HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thu., Apr. 3, 2014| Blue Jackets 2 at Flyers 0

Old
04-04-2014, 10:12 AM
TheKingPin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
I wasn't blaming Giroux for the recent offensive struggles, I said he cooled off. For one reason or another that's true.

If I'm chief I swap Schenn and G (in terms of line mates not ice time or anything). Either that or re-unite the legion of dumb. They were actually pretty good together.
I think they were good because when hartnell got that demotion he was reminded to start forechecking again and that he is not a sniper. The whole team needs that reminder

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 10:22 AM
Prongo
Beer

Our fan base on here blows. We just can't get along anymore can we eh? Everyones opinion is right and it shall not be taken like it should, as an opinion. Breaks my tiny heart

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 10:25 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Our fan base on here blows. We just can't get along anymore can we eh? Everyones opinion is right and it shall not be taken like it should, as an opinion. Breaks my tiny heart
The problem is there's no middle ground. This team is either the best team in the league, or they're a lottery team. Also, loses in big games are unacceptable, even if the other team is really good too.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 10:32 AM
Swic21

People are crazy to want to play the Pens in the first round. We have had success against them yes. Any team with the best player in the world on their roster is a dangerous team. Personally I would much rather play the Rangers.

Swic21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 10:53 AM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
I wasn't blaming Giroux for the recent offensive struggles, I said he cooled off. For one reason or another that's true.

If I'm chief I swap Schenn and G (in terms of line mates not ice time or anything). Either that or re-unite the legion of dumb. They were actually pretty good together.
Yeah, I knew how you meant it, I was just adding what I thought. I wasn't trying to argue with you.

As for the lines... I keep saying it but I really want to see 10/28/93 19/40/17 9/14/24 36/12/18. Get Vinny back to center, get Schenn with linemates he doesn't have to attempt to carry since he clearly can't, shoot McGinn to the moon, and put Raffl back at 4C since he made that line usable. I honestly have no clue why Berube refused to mix up the lines when they're on a massive drought... even if he did something completely different than what I'm suggesting.

Striiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 10:54 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swic21 View Post
People are crazy to want to play the Pens in the first round. We have had success against them yes. Any team with the best player in the world on their roster is a dangerous team. Personally I would much rather play the Rangers.
I don't know. If I am choosing from the best player in the world who we have been able to handle recently or arguably the best goalie in the league, who we have never really been able to crack and who has owned us recently...I'll take the guy we have been able to handle who is only on the ice for a third of the game over the guy that has essentially dominated us for his entire career and is on the ice every second of the game.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 10:57 AM
BringBackStevens

We have a good but not great team. We are not going to always beat every other good not great team.

The lack of scoring is a little concerning, but this game shouldnt completely wipe out the good vibes after the recent good play.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 10:58 AM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swic21 View Post
Team A- A team we usually beat, we get in their heads, we have a player that suppresses a lot of their offensive talent, they have a ****** goalie, we own their home arena, our team plays at another level against them, and entertaining hockey to watch

Team B- A team we usually lose to, have a goalie we can barely beat, we are on a losing streak in their home arena, our team struggles against them in general, and slow boring games to watch.

... I'd rather play Team A, wanna guess who that is?

That said, playing team B would mean we are in a more secure position as far as standing at the end of the year so I'd rather play them. But as far as match-ups, no.

Old
04-04-2014, 11:01 AM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
I agree with a lot of posts about a lot of players under performing. I think they have lost the way in terms of getting a forecheck going. They think they can fly in on the rush and snipe a goal. Thats a very bad habit. The jackets forechecked, same as the blues. We did a better job of that against the bruins and blues in the that awesome first period. If we get back to that than the schenn line becomes relevant again with schenn, simmonds, and mcginn all the type that need that kind of play to be successful.

Because of that I think Downie has to be in again. He will forecheck.

The PP looks pretty poor too. Im not sure why we have gotten away from the slingshot play to get G or whoever in the zone with the puck. Allows a easy set up.

And then mason. He is definitely not great positionally on his weak side. Chara scored a similar goal to the one last night. He needs a little bruising up in that area as he is still god reflex wise. Id also like him to be more of a standup goalie as everyone shoots high on him. Those things can get worked on in the offseason.

I think we need to take the success that we had this year not as a indication of what may happen in the this playoffs but more that things are trending very well but we still have a lot of things to sure up.
I'm pretty sure they tried that a bunch of times but every single time Giroux passed it to Hartnell, Voracek, or Timonen ****ed it up immediately and they had to reset.

Old
04-04-2014, 11:01 AM
Curufinwe

I'd much rather play the Pens or Rangers than the Bruins.

This team is in danger of not playing anyone in the playoffs, though.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 11:17 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post

It will be a collapse of epic proportions if the Flyers miss the playoffs.

Winning at least three of the remaining six games guarantees a spot. Two wins, coupled by one loss each from Washington and Toronto gets the Flyers in. One win, coupled with two losses each from Toronto and Washington and one loss from New Jersey gets the Flyers in.

04-04-2014, 11:24 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:

Possibility, but not danger yet. If they go 0-3-3 they still have an 80 percent shot at getting in. Even if they go 1-5 they have a 57 percent shot at getting in. While it isn't set in stone, they are still very much in "safe" playoff standing. Now, if they lose the next two in regulation, that will likely change, especially if Toronto and CBJ wins the next two. Toronto even winning out has only a 64 percent shot to get in. Washington is similarly far away at this point. In short, it is definitely possible, but I am not worried at this point about missing the playoffs.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 11:36 AM
MickeyMelchiondo

I was in the building last night, a few thoughts:

-team was just flat last night. #36 seemed like the only one ready to play. It happens, long season.
-the first PP unit, why are #19 and #17 out there together? I know they like #28 on the point, which is fine, but 19+17 is redundant, one of them should be on PP unit 2 without a doubt in my mind.
-#44 should have sat out another game.

How Columbus has 85 points and is in playoff contention is beyond me, they have no real top-end talent [outside of #19] and just seemed like a group of muckers and grinders on every line.

MickeyMelchiondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 11:53 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezax View Post
Guys isn't it obvious what's happening here. Clearly they don't want the Rags (with home ice) in the first rd. They are trying to slot themselves in the top wildcard spot and play the Pens.
The Jackets fanbase would have no objection to a trade, if y'all are up for it. Our season series against the Pens hasn't gone well, and yet they badly need to be sent home early.

Down With Dr. Evil - Fire Kekalainen.
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 11:56 AM
UKFlyers

Quote:

They're not in danger yet. Their chances are near 98%. They still have 3 of the bottom 5 teams in the conference to play, and Pittsburgh who they have a great record against. Plus, Toronto need to go on a tear to give themselves even a small chance, something I really don't think they're capable of after what they went through last month.

The main worry at the minute is that the Flyers slip into the 2nd wildcard spot. I still don't think that's likely, this team has come back from a lot worse positions this year. But they need to up their game and find their offensive game.

UKFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 12:31 PM
GoneFullHextall
rustling jimmies

I doubt they are losing on purpose to get that favorable matchup. especially now where if they cant get out of this skid they could end up with Boston.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 12:33 PM
Hollywood Couturier
Eagles That Quack

Foppa is coming to save the day though. Nothing to worry about.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 12:34 PM
GoneFullHextall
rustling jimmies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMelchiondo View Post

How Columbus has 85 points and is in playoff contention is beyond me, they have no real top-end talent [outside of #19] and just seemed like a group of muckers and grinders on every line.
they play really good team hockey and they have a ton of speed. and they have a really good goaltender.
give them some credit.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 12:37 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
they play really good team hockey and they have a ton of speed. and they have a really good goaltender.
give them some credit.
Columbus is in part a good team because they don't have any elite talent. They're deep, hardworking, and they play defense first. Every player is just another one of the guys there bust his butt that night.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 12:44 PM
Hollywood Couturier
Eagles That Quack

Mentioned earlier in the GDT that Rinaldo was a big Lindros fan. Just saw this video of Rinaldo meeting Lindros after/before the Alumni game.

Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 12:58 PM
Legion of Gloom
Legion of Ghost

vCash: 41874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
Team A- A team we usually beat, we get in their heads, we have a player that suppresses a lot of their offensive talent, they have a ****** goalie, we own their home arena, our team plays at another level against them, and entertaining hockey to watch

Team B- A team we usually lose to, have a goalie we can barely beat, we are on a losing streak in their home arena, our team struggles against them in general, and slow boring games to watch.

... I'd rather play Team A, wanna guess who that is?

That said, playing team B would mean we are in a more secure position as far as standing at the end of the year so I'd rather play them. But as far as match-ups, no.
I will take team C

Legion of Gloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 01:06 PM
onlylordsvsmorebp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
I agree with a lot of posts about a lot of players under performing. I think they have lost the way in terms of getting a forecheck going. They think they can fly in on the rush and snipe a goal. Thats a very bad habit. The jackets forechecked, same as the blues. We did a better job of that against the bruins and blues in the that awesome first period. If we get back to that than the schenn line becomes relevant again with schenn, simmonds, and mcginn all the type that need that kind of play to be successful.

Because of that I think Downie has to be in again. He will forecheck.

The PP looks pretty poor too. Im not sure why we have gotten away from the slingshot play to get G or whoever in the zone with the puck. Allows a easy set up.

And then mason. He is definitely not great positionally on his weak side. Chara scored a similar goal to the one last night. He needs a little bruising up in that area as he is still god reflex wise. Id also like him to be more of a standup goalie as everyone shoots high on him. Those things can get worked on in the offseason.

I think we need to take the success that we had this year not as a indication of what may happen in the this playoffs but more that things are trending very well but we still have a lot of things to sure up.
agree 100% with all of this.against certain teams we seem able to cruise in and snipe goals but against good defensive(boring)teams with really good goalies we need to forecheck.it really is our best chance to score consistently.they have gotten away from it for some reason it should be the main priority.

our pp really is what is worrying the most.we have got to find a way to get it back on track.its one half-ass chance and down the ice lately.

finally mason has let in some backbreaking goals on his weakside lately.he has got to able to hold his ground there.hes big and should be airtight in that position.

onlylordsvsmorebp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 01:47 PM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
Mentioned earlier in the GDT that Rinaldo was a big Lindros fan. Just saw this video of Rinaldo meeting Lindros after/before the Alumni game.

Wow...that's hilarious.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 02:21 PM
Appleyard
HFB Partner

vCash: 250
52-30 shots (Boston)
31-28 shots (St. Louis)
37-27 shots (Columbus)

120-85 shots

40-28 per game over the last 3.

Everyone needs to chill the **** out.

vs 3 playoff teams including the best 2 in the NHL... and:

The goalie with NHLs leading SV% this decade.
A goalie with 7 straight >.915 SV% seasons, Vezina trophy 1st team allstar.
Reigning Vezina trophy goalie.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 02:27 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Egg Invictus

Yeah, this isn't a big deal.

If they come out as flat next time, that's gonna start being a big deal.