HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Who would you want to be coach?

Closed Thread

Old
04-06-2014, 10:17 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
but you didn't answer my question. Do you think Shero would pick any coach in the league over Trotz if given the choice? I don't.
Realistically, he would not pick Lavs over Trotz given the history Lavs has with us. Other coaches like Maurice... I could see it. Trotz would be more of the same. Allegiances only go so far when you realize the leadership (and by extension systems) you've put in place, do not work with the personnel you have. I think Shero would try something different potentially.

Although my worst fear is the continuation of the "build from within" mantra and he goes and hires the WBS coach to be the next head coach, effectively changing nothing. Realistically, if Shero stays, the impetus for change would be up to Mario (because Burkle will defer to him on hockey tactics, x's and o's philosophy etc -- not being a former player himself). Mario has to sit down with Shero and say "Look Ray, I was a believer in what we were doing too, but it's not working. We're going a different direction in Pittsburgh and WBS starting this summer. Here's what I want you to focus on building; choose your personnel and coaches with this in mind this summer."

Otherwise Shero will just continue down the same "I believe in this" approach he's always had (and which presumably Mario has always OK'd). Even if we lose early I think Shero's job is more than secure. It's Bylsma and his assistants who will get canned. Shero will have the chance to take the team in another direction. Question is whether his Nashville pedigree will ever wear off / if he'll ever realize it's not a formula for success outside Nashville. Other than regular season success maybe.

Old
04-06-2014, 10:24 AM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoPuntzJones View Post
I think Hynes would have a realistic shot at the job and I like him a lot. He's obviously done great work with the guys who have been called up this year and did a phenomenal job coaching WBS back from a 3-0 deficit against the Providence Bruins in that playoffs last year. If you're going to dismiss him because he uses Bylsma's system, I think you're way too eager to let go of a definite asset and a good coach because of an organizational preference that might not reflect the guy's actual philosophy.
it wouldn't surprise me to see him get offered a head coaching job sooner than later. winning the Louis A.R. Pieri Memorial Award seems like an automatic ticket to an NHL job.

Old
04-06-2014, 10:28 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vitale View Post
Realistically, he would not pick Lavs over Trotz given the history Lavs has with us. Other coaches like Maurice... I could see it. Trotz would be more of the same. Allegiances only go so far when you realize the leadership (and by extension systems) you've put in place, do not work with the personnel you have. I think Shero would try something different potentially.

Although my worst fear is the continuation of the "build from within" mantra and he goes and hires the WBS coach to be the next head coach, effectively changing nothing. Realistically, if Shero stays, the impetus for change would be up to Mario (because Burkle will defer to him on hockey tactics, x's and o's philosophy etc -- not being a former player himself). Mario has to sit down with Shero and say "Look Ray, I was a believer in what we were doing too, but it's not working. We're going a different direction in Pittsburgh and WBS starting this summer. Here's what I want you to focus on building; choose your personnel and coaches with this in mind this summer."

Otherwise Shero will just continue down the same "I believe in this" approach he's always had (and which presumably Mario has always OK'd). Even if we lose early I think Shero's job is more than secure. It's Bylsma and his assistants who will get canned. Shero will have the chance to take the team in another direction. Question is whether his Nashville pedigree will ever wear off / if he'll ever realize it's not a formula for success outside Nashville. Other than regular season success maybe.
This is the guy who just extended Adams and Dupuis and brought back Scuderi. I don't know that he agrees with you.

Old
04-06-2014, 10:29 AM
BrunoPuntzJones
Biscuit Scorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafton View Post
it wouldn't surprise me to see him get offered a head coaching job sooner than later. winning the Louis A.R. Pieri Memorial Award seems like an automatic ticket to an NHL job.
He was one of the top candidates for the BU job last summer, too. Either way he's probably on his way out/up sometime soon. If he graduates to Pittsburgh, my dream of the big club assimilating the best parts of the 2012-13 Baby Pens is one step closer to reality.

Old
04-06-2014, 10:33 AM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
He was one of the top candidates for the BU job last summer, too. Either way he's probably on his way out/up sometime soon. If he graduates to Pittsburgh, my dream of the big club assimilating the best parts of the 2012-13 Baby Pens is one step closer to reality.
Farnham, Harrington, Uher, Biscuit, Hynes?

Old
04-06-2014, 10:35 AM
hiptanaka

Laviolette. We'd start scoring goals right after timeouts.

Old
04-06-2014, 10:38 AM
BrunoPuntzJones
Biscuit Scorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafton View Post
Farnham, Harrington, Uher, Biscuit, Hynes?
Harrington and Zlobodan Goalosevic weren't there yet. Well, Harrington (and Maatta, for that matter) was up in the playoffs, but I had moved by then. I'm thinking more along to lines of Bennett, Despres, Hynes, Farnham, Bortuzzo, Gibbons, Dumoulin, Sill, and the return of Big Mac. And Tom Grace. (I like Uher as an idea, too, but to be honest I don't remember a lot of him. Paul Thompson was a more exciting player that year.)

Old
04-06-2014, 10:40 AM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Lavi would totally retain Granato. man, it'd be totally hilarious to read this board after that.

Quote:
Harrington and Zlobodan Goalosevic weren't there yet. Well, Harrington (and Maatta, for that matter) was up in the playoffs, but I had moved by then. I'm thinking more along to lines of Bennett, Despres, Hynes, Farnham, Bortuzzo, Gibbons, Dumoulin, Sill, and the return of Big Mac. And Tom Grace. (I like Uher as an idea, too, but to be honest I don't remember a lot of him. Paul Thompson was a more exciting player that year.)
ah, i misread 2012-2013 as 2013-2014.

Old
04-06-2014, 10:47 AM
Shockmaster

Laviolette with Tocchet as one of the assistant coaches.

Old
04-06-2014, 11:05 AM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DegenX View Post
I wouldn't want either as a head coach, but as assistants I think they'd be better than what we have now, hands down.
As assistants I agree they might make good candidates.

Old
04-06-2014, 11:08 AM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiptanaka View Post
Laviolette. We'd start scoring goals right after timeouts.
His timely time outs were just one aspect that he beat Bylsma in. He also owned him in match ups and realized by pinching their d-man down on our winger when we were trying to break the puck out was forcing turnovers & Bylsma never adjusted.

Old
04-06-2014, 11:11 AM
DegenX
Global Moderator
\_(ツ)_/

Every time some one mentions Laviolette, this is the first thing that comes to mind

Old
04-06-2014, 11:31 AM
Dragon Priest
Elvenlegions

Quote:
Originally Posted by DegenX View Post
Every time some one mentions Laviolette, this is the first thing that comes to mind

Haha. Is that Ville Leino he punches in the head?

Old
04-06-2014, 12:11 PM
Sidney the Kidney
3-peat

Long-term, I'm not sure. Short-term, I think Laviolette would be able to push the right buttons to get this team out of its funk.

If only Larry Robinson actually wanted to be a head coach, he'd be a pretty good option.

Old
04-06-2014, 12:15 PM
DoktorZaius

Maurice would have been good. Lavs is the best of what's around now. Would definitely be curious to see what he would do with this team. I'd be so excited to watch Pens games again.

I stopped watching last night after the 1st period. But if we had a different coach trying different things, I'd watch every "pointless" regular season game to the bitter end just to see what he tries.

Old
04-06-2014, 12:19 PM
Sidney the Kidney
3-peat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoktorZaius View Post
I stopped watching last night after the 1st period. But if we had a different coach trying different things, I'd watch every "pointless" regular season game to the bitter end just to see what he tries.
That's the thing with this current incarnation of the Penguins. If they get down 2 or 3 goals, you know the game is over even if there is still 2 periods left to play. This team doesn't seem have any will to actually come back from deficits any more.

Old
04-06-2014, 12:33 PM
Cherpak

And just how long do you think he would be with the Pens after something like this occurs?

http://i.imgur.com/l2LTo.gif

Old
04-06-2014, 01:27 PM
High Flying Birds

Laviolette no question.

Old
04-06-2014, 01:30 PM
Shockmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherpak View Post
And just how long do you think he would be with the Pens after something like this occurs?

As long as it's not Crosby or Malkin who cares?

Old
04-06-2014, 03:05 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post

Old
04-06-2014, 03:26 PM
Zirakzigil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Laviolette.
I've wanted him since he got fired.

Old
04-06-2014, 03:28 PM
Zirakzigil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
Even better if it was Adams or Orpik.

Old
04-06-2014, 03:32 PM
66-30-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherpak View Post

That would give Malkin a concussion so big Crosby feels it and both out for season.

Old
04-06-2014, 03:56 PM
MeticulouslyDishevel

We need a coach who isn't intimidated by the players.

I think we need a coach that has accomplished enough (at the NHL level) and has enough credibility that he can stand up to the players if need be. Bylsma is too scared to sit a star player for a couple of shifts or even talk to Sid about resting him. That's why I'm really reluctant about Hynes, even though I know nothing about him. This isn't a rebuilding team, and we can't be wasting time with a coach who is learning on the job.

Old
04-06-2014, 04:05 PM
flaneur

I'm not much of a fan of either laviolette or oates (especially oates who seems to have some similar bad habits as Bylsma). I would be curious about the Pens either promoting Martin or maybe hiring a guy like Paul Maurice.

While I can't think of a good coaching replacement for the Pens I think I know the perfect team for Bylsma to land post-Pens... Toronto would do quite well under him (at least for a season or two before he inevitably implodes or the market eats him alive).

Last edited by flaneur: 04-06-2014 at 04:20 PM.
Closed Thread