
04-03-2014, 04:47 PM
Wisp

Quote:

I'm all for this team making the transition back to playing a more "skilled" game of hockey, but the way Gillis has gone about it is a joke. If the Bruins or Blues win the cup this year, he will probably change his mind again.
well if you believe the stories of ownership meddling, it all makes sense doesn't it?

this interview says to me that he's down compromising that vision, whether that's with his long term coach AV or Torts or Frankie Aquaman.

I hope he pulls through.

Old
04-03-2014, 04:51 PM
mossey3535

Actually he has repeated the 'skill' thing every single year, including a lot in last post-season. I think he's just amended it to prefering skilled players who also happen to be bigger.

If it comes to fire Gillis or fire Tortorella, I fire Tortorella every single time.

Here's the thing. In the last two years we all thought we had a shot at the Cup. So all the things he did were pretty much peripheral.

Now that it looks like big moves would have to be made, I think the Luongo and Schneider deals were trades that took a lot of courage. And even though I am a goalie geek and those are my two favourite Canucks players by far, I think they were good moves with good returns.

A core declines. That has happened to every team that wasn't fortunate enough to draft a duo like Malkin/Crosby or Kane/Toews in successive years. It's silly to blame Gillis for players having career years and then not being able to keep up that production. That's an age-old story in the NHL. What really matters is what he does now that it's obvious the team is in transition. Let's not kid ourselves, as fans we were a part of this by clinging to the idea that our window was still open. I don't think considering the success of the 2010-2011 team that holding on to that hope for 2-3 years was a mistake. Now we know, but how was anyone to know two years ago?

Given the circumstances of the cap staying the same and the fact that the Sedins are pretty much lifers here, I don't understand how many think he could have done things much differently. There wasn't a lot of movement around the league for most teams either, unless you consider Nonis overpaying guys.

Now that the cap is going up again you see him starting to make moves, and I think signing Richardson, Santorelli and Stanton were great acquisitions with little cap space.

If anything what Gillis has done wrong is to let two coaches run the team without interference from him. He successfully got AV to change his style (and ironically AV is using that style in NYR to some success now), but then let AV have too much influence over: the style of play of the team which got more and more conservative; acquisitions such as Pahlsson; the play of BOTH CoHo and Kassian and other young guys.

Now he has let Tortorella do much the same thing, and you see his frustration coming out especially when you consider this coach may not have been his choice to begin with.

I think Gillis deserves another two years, to see how this retool goes. If Kesler and one core d-man is traded this off-season for good return, I think it will have been a successful short retool. By the time 1-2 years has passed, Lack will either be ready or we can bring in another veteran goalie (which is why I was not super upset with trading Schneider/Luongo because they are expensive and we need to spend that money on forwards).

Old
04-03-2014, 04:53 PM
7thGuest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Jackson View Post
Bob Nicholson has stepped down from his position at Hockey Canada. Would he be a candidate to replace Gillis?
He is from BC. But the skills required to run Hockey Canada should be very different than running a NHL team, right? I don't know if Bob Nicholson would make a good team executive/GM.

Others who know his track record better can speak to it.

Old
04-03-2014, 05:01 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Canuck management likely make decisions as a group though. Maybe Gillis was convinced by Henning etc. to beef up the team and change the style to better match up with the big, defensive clubs like Boston and Los Angeles? Gillis' own vision was speed, skill and quick transition - we know this because he preached it when hired. He could be wanting to go back to that, regardless of what the coaching staff and other members of management have to say.

If he stays, I would have to say it's a very good thing he wants to go back to the puck possession style. It's entertainment after all. And this stifling, defensive minded hockey just doesn't provide much excitement. Not to mention the success seen by this style of play - 2 cups for the Blackhawks, 20 straight years of playoffs for the Wings etc...

Old
04-03-2014, 05:10 PM
BrandonL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Canuck management likely make decisions as a group though. Maybe Gillis was convinced by Henning etc. to beef up the team and change the style to better match up with the big, defensive clubs like Boston and Los Angeles? Gillis' own vision was speed, skill and quick transition - we know this because he preached it when hired. He could be wanting to go back to that, regardless of what the coaching staff and other members of management have to say.

If he stays, I would have to say it's a very good thing he wants to go back to the puck possession style. It's entertainment after all. And this stifling, defensive minded hockey just doesn't provide much excitement. Not to mention the success seen by this style of play - 2 cups for the Blackhawks, 20 straight years of playoffs for the Wings etc...
Well said, I agree 100%.

It will be interesting to see how this impacts the roster moving forward.

Old
04-03-2014, 05:12 PM
Diamonddog01
Diamond in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangdas View Post
After reading this article people who are ranting we got a bad deal for Luongo should give their head a shake. If it weren't for the Panthers this year only, nobody would have dealt for him.
I don't think we got a bad deal. I do think things could've been handled a tad differently. IE as the Canucks were ok to retain salary, I would've preferred the Toronto deal for Scrivens and then we keep Schneids and have two great backups in Lack and Scrivens.

But, at the same time, despite not really liking Luongo I am happy things worked out for him. The thought of him in a Leafs jersey is kinda disgusting to be perfectly honest with you.

Old
04-03-2014, 05:17 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Well said, I agree 100%.

It will be interesting to see how this impacts the roster moving forward.
I think we can put to bed the notion of Brandon Sutter coming back in a Kesler deal. Pouliot would have to be the centrepiece there...

Jason Garrison could be a guy they look to move. Though the B.C. connection and NTC makes it unlikely.

Mason Raymond on a cheap, 1 year, show-me deal?

Old
04-03-2014, 05:22 PM
BrandonL

Quote:
I think we can put to bed the notion of Brandon Sutter coming back in a Kesler deal. Pouliot would have to be the centrepiece there...

Jason Garrison could be a guy they look to move. Though the B.C. connection and NTC makes it unlikely.

Mason Raymond on a cheap, 1 year, show-me deal?
Agreed, I also suspect that we are in the final days of the Tom Sestito era in Vancouver

Old
04-03-2014, 05:26 PM
WinterEmpire
Unregistered User

Sestito is like one of the best 4th liners we've had in a while, why would he be on the move.

Old
04-03-2014, 05:30 PM
cutcopy

If Gillis gets fired, who is going to replace him? I don't think there's anyone out there right now that's better than Gillis. Yeah, Gillis has his flaws, but he has done more good than bad. He got some center depth in Santorelli, Richardson and Matthias, and picked up Stanton for nothing. I think this years roster is better than last years, and last year the team got in the playoffs, despite having Kesler out for the majority of the season. So I'm placing most of team's downfall on the coaching. There's nothing great about Torts' coaching, he's misusing the players, the power play sucks even more than last year, 5 on 5 is soft of a mess (nothing impressive), and the penalty kill is going to ****. I also don't get how the defense is so ****** either, the canucks have a pretty good defensive crop on paper.

I hope Torts goes, his system (or lack there of) just doesn't fit with the personnel that the team has.

Old
04-03-2014, 05:31 PM
PorscheDesign

Gillis has been one of the most successful Canucks GM in history. He's brought back-to-back President trophies into the organization, one of the most successfuls season's in NHL history (2011), only missed the playoffs once in 6 years, and a trip to the Stanley Cup Final.

If Gillis gets fired, he will be hired by another franchise within that summer.

Old
04-03-2014, 05:34 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferarri View Post
Gillis has been one of the most successful Canucks GM in history. He's brought back-to-back President trophies into the organization, one of the most successfuls season's in NHL history (2011), only missed the playoffs once in 6 years, and a trip to the Stanley Cup Final.

If Gillis gets fired, he will be hired by another franchise within that summer.
No doubt. And the same Toronto media who say he should be fired will be mocking Vancouver for making a major mistake in letting him go. I can just here Dreger.

Old
04-03-2014, 05:45 PM
BrandonL

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterEmpire View Post
Sestito is like one of the best 4th liners we've had in a while, why would he be on the move.
Yea, I think I'm going to have to disagree with you there.

Sestito is a puck-possession anchor. If Gillis is serious about making the transition back to a skilled team, there is no place for someone like Sestito on this roster.

Old
04-03-2014, 05:49 PM
WinterEmpire
Unregistered User

Quote:

Sestito is a puck-possession anchor. If Gillis is serious about making the transition back to a skilled team, there is no place for someone like Sestito on this roster.
Aren't most 4th liners puck-possession anchors though?

Old
04-03-2014, 05:50 PM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
No doubt. And the same Toronto media who say he should be fired will be mocking Vancouver for making a major mistake in letting him go. I can just here Dreger.
Unless the Leafs fire Nonis....and immediately hire Gillis!

That'd explode the interwebs.

Old
04-03-2014, 05:51 PM
BuddyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
More than that, I'd bet they would be clamouring for the Leafs to hire Gillis when Nonis gets fired.

Old
04-03-2014, 05:54 PM
Diamonddog01
Diamond in the rough

Quote:

Sestito is on a one-way deal. He's ok as a 13th/14th forward imo, but I would agree he should not be a regular on the 4th line. Matthias and Richardson are good 4th line players, not Sestito.

Old
04-03-2014, 05:55 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

You'd swear by reading this thread that our team is a bunch of knuckle dragging barbarians We're a soft team, there is no doubt about it to me anyway- I know people will disagree but I think it is pretty plain to see.

I also don't appear to agree with Gillis on how the team should be built; I say "don't appear to" cause Gillis talks out of both sides of his mouth all the time. I am not sure what he is going for and what the direction of the team is at all.

That being said, I don't think Gillis should be fired. He has had some success here and has done some things very very well. Firing Gillis who has been successful looking for more success is like firing AV looking for more success. If it happens at this stage, our ownership really is a joke. Which I think is entirely possible.

Old
04-03-2014, 05:56 PM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

Sestito shouldn't be in the league, let alone on the Canuck roster.

Old
04-03-2014, 05:58 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
Sestito is on a one-way deal. He's ok as a 13th/14th forward imo, but I would agree he should not be a regular on the 4th line. Matthias and Richardson are good 4th line players, not Sestito.
Yeah Sestito is useful as a guy you keep in the pressbox as an "option" when facing certain teams when his "skills" are required.

Old
04-03-2014, 06:32 PM
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations

Ill put this here to (hasent been posted in the last couple pages at least) I like hearing interviews before reading to much opinions on it myself...

http://www.teamradio.ca/news/2014/04...is-on-team1040

Old
04-03-2014, 07:02 PM
BobbyJazzLegs
Sorry 4 Acting Werd

Quote:
Canuck management likely make decisions as a group though.
This must be remembered for numerous situations. We can't pin it all on one guy.

Anecdote alert - I work in an environment where decisions are made as a group. Despite being the lead, I often do not get to make the final decision. They also may be overridden by management at anytime.

Sucks when you were right all along and everything would be fine if you got to do it your way

Closed Thread