HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Olesz signs!

Closed Thread

Old
08-18-2005, 03:37 PM
m2k2p

vCash: 500
Olesz signs!

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/panther...anth_0818.html

The negotiations for Olesz, who has played most of the past two seasons in the senior Czech League, heated up after the NHL and the Czech Federation agreed to an Aug. 24 deadline for signing European draftees.

Olesz, selected seventh overall, scored seven goals for the Czech Republic in last season's World Junior Championships, tying much-hyped Alexander Ovechkin of Washington and Jeff Carter of Philadelphia for the tournament lead.

"He's going to be a very good player. He's got the attributes to play the game," Keenan said of Olesz. "If we sign him, our expectation is he would play in the NHL (this year)."

Walsh had expressed frustration with the Panthers' low offers this week, but said the two sides are close now.

"I've had several discussions with Mike Keenan," Walsh said. "We've exchanged written proposals and we've made progress, and I'm hopeful a deal is going to get done in the next few days."

Old
08-18-2005, 03:39 PM
Dropkick Alex

Great news, maybe he even cracks the lineup on the 4th or maybe even 3rd line now.

Old
08-18-2005, 03:44 PM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Wow, I'm surprised to hear Keenan say he thinks Olesz could play in the big club this year.

Things are starting to look a little crowded on this team...should make for a rather competetive training camp.

Old
08-18-2005, 03:47 PM
m2k2p

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatmanReturns
Wow, I'm surprised to hear Keenan say he thinks Olesz could play in the big club this year.

Things are starting to look a little crowded on this team...should make for a rather competetive training camp.
indeed, young players are going to really have to earn their spots this season with all the vets in camp. It will be interesting to watch. When does camp begin exactly?

Old
08-18-2005, 03:56 PM
Acadmus

I'll be happy to see it when they sign Olesz...I'd hate to see him wallowing on the third or 4th line in Czech again because he's down the pecking order in seniority for the top lines. It'd be a waste and could ruin him.

'Course, he'll be 3rd or 4th line with the Panthers anyway

Old
08-18-2005, 04:16 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
I too am surprised that Keenan thinks Olesz will make the team this year. I would rather see him spend a year in the AHL personally because it's going to be awfully tough to make the team this year with all the players we have signed.

Old
08-18-2005, 05:57 PM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
I'd rather him see lead his Czech team than goto AHL to play for some others teams AHL team.

Old
08-18-2005, 06:01 PM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo
I'd rather him see lead his Czech team than goto AHL to play for some others teams AHL team.
He won't be leading his Czech team anywhere. It has been pointed out that he is playing on the 3rd and 4th line of a mens league which could hamper his development. I'd rather see him developing on the top line of a league in North America as opposed to simply struggling for ice time in the Czech Republic.

Old
08-18-2005, 06:46 PM
m2k2p

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=133903

He signed

Old
08-18-2005, 07:11 PM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
beautimus!

Can't wait to see him on the ice!

Old
08-18-2005, 07:16 PM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint
He won't be leading his Czech team anywhere. It has been pointed out that he is playing on the 3rd and 4th line of a mens league which could hamper his development. I'd rather see him developing on the top line of a league in North America as opposed to simply struggling for ice time in the Czech Republic.
He'll be playing 3rd-4th line here if not in AHL. In czech he would be #1 player on his team this season with no NHL players there.

Old
08-18-2005, 07:17 PM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Gotta admit.. Cant wait to see what Martin can do with this kid.. Guess what? ANOTHER CENTER

Old
08-18-2005, 07:21 PM
CatscratchFever
Cup or bust!

Send a message via AIM to CatscratchFever
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2k2p
indeed, young players are going to really have to earn their spots this season with all the vets in camp. It will be interesting to watch. When does camp begin exactly?
Sept. 12, the day after my B-day! I'm psyched for camp to begin.

Old
08-18-2005, 07:25 PM
m2k2p

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatscratchFever
Sept. 12, the day after my B-day! I'm psyched for camp to begin.
I am gonna try to check out as much camp as I can this year, it will be a very intense camp this season with all the new vets on this squad, as well as prospects like Stewart, Campbell, and Olesz going for roster spots. It will be intriguing to see how Martin runs this team too. Can't wait.

Old
08-18-2005, 07:33 PM
Jakethesnake

Quote:
I am gonna try to check out as much camp as I can this year, it will be a very intense camp this season with all the new vets on this squad, as well as prospects like Stewart, Campbell, and Olesz going for roster spots. It will be intriguing to see how Martin runs this team too. Can't wait.
Whats this??? I fan that CANT WAIT to see these guys in action??? Surely thats a mistake

Old
08-18-2005, 07:39 PM
Jakethesnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatmanReturns

Thats a realy good thing. Check the thread "where florida stands". I think our lineup will be as posted in that thread with Olez or Stewart manning the final spot.......I think its a dam good lineup with legitimate players on each line (Hagman on the 4th

Old
08-18-2005, 08:03 PM
m2k2p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakethesnake
Whats this??? I fan that CANT WAIT to see these guys in action??? Surely thats a mistake
my bad, I meant to say.... I want to see these guys fail miserably because i don't like the management and it's more important to focus my energy towards the negative because I live in the Past you see. I can't look forward to the future, I have to spend my time contemplating all the bad decisions and criticize every move because it is so utterly important in my life .

I don't like to watch hockey, I just want to complain about it on the interweb every chance I get. Who cares about the actual game and action, it is so much more fun to nitpick. I want to over-analyze every little thing too, that's soooo fun. Of course, if the Panthers did win the cup I would say I was with them all along....of course.. It would be un-south florida of me if I was to be optimistic you know ?

Old
08-18-2005, 08:50 PM
PanthersFanatic12

olesz

by the way Mogo , Olesz can play wing and center, keenen mention it in an article

Old
08-18-2005, 08:56 PM
Dropkick Alex

Quote:
HERE HERE!!!

Old
08-18-2005, 10:22 PM
Twist and Shout

WORD UP. He's gonna prove his doubters round. Olesz will dominate

Old
08-18-2005, 10:38 PM
Heimy

I wonder which forwards videos he was assigned to study.

Old
08-18-2005, 10:49 PM
mikefavata
A.I.M.

A+ Mr. Keenan, keep up the good work!

I'm looking forward to seeing this kid play.

Old
08-18-2005, 10:55 PM
IceKatsRHot

Keenan wasn't going to mess up this one, wonder how much time he signed him before the deadline ended?

Old
08-19-2005, 12:11 AM
JonathanHuberdoh
Maybe.....next year?

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
Mr. Keenan has an ace up his sleave...

Old
08-19-2005, 02:51 AM
Crossbar

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/h...ports-panthers

Quote:
Keenan worked hard at Olesz's contract and was able to sign him without agreeing to any "A" or "B" incentive bonuses that have driven up the price of several entry-level players over the past eight years.

Besides Olesz, who will attend the Panthers' rookie tournament Sept. 5 in Ottawa, other rookies expected to compete for a roster spot are right wing Anthony Stewart and left wing Gregory Campbell.
Good news indeed!

Closed Thread