HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Craig Berube - The Smartest Guy in the Room

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-01-2014, 12:35 PM
  #1
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW
 
ShawnTHW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 8,888
vCash: 500
Craig Berube - The Smartest Guy in the Room

Believe it or not, Craig Berube is one of the most brilliant coaches in the NHL. Here's why:

http://thehockeywriters.com/berube-s...t-guy-in-room/

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 12:48 PM
  #2
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,878
vCash: 500
Oh god, this article mentions accountability. The masses will flock.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 01:05 PM
  #3
ihatebraydenschenn
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: SunnyvaleTrailerPark
Country: Canada
Posts: 984
vCash: 500
Can anyone explain the system he implemented? And how it's different than the system Lavi had in place?

ihatebraydenschenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 01:08 PM
  #4
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,878
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by galvo View Post
Can anyone explain the system he implemented? And how it's different than the system Lavi had in place?
Lavy uses the left wing lock. Also his break out of the zone is to send it up the boards to the winger where he would then play the puck to the center cutting up the middle. That forward would then have to catch up to the play. You need speed and to be in shape with both systems.

You actually see the Flyers now break out the zone from deeper and also through the middle without the board play. Forwards come down further as well in our zone. Lavy was always known for being an offensive minded coach. Berube makes the team concentrate on making offensive from defense pretty much.

__________________
#BobbyRyan #SheaWeber #MikeBabcock #RyanO'Reilly
Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 01:11 PM
  #5
Toonces
The beer kitty
 
Toonces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New Jersey
Country: Ireland
Posts: 3,676
vCash: 500
Great article, though one point I feel was missed. Berube seems like a great X and O guy too. There is a bias toward former "goons" that they're all idiots, or possess a low hockey IQ, but this is more often not the case. A good number of these guys are incredibly intelligent, and since they don't possess the skill set to get a regular job in the NHL in a scoring capacity, they identify, and do whatever it take to get, and stay in the league. Further, all that watching, analyzing, rubs off on you, and makes you a student of the game.

Plenty of players with the talent to succeed are bad coaches, we've seen countless examples of this, and will continue to as long as the game is around. They played the game based on instinct, athleticism, etc, and this does not always translate to being a good coach. There are hundreds of players who possess the same skill set, if not better than the Chief did, but they are not able to stick around like he was able to because they didn't understand the game, and/or weren't willing to make the same sacrifices to stick around and excel, and that's part of what make him an effective coach.

TLDR version: Breaking news, former goons are usually pretty smart people and can be good coaches.

Toonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 01:14 PM
  #6
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,517
vCash: 500
Good choice to post this on a day where he starts Emery.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 01:20 PM
  #7
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,422
vCash: 500
Lavi was a stubborn dude and his main motivational ploys were speeches, yelling and smashing things. His act became stale and teams figured out his system especially when he lost some players that helped implement his system and gained others that weren't as well suited. The players also seemed to have tired of his act. Dude should have been canned in the offseason like I and plenty of other people argued until it became self-evident he was done here. His handling of Couturier and B Schenn's development as time went on was a crime against humanity...

Berube has impressed me with what he has done with this group. What I like and what annoyed me about Lavi is that Berube knows what he has and maximizes its full potential for the most part. He is still new and some of his personnel moves at times are off but got to give credit where credit is due.

This team has holes yet he has got them playing .600 hockey during his brief tenure. He must be doing something right.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 01:20 PM
  #8
bennysflyers16
Registered User
 
bennysflyers16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,655
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Good choice to post this on a day where he starts Emery.
No ****

And I assume this weekend he gets another start too

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 01:23 PM
  #9
chupanibre
Registirad Uzer
 
chupanibre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Bologna, ITA
Country: Italy
Posts: 1,003
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by galvo View Post
Can anyone explain the system he implemented? And how it's different than the system Lavi had in place?
Your Avatar Pic is gunna give me an epileptic fit dude

chupanibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 01:23 PM
  #10
bennysflyers16
Registered User
 
bennysflyers16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,655
vCash: 50
Who was in the room, Jack Edwards and Bob Errey ?

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 01:25 PM
  #11
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonces View Post
Great article, though one point I feel was missed. Berube seems like a great X and O guy too. There is a bias toward former "goons" that they're all idiots, or possess a low hockey IQ, but this is more often not the case. A good number of these guys are incredibly intelligent, and since they don't possess the skill set to get a regular job in the NHL in a scoring capacity, they identify, and do whatever it take to get, and stay in the league. Further, all that watching, analyzing, rubs off on you, and makes you a student of the game.

Plenty of players with the talent to succeed are bad coaches, we've seen countless examples of this, and will continue to as long as the game is around. They played the game based on instinct, athleticism, etc, and this does not always translate to being a good coach. There are hundreds of players who possess the same skill set, if not better than the Chief did, but they are not able to stick around like he was able to because they didn't understand the game, and/or weren't willing to make the same sacrifices to stick around and excel, and that's part of what make him an effective coach.

TLDR version: Breaking news, former goons are usually pretty smart people and can be good coaches.
It's akin to teachers who are know it alls and say stuff like it's easy for me and it should be for you. They are subject matter experts but lousy teachers. The best teachers are those that are always learning themselves not the ones who think they know it all already. Like you noted...Berube had to continuously think the game to keep his job. He wasn't a natural talent like Gretzky on the ice. Gretzky sucks as a coach because he's like that teacher that could do it all and expects others to do the same out of thin air..

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 01:51 PM
  #12
Curufinwe
Registered User
 
Curufinwe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 7,678
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
No ****

And I assume this weekend he gets another start too
All his recent starts have been against Western teams and he's 2-1 in those four games.

I can see Mase playing both games on the weekend since the Sunday game is at night.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 03:04 PM
  #13
Larry44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,118
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPerspective View Post
It's akin to teachers who are know it alls and say stuff like it's easy for me and it should be for you. They are subject matter experts but lousy teachers. The best teachers are those that are always learning themselves not the ones who think they know it all already. Like you noted...Berube had to continuously think the game to keep his job. He wasn't a natural talent like Gretzky on the ice. Gretzky sucks as a coach because he's like that teacher that could do it all and expects others to do the same out of thin air..
I really like the job Berube's doing. I wonder about the dynamics under Lavy. Chief was an assistant hired by the org, not by Lavy. Was he arguing with Lavy about systems, or just doing his job biding his time knowing he was the org man in waiting?

Last year, when we should have been tanking, they started playing a system much more like the current one, and won. Was that at Chief's instigation? Did the team then realize Lavy's system was stupid (too spread out, no gap control, no puck support) and that's was caused the early dive?

As soon as Lavy was gone, it turned around pretty quickly. A lot of the bad start is on Giroux's hand, but not all of it. As soon as the wingers stopped hanging around for stretch passes at the other blueline, they started winning. They play as a five man group up and down the ice. Under Lavy they were so spread out the D were too far behind to be part of the play, and too isolated after breakdowns.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 03:13 PM
  #14
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,517
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
No ****

And I assume this weekend he gets another start too
I was being sarcastic. Mason is at the 57 game mark, I doubt Berube wants him at the 65 game mark heading into the playoffs.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 03:50 PM
  #15
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
I really like the job Berube's doing. I wonder about the dynamics under Lavy. Chief was an assistant hired by the org, not by Lavy. Was he arguing with Lavy about systems, or just doing his job biding his time knowing he was the org man in waiting?

Last year, when we should have been tanking, they started playing a system much more like the current one, and won. Was that at Chief's instigation? Did the team then realize Lavy's system was stupid (too spread out, no gap control, no puck support) and that's was caused the early dive?

As soon as Lavy was gone, it turned around pretty quickly. A lot of the bad start is on Giroux's hand, but not all of it. As soon as the wingers stopped hanging around for stretch passes at the other blueline, they started winning. They play as a five man group up and down the ice. Under Lavy they were so spread out the D were too far behind to be part of the play, and too isolated after breakdowns.
To me it was pretty obvious that the Flyers brass was trying to insulate both Lavi and Bryz. Bryz was a mistake from the start and Lavi became a mistake who was kept for far too long mostly because of the precedent of getting ridding of coaches too often. This is what irked me with management. They didn't want to let go of their mistakes when the timing necessitated it and it cost the team in other ways including missing the playoffs and losing players like Bob.

I know Berube probably wasn't fond of Lavi's motivational style since he said when he was hired that "you can't yell at these guys." Also, the defensive system that is currently being employed was instituted when Paddock came to also help Lavi whose run and gun style wasn't working because of personnel issues and also because teams were on to it. He was labeled the "eye in the sky" and both Paddock and Berube were supposedly the impetus behind the extra wrinkle of D that proved successful for a stint at the end of last season. Then came camp this season and the team was not conditioned properly and didn't seem to be motivated by Lavi's antics any longer. They even returned to their old predictable attack attack Lavi system that exposed them to defensive breakdowns against hard and fast forechecking teams. Players were playing as individuals and not supporting each other and they were getting frustrated.

Berube was promoted because he knew where the zombies were buried and to reinstitute the Paddock and Berube system...so far he's got them moving their feet and playing more of a complete game. Remains to be seen how sustainable it will be and what will get exposed in the playoffs if they make it. The goaltender will also be key.....as I've said..if Mason's ceiling is Biron-like..it won't be good enough to carry the Flyers beyond maybe 1 series (two if lucky) if some of their holes are exposed in the playoffs. Should be interesting..

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 04:34 PM
  #16
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW
 
ShawnTHW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 8,888
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPerspective View Post
To me it was pretty obvious that the Flyers brass was trying to insulate both Lavi and Bryz. Bryz was a mistake from the start and Lavi became a mistake who was kept for far too long mostly because of the precedent of getting ridding of coaches too often. This is what irked me with management. They didn't want to let go of their mistakes when the timing necessitated it and it cost the team in other ways including missing the playoffs and losing players like Bob.

I know Berube probably wasn't fond of Lavi's motivational style since he said when he was hired that "you can't yell at these guys." Also, the defensive system that is currently being employed was instituted when Paddock came to also help Lavi whose run and gun style wasn't working because of personnel issues and also because teams were on to it. He was labeled the "eye in the sky" and both Paddock and Berube were supposedly the impetus behind the extra wrinkle of D that proved successful for a stint at the end of last season. Then came camp this season and the team was not conditioned properly and didn't seem to be motivated by Lavi's antics any longer. They even returned to their old predictable attack attack Lavi system that exposed them to defensive breakdowns against hard and fast forechecking teams. Players were playing as individuals and not supporting each other and they were getting frustrated.

Berube was promoted because he knew where the zombies were buried and to reinstitute the Paddock and Berube system...so far he's got them moving their feet and playing more of a complete game. Remains to be seen how sustainable it will be and what will get exposed in the playoffs if they make it. The goaltender will also be key.....as I've said..if Mason's ceiling is Biron-like..it won't be good enough to carry the Flyers beyond maybe 1 series (two if lucky) if some of their holes are exposed in the playoffs. Should be interesting..
Well said.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 10:07 PM
  #17
markzab
Registered User
 
markzab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA.
Country: United States
Posts: 4,368
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to markzab
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Good choice to post this on a day where he starts Emery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
No ****

And I assume this weekend he gets another start too
I laughed when I read these just now after seeing Emery basically threw a shutout minus the SO loss.

markzab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 10:18 PM
  #18
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,517
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by markzab View Post
I laughed when I read these just now after seeing Emery basically threw a shutout minus the SO loss.
You missed my follow up post where I said I was being sarcastic. I was alluding to how someone was going to come in & use that as an example as to why Berube isn't smart.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 12:56 PM
  #19
JackStraw
Moving much too slow
 
JackStraw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Boston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,758
vCash: 500
This team currently bears absolutely no resemblance to the team that started the season. Or, for that matter, the team that played last season. It really is an amazing transformation.

JackStraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 04:54 PM
  #20
deadhead
Registered User
 
deadhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 151
vCash: 500
Coaches who know how to quietly push buttons instead of yelling tend to have longer career longevity.

It's a balance, too nice and players lose their edge, too harsh and they tune you out.

Berube has the advantage that he can take any player on the team into his office and beat the crap out of them. He'll just be discrete about it.

deadhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 09:55 AM
  #21
ihatebraydenschenn
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: SunnyvaleTrailerPark
Country: Canada
Posts: 984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chupanibre View Post
Your Avatar Pic is gunna give me an epileptic fit dude
Let's go play some Dance Dance Revolution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Lavy uses the left wing lock. Also his break out of the zone is to send it up the boards to the winger where he would then play the puck to the center cutting up the middle. That forward would then have to catch up to the play. You need speed and to be in shape with both systems.

You actually see the Flyers now break out the zone from deeper and also through the middle without the board play. Forwards come down further as well in our zone. Lavy was always known for being an offensive minded coach. Berube makes the team concentrate on making offensive from defense pretty much.
Thanks for the info.

ihatebraydenschenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 10:02 AM
  #22
ericWONT
Nick Grossmann Hater
 
ericWONT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Delaware/Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 140
vCash: 500
I like the way that Berube is coaching this team. When Lavy left and I realized a former Flyers tough-guy was coming in, I was honestly worried and thought we were screwed. I like how he's a much more defensively minded coach, which is necessary when our defense is pretty awful. Our offense seems to just work itself, and doesn't need a hell of a lot of focus like Lavy did.

I can definitely say I'm a fan of Berube (albeit, if he actually realized Grossmann sucks and did something about it, that would definitely make me a bigger fan.)

ericWONT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 05:13 PM
  #23
CTU2fan
Registered User
 
CTU2fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,135
vCash: 500
I thought the Lavy Flyers were a pretty fun team to watch, they were aggressive and also pretty successful. But with Carle and Pronger gone Lavy didn't have the pieces to transition to offense the way he wanted to.

One thing I've noticed with Berube coaching, they're rarely flat. Sometimes they win, sometimes they lose, but rarely am I ever frustrated feeling like they're just going through the motions out there. He's done as good a job motivating guys as I've seen.

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 12:02 AM
  #24
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,422
vCash: 500
Hopefully we make the playoffs and the Flyers break out of this offensive skunk funk...otherwise this thread will do a complete 180....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 07:08 AM
  #25
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 110,436
vCash: 5872
There really isn't much different the Flyers are doing. Berube's benefitted from percentages turning around to a point where they're actually out-performing expectations. They are still not a plus-possession team, rely almost exclusively on high shooting percentage to win games, and still wretched at exiting their zone.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:03 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.