HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alain Vigneault

Old
04-14-2014, 07:26 AM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
AV has a better roster. The addition of MZA, Kreider, Pouliot, Brass, Dorsett, Carcillo, Moore and Diaz made this year's squad far superior to last year's. Notice that after the Gabby trade and MZA coming over, Torts also got better results.

Last year we had terrible depth, this year we have great depth.
Who was involved in bringing in that depth? The coach has a say

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 08:34 AM
True Blue

The one thing that has made a difference with THIS squad is that AV has held the course. He did not get too high or low and he did not betray anything to the outside. He has stayed even keel all year. That seems to have been the right approach with this group.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 08:40 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
The one thing that has made a difference with THIS squad is that AV has held the course. He did not get too high or low and he did not betray anything to the outside. He has stayed even keel all year. That seems to have been the right approach with this group.
The same attributes as what I felt made Renney such a good fit.

04-14-2014, 09:04 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
The same attributes as what I felt made Renney such a good fit.
You are right. Renney was a good fit for that team. Does not change my feeling of whether or not I thought that Renney was a good coach, but he was a good x's & o's guy and a good man. He, was not a long term solution.

We shall see what more AV brings to the table and if he can take this team to where his Van teams were not able to get to.

Old
04-14-2014, 09:05 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
You are right. Renney was a good fit for that team. Does not change my feeling of whether or not I thought that Renney was a good coach, but he was a good x's & o's guy and a good man. He, was not a long term solution.

We shall see what more AV brings to the table and if he can take this team to where his Van teams were not able to get to.
Seems like no coach is around here.

For me, Sather's roster decisions are what I'd constitute as "not a long term solution"

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 01:11 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
Who was involved in bringing in that depth? The coach has a say
AV had nothing to do with bringing MZA, Kreider, Brass, Dorsett and Moore to New York. It is possible that he wanted Pouliot, Moore Carcillo and Diaz, but othes(Kreider, Brass, MZA, etc) played a more key role in improving our depth.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 01:43 PM
BroadwayHustle

Quote:
AV had nothing to do with bringing MZA, Kreider, Brass, Dorsett and Moore to New York. It is possible that he wanted Pouliot, Moore Carcillo and Diaz, but othes(Kreider, Brass, MZA, etc) played a more key role in improving our depth.
Not even Diaz, Sather said that he wanted to bring in Diaz the past few years but was unavailable or too pricey for his liking.

BroadwayHustle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 02:01 PM
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!

I am so happy to see a team that can win games by scoring 3, 4 or 5 goals, rather than scoring 1 or 2 and praying to god they don't concede goals. This team is offense-oriented with a great defensive core.

Last few years we were a team too focused on defense which was evident with the dump-and-chase approach.

Amazing Kreiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 02:07 PM
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!

Quote:
True, but it's no coincidence that players like Kreider and Zuccarello are thriving under AV while being constantly benched, scratched or sent to Hartford by Torts. He gives the players confidence, which shows in their play.

Our players are no longer afraid to make a mistake since 1 mistake won't cost them their career.

Amazing Kreiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 02:28 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
I think that unless you have a team full of immature kids, if you have substance that SHOULD be the approach. A good system will look good and antics from the coach won't do anything to make it better.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 03:20 PM
JMR27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
I think that unless you have a team full of immature kids, if you have substance that SHOULD be the approach. A good system will look good and antics from the coach won't do anything to make it better.
If wil split the first 10 games, we are a 50 win team.....it's crazy....

JMR27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 03:46 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMR27 View Post
If wil split the first 10 games, we are a 50 win team.....it's crazy....
Not sure that's true actually, that's only 2 more wins. But we ARE a 100 point team.

Old
04-14-2014, 08:30 PM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

He needs to get it done in the postseason. The regular season was nice but he'll be measured by the postseason

DM23BK30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 12:00 AM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
He needs to get it done in the postseason. The regular season was nice but he'll be measured by the postseason
What was AV's training camp motto?

"Clean Slate. Grab it!"

Same goes here starting Thursday.

Make it happen!

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 08:17 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
I agree. Nash and St Louis will be measured by the postseason as well.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 09:18 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
I agree. Nash and St Louis will be measured by the postseason as well.
That is all it counts with them. For the Rangers to have any shot, Henke has to be the best player on the ice every night. However, Nash and St. Louis will need to produce goals. Which means that Nash will need to do what he has not done in the playoffs before and MSL will need to do what he has not done so far.

Old
04-15-2014, 09:23 AM
Ail
Now we wait.

Everything is measured by the post-season because that is the only way anyone can have good careers. Only great players win the 'Cup or score a PPG in the playoffs and only crappy players never win it in their career. It all comes down to this.

Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 09:26 AM
Ail
Now we wait.

Quote:
That is all it counts with them. For the Rangers to have any shot, Henke has to be the best player on the ice every night. However, Nash and St. Louis will need to produce goals. Which means that Nash will need to do what he has not done in the playoffs before and MSL will need to do what he has not done so far.
No, Henrik does not have to be the best player on the ice. He has to be good enough. This team, unlike some others, is not built on Henrik being the best player every night. I'm sorry you feel that way.

Old
04-15-2014, 09:37 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ail View Post
No, Henrik does not have to be the best player on the ice. He has to be good enough. This team, unlike some others, is not built on Henrik being the best player every night. I'm sorry you feel that way.
Maybe, maybe not.

There were an awful lot of people complaining earlier in the year that the core to this team's struggles was Lundqvist not being his usual self. Seems hes still awfully important to this team's chances.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 09:37 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
I don't think it's a stretch to ever say your goalie needs to be the best player on the ice in a playoff series. While there can certainly be exceptions to that and still win, that's always the best opportunity to advance for any team.

And in this series in particular, with the deep roster of Flyer forwards who can score, if McDonagh is anything less than 100% Hank could be seriously tested.

Old
04-15-2014, 09:41 AM
Ail
Now we wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Maybe, maybe not.

There were an awful lot of people complaining earlier in the year that the core to this team's struggles was Lundqvist not being his usual self. Seems hes still awfully important to this team's chances.
Yes and I think part of that was coming off how many seasons of Henrik being "the team" and not knowing what this one was yet. I totally understand that and don't blame anyone for thinking that.

He's important no doubt but he is definitely not going to be required to play out of his mind to only have a shot, or chance.

Old
04-15-2014, 09:43 AM
Ail
Now we wait.

Quote:
I don't think it's a stretch to ever say your goalie needs to be the best player on the ice in a playoff series. While there can certainly be exceptions to that and still win, that's always the best opportunity to advance for any team.

And in this series in particular, with the deep roster of Flyer forwards who can score, if McDonagh is anything less than 100% Hank could be seriously tested.
Hot goalies allow mediocre teams to advance farther than they should. Good teams make up for mediocre goalies.

Old
04-15-2014, 10:08 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Hot goalies allow mediocre teams to advance farther than they should. Good teams make up for mediocre goalies.
Pretty general, but I cannot disagree with that.

In your opinion which one were we in 2011-12?

Old
04-15-2014, 10:25 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Pretty general, but I cannot disagree with that.

In your opinion which one were we in 2011-12?
The first one easily. That was Lundqvist's best playoff AINEC.

Old
04-15-2014, 10:32 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
The first one easily. That was Lundqvist's best playoff AINEC.
I can see why you would say that.

Then again, it's not like Hank carried a seven seed to the ECF or anything. We had the best record in the East that year, two points away from the President's trophy, and as a 1 seed we lost to a 4 seed in the ECF. And a lot of people agree Hank was not great in the Devils series.

Soooooooo it's not quite that black and white after all.