HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

long layoff

Old
03-26-2014, 02:15 PM
wils5150

vCash: 500
long layoff

Anybody get back into skating/hockey after a long layoff say 20 years? lol just curious how long it took to skate ok again. At age 47 I want to play again. i have not been on ice in 20 years. I have been hitting public skate 2 times a week. I am getting better but still a shell of the skater I was. draft player evaluations are april 28 hope I can do it.

wils5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 02:32 PM
Ozz

I took 10 years off, but also added 70lbs. to my used-to-be-tiny frame. I stopped hockey and got into bodybuilding; coming back to hockey was crazy with my new build and function. The basics will likely come right back to you like riding a bicycle. Advanced basics and so on will come as you continue on, just like your lungs and legs likely will. Whatever you do, always take in the entire ice, game, your shortcomings and successes, etc. and use it to help your progression. I'm better now than I ever was, you can do it too. Good luck

Ozz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 02:33 PM
JulianHopper*

vCash: 50
Do you guys have shinny/pickup hockey in your area?

If you're getting back into the game that's what I would recommend. Public skating is probably the next best thing though.

Also make sure you're in shape as well as you don't want to get the heart racing to fast after coming back.

JulianHopper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 02:46 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianHopper View Post
Do you guys have shinny/pickup hockey in your area?

If you're getting back into the game that's what I would recommend. Public skating is probably the next best thing though.

Also make sure you're in shape as well as you don't want to get the heart racing to fast after coming back.
That's such an obvious thing I forgot to think of it myself. Definitely make sure you're not going from 20 years of a relative lack of exercise to jumping onto the ice in one quick swoop! That's just asking for trouble in more ways than one (heart, lungs, muscle cramps/pulls/etc.)

If all is well in that respect, still take it easy to begin with. You never know how your body will react to the 'new' movements, stress, and workload after all this time.

More public skating is good, hopefully you're giving yourself a nice workout during them. Shinny/drop-in would be great too, you can amp it little by little w/o having to worry about the stress of a real game and its pace.

Ozz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 03:01 PM
wils5150

I cant make the drop in hockey due to time conflict. what i do now is skate at a good pace for 5 minutes then rest for a few and repeat. I have some physical limitations due to a motocross crash. mainly right ankle is sloppy but i always worked around it when playing a year at college. main thing now is my knees get achy after 3 or 4 minutes.

Old
03-27-2014, 12:21 AM
Pacifist Goon

I dropped it in the 90's in my mid twenties due to playing another sport at a much higher level. Always loved the hockey but it was a hobby sport not taken up till late teens.

Come back at forty after finishing up and have put a lot of work into my skating to the point where I'm now skating better than I ever could before, but my stick handling and shooting is well behind where it used to be. Just a problem with finding the stick/ puck time to work on it.

You've got to keep at something to stop your body going to waste; and hockey is perfect because the skating is generally lower impact on the knees and the like in terms of jarring.

Hockey's a tough game, but I doubt the likes of Gordie Howe would ever have lasted as long at such a high level were they football or basketball players or wrestlers.

Pacifist Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2014, 01:25 AM
SillyMe

I took off a really long time myself...
37 years from organized hockey-last time I played was peewees- 12 years old, last pond skate I was around 15-16 years old...until beginning of this year, when I decided I was sick of being a couch potatoe in the winter months.
I had done labor for years, so I stayed thin...
Bought some skates and did public skate until I felt comfortable enough to start playing hockey again.
Hence my name SillyMe...I'll never be as good a skater as that rinkrat 37 years ago, but I go out there and have fun.

SillyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2014, 05:39 AM
Canadiens1958

The Mental Game

Physically you should be able to handle hockey once you get your skating legs.

The mental game will take much longer. Learning shift management, recognizing your limits, etc will take more time.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2014, 07:52 AM
wils5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
Physically you should be able to handle hockey once you get your skating legs.

The mental game will take much longer. Learning shift management, recognizing your limits, etc will take more time.
I am not to worried about the mental aspect. I went and checked out a d league game last night many different skill levels and the game was slower than I thought . I am not nearly as worried as I was.

Old
03-27-2014, 09:27 AM
mzm119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958
Luckily, most people in Beer League don't bother recognizing their limits and take 3 minute shifts!

I stopped playing from the age of 18 until the age of 28. I was really worried I wouldn't be able to skate anymore but, like someone said earlier, it's like riding a bike.

Getting my hands back was probably the biggest challenge but only took a few months of once a week hockey to get back to where I used to be.

mzm119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 06:58 PM
raptor5191

The only thing I am having a hard time with after a 12 year layoff (I am 44 now) is some of the more really advanced stuff and timing. Skating came back pretty quick. Dribbling is still coming along, shot is returning nicely. I have been back at it for about 10 weeks now.

I think it is just a patience thing for me. Luckily my conditioning did not slide as I am pretty religious about my it.

raptor5191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 02:41 PM
wils5150

skating is coming along ok. I am pretty sure I can take a 3 minute shift if I have to lol. player eval for the draft is april 23 so I am going for it. been stick handling a golf ball everyday has helped too.