HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

What would you give up for St. Louis?

Closed Thread

Old
08-17-2005, 07:29 PM
Hemsky is a gangsta
Hemsky is a gangsta

vCash: 500
What would you give up for St. Louis?

bound to have something like this sooner or later, and how much would tampa want for him in return?

Old
08-17-2005, 09:56 PM
Peter James Bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by peca37
bound to have something like this sooner or later, and how much would tampa want for him in return?
I'd give up Carolina for St Louis any day of the week and twice during hurricane season.

Old
08-17-2005, 09:57 PM
Scoogs

Send a message via MSN to Scoogs
I'd give my LIFE FOR ST. LOUIS!

Old
08-17-2005, 09:58 PM
Fayne Gretzky
5-14-6-1

Smyth? Done.

Old
08-17-2005, 10:13 PM
Gardebut30

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scugs
I'd give my LIFE FOR ST. LOUIS!
But you won't get to enjoy seeing him play. Did you mistype and meant to say wife?

Old
08-17-2005, 10:20 PM
Stuy

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

Sounds like some animosity between friends.

Could be something to this or maybe not.

Old
08-17-2005, 10:31 PM
ATG

If any team with alot of cap space ever wanted this guy the time is now. With Vinny signing for 6.8, Tampa is going to have to try to sign him to a deal in the 4.5- 5 million dollar range. The 5 first rounders is a steep price but he was league MVP.....

Old
08-17-2005, 10:33 PM
Scoogs

Send a message via MSN to Scoogs
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardebut30
But you won't get to enjoy seeing him play. Did you mistype and meant to say wife?
Nope

Old
08-17-2005, 10:46 PM
Gardebut30

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander the Great
If any team with alot of cap space ever wanted this guy the time is now. With Vinny signing for 6.8, Tampa is going to have to try to sign him to a deal in the 4.5- 5 million dollar range. The 5 first rounders is a steep price but he was league MVP.....
I may be wrong but I think it'll be 4 1st rounders now. Still a hefty price.

Old
08-17-2005, 10:51 PM
sensens

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardebut30
I may be wrong but I think it'll be 4 1st rounders now. Still a hefty price.
Why on Earth would you risk four 1st round picks... if Tampa can't sign him then they'll have to trade him, and there aren't that many teams out there who can add that kind of salary to their payroll right now. At most I see maybe 5 teams in serious contention, and there's no way that Tampa gets the equivalent of four 1st rounders in value for a guy they HAVE to trade. Look at the trade return for Pronger, and they MIGHT get something comparable.

Old
08-18-2005, 09:12 AM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirtzsucks
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

Sounds like some animosity between friends.
No it doesn't. I don't know how you got that out of that article.

08-18-2005, 09:17 AM
Stuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos
No it doesn't. I don't know how you got that out of that article.
``Everybody's doing the math, it's not rocket science to see what it means,'' fellow Tampa Bay forward Brad Richards said. ``I'm very good friends with both guys, it's a tough, tough situation.

``We've already lost (goalie) Nikolai Khabibulin and now it's going to be a big challenge to get Marty signed.''

St. Louis was thrilled for Lecavalier's new deal, but clearly steamed at how things are shaping up for him.

``Marty congratulated me right away,'' said a clearly uncomfortable Lecavalier. ``

Old
08-18-2005, 09:41 AM
Sotnos

Richards *****ing about the CBA has nothing to do with anything, IMO. He did it when Khabi signed in Chicago too. He's aiming for a job on the NHLPA exec council, I think.

Anyway, from the article, it's pretty obvious that the business side of things is separate from the personal:

St. Louis was thrilled for Lecavalier's new deal..``I'm really happy for him, I have no problem with Vinny, I like Vinny,'' St. Louis said. ``It's not Vinny's fault. But does it affect me? Of course it does.''

``Marty congratulated me right away,'' said a clearly uncomfortable Lecavalier. ``But with this new CBA, the GMs have a tough job.

``We talked this morning and everything was fine. Marty's a great guy and I hope we play together for a long time.''

So, how does this show personal animosity?

Old
08-18-2005, 09:44 AM
Fat Albert

Larry Pleau and Mark Sauer

Old
08-18-2005, 10:06 AM
o-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos
Richards *****ing about the CBA has nothing to do with anything, IMO. He did it when Khabi signed in Chicago too. He's aiming for a job on the NHLPA exec council, I think.

Anyway, from the article, it's pretty obvious that the business side of things is separate from the personal:

St. Louis was thrilled for Lecavalier's new deal..``I'm really happy for him, I have no problem with Vinny, I like Vinny,'' St. Louis said. ``It's not Vinny's fault. But does it affect me? Of course it does.''

``Marty congratulated me right away,'' said a clearly uncomfortable Lecavalier. ``But with this new CBA, the GMs have a tough job.

``We talked this morning and everything was fine. Marty's a great guy and I hope we play together for a long time.''

So, how does this show personal animosity?
I would agree with Wirtzsucks on this one. Even though he's not saying there's any personal animosity, Richards has to be somewhat miffed. I'm just trying to equate this with a real-life situation where you've done just as much, if not more, than a fellow co-worker that you're friends with, you have most of the same qualifications but your co-worker is making so much more money than you are that you know that you're not going to get the raise you deserve. And in this situation, Lecavalier and his agent could have taken a bit less to be more in line with what he's really worth and perhaps have a chance to win the Cup in the future. If I were Richards, I would harbor some kind of animosity, but never voice it to avoid seeming petty. It's human nature - maybe some people are better than myself in that regard (or most people), but it is difficult for me to think that there isn't a little bit of contempt in Richards. Still more pissed off at the CBA, but an iota of that dedicated to the players that saw the money and grabbed it.

And St.Louis? This was really his time to cash in and now he's probably going to get screwed. The guy just won the Hart and the Stanley Cup, he's had to fight to get to where he is because of his size and his years of earning a premium salary are now. But he is restricted and his 25 yr old teammate has just been handed $27.5M in a salary cap world. I'd be super pissed....

Old
08-18-2005, 11:26 AM
Timmy1973

Oh I don't know if I'd be super pissed if I were Marty. The Lightning gave him a chance when no one else would. He won a championship, a number of trophies and became an all-star. Sure I'd feel a little dumped on but he's going to get millions from someone if/when he leaves.

Old
08-18-2005, 11:36 AM
LastoftheBrunnenG

Sontos - Speaking as a Lightning fan who hears the same stuff you hear, don't you think after hearing the 'one for all and all for one' mantra coming out of One Bolt Place for a long time, it doesn't sit well St Louis and Richards that Vinnie is getting the big bucks and not them (MVP reg. season and playoffs and unarguably more consistant players)? Whether or not signing Vinnie vs. one of those two was the right decision really doesn't matter when you're trying to figure out what Marty and Richie are thinkng. If I were them I'm going "Vinnie gets the $$$ and the security while I get a 1 year deal. But I've done as much or more. It's not fair"

I'll agree that there might not be personal animosity, but that has to be some level of resentment and frustration.

If I'm Marty I'm steamed. All my career I can't get a brake. I don't get drafted. I'm too small. I work and work and become the best player in the league and they're still giving more money/respect to other players based on their potential.

I'll admit Feaster is in a no win situation. But that doesn't mean everyone is accepting of it.

Old
08-18-2005, 11:47 AM
Timmy1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastoftheBrunnenG
Sontos - Speaking as a Lightning fan who hears the same stuff you hear, don't you think after hearing the 'one for all and all for one' mantra coming out of One Bolt Place for a long time, it doesn't sit well St Louis and Richards that Vinnie is getting the big bucks and not them (MVP reg. season and playoffs and unarguably more consistant players)? Whether or not signing Vinnie vs. one of those two was the right decision really doesn't matter when you're trying to figure out what Marty and Richie are thinkng. If I were them I'm going "Vinnie gets the $$$ and the security while I get a 1 year deal. But I've done as much or more. It's not fair"

I'll agree that there might not be personal animosity, but that has to be some level of resentment and frustration.

If I'm Marty I'm steamed. All my career I can't get a brake. I don't get drafted. I'm too small. I work and work and become the best player in the league and they're still giving more money/respect to other players based on their potential.

I'll admit Feaster is in a no win situation. But that doesn't mean everyone is accepting of it.
Fortunately for Feaster you can replace Marty's numbers for less than what it would take to sign St. Louis. Now as far as team chemistry goes this, and other future situations, could mean big headaches in Tampa.

Old
08-18-2005, 12:24 PM
Stuy

Also knowing that your friend could have easliy signed for a little less to leave room for you and possibly Richards to stay has to be upsetting also along with the other points made above me.

They may be smiling and being freindly but there's still some animosty there.

I know I'd be pissed if I were St. Louis knowing I might have to be moved due to my friend signing for alot more than he needed to.

Old
08-18-2005, 12:26 PM
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastoftheBrunnenG
don't you think after hearing the 'one for all and all for one' mantra coming out of One Bolt Place for a long time, it doesn't sit well St Louis and Richards that Vinnie is getting the big bucks and not them (MVP reg. season and playoffs and unarguably more consistant players)?
Not sure why this would bother Richards, since he's not even up for a contract this year.

And if either of them holds it against Vinny on a personal level, I think it would be more than a bit immature, not to mention potentially hypocritical because, if the rumor that Marty was asking for the 20% max is true, it certainly indicates he wouldn't have hesitated to take a contract others might not have liked. And I'll lay money down right now that if Richards is offered a contract next year that would detrimentally impact Kubina's, he's going to take it anyway without a second thought.

Old
08-18-2005, 12:26 PM
Jessie Lumsden

Calgary would give nothing. We don't want him because he would take up too much cap room.

Old
08-18-2005, 12:33 PM
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirtzsucks
I know I'd be pissed if I were St. Louis knowing I might have to be moved due to my friend signing for alot more than he needed to.
Which friends of Iginla, Thornton & Nash are pouting right about now? Or is the "sacrifice for your buddies" only applicable to Lecavalier?

Old
08-18-2005, 12:38 PM
Stuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan2029
Which friends of Iginla, Thornton & Nash are pouting right about now? Or is the "sacrifice for your buddies" only applicable to Lecavalier?

Which friends of those guys just won the Hart and the Stanley Cup? I'll I'm saying is I feel there's animosty there because of either A)He feels Vinny's contract screws his chance of staying or B)He feels he should of got that contract instead of Vinny.

Either way I don't really care what happens to any of these guys. It's a cuthroat bussiness.

Old
08-18-2005, 12:47 PM
AlMo

One of the major downfalls of the new CBA is what TB is going through. They have so much great young talent that when they all start to peak they can't fit them into the budget and must sacrifice all stars like Khabibulin and eventually St.Louis

Pittsburgh will feel this in a few years with Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, Whitney, Orpik, etc.

Atlanta with Heatley, Kovalchuk, Lehtonen and Coburn

All those teams with the cheap young talent right now will lose those players in their primes because it is impossible to keep everyone happy.

Old
08-18-2005, 12:53 PM
Stuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlMo
One of the major downfalls of the new CBA is what TB is going through. They have so much great young talent that when they all start to peak they can't fit them into the budget and must sacrifice all stars like Khabibulin and eventually St.Louis

Pittsburgh will feel this in a few years with Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, Whitney, Orpik, etc.

Atlanta with Heatley, Kovalchuk, Lehtonen and Coburn

All those teams with the cheap young talent right now will lose those players in their primes because it is impossible to keep everyone happy.
Especially if the cap does fall to 35 mill next year. It's going to be real difficult

Closed Thread