HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Nazem Kadri

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-07-2014, 04:48 PM
  #26
Ricky Bobby
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 7,143
vCash: 500
Trading Kadri isn't necessarily giving up on him it would be just simply not viewing him as a top 3 or 4 piece on a contending team and instead trading him at a high value point.

Kadri is an RFA after next season and a UFA 2 seasons after that. He'll likely be wanting big buck on his next contract and for a team with the defensive issue Toronto has giving him say 5 or 6 million with term could be a big mistake. Now if Kadri wants to take JVR, Bozak type money with term we have a different story.

I'd be wanting a Bobby Ryan type return if he was traded this summer.

Ryan is a more valuable player (or at least I believe so). However, Kadri comes with only 2.9 cap hit next year and 3 team controlled contract years vs 2 when Ryan was traded.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 05:59 PM
  #27
Walter Kovacs
Here We Go Again....
 
Walter Kovacs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
Trading Kadri isn't necessarily giving up on him it would be just simply not viewing him as a top 3 or 4 piece on a contending team and instead trading him at a high value point.

Kadri is an RFA after next season and a UFA 2 seasons after that. He'll likely be wanting big buck on his next contract and for a team with the defensive issue Toronto has giving him say 5 or 6 million with term could be a big mistake. Now if Kadri wants to take JVR, Bozak type money with term we have a different story.

I'd be wanting a Bobby Ryan type return if he was traded this summer.

Ryan is a more valuable player (or at least I believe so). However, Kadri comes with only 2.9 cap hit next year and 3 team controlled contract years vs 2 when Ryan was traded.
You can want all day but Kadri will not get you a return like Bobby Ryan got Simply because Ryan has proven he is worth a return like that Kadri has not.

Walter Kovacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 07:51 PM
  #28
Frozenice
the random dude
 
Frozenice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
Well your hypothetical was that he would replace Desharnais on the top line to coincide re-signing Vanek. With Kadri being a PPG player last year in a shortened season, and playing with superior players, it would not be that much of a stretch to think he could score 90 points in a season.

My post was merely a poke at Leaf fans at the thought of this happening (which it won't because Desharnais is going nowhere and Kadri isn't being traded to a divisional rival)
There's only 10 players so far this season that have 75 points in the NHL, 90 points is a lot for any player to get.

I meant if we didn't resign Vanek we should go after Kadri, I think if we don't resign Vanek we should make some changes and one of them is to balance out the offensive and defensive responsibilities between the top 2 lines.

Kadri won't get the same points here as he's getting in Toronto, whether it ends up being 60 points or 70 points that remains to be seen but I can't see much more then that.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 07:53 PM
  #29
Cancuks
100 pt playoff team
 
Cancuks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Willie's Basement
Country: North Korea
Posts: 659
vCash: 50
Bieksa

Cancuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 07:54 PM
  #30
Drew311
Lost Em' For Auston
 
Drew311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by morrielly View Post
first of all, its nazem kadri

second of all, he will only be traded for a better player.

Also, no player on the leafs has ever not been heavily criticised. The team obviously has no fan favourites at a time like this. Doesn't mean we will trade the whole roster.
I think this is untrue. My guess is Nonis will be seeking a bigger, better two-way centre in exchange for Kadri. There may be some interest from teams that needs more pure skill and help on the PP.

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 07:58 PM
  #31
REALTALK81
Pro Log Driver
 
REALTALK81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 449
vCash: 500
Only once in recent history have the Leafs got better from trading away a young player (Schenn). Otherwise it's been terrible (Steen,Rask). I'll take the percentages on this one and keep Kadri. Clarkson was forced on his wing for most of the year and Lupul wasn't the same player he has been for the past couple of years.

REALTALK81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 07:59 PM
  #32
Diatomic
WHAT A MOVE, SCORES!
 
Diatomic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Air Canada Centre
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
There's only 10 players so far this season that have 75 points in the NHL, 90 points is a lot for any player to get.

I meant if we didn't resign Vanek we should go after Kadri, I think if we don't resign Vanek we should make some changes and one of them is to balance out the offensive and defensive responsibilities between the top 2 lines.

Kadri won't get the same points here as he's getting in Toronto, whether it ends up being 60 points or 70 points that remains to be seen but I can't see much more then that.
I don't think the leafs will trade Kadri to a rival Montreal unless they overpay bigtime. The majority of leafs fans think that trading Kadri is going to haunt them (he's got worldclass skill just hasn't been consistent in other areas yet) and if he puts it all together he will be an elite player, facing toronto several times a year would be rubbing salt in the wound.

Diatomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 08:00 PM
  #33
Drew311
Lost Em' For Auston
 
Drew311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
Well your hypothetical was that he would replace Desharnais on the top line to coincide re-signing Vanek. With Kadri being a PPG player last year in a shortened season, and playing with superior players, it would not be that much of a stretch to think he could score 90 points in a season.

My post was merely a poke at Leaf fans at the thought of this happening (which it won't because Desharnais is going nowhere and Kadri isn't being traded to a divisional rival)
Kadri was scoring at a PPG pace because he was playing sheltered minutes and facing 2nd and 3rd defensive pairings. He responded terribly to top line minutes with Kessel when Bozak was hurt for about 15 games. I'm not saying he'll never be a PPG #1 centre, but if he does he'll be a train wreck defensively. He needs to get a lot better in the face-off circle and get much bigger/stronger before he becomes an effective centre in the NHL. His elite skill is undeniable, he just has so much to work on to make him a complete player.

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 08:05 PM
  #34
dukeofjive
Registered User
 
dukeofjive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: whistler b.c
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,559
vCash: 500
They should keep him unless hey can get an upgrade on D

dukeofjive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 08:20 PM
  #35
Riptide
Registered User
 
Riptide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Yukon
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,832
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeofjive View Post
They should keep him unless hey can get an upgrade on D
And out of curiosity who will fill the #2C position? You already bought out Grabo.

__________________
I've been looking for trouble... but trouble hasn't been cooperating!
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 08:22 PM
  #36
bossram
Registered User
 
bossram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,561
vCash: 500
Kadri is actually one of Toronto's better players. And he's young. Realistically he is a 50-60 point player. Last year's shortened point-per-game pace won't happen again.

But if Toronto wants to send him to Vancouver for rags, then by all means do. I will gladly take him.

bossram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 08:31 PM
  #37
bossram
Registered User
 
bossram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Kadri was scoring at a PPG pace because he was playing sheltered minutes and facing 2nd and 3rd defensive pairings. He responded terribly to top line minutes with Kessel when Bozak was hurt for about 15 games. I'm not saying he'll never be a PPG #1 centre, but if he does he'll be a train wreck defensively. He needs to get a lot better in the face-off circle and get much bigger/stronger before he becomes an effective centre in the NHL. His elite skill is undeniable, he just has so much to work on to make him a complete player.
I think his PPG lockout season was more percentage-driven than anything. His Quality of competition and usage hasn't changed considerably since then.

Last year he had 15.2% OnIceSh%. And a 16.8% personal Sh%. That probably wasn't going to continue.

His CorsiRel indicates that the Leafs are a much better team when he is on the ice than when he isn't. He's a useful player. People need to adjust their expectations of him being a PPG player while adding "defensive" value.

bossram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 08:34 PM
  #38
richardn
Registered User
 
richardn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Sault Ste. Marie
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,432
vCash: 500
Kadri, Gardiner and 1st for Galchenyuk

richardn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 08:36 PM
  #39
Diatomic
WHAT A MOVE, SCORES!
 
Diatomic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Air Canada Centre
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
And out of curiosity who will fill the #2C position? You already bought out Grabo.
David Bolland as awful and hilarious as that sounds. Kadri career high in his 1st full season is already better than Bolland's career high during his whole career too.

I know the leafs are awful at managing young players, stay tuned next year when Gardiner and Rielly are on the block

Diatomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 08:46 PM
  #40
Riptide
Registered User
 
Riptide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Yukon
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,832
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diatomic View Post
David Bolland as awful and hilarious as that sounds. Kadri career high in his 1st full season is already better than Bolland's career high during his whole career too.
Where did I ever mention Bolland as an option? I could see a team like Edmonton taking a chance with him as a #2, but I don't see Toronto going down that road.

I was pointing out that moving Kadri for a D leaves Toronto with a gaping hole in the middle.

Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 08:49 PM
  #41
Diatomic
WHAT A MOVE, SCORES!
 
Diatomic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Air Canada Centre
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
Where did I ever mention Bolland as an option? I could see a team like Edmonton taking a chance with him as a #2, but I don't see Toronto going down that road.

I was pointing out that moving Kadri for a D leaves Toronto with a gaping hole in the middle.
I was implying that the leafs are going to replace Kadri with Bolland as the #2C

Diatomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 10:47 PM
  #42
StuckOutHere
Registered User
 
StuckOutHere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,129
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
I think this is untrue. My guess is Nonis will be seeking a bigger, better two-way centre in exchange for Kadri. There may be some interest from teams that needs more pure skill and help on the PP.
To Phoenix for Hanzal?

StuckOutHere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 10:54 PM
  #43
BigWilly
Registered User
 
BigWilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,744
vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardn View Post
Kadri, Gardiner and 1st for Galchenyuk
I need whatever you're on

BigWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 11:29 PM
  #44
PricePkPatch*
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,485
vCash: 500
Young, stay-at-home Top-4 D?

How about a guy like Gorges? Been top-2 in the past on the Habs, a PK specialist and very reliable defensively. Plus, a competitor in adversity with plenty of character. Which, it seems, many Toronto fans seem to claim is missing in their team.

PricePkPatch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 11:33 PM
  #45
Sundinisagod
lucky #13 lotto ball
 
Sundinisagod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 10,672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Young, stay-at-home Top-4 D?

How about a guy like Gorges? Been top-2 in the past on the Habs, a PK specialist and very reliable defensively. Plus, a competitor in adversity with plenty of character. Which, it seems, many Toronto fans seem to claim is missing in their team.
No offense but we'd be aiming higher or just rather hang onto him. He's our version of Gallagher, but without the love from his own fanbase.

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 11:34 PM
  #46
Man Bear Pig
Registered User
 
Man Bear Pig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 12,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Young, stay-at-home Top-4 D?

How about a guy like Gorges? Been top-2 in the past on the Habs, a PK specialist and very reliable defensively. Plus, a competitor in adversity with plenty of character. Which, it seems, many Toronto fans seem to claim is missing in their team.
You can find "character" players without giving up one of your best young players. What's missing from this team is structure and defensive play, from the forwards and D. The fact that we likely see Bolland and Kulemin walk this summer is pretty damn scary. Maybe McClement too. 2 or 3 of your best defensive forwards, gone like that. I smell a top 5 pick.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 04:32 AM
  #47
sansabri
au-delà du délai
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Saint-Hubert, QC
Country: Palestine
Posts: 18,316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardn View Post
Kadri, Gardiner and 1st for Galchenyuk
nice overpayment. but i wouldn't do it. Kadri reminds me way too much of Ribeiro.

sansabri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 06:56 AM
  #48
HarrisonFord
The Pain Is Coming
 
HarrisonFord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,598
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
And out of curiosity who will fill the #2C position? You already bought out Grabo.
They would have to probably sign one or trade for one. Holland could be an interesting option for the #2C spot in another season or two but he's going to need that extra year on the third line to get adjusted first

HarrisonFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 07:05 AM
  #49
HarrisonFord
The Pain Is Coming
 
HarrisonFord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,598
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sansabri View Post
nice overpayment. but i wouldn't do it. Kadri reminds me way too much of Ribeiro.
Ehhh, I don't think that's really a fair comparison. There are obviously a few similarities, but enough glaring differences to distinguish the two.

Kadri to me is kind of like a Giroux-lite. And notice all of you logical fallacy abusers that I'm not saying Kadri is nearly as good. That's why I said lite. Lite. Lite.

HarrisonFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 07:12 AM
  #50
sansabri
au-delà du délai
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Saint-Hubert, QC
Country: Palestine
Posts: 18,316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonFord View Post
Ehhh, I don't think that's really a fair comparison. There are obviously a few similarities, but enough glaring differences to distinguish the two.

Kadri to me is kind of like a Giroux-lite. And notice all of you logical fallacy abusers that I'm not saying Kadri is nearly as good. That's why I said lite. Lite. Lite.
i compare him to Ribeiro because like Ribs in his Montreal days, he really depended on his natural talent to get by. Ribeiro took a loooooong time to mature. it took him until he was like 26-27 before he started taking the gym and power skating lessons seriously. by that time, he was gone from Montreal.

sansabri is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:22 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2016 All Rights Reserved.