HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Out of Town Thread LXXIX - All News & Talk from Around the League

Closed Thread

Old
04-07-2014, 08:36 PM
Teufelsdreck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
Hopefully the Jets can beat the Laffs tonight, I don't like how close they are to getting a playoff spot
Even if the Leafs win they still have opportunities to eliminate themselves. (I meant eliminate in the sense of excretion.)

Last edited by Teufelsdreck: 04-07-2014 at 10:12 PM.
Old
04-07-2014, 10:36 PM
MasterDecoy
Lo Pan's lovechild

i'd definitely give away eller + for kadri. maybe even our first this year. i love that sneaky little *******...

Old
04-08-2014, 12:10 AM
SirClintonPortis
ProudCapitalsTraitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76ftw View Post
Kadri for Bealieu + would be nice.
Beaulieu for a still-developing forward straight up is not a good deal and weakens our D prospect pool. With Markov nearing the end of his career, we need to keep our Dmen with point production potential unless we are getting a very well-established player in return. That because a team with two point producing Dmen (who hold well in their own end) can generate wins and false playoff hopes even with a lackluster forward corps.

Old
04-08-2014, 12:43 AM
BiggestLeafsFanEVER*

ha ha my granddad is a long time habs season ticket holder and had my aunt help him do a text message from his phone to me to laugh at the leafs missing the playoffs while the habs made it.

on a happier note, i stood up for the habs and have convinced my grand dad that galchenyuk is actually a better player for the habs in the long term than desharnais.

it's actually funny - earlier in the season my granddad stood up for desharnais b/c he was a francophone - but now that desharnais is playing good by granddad doesn't care anymore and just wants to see more of galchenyuk ... who my granddad keeps on thinking is "russian" ...even though i told him that's not the case (not that there's anything wrong with being russian at all).

so...in conclusion - my own granddad is now trolling me for being a leafs fan; my granddad has rejected his beloved francophone desharnais for galchenyuk; my granddad thinks he's being politically correct by favouring galchenyuk the russian. and i'm spending time educating my granddad about habs players.

my granddad is so excited about the playoffs - so it's all good

Old
04-08-2014, 01:25 AM
True Tick and Tin

cool granddad story

Old
04-08-2014, 02:17 AM
SB164

Deadspin: The Maple Leafs' Collapse Is A Victory For Rationality

The summer was spent with battle lines being drawn. On one side, bloggers like stat evangelist Tyler Dellow and the folks at Pension Plan Puppets, all but screaming that GM Dave Nonis's roster and coach Randy Carlyle's systems were set up for failure. On the other side, the Leafs themselves, contemptuously dismissive of so-called "fancy stats," and their cheerleaders in the Toronto media, like TSN's Leafs mouthpiece Darren Dreger and the Sun's Steve Simmons.

http://deadspin.com/the-maple-leafs-...48856/+barryap

Old
04-08-2014, 02:51 AM
Ivan13
Just a flesh wound!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
What do mean?
He gets too caught up in his shenanigans from time to time, I personally like players who bring an edge to the game, but you have to be smart about it, he (for now at least) can't find the balance between focusing on playing hockey and the sideshow stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
He needs to balance his agitating game. There are too many times where he's focused on getting an opponent all riled up with a late hit or with stick work than making the "right" play. In that sense he's like Phaneuf who will make a big hit, but forget about the puck and playing defense afterwards.

Let's not forget that he's being coached by Carlyle who is known to promote goonery. With a good coach who is good at developing and focuses on hockey, Kadri could be a really good player (he already is in some sense).
Agreed.

Old
04-08-2014, 09:13 AM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: Hearing whispers that perhaps change is coming sooner rather than later with the Canucks, perhaps as soon as today or tomorrow...

Old
04-08-2014, 09:14 AM
PricePkPatch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZARTONK View Post
@Real_ESPNLeBrun: Hearing whispers that perhaps change is coming sooner rather than later with the Canucks, perhaps as soon as today or tomorrow...
Not really surprising..

I hope that they will go through the same process as we did; careful hiring of new GM.

But man, are they in a horrible situation.

Old
04-08-2014, 09:17 AM
Tuggy

Gillis almost certainly out the door.

Old
04-08-2014, 09:24 AM
Alexdaman
Wolfman

So I guess that tonight we are cheering for the leafs?

Old
04-08-2014, 09:25 AM
PricePkPatch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
So I guess that tonight we are cheering for the leafs?
I've puked enough. So no.

Old
04-08-2014, 09:40 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Gillis almost certainly out the door.
Gillis, Tortellini, they need to clean house. Going to be an interesting summer in Vancouver, they're going to be very busy on draft weekend

Old
04-08-2014, 09:57 AM
Ivan13
Just a flesh wound!

They're in a tough spot thanks to all those NTC's and NMC's they have, Hamhuis will probably stay, twins aren't moving, Kesler has 6 teams on his list, Bieksa reportedly said he's not interested in moving, Garrison took a discount to sign there and has a NTC, Edler has a NTC etc, players they can move without restrictions are the ones they should keep and build around. There's a giant mess there and it won't be easy to fix it.

Old
04-08-2014, 10:00 AM
Markov4Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
They're in a tough spot thanks to all those NTC's and NMC's they have, Hamhuis will probably stay, twins aren't moving, Kesler has 6 teams on his list, Bieksa reportedly said he's not interested in moving, Garrison took a discount to sign there and has a NTC, Edler has a NTC etc, players they can move without restrictions are the ones they should keep and build around. There's a giant mess there and it won't be easy to fix it.
I agree. Difference btwn when MTL "tanked" for a season, as opposed to Toronto and Vancouver was that we weren't committed to so many terrible contracts. Gomez was bought out as well as Kaberle. Bergevin managed to get rid of expensive contracts like Cole via smart trade. Also, old management managed to stock up on a boat load of picks, which deepened our prospect pool. I actually think Toronto is in a worse situation than Vancouver just because of the Phaneuf and Clarkson deals. Not to mention I wouldn't be surprised if they threw 5 million in Dave Bolland's direction this summer...

Old
04-08-2014, 10:01 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Didn't torts get a 5 year deal? Wow.

Old
04-08-2014, 10:03 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Kadri View Post
Beaulieu for a still-developing forward straight up is not a good deal and weakens our D prospect pool. With Markov nearing the end of his career, we need to keep our Dmen with point production potential unless we are getting a very well-established player in return. That because a team with two point producing Dmen (who hold well in their own end) can generate wins and false playoff hopes even with a lackluster forward corps.
Well established player would raise the asking price.

Old
04-08-2014, 10:25 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
And yet, in 10/11, everybody was crying regarding the huge beatdowns the team suffered at the hands of the Bruins (both the 8-6 and the 8-0 game), or when in March we had a 3-game stretch WITHOUT A SINGLE GOAL SCORED.

The 10/11 team looked even weaker in play than the current one.

And I personally think the jury is still out on our last playoff against Ottawa. It's more than possible we actually see that it was a fluke caused by temporary transcendant goaltending, and that we had sound rationales.
That's the point, Martin wasn't exactly a great coach and his teams didn't exactly look good on ice, yet he still won more than Therrien especially when the going got tough. Everyone is fine with doing a revisionist analysis and dismiss that success to be a fluke/carried by goaltending and that this team is playing completely different....yet:

5 on 5 ratio
10/11: 1.01
13/14: 0.99

GF/game
10/11: 2.60
13/14: 2.61

GA/game
10/11: 2.51 (with Price had 2.35)
13/14: 2.48 (with Price has 2.37)

Shots for/game
10/11: 31.7
13/14: 28.5

Shots against/game
10/11: 31.0
13/14: 30.9

Regulation/OT wins
10/11: 41
13/14: 39

Like I said, I'm not saying Martin is some sort of elite coach...but IMO he did just as well in the regular with much less talent and had success in the playoffs with that talent. Championing MT as doing a good job is way too soon...especially without seeing what happens with playoffs. Just like his losing may be a 'fluke', his winning can be too. Have you ever seen a season where the Habs had more breaks (be it offside goals, no goal calls for opponent, crazy breakdowns by opponent, habs breaking down but opposition goalie lets in next Habs shot, timely 3rd period powerplays, actually winning in the shootout, ridiculously high shooting%, doubled in shots regularly by even lottery pick teams, etc)?

I also find it interesting you would suggest the acquisition of Kadri yet not Kane. Kadri has had more than his share of 'character' issues and would likely struggle/constantly benched under MT.

Last edited by Watsatheo: 04-08-2014 at 10:31 AM.
Old
04-08-2014, 10:36 AM
PricePkPatch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
I also find it interesting you would suggest the acquisition of Kadri yet not Kane. Kadri has had more than his share of 'character' issues and would likely struggle/constantly benched under MT.
I am not pushing for either. I was just raising the possibility, and inquiring about Kadri's quality

Old
04-08-2014, 10:36 AM
Ivan13
Just a flesh wound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
It's believed that it was Aquilini who signed him to that deal, I think he stays just because of the insane amount of money they got tied up to him.

Old
04-08-2014, 10:48 AM
PricePkPatch*

haha. On the trade board, I was inquiring to Leaf fans about the value of Kadri, and then wondered if Gorges would be a good price for them; as he offers stuff they really, really need as a reliable shutdown D as well as someone who offers good character in their locker room.

They told me that they can always acquire character.

My answer: "Yhea, sure. You can always sign a UFA that offers intangibles. How has that worked for the Leafs so far?"

Old
04-08-2014, 10:50 AM
One Less Louise
Dale Weise it !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Gillis, Tortellini, they need to clean house. Going to be an interesting summer in Vancouver, they're going to be very busy on draft weekend
Aren't they all signed to 2-3 year deals.. so much money wasted. Owner must not be happy.

Old
04-08-2014, 11:02 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post

The summer was spent with battle lines being drawn. On one side, bloggers like stat evangelist Tyler Dellow and the folks at Pension Plan Puppets, all but screaming that GM Dave Nonis's roster and coach Randy Carlyle's systems were set up for failure. On the other side, the Leafs themselves, contemptuously dismissive of so-called "fancy stats," and their cheerleaders in the Toronto media, like TSN's Leafs mouthpiece Darren Dreger and the Sun's Steve Simmons.

Interesting article.

For me the turning point on stats was a few years ago when I made a thread on Advanced stats. Somebody posted a link that revealed how Cup winners and contending teams had strong "possession" numbers and the correlation between poor teams and those numbers. The numbers showed correlation that went back years... It was very cut and dry and the correlations were extremely strong. That was enough for me.

The stats are still in their infancy. And I think there's some question about how effective they are in predicting the success of individual players but on the whole, it seems to show a good correlation between possession and success at the very least.

Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 04-08-2014 at 11:09 AM.
Old
04-08-2014, 11:18 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
I heard he has 4 yrs left at 2.0M per season...and Gillis is also owed over 10M left on his deal...
Can you imagine if both are let go? 18M over the next few years for 2 guys who are not even working for you??

Old
04-08-2014, 11:23 AM
Smokey Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post

Great read lol

Quote:
In what can only be considered trolling, the Sun ran a story in late February claiming the "stats" indicated the Leafs were poised for a late playoff run. Those stats? The Leafs' post-Feb. 1 records from seasons dating back to 2006.

Closed Thread