HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who would you want to be coach?

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2014, 04:45 PM
66-29-33

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
My first choice is Ulf Samuelsson, second choice Rick Tocchet. Ideally, Ulfie as head coach, Tocch as associate head coach.

I wouldn't mind Laviolette at all, but I would prefer some new blood.

I was watching SportsNet this afternoon, and they were talking about Shanahan and the Leafs, and what will happen to Carlyle, etc. They were saying Toronto shouldn't fire Carlyle unless they actually upgrade the position. So, then they were saying that Toronto might wait until after the postseason fallout to decide Carlyle's fate. And the first name mentioned as a possible coach fired from a playoff team was...Bylsma.

So it seems the Canadian media is now clueing in. Forget the local media, they know nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Stanley View Post
Change "No" to "Yes". Bylsma would be eaten alive in Toronto, would be awesome!

Old
04-11-2014, 04:52 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
They have about 6 Engelland types on D. It would be glorious.

Old
04-11-2014, 04:59 PM
Riptide

Quote:
He's also a bit too defensive-minded. It hasn't shown in Toronto, but he is. In fact, one of the reasons for Toronto's demise is that they can't play Randy Carlyle hockey because they're an offensive team.

I want our next coach to recognize that we're an offensive team, not a defensive team, not a grinding team, but an offensive team. And build the right system based on that notion.

We do need a better system, and more structure, but we need to bring back the Penguins identity...scare teams with offense
(and not just in the first five minutes of a game). And, as you mentioned, we absolutely MUST become tougher overall.
When was the last offensive team to win the cup? Looking at the numbers, the team that's lead the league in GPG isn't the team winning the cup. It's fine to have offense... but teams also need to have the ability to lock it down and defend for the win.

"It’s not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, it’s as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Old
04-11-2014, 05:01 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Same problems, different coach.

Old
04-11-2014, 07:27 PM
PKV Jungle Friends
Gonna Be a Gas...

Lavs. 100%

Old
04-11-2014, 07:37 PM
PKV Jungle Friends
Gonna Be a Gas...

Lavs. 100%

Old
04-11-2014, 10:34 PM
Kiith Nabaal

What about Mark Messier? He wanted a coaching job in New York but got passed up and he isn't doing much right now. He supposedly likes Crosby a bit. Maybe he can be Messier's Craig Adams haha

Old
04-12-2014, 02:25 AM
HOLDITHERE

Caps fan with a question. It wouldn't let me start a thread here?

Anyway. With our management fiasco, we'll pretty certainly be looking for a new coach. My question, why do you guys seem to hate him so much? As an outsider it looks like he's done nothing but good. He's worked through some incredibly injury plagued times and was still a contender? Is it just being spoiled with a cup and being unhappy with anything less? Honestly? I don't watch the Pens unless they play Washington, so I'm out of my element a bit. But from 24/7 and interviews he really seems like the ideal coach?

Also, how solid is it that he'll actually be going this season?

Old
04-12-2014, 02:46 AM
flaneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiith Nabaal View Post
What about Mark Messier? He wanted a coaching job in New York but got passed up and he isn't doing much right now. He supposedly likes Crosby a bit. Maybe he can be Messier's Craig Adams haha
Ugh. I'm from Vancouver. I abhor Messier.

(although every time I think of him I think of Lays Potato Chips... so not all bad thoughts)

Old
04-12-2014, 03:08 AM
flaneur

Quote:

I was watching SportsNet this afternoon, and they were talking about Shanahan and the Leafs, and what will happen to Carlyle, etc. They were saying Toronto shouldn't fire Carlyle unless they actually upgrade the position. So, then they were saying that Toronto might wait until after the postseason fallout to decide Carlyle's fate. And the first name mentioned as a possible coach fired from a playoff team was...Bylsma.

So it seems the Canadian media is now clueing in. Forget the local media, they know nothing.
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I actually think Bylsma would do pretty well as the coach of Toronto for a season or two... until the market/media inevitably eats him alive.

Old
04-12-2014, 03:33 AM
cygnus47

I don't know enough about the other coaches and their systems to say. I want someone who:

1) Plays a simple, higher pressure system, focused on possession of the puck and neutral zone speed and ruining those two for the opponent
2) Someone that rewards consistent good play and punishes consistent bad play

Those are the big ones for me. We're a team of veteran, responsible players. We mostly need someone to re-instill the culture of excellence and pride that has melted away.

Old
04-12-2014, 03:35 AM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOLDITHERE View Post
Caps fan with a question. It wouldn't let me start a thread here?

Anyway. With our management fiasco, we'll pretty certainly be looking for a new coach. My question, why do you guys seem to hate him so much? As an outsider it looks like he's done nothing but good. He's worked through some incredibly injury plagued times and was still a contender? Is it just being spoiled with a cup and being unhappy with anything less? Honestly? I don't watch the Pens unless they play Washington, so I'm out of my element a bit. But from 24/7 and interviews he really seems like the ideal coach?

Also, how solid is it that he'll actually be going this season?
As to the last question, as solid as vapor.

Opinions vary on why Bylsma is bad. Some are rather Quixotic ("He ruined Tangradi!!!11").

But if I had to boil his actual problem down to a word, the word would be hubris. He thinks he's smarter than he is. He thinks he's smarter than the game.

So when, for example, Pete Deboer takes one look at DB's famed puck retrieval scheme and changes his own forecheck to counter it (quite successfully), Dan looks at this and thinks his original plan is so brilliant that nothing the other guy does will matter.

This bleeds into all kinds of things that kill the Penguins in the post-season. You probably didn't watch the Pens/Islanders series, but if Vokoun hadn't played as awesome as Nabokov did terrible, and if Sid hadn't outplayed Tavares (not to say JT wasn't awesome, because he was), Pens would have had another first round exit last year at the hands of Dan's stubborn self-satisfaction.

Also, the players on this team seem to walk all over him. Iginla was, I believe, leading the team in playoff powerplay goals last year as a much-needed right hand shot with a cannon. Dan took him off because someone complained about not being on the first unit. That he has them playing whiffle ball or tic tac toe at practice instead of, you know, practicing, contributes to the team's lack of discipline greatly.

Old
04-12-2014, 04:40 AM
Kiith Nabaal

He also seems to be kind of intimidated by Crosby and Malkin, which is why some people think he is better at handling teams with less talent.

Old
04-12-2014, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiith Nabaal View Post
He also seems to be kind of intimidated by Crosby and Malkin, which is why some people think he is better at handling teams with less talent.
Well when the owner has made this team into a players first country club for more than 30 years.... do you really think any coach would feel otherwise? To a degree I think what hinders Bylsma is that he can't be the coach he wants to be because of the Pens don't want to be overly structured. Not many coaches would thrive in that situation.

I like about 75% of what Disco does but that other 25% just kills him. Adjusting, the freelance/ funnel offense, getting away from endboard hockey, net front over backdoor, no alternate plane to coming up the wall, Tony G...

Old
04-12-2014, 09:47 AM
destroy

Mike Keenan

Old
04-12-2014, 11:10 AM
Shockmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
Well when the owner has made this team into a players first country club for more than 30 years.... do you really think any coach would feel otherwise? To a degree I think what hinders Bylsma is that he can't be the coach he wants to be because of the Pens don't want to be overly structured. Not many coaches would thrive in that situation.

I like about 75% of what Disco does but that other 25% just kills him. Adjusting, the freelance/ funnel offense, getting away from endboard hockey, net front over backdoor, no alternate plane to coming up the wall, Tony G...
Therrien did. He knew how to push Malkin's buttons and wasn't afraid to say anything unpleasant to any of the players. Ultimately he lost his job, but that probably had something to do with the fact that the Penguins were out of the playoff picture at the time.

Old
04-12-2014, 11:17 AM
FDBluth

nevermind

Old
04-13-2014, 12:51 AM
Master Shake

Barry Smith

Barry Trotz

Laviolette

Smith most of all.

Old
04-13-2014, 12:35 PM
SidTheKid8787

How come no ones talking about John Hynes and his staff and bringing Billy Guerin up with him? The guy is a pretty damn good coach imo and he's got a good read on all these D-prospects.

Hynes will be picked up here shortly by an NHL team as well. Hate to lose him.

Old
04-13-2014, 12:54 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post
How come no ones talking about John Hynes and his staff and bringing Billy Guerin up with him? The guy is a pretty damn good coach imo and he's got a good read on all these D-prospects.

post #21?

Old
04-13-2014, 01:09 PM
SidTheKid8787

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafton View Post
post #21?
I read everything but the first page.
Good on poster #21!

Old
04-13-2014, 02:32 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Toronto also has two prominent U.S. Olympians in Kessel and JVR, so Bylsma might be interested in that gig. Also, if he went there, Brooks Orpik might follow. This would all be too good to be true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
When was the last offensive team to win the cup? Looking at the numbers, the team that's lead the league in GPG isn't the team winning the cup. It's fine to have offense... but teams also need to have the ability to lock it down and defend for the win.
I will say Carolina in 2006 is the last offensive team to win the Cup. And of course, we did in 1991 and 1992. And, like you said, those teams knew how to 'lock it down and defend for the win.'

My point is, let's start building around our offense instead of our spazz of a goaltender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroy View Post
Mike Keenan
I wouldn't mind for a short-term fix. His stint in the KHL is very interesting. And one thing Keenan did as well as anyone in NHL history behind the bench: he got the most out of his very best players. This appeals to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post

Bylsma too came from our farm team. Just because you are the AHL coach in an organization doesn't mean you will play the young talent when you're promoted to the big club and you have veterans at your disposal. That's probably unfair to Hynes, but I would rather not go exactly in the same direction for our next hire.

I think we need new ideas coming from different organizations.

Old
04-13-2014, 04:17 PM
66-29-33

Yes please, Orpik to Toronto with Bylsma. Pens sign Lavs and we would beats Leafs all the time.

Bylsma: I don't know what happened?

Old
04-14-2014, 12:13 PM
Jacob

Barry Trotz

Old
04-14-2014, 12:22 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
I share your high opinion of Pete DeBoer, but Devils fans absolutely despise him. Like, their hate level is at or beyond this board's hate of Bylsma.

Between them and me, someone's overlooking something with that guy.
What do they hate about him? They have a hodge podge of mediocrity on their team and only missed the playoffs because they have a hodge podge of mediocrity that can't score a shootout goal.

Closed Thread