HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Worst GM in the league

Closed Thread

Old
10-01-2003, 02:19 PM
HotToddy

vCash: 500
Worst GM in the league

Now that Boucher is left unprotected and considering what Phoenix gave up for him, I am ready to declare that Mike Barnett is the worst Gm in the league taking the title from Bobby Clarke.

Trading Letowski for Pederson and Berehowski - Why?
Trading a good young prospect Abid for a tool in Hrdina - Again Why?
Trading Briere for Gratton,- no rhyme or reason there.
Trading Markov for Tanabe?
Trading long life leader Numminen for Mike Sillinger
Signing Cleary, Lemieux?

I think the case is pretty clear, the sad thing is Cliff Fletcher had re-built that team in one summer and along comes Gretxky's agent buddy with a clueless agenda.

Old
10-01-2003, 02:33 PM
PigeonCamera

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotToddy
Now that Boucher is left unprotected and considering what Phoenix gave up for him, I am ready to declare that Mike Barnett is the worst Gm in the league taking the title from Bobby Clarke.

Trading Letowski for Pederson and Berehowski - Why?
Trading a good young prospect Abid for a tool in Hrdina - Again Why?
Trading Briere for Gratton,- no rhyme or reason there.
Trading long life leader Numminen for Mike Sillinger
Signing Cleary, Lemieux?

I think the case is pretty clear, the sad thing is Cliff Fletcher had re-built that team in one summer and along comes Gretxky's agent buddy with a clueless agenda.
Semantics are a wonderful thing.
1. You mean the Letowski that Vancouver thought was so valuable that they didn't bother qualifying him?
2. Hrdina is a big centre who dominates on the draws. He's had decent stats, and is excellent defensively. Abid has been through the draft twice, and still hasn't stuck anywhere. He could end up being a great young player, but has proved squat so far.
3. Briere for Gratton. Stinky. Stinky. Totally agree there.
4. Markov for Tanabe. Tanabe has the tools to turn into a Tom Poti clone...big offensive upside. Markov is a very good defenseman who wanted a significant raise...
5. Numminen...agree with his leadership and great career, but he was on his last legs. I'm not a big Sillinger fan either, but Numminen was very much on the decline.

My point is that he's surely made some rotten moves, but I think there are several managers out there who are equally bad and worse.

Old
10-01-2003, 02:40 PM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Quote:
But you can't hold that against him. Not trading someone just because you gave up a lot for him isn't that smart, depending on the team's situation. If he needs to be traded, then he should be traded, regardless of what was given up for him.

Old
10-01-2003, 03:26 PM
Hellström

Send a message via ICQ to Hellström
Quote:
The trade wasn´t Markov for Tanabe.

"Danny Markov got traded to Carolina by Phoenix with a conditional 4th-round draft choice in the 2004 Entry Draft for David Tanabe and Igor Knyazev, June 21, 2003."

Knyazev + Tanabe for Markov + 4th is a solid deal, especially if the team is not able to come to terms with a player (Markov in this case).

I´m not proving Barnett is good or something like that, just pointing out that the deal was not a Markov-Tanabe straight up deal.

Old
10-01-2003, 04:11 PM
jadeddog

yeah there isnt ANY argument as to who the worst GM in the league is IMO... its clarke, and will be clarke until he FINALLY gets fired

Old
10-01-2003, 04:16 PM
Edge

i dunno love him or hate him they at least get to the playoffs.

sather has to be near the top of that list. not even god knows what he is doing anymore.

Old
10-01-2003, 04:32 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Personally, I rate plenty of GMs way below Clarke. He's had more than his fair share of mis-steps, but puts together a perennial contender while building one of the best group of young players in the league (Gagne, Williams, Pitkanen, Handzus, Woywitka, Somik, Vandermeer...)

He's better than Garnett, Rutherford, Dudley, Feaster, O'Connell, and Smithov...probably a few more, too...

Old
10-01-2003, 05:14 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Bobby Clarke is still the worst in my books.
A. Oates for M. Ouellette, a 1st a 2nd and a 3rd?
then putting him on waivers?

honorable mention goes to Slats as a Ranger. Those signings of Kasperitus and Holik made me laugh rather uncontrollably.

Old
10-01-2003, 06:39 PM
HockeySense85

WOW!

How can everyone forget Mad Mike on the Island???
Why is he still the GM???

Old
10-01-2003, 07:39 PM
aki

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil_85
1Tanabe has the tools to turn into a Tom Poti clone.
You maen an overrated, lazy, petulant *****?

Are you trying to stir the pot by bringing up Poti's name on this board?

Old
10-01-2003, 09:11 PM
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeySense85
WOW!

How can everyone forget Mad Mike on the Island???
Why is he still the GM???
Yeah, I'd put Milbury at the top too.

He must have a photo of the owner making sweet love to a farm animal, that's the only thing that makes sense to me...

Old
10-01-2003, 09:20 PM
Laperriere22*

Mike Smith is the worst. Look at what he's done for the Hawks lately. You can find guys with poorer histories I'm sure, but if we're talking right now, Mike Smith is the worst guy going. It's like he's gets a bonus from Wirtz for sabotaging his own team with his moves.

Old
10-02-2003, 12:38 AM
JofaPads

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laperriere22
Mike Smith is the worst. Look at what he's done for the Hawks lately. You can find guys with poorer histories I'm sure, but if we're talking right now, Mike Smith is the worst guy going. It's like he's gets a bonus from Wirtz for sabotaging his own team with his moves.
I agree Mike Smith sucks its like he tries to build the worst team possible.

Old
10-02-2003, 03:48 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by aki
You maen an overrated, lazy, petulant *****?

Are you trying to stir the pot by bringing up Poti's name on this board?
No... more like a very talented offensive defenseman who can quarterback powerplay.

Old
10-02-2003, 06:09 PM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laperriere22
I never really followed the Hawks that much. I took them in our EHM league. I must agree - Seabrook and Ruutu are about the only half-decent prospects, there's very little youth up forward, and their blueline is average at best. All in all, a fairly mediocre team. At least the Isles have Peca, Yashin, Hammer, Niinimaa, Aucoin...

Old
10-02-2003, 06:23 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
Was it Barrett that traded Rickard Wallin for Joe Juneau? Hindsight is 20/20 but Minnesota freaking ripped the Yotes off in that trade. Juneau soon bolted for the Canadians for 'future considerations'. I mean Wallin was a late bloomer but the guy is like the Sedins. He plays all three positions, and you can build a team around this guy.

But yeah I think the Hawks get it. They lost a bunch of superstars, almost lost one of the better players in the world due to contract problems, and have player problems with alcohol.

Old
10-03-2003, 06:49 PM
easton122

Send a message via AIM to easton122 Send a message via MSN to easton122
The hatred of Clarke is no more than a bandwagon thing. A lot of people dislike Bobby Clarke but they are too bull-headed to see all the good he has done for the Flyers. He has had some bad trades but has definitely made up for it with some other deals.

Bad Trades
Adam Oates for Oullet and some picks

Good Trades
Bag of Pucks for Amonte

Handzus and Esche for Boucher

Langkow for 1st Rounder (Carter) and a 2nd

Fedotenko and picks for a future Norris candidate

And im not even talking about his drafting skills we have had good picks in Gagne, Williams, Oullet, Woywitka, Carter, and Richards who all look like better players then where they were picked. Clarkes biggest fault is his PR. He is a complete moron when it comes to that and if I was Snider I would lock him in a room and have somebody else do the talking for him. He consistently builds a contender and does the best he can. The Adam Oates trade looked like a final step to a stanley cup team when he traded for the NHL's leader in assists. Do you guys think the guy with the most assists on a playoff team would come cheaply.

Clarke is by far not one of the worst GMs and even though I have followed him for years and completely biased towards him I consider him to be a top GM in this league and wouldn't choose anyone else to replace him.

Closed Thread