HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated"
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated" Rated PG13, unmoderated but threads must stay on topic - that means you can flame each other all you want as long as it's legal

Rob Ford 6: Here Comes Mayor Boo Boo (Ford taking a leave of absence)

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2014, 10:47 PM
MsMeow

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
How about this one?

Jennifer Pagliaro ‏@jpags
Toronto Police on mayor & community safety awards: “We are pleased to participate. We will not comment regarding the Mayor's attendance.”

I think that was a comment.
Ha!!! And this is Pagliaro's first week on the city hall beat. Poor girl.

Old
04-22-2014, 11:41 PM
Wetcoaster

David Hains ‏@DavidHains
Ford: “I don’t know why we’re paying millions and millions of dollars to all these accountability officers.”

Just a wild guess... so that loose cannons like Jones and Ford can be held accountable?

And under the heading of just shoot the messenger:

Daniel Dale ‏@ddale8
In response to the ombudsman's scathing report on TCHC and its CEO Gene Jones, Mayor Ford has renewed his call to get rid of her job.

Old
04-23-2014, 01:55 AM
Free Edler
Soft.

Firing ombudspeople. That's a great way for the corrupt to continue pissing away public money unchecked.

Old
04-23-2014, 08:04 AM
Moose Head

So won of his biggest opponents on council, Adam Vaughn, is running federally in Olivia Chow's old seat. Surprised and disappointed he's running for the liberals though.

New political affiliation aside, City Council is losing a good one. I suppose if he loses federally , he can always run for council again in October.

Old
04-23-2014, 09:50 AM
Gobias Industries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Head View Post
So won of his biggest opponents on council, Adam Vaughn, is running federally in Olivia Chow's old seat. Surprised and disappointed he's running for the liberals though.

New political affiliation aside, City Council is losing a good one. I suppose if he loses federally , he can always run for council again in October.
I doubt he loses federally.

Living in the riding I think now that Chow's name is gone the seat will revert to the upstart Liberals, especially with his experience in the area.

Old
04-23-2014, 01:12 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Torts View Post
Firing ombudspeople. That's a great way for the corrupt to continue pissing away public money unchecked.
Here is Daniel Dale's article - Rob Ford calls to eliminate ombudsman after scathing TCHC report released - On Tuesday night, Mayor Rob Ford called again for the elimination of Fiona Crean’s job.

It is not just the Ombudsman but also the integrity commissioner, the lobbyist registrar - you know people who can hold him to account.

And being Rob Ford he gets it wrong on a number of points and is ignorant of the law.
“(Crean) and the integrity commissioner, the lobbyist registrar -- those three accountability officers cost millions of dollars. And in Mississauga, they have one person doing three jobs. So I don’t think they’re needed. I think there might be one person that could do all three. I don’t know why we’re paying millions and millions of dollars to all three of these accountability officers,” Ford said in a call to the Newstalk 1010 show hosted by Toronto Sun columnist Joe Warmington.

Ford’s proposal has no chance of success; the provincial City of Toronto Act requires the city to have an ombudsman and integrity commissioner. And the mayor made the same factual error he made when attacking the watchdog officials in 2012: Mississauga does not have anyone doing the job of an ombudsman or lobbyist registrar at all, just a lawyer on retainer as integrity commissioner.

Crean sharply criticized Jones’s staffing practices, finding that he repeatedly violated TCHC policy in hiring and promoting employees. Ford, a vocal Jones supporter, said it is only fair for someone to study the number of staffers employed by the accountability officers.

“I’d like to see the integrity commissioner and all the staff they have - you’ll get a shock,” he said. “What’s good for the goose is good for the gander.”
In fact, the integrity commissioner employs only one person, an assistant. The total 2014 budget for the three accountability offices Ford opposes is about $3 million.

Old
04-23-2014, 01:26 PM
Wetcoaster

Being a Rob Ford loyalist has it perks it seems. The Crean report highlighted the rapid rise of Lisa-Joan Overholt who had a job created for her at the Toronto Community Housing Corp and a big salary bump.

It seems riding the gravy train is good if you have Rob Ford driving the train.

Here is Daniel Dale's article - TCHC employee with Rob Ford ties got rapid promotion, big raise - Lisa-Joan Overholt, a Rob Ford campaign volunteer and donor, had a TCHC job created for her. She was quickly promoted and given a $30,000 raise.
Four years ago, Lisa-Joan Overholt was one of the campaign volunteers trying to get out the vote for Rob Ford.

Three years ago, she was a part-time constituency assistant for an Etobicoke councillor closely allied with Ford.

Last year, she made $112,923 as the Toronto Community Housing Corp.’s senior director of community safety and its council liaison.

Overholt’s rapid rise has been the subject of confusion and complaint within the TCHC. In a damning report on Tuesday, the city ombudsman cited her case as one of five especially “egregious” violations of human resources policies at the city-owned landlord.

The ombudsman determined that TCHC chief executive Gene Jones created a position for Overholt while she was working as executive assistant to Ford loyalist Vincent Crisanti, who had originally hired her on a part-time basis after the campaign.

The new TCHC job, at the “manager” level, was not advertised. Less than six months after Overholt was hired, she was promoted to a newly created senior director position, which did not even have a job description, and given a $30,000 raise.

Overholt thrived at TCHC after her late-campaign work for Ford despite a civilian police career that ended unhappily not long earlier — after she was accused of “sexual harassment,” “abuse of authority,” and other alleged misdeeds she has emphatically denied. City councillors have praised Overholt as diligent and effective in her role with the TCHC.

Old
04-23-2014, 01:29 PM
Free Edler
Soft.

If I had any hair left, I'd be tearing it out in frustration. I cannot understand how stuff like this is allowed to happen. Unbelievable.

Old
04-23-2014, 01:33 PM
Wetcoaster

Toronto Star columnist Joe Fiorito on embattled Toronto Community Housing Corp. CEO Gene Jones and where he has gone wrong. Justice delayed at the TCHC: Fiorito - Gene Jones is a flawed actor in an important role, his fate hangs in the balance.
Gene Jones is not Wyatt Earp, the Toronto Community Housing Corp. is not the O.K. Corral and Toronto is not Tombstone, Ariz.

You can’t just walk into town and start shooting, even if Rob Ford is the one who pinned the star on your chest. We like Mounties up here.

Jones didn’t — maybe he still doesn’t, and maybe he never will — get that. He was hired to clean up a mess at TCHC, and he thought all he needed to solve the problem was his guns, blazing.

The city ombudsman found he hired his own posse, seemingly on a whim, promoted and rewarded some of them without hindrance, and at the same time he left the ground around him littered with the bodies and the careers of people he didn’t like. That’s not to say I wouldn’t have sacked some of those people myself.

But there’s a right way and a wrong way to clear away the deadwood; instead of cleaning things up, Jones made a bigger mess. Which is why the ombudsman smacked him around like a cheap pińata.

Oddly, or perhaps aptly, her conclusions are strikingly similar in intent to other reports examining the inner workings of TCHC:

Just follow the damn rules.

Jones was recently ordered to take some remedial management training as a result of his high-handedness. Sadly, none of the 41 people he fired — without cause — in the past 18 months were accorded the same privilege. I’m sorry for some of them.
Morale at TCHC was bad when he took over; it is worse now. And, ultimately, the lives of tenants have not changed much. That’s what makes me sad.
Jones should have known this is not the Wild West; this is the true north, and here is an iron principle in these parts:

The ends do not justify the means.

Old
04-23-2014, 01:35 PM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
But he's saved you billions of dollars!

Seriously, if I didn't know he really was as stupid as he seems (he'd have to be the greatest actor ever to be faking it), I'd swear he was doing all this so that he could become a dictatorial mayor. He seems to be trying to get around (or just get rid of them completely) each and every democratic policy in place to keep his bullshit activities secret.

He's not just a joke in PR, but also in conducting open and honest business at City Hall. He just has no ability to just accept criticism and correct problems.

Old
04-23-2014, 01:44 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Torts View Post
If I had any hair left, I'd be tearing it out in frustration. I cannot understand how stuff like this is allowed to happen. Unbelievable.
When the guy at the top flagrantly disregards the law and the policy and values loyalty over competence, legality, morality and ethics - this is the result.

And do not expect consistency.

Daniel Dale ‏@ddale8
Mayor Ford is strongly opposing councillor pay hikes today while defending big no-explanation pay hikes at TCHC.

Last edited by Wetcoaster: 04-23-2014 at 01:50 PM.
Old
04-23-2014, 01:47 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsdude7 View Post
But he's saved you billions of dollars!

Seriously, if I didn't know he really was as stupid as he seems (he'd have to be the greatest actor ever to be faking it), I'd swear he was doing all this so that he could become a dictatorial mayor. He seems to be trying to get around (or just get rid of them completely) each and every democratic policy in place to keep his bullshit activities secret.

He's not just a joke in PR, but also in conducting open and honest business at City Hall. He just has no ability to just accept criticism and correct problems.
To be clear Rob Ford has no problems - except that he is a little overweight. He may have made mistakes but hey that is in the past and he is only human, amirite?

These compliance officials and the TO police are just out to get him because he has derailed the gravy train.

Rampant paranoia...

betsy powell ‏@powellbetsy
"I'm convinced it's a witch hunt," Mayor Rob Ford on Toronto ombudsman Fiona Crean's damning TCH report.

Old
04-23-2014, 02:08 PM
Wetcoaster

Time to give the Overholt hiring and promotion brouhaha a rest - Mayor Ford says he was not involved.

Daniel Dale ‏@ddale8
Mayor Ford at executive committee: "I had nothing to do with Lisa Overholt getting hired by Gene Jones whatsoever...that is not true."

And as we know Hizzonner would never lie, amirite??

Old
04-23-2014, 02:13 PM
Wetcoaster

And on cue Mayor Ford's PR flack journalist Joe Warmington provides the truth to the Crean report genesis. Ombud's TCHC report smear campaign to get at CEO.

As noted:
Daniel Dale ‏@ddale8
Interestingly, TCHC's Lisa-Joan Overholt borrowed from Ford playbook - talking to the Sun's Warmington before a Star story came out.
There was talk about how she campaigned for and contributed to Ford’s mayoral campaign in 2010, as well as worked inside Councillor Vincent Crisanti’s office and “even when Miss Crean was reading out her report somebody said to me that I got the job because of an inappropriate relationship with Mr. Jones,” Overholt said.

Calling it “insulting,” she said as a “married woman” it “is so unfair because I am not only qualified for the job but am capable and have been successful.”

She said she was “recruited by the same headhunter that suggested Jones because of my qualifications” and not because of her support for elected representatives.

Overholt called the whole thing a “witch hunt” and just the tip of the iceberg of how far people will go to take Jones down and subsequently get at Ford.

“People have even been going into my background at Toronto Police, where I did leave with a high recommendation,” she said. “It has not been an easy time.”

But she feels worse for Jones.

There is a board meeting Tuesday afternoon and no one knows what the outcome will be or his future.

The meeting is in camera.

“He is suddenly all alone and isolated,” said Overholt. “It is just not right.”

It is not right. It’s Toronto politics.

Old
04-23-2014, 04:20 PM
MsMeow

Quote:
He has three unresolved ethics controversies. MT @reporterdonpeat Mammoliti calls city's 3 accountability officers "goons for the left"
It's really something to see when you have the Fords and Mammoliti constantly shooting their mouths off. If they weren't around, council would be very quiet. All 3 of these clowns have no right to throw stones while living in glass houses.

Old
04-23-2014, 04:48 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
[URL="https://twitter.com/ddale8"][B]

It's really something to see when you have the Fords and Mammoliti constantly shooting their mouths off. If they weren't around, council would be very quiet. All 3 of these clowns have no right to throw stones while living in glass houses.
Three "morans" from the right?

Old
04-23-2014, 06:48 PM
MsMeow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Three "morans" from the right?
I give up, did I type "morans" somewhere instead of "morons"?

Old
04-23-2014, 06:50 PM
MsMeow

This is the second time tonight that I've seen these on twitter. The proportions are better than the other ones and he looks more like Rob than Doug. I also like the beer bottle and crack pipe although vodka seems to be his drink of preference!

Old
04-23-2014, 07:11 PM
Ilkka Sinisalo
Amazing American

lol.

Old
04-23-2014, 07:18 PM
canucksfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
I give up, did I type "morans" somewhere instead of "morons"?
I think he is referencing this

Those dolls are awesome.

Old
04-23-2014, 07:23 PM
MsMeow

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksfan View Post
I think he is referencing this

Those dolls are awesome.
Hilarious!

In other news, someone posted this on twitter:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/431728...897982/sizes/k

Old
04-23-2014, 07:48 PM
MsMeow

And in not good news, one of our sitters passed away Monday. Before we met her at the sit-in, we knew her as Pam from Scarborough. Her real name was Chris and she was diagnosed with cancer but I'm not sure when. Her wish was to live to October 27th so that she could see Ford voted out. This is what happened last May after the video "that can't be commented on because it doesn't exist" was dropped on us:

http://www.nowtoronto.com/news/story.cfm?content=192712

It's amazing how Doug came to the conclusion that she's a racist based on her question.

Old
04-23-2014, 11:33 PM
Wetcoaster

And another attack by proxy on behalf of Rob Ford fizzles.

Daniel Dale ‏@ddale8
Warmington has asked Chief Bill Blair if he will investigate who leaked Lisa-Joan Overholt's "personnel file" to me for today's story. (1/)

Daniel Dale ‏@ddale8
I love leaks to me, but there was no leak to me here, nor was there a personnel file. (2/)

Daniel Dale ‏@ddale8
An arbitration decision was posted in 2012 on the Ontario Police Arbitration Commission website. I saved it. The end. (3/3)

The irony... a "journalist" (alleged in the case of Warmington) complaining about leaks to real journalist.

Old
04-24-2014, 02:54 AM
SashaSemin28
My Krasnaya Mashina

vCash: 833
Send a message via Skype™ to SashaSemin28
Every time I load the politics section and see this thread title, I laugh and I don't know why.

Old
04-24-2014, 06:31 AM
Gobias Industries

Gotta say Wet, seeing you on Twitter was weird.

Like seeing a colleague from work at the mall or something, just took a second to click.

Closed Thread