HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ryan Smyth may be on the move?

Closed Thread

Old
08-17-2005, 09:28 PM
sidelines

vCash:
Ryan Smyth may be on the move?

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.p...38#post3309338

No real backbone to it, but just curious, what would you give up for him? The Oilers lines, as it stands:

Smyth - Peca - Dvorak
Torres - Horcoff - Hemsky
Moreau - Reasoner - Pisani
Laraque/Harvey/Winchester/Rita

Pronger - Semenov
Smith - Bergeron
Ulanov - Staois
Greene

Conklin
Markannen

Old
08-17-2005, 09:29 PM
Lundmark17

vCash: 500
Judging by how contract talks seem to be going I say the Sens would consider trading Hossa for him.

Old
08-17-2005, 09:41 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

I find it funny that any RFA who isn't signed is now involved in all these trade rumours. Negotiations take time.

Old
08-17-2005, 09:45 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg
I find it funny that any RFA who isn't signed is now involved in all these trade rumours. Negotiations take time.
Apparently, the rumour was started by one of the radio hosts on the FAN 1260 in Edmonton. He was spot on the Pronger and Peca trade before they were announced as well. It's still only a rumour, but it's probably more credible than the average one.

Old
08-17-2005, 09:54 PM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned
Apparently, the rumour was started by one of the radio hosts on the FAN 1260 in Edmonton. He was spot on the Pronger and Peca trade before they were announced as well. It's still only a rumour, but it's probably more credible than the average one.
I didn't hear it, but from the sounds of it, it's not even a rumour, just his own little prediction.

It's interesting to see what people around here would give up for Smyth, though.

Old
08-17-2005, 09:59 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
I didn't hear it, but from the sounds of it, it's not even a rumour, just his own little prediction.

It's interesting to see what people around here would give up for Smyth, though.
True, but he did predict Brewer was going to be dealt before the season started as well. He's been very spot on with his prognostications.

Old
08-17-2005, 10:21 PM
Tap on the Ankle
Nobody remembers No2

to OTT: Smyth, Staois
to EDM: Hossa

The Oil have the cap space to nail out a long term deal with Hossa. It gives them a bonafide young offensive star with a very well-rounded game. He's not the #1 C the Oil have been looking for, but if he can make a bum like Bonk look like one, I'll be interested to see what he could do with Horcoff or Peca.

Sens finally land their top line LW with some grit and leadership to boot. Staois, though, would only be a part of this deal if the Sens were able to shed de Vries off the books to some team. If that couldn't happen, then drop him and add in a mid-level prospect like Winchester or McDonald, or a pick.

Though, given the fact that Smyth loves Edmonton, there's a decent chance he'd end up bolting back there as soon as he becomes a UFA. That makes the trade a little less appealling, but as long as the Sens could get him inked to at least a 2-year deal, I suppose it would work. I'd rather have 2 years of Smyth than 1 year of Hossa.

Old
08-17-2005, 10:37 PM
fastfeet*

Oil couldn't afford Hossa

Old
08-17-2005, 10:40 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfeet
If we traded Smyth and Staios the other way, we could. Whether it would be a good thing to have basically 12M tied up in two players (Pronger and Hossa) without having that elusive #1C is a different matter.

Old
08-17-2005, 10:42 PM
Rafters

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfeet
WRONG!!! Oilers sit at about 28 million with only Smyth and Horcoff to sign, therefore give horcoff a mill and 6 for Hossa and we are at our self imposed cap of 35 mill

Old
08-17-2005, 10:45 PM
Cerebral

The only way I see Smyth getting dealt is if a better player is heading back to Edmonton...

Old
08-17-2005, 10:49 PM
Pablo Aimar

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher
to OTT: Smyth, Staois
to EDM: Hossa

As an Oilers fan, I love that deal. As an added bonus, we could then sign future Norris winner Bobo Mironov to round out our defence. I always loved Mironov.

Or the Sens could be real nice and take Cory Cross instead of Staios. The Oilers could even throw in FORMER FIRST ROUND PICK Jesse Niinimaki. Sure he sucks, but he was a former first round pick.

Old
08-18-2005, 12:08 AM
Ozy_Flame

Isn't Smyth one year removed from free agency?

If a new team is willing to sign him long-term, then Edmonton should be getting a great package for him. Scoring, grit, two-way ability, and leadership is his game. Every team in the damn league should be salivating at getting this guy.

The ball is in Edmonton's court if things don't get too ugly with contract talk.

Old
08-18-2005, 12:13 AM
albathegreat*

I cant see Smyth playing anywhere else than Edmonton.. But I would sure love him in the Blue and White... very doubtful though..

Old
08-18-2005, 12:19 AM
Ozy_Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almothegreat
I cant see Smyth playing anywhere else than Edmonton.. But I would sure love him in the Blue and White... very doubtful though..
I'm sure you Leaf fans could throw something sweet together revolving around Tucker and Pilar.

Old
08-18-2005, 12:21 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame
Isn't Smyth one year removed from free agency?

If a new team is willing to sign him long-term, then Edmonton should be getting a great package for him. Scoring, grit, two-way ability, and leadership is his game. Every team in the damn league should be salivating at getting this guy.

The ball is in Edmonton's court if things don't get too ugly with contract talk.
I'm still guessing that Smyth signs a long-term contract in Edmonton. However, if Lowe decides to deal him, he's dealing from a position of strength rather than of weakness a la Doug Weight. The best situation (unless a team offers something pretty good like Hossa, Heatley, Gaborik or even Datsyuk) is to get Smyth under contract and get ready to start the season...

Old
08-18-2005, 12:26 AM
Larry Fisher
HFB Partner

Ozy_Flame compliments of Smyth are bang on and he will have to demand a strong return or there will be bloodshed in Edmonton.

As for the rumour...it could be just talk but Mr. Stauffer has been 2 for 2 predicting Peca an Oiler and Brewer a former Oiler...he's really swinging for the fences this time but I can sort of reason with his train of thought.

Smyth and Hossa are both pending UFAs after this season, so that alleviates the argument Smyth isn't worth the risk because he might turn around and head back to Edmonton...same could be said for Hossa.

However the Smyth, Staios for Hossa deal is not one I would wet my pants over...its no Brewer, Lynch, Woywitka for Pronger...that's for sure. I don't know who I would want in return...it's tough to say looking around the league and outside our division, to a lesser degree outside our conference.

Dany Heatley is definitely #1 on my list and rumour has it he wants/deserves Hossa money ($5.5 million/year) and with Kovalchuk demanding a similar pricetag Atlanta may have to part with one or the other.

To Atlanta = Smyth, Horcoff, Cross, MA Pouliot and a 2nd

To Edmontn = Heatley and Exelby

I don't think that sounds too crazy...I'll hash out some other proposals for guys I would want and post them as they come to me. First off let's hear what you think of that bad boy???

P.S. Jarrett Stoll and Cory Cross were both omissions from Mr. Newsflash Man original post. Stoll will center the third or fourth line and Cross is penciled in as the #6/7 defensemen according to MacT in the Edmonton Sun today. Sounds like Greene will have to blow the brass away to stick with the big club out of camp.

Old
08-18-2005, 12:27 AM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
I'm still guessing that Smyth signs a long-term contract in Edmonton. However, if Lowe decides to deal him, he's dealing from a position of strength rather than of weakness a la Doug Weight. The best situation (unless a team offers something pretty good like Hossa, Heatley, Gaborik or even Datsyuk) is to get Smyth under contract and get ready to start the season...
I'm intrigued.

Old
08-18-2005, 12:29 AM
Oilman72

That guy was just talking out of his ass and quite frankly was annoying the piss out of me.

I just don't see Smyth going anywhere. Not only has he given his heart, grit and body to the Edmonton Oilers, he is a consistant performer year after year after year.

This guy plays his ass off every game and gives you 60 points every single year. Why on earth would you get rid of a guy like that, one that loves playing for the Oilers by the way, and is such a big contributor off the ice as well.

So you're going to give away Smyth for Hossa and what is that going to net us? You're going to pay twice as much for a player for a net gain of maybe 20 points a season. Not to mention Hossa doesn't even begin to bring to the table the qualities that Smyth does.

I will be sorely disappointed if we don't sign him to at least a 3 year deal. There is just no downside. Period!!

Old
08-18-2005, 12:30 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by salostyle

To Atlanta = Smyth, Horcoff, Cross, MA Pouliot and a 2nd

To Edmontn = Heatley and Exelby
That deal would is actually somewhat interesting. However, I'm not sure if Horcoff is the kind of guy that Atlanta wants as they already have a very similar player in Stefan. I'm a really big fan of Horcoff and I feel he's going to establish himself as a pretty decent 2nd line centerman this season but I can't see Atlanta pulling the trigger on this deal...

Old
08-18-2005, 12:34 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick
I'm intrigued.
Well, a deal centering around Datsyuk and Smyth makes some sense in my mind. Datsyuk is the offensively creative centreman that the Oilers could use and he's a solid powerplay performer (23 points). However, his size is a bit of a drawback and thus I'm not sure if he's the ideal guy for the job. I can see a potential deal there though...

Old
08-18-2005, 12:42 AM
ExplosiveLEAFman

Quote:
That deal would is actually somewhat interesting. However, I'm not sure if Horcoff is the kind of guy that Atlanta wants as they already have a very similar player in Stefan. I'm a really big fan of Horcoff and I feel he's going to establish himself as a pretty decent 2nd line centerman this season but I can't see Atlanta pulling the trigger on this deal...

Atlanta doesn't want Horcoff or Smyth.

Old
08-18-2005, 12:44 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by explosivethinman
That's pretty much what I just said, thank you for reiterating...

Old
08-18-2005, 01:03 AM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
I don't know how badly Atlanta still wants Horcoff after acquiring Holik but they specifically asked for Horcoff when we tried to move up in the 2003 draft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by explosivethinman
I can pretty much assure you that they do, just not at the price we may ask for them. On Salostyle's deal I'd say never trade a franchise player like Heatley unless your forced to and Atlanta should have enough money to not force their hand into doing so, Salostyle have you looked at Atlanta's D why in the world would they part with Exelby if anything I bet Atlanta fans would like to clone another one or even two of him if it were morally acceptable.

Old
08-18-2005, 01:12 AM
McCabe24

re:

I'll try one. Makes sense to me as both teams deal from a postion of strength to fill a postion of weakness.

To Edmonton:
Michael Handzus
Dennis Seidenberg
2006 2nd Round Pick

To Philadelphia:
Ryan Smyth

As for salaries, I believe Philly takes on a bit more than Edmonton. Flyers find the top winger they've been looking for (rather than Bondra), and Edmonton gets a big legit 1st/2nd line center...maybe alternating with Peca...and a good young defenceman to play 2nd or 3rd pairing...with a draft pick to even value out. Much like the "proposal" Philly offered for the 2nd overall.

Thoughts? Value even?

Closed Thread