HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who would you want to be coach?

Closed Thread

Old
04-10-2014, 09:56 PM
IcedCapp
Yummy and Delicious

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahlon66 View Post
Whats everyone's opinion on Randy Carlyle?
I was really high on him last year and the beginning of this year.

In the end, though, he's a lot like Bylsma, only... different?

Defensive zone coverage is a mess, there's no structure, he wants to be a grinding team despite not having the proper personnel. In the end, he didn't have any other buttons to push.

There are only two differences: one players like Jake Gardiner, Morgan Rielly, and Nazem Kadri played significant rules without pulling teeth (though the journey of Jake Gardiner has been quite the roller coaster).

I would also say that Carlyle holds players accountable to a far bigger degree than Bylsma. Now, I don't agree with how he does it all the time (I felt like he botched the Reimer thing), but he will bench vets, cut their ice time, etc...

In the end, I have no clue what Randy Carlyle's system is supposed to be, so I don't think I'd want him here.

Old
04-10-2014, 11:07 PM
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates

I want Mike Babcock and Larry Robinson to simultaneously decide that they want 1: a new challenge, 2: more cups. Now that is a 1-2 punch on the bench to match Sid and Geno.
Then bring in Guerin to have a bit of banter and mood lightening around after Babcock has chewed out everyone. Sack the existing coaching team.

One can dream, right?

Could also be Larry Robinson as head coach, and I really like De Boer too. For a quick fix Laviolette would of course be an option also.

Old
04-11-2014, 12:00 AM
canadianguy77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
I want Mike Babcock and Larry Robinson to simultaneously decide that they want 1: a new challenge, 2: more cups. Now that is a 1-2 punch on the bench to match Sid and Geno.
Then bring in Guerin to have a bit of banter and mood lightening around after Babcock has chewed out everyone. Sack the existing coaching team.

One can dream, right?

Could also be Larry Robinson as head coach, and I really like De Boer too. For a quick fix Laviolette would of course be an option also.
Yeah...that would be a dream-team of coaches for sure. I'd be content with a coach who ices the best personnel available each game. I guess I have lower standards than you.

Old
04-11-2014, 12:02 AM
Honour Over Glory

Unless Babs plans on leaving after this season, I would rather have Laviolette.

I do not want anything to do with Torts, Muller, Wilson, or anyone else that is sitting around looking for a job. He's about he only good one left and I am surprised he is still without a job actually.

Regarding Babcock, I am pretty sure he was using Dan Cleary as his Pascal Dupuis in the top 6 for a while...so even the ones that we think are the best, aren't always the best.

Old
04-11-2014, 12:05 AM
66-29-33

Wings fans have a love hate relationship with Babs. All coaches have their good and bad parts.

Old
04-11-2014, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
This Pens team needs a coach to go in the locker room and do that in the worst way. It would be way more effective for this group than DB calmly blabbing about getting to our game.
The Pens would never let this happen. Even if Lavs was bought in he would have EJ as his mentor and become another baby sitter.

I like Lavs because he's a good offensive coach but any kind of offensive zone structure would be nixed by the Pens because they think freelance is undefendable.

To a degree that's great because the overly structured hockey of today is pretty lame and "running plays" takes away a lot of the creativity hockey used to have.... BUT the Pens just play up the freelance card to the 10th degree. The balance just isn't there.

Old
04-11-2014, 04:34 AM
TheGoldenJet

Laviolette for me.

Would not mind Larry Robinson either.

Old
04-11-2014, 08:10 AM
cygnus47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
Unless Babs plans on leaving after this season, I would rather have Laviolette.

I do not want anything to do with Torts, Muller, Wilson, or anyone else that is sitting around looking for a job. He's about he only good one left and I am surprised he is still without a job actually.

Regarding Babcock, I am pretty sure he was using Dan Cleary as his Pascal Dupuis in the top 6 for a while...so even the ones that we think are the best, aren't always the best.
Babs is even worse at playing vets over youth. At least he has a great system and knows how to implement it. It's a system that would work well with our players too.

Old
04-11-2014, 08:32 AM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

Quote:
Originally Posted by DegenX View Post
Every time some one mentions Laviolette, this is the first thing that comes to mind

Okay, I'm sold. Hire Laviolette.

Old
04-11-2014, 10:59 AM
Riptide

Would anyone go for Torts if he gets canned in Van?

04-11-2014, 11:03 AM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahlon66 View Post
Whats everyone's opinion on Randy Carlyle?
I wouldn't mind him. But then I'd take almost anyone over DB.

Old
04-11-2014, 11:06 AM
Bennett Brauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post

Old
04-11-2014, 12:29 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

My first choice is Ulf Samuelsson, second choice Rick Tocchet. Ideally, Ulfie as head coach, Tocch as associate head coach.

I wouldn't mind Laviolette at all, but I would prefer some new blood.

I was watching SportsNet this afternoon, and they were talking about Shanahan and the Leafs, and what will happen to Carlyle, etc. They were saying Toronto shouldn't fire Carlyle unless they actually upgrade the position. So, then they were saying that Toronto might wait until after the postseason fallout to decide Carlyle's fate. And the first name mentioned as a possible coach fired from a playoff team was...Bylsma.

So it seems the Canadian media is now clueing in. Forget the local media, they know nothing.

Old
04-11-2014, 12:34 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post

One can dream, right?

I share your high opinion of Pete DeBoer, but Devils fans absolutely despise him. Like, their hate level is at or beyond this board's hate of Bylsma.

Between them and me, someone's overlooking something with that guy.

Old
04-11-2014, 12:35 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
Not I. He's as stubborn as DB with his square pegs round holes thing. Also worth noting that when he was in New York, our system picked his system to pieces. Nobody made any adjustments of course.

Old
04-11-2014, 12:41 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
I share your high opinion of Pete DeBoer, but Devils fans absolutely despise him. Like, their hate level is at or beyond this board's hate of Bylsma.

Between them and me, someone's overlooking something with that guy.
Devils fans hate DeBoer essentially because of his role in the demise of Adam Larsson, his use of the Carter-Gionta-Bernier line, his love for Bryce Salvador, etc.

I want new blood behind the bench so that we don't have a guy who has already established a built-in love fest with a few players already. We need to escape the Craig Adams situation, completely, not replace it with someone else. I don't mind bringing in a player our new coach likes, believes in or has coached before, but he has to be someone we need, and someone who hasn't already peaked as a player. I don't want someone new to become an anchor on this team the way Adams, Glass, Pyatt and Orpik (among others) have become.

Old
04-11-2014, 12:42 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

As cooked as I think Disco is... there is absolutely a very real possibility of moving laterally or even backwards with a coaching change. I think Torts is a great example of that.

Old
04-11-2014, 12:44 PM
Bring Godard Back

I have mix emotions on Randy Carlyle. One thing that I like about his coaching is his mindset of what a team needs. He would address the lack of toughness on the team. Like many coaches, his decisions with the line-up can sometimes be a little frustrating (Carlyle and his love for Paul Ranger). Sometimes he isn't great at matching lines. Some of the Toronto defenseman look lost while on the ice as well. He is certainly an improvement over Bylsma, I will tell you that.

Old
04-11-2014, 12:44 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

The 'new' Torts is basically a bombastic Bylsma nowadays. No two coaches love shot-blocking more, emphasize the wrong things more and stagnate talent more.

Old
04-11-2014, 12:48 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Tocchet View Post
I have mix emotions on Randy Carlyle. One thing that I like about his coaching is his mindset of what a team needs. He would address the lack of toughness on the team. Like many coaches, his decisions with the line-up can sometimes be a little frustrating (Carlyle and his love for Paul Ranger). Sometimes he isn't great at matching lines. Some of the Toronto defenseman look lost while on the ice as well. He is certainly an improvement over Bylsma, I will tell you that.
He's also a bit too defensive-minded. It hasn't shown in Toronto, but he is. In fact, one of the reasons for Toronto's demise is that they can't play Randy Carlyle hockey because they're an offensive team.

I want our next coach to recognize that we're an offensive team, not a defensive team, not a grinding team, but an offensive team. And build the right system based on that notion.

We do need a better system, and more structure, but we need to bring back the Penguins identity...scare teams with offense (and not just in the first five minutes of a game). And, as you mentioned, we absolutely MUST become tougher overall.

Old
04-11-2014, 12:49 PM
Shockmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
Not I. He's as stubborn as DB with his square pegs round holes thing. Also worth noting that when he was in New York, our system picked his system to pieces. Nobody made any adjustments of course.
Torts also likes shot-blocking grinders. He could easily fall in love with guys like Adams and Glass.

Old
04-11-2014, 01:07 PM
Til the End of Time

is brent peterson totally out of the running for head coaching positions?

when shero was hired he was the most logical candidate to be head coach once shero had a chance to bring in "his guy."

but then bylsma won the cup and has since become shero's guy.

from a quick google search it looks like peterson was diagnosed with Parkinson's and is now a nebulous "advisor" for the preds.

has he ever been mentioned as a possible head coach candidate around the league over the past few years?

Old
04-11-2014, 03:00 PM
pistolpete11

I really don’t know if there is a better coach right now than Babcock. I think it is pretty incredible that his team is always so disciplined and he hasn’t worn out his welcome with the players after all of these years. That's a fine line to walk and he does it better than most. They’d be crazy to ever let him get away and he would be crazy to ever want to leave.

Lavy would be alright. I’d be fine with a fresh face as well, but it would have to be somebody that immediately commands respect like Roy did in Colorado. Otherwise, this team will just walk all over him like they do to Bylsma.

Old
04-11-2014, 03:30 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

A head coach who lets his players walk all over him, well, shouldn't be a head coach. There are plenty of assistants who fall into that category.

And for the record, we can forget Larry Robinson. He doesn't want the head-coaching gig. He knows his limitations. He's an elite assistant. Plus, I believe he took the SJ gig to be closer to one of his daughters, who is schooling out West.

Old
04-11-2014, 03:30 PM
Joejosh999

Good Lord NO in Torts. They would tune him out so fast .

I guess I could live w Lavs, but Tippett or Bird or Babs would be my choice. None realistic of course.

Closed Thread