HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Nazem Kadri

Old
04-08-2014, 07:24 AM
eliostar

vCash: 500
He has very little value in the trade market , he isn't that good of a player , just ask any of his coaches.

eliostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 08:07 AM
mydnyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansabri View Post
i compare him to Ribeiro because like Ribs in his Montreal days, he really depended on his natural talent to get by. Ribeiro took a loooooong time to mature. it took him until he was like 26-27 before he started taking the gym and power skating lessons seriously. by that time, he was gone from Montreal.
...and turned into a pretty good player, but, i think Kadri may have a little more potential the Ribiero too.

What scares me as i can see the Leafs approach Ottawa and dangle him (plus) in a deal to try to land Spezza

...it would be a 220~250 point line and still likely be a combined -20-30

mydnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 08:08 AM
gabeliscious

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliostar View Post
He has very little value in the trade market , he isn't that good of a player , just ask any of his coaches.
i dont think that is very accurate. im sure his coaches in london loved him. i also never got the impression that eakins or carlyle think that he isnt a quality player. i actually think it is the opposite. they realize he has all of this potential to be a real star in the nhl so they hold him accountable more because they have higher expectations.

right now kadri has the offensive skills to put up 60+ points in the nhl assuming he was given somewhat competent line mates. the issue is that his defensive game and maturity need some work. i dont think there is a question of him caring or hustling i think he just needs to develop the defensive side. if kessel could improve in that department then im sure kadri can as well.

bottom line the leafs are not in a position to have untouchables on their roster. on the flip side they arent in a position to dump assets for nothing. kadri is not the only 23 year old in the nhl with massive potential that hasnt put it all together yet.

gabeliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 09:03 AM
HarrisonFord
Mindawakebodyasleep

Quote:
i compare him to Ribeiro because like Ribs in his Montreal days, he really depended on his natural talent to get by. Ribeiro took a loooooong time to mature. it took him until he was like 26-27 before he started taking the gym and power skating lessons seriously. by that time, he was gone from Montreal.
While I agree that is a possibility, I don't think you can classify it as a certainty. I think this will be a very telling off-season for Kadri in terms of conditioning and his commitment

Last edited by Warden of the North: 04-08-2014 at 12:31 PM. Reason: nope
HarrisonFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 09:12 AM
PricePkPatch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
You can find "character" players without giving up one of your best young players. What's missing from this team is structure and defensive play, from the forwards and D. The fact that we likely see Bolland and Kulemin walk this summer is pretty damn scary. Maybe McClement too. 2 or 3 of your best defensive forwards, gone like that. I smell a top 5 pick.
Yhea, sure. You can always sign a UFA that offers intangibles. How has that worked for the Leafs so far?

PricePkPatch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 09:48 AM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tarkanian View Post
You can want all day but Kadri will not get you a return like Bobby Ryan got Simply because Ryan has proven he is worth a return like that Kadri has not.
Kadri also comes with 3 years on his contract one of which is an incredible deal at 2.9 million vs. Ryan who had less term at 2 years at a 5.1 cap hit for both those years.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 11:45 AM
Kamiccolo
Oh Crap Baskets

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Yhea, sure. You can always sign a UFA that offers intangibles. How has that worked for the Leafs so far?
So one bad signing means the leafs trade their young player with top line potential for an everyday player because he has "character". Righhtt. In that case why not trade Subban for Lupul?

Kamiccolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 12:01 PM
Walter Kovacs
RIP #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
Kadri also comes with 3 years on his contract one of which is an incredible deal at 2.9 million vs. Ryan who had less term at 2 years at a 5.1 cap hit for both those years.
That's cool and all but no one is going to give you a return like Ryan got based on Kadri's contract, which quite honestly is exactly where it should be. 2.9 is a little low but I would not say incredible deal.

Walter Kovacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 12:02 PM
PricePkPatch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tarkanian View Post
That's cool and all but no one is going to give you a return like Ryan got based on Kadri's contract, which quite honestly is exactly where it should be. 2.9 is a little low but I would not say incredible deal.
Not "incredible", but still a solid underpayment. But it's still a rather short contract anyway, so the acquiring team would have to plan ahead for a contract increase to 4-5M.

Old
04-08-2014, 12:27 PM
kihei

vCash: 138
No, no, no, no. If Kadri is traded, unless it is an absolute steal of the century type trade, most Leaf fans will be even more pissed off with management than we are right now, which would really be saying something. The people who I hope are on the table are Phaneuf, Lupul, Franson, and Reimer. Kadri, Gardiner and Rielly stay right where they are. The idea is to eliminate the rot, not the future.

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 12:30 PM
PricePkPatch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
No, no, no, no. If Kadri is traded, unless it is an absolute steal of the century type trade, most Leaf fans will be even more pissed off with management than we are right now, which would really be saying something. The people who I hope are on the table are Phaneuf, Lupul, Franson, and Reimer. Kadri, Gardiner and Rielly stay right where they are. The idea is to eliminate the rot, not the future.
It's fine. I understand 100% if you believe he should not be traded It's just that I've read many people over at your board who were asking for his departure, so I thought I'd try it out. Don't take it badly

But Phaneuf isn't gonna move, unless you take 2M$ of his salary.

Old
04-08-2014, 12:44 PM
Number1RedWingsFan52

Quote:
Originally Posted by depro777 View Post
Bieksa
Bieksa would never waive for Toronto, He loves it to much in Vancouver.

Number1RedWingsFan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 01:30 PM
Hotlanta

Quote:
I think Kadri is a little misunderstood when it comes to training. In his first training camp, many players game him a lot of crap for being pudgy, including Dion before we sent him back to juniors. In his first offseason with Toronto, they asked him to bulk up, which he did and lost a some speed. So in the next offseason they told him to get leaner, which he tried to do and ended up coming into camp at around the same weight but with a higher BF% (which the media blew out of proportion). Then prior to his breakout season last year, he spent most of the summer working with Gary Roberts, gaining lower body muscle and getting more explosive, before Toronto pulled him out of the program to work with Belza instead. Which many Leaf fans think was a mistake. Then this offseason, he was in a contract negotiation with the Leafs and worked out on his own. Except of course for the work he did with Barb Underhill, who said Kadri does not need to work on his frame anymore, instead he needed to work on his balance and stamina as he will be expected to play more defense and more than his 16 mins a game in the shortened season. Kadri stole a top 6 job last season, at what would have been about 65% of the way through a full season last year. This year he had to adapt to playing against stronger competition for more time and I think he did a decent job. I'm surprised he went only -10 and is on pace for 58 pts.

I think in Kadri's prime he can be a 70-75 pt center in the right system but I would rather him be a 60-65 pt center who can be relied on defensively. No matter what, I would like to see him continue to play with an edge but take less stupid penalties and minimize the dirty stuff and the hiding behind the refs.

Hotlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 01:45 PM
kihei

vCash: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
It's fine. I understand 100% if you believe he should not be traded It's just that I've read many people over at your board who were asking for his departure, so I thought I'd try it out. Don't take it badly
There are six zillion of us, not all sane...and this season hasn't exactly helped.

(Love the avatar by the way, and good luck in the playoffs--your my team now, too, for awhile anyway)

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 01:47 PM
PricePkPatch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
There are six zillion of us, not all sane...and this season hasn't exactly helped.
Oh, I don't blame you or your fanbase. Like I said, I was just inquiring. I personally think a D like Gorges would be a godsend for your defense, especially as he is locked long-term at a very reasonable contract for a Top-pairing shutdown D, and he's been a natural leader.

but if Kadri isn't gonna get moved, then it's not worth discussing

Quote:
(Love the avatar by the way, and good luck in the playoffs--your my team now, too, for awhile anyway)
Thanks!!

Old
04-08-2014, 03:01 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 2154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1RedWingsFan52 View Post
Bieksa would never waive for Toronto, He loves it to much in Vancouver.
Might not want to go through a rebuild again though.

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 04:00 PM
Magic Man

Lupul for Gorges is a good basis for discussion. Similar age, same term and both are big parts of their team's leadership group. Lupul is actually a winger as well if the premise was replacing Vanek, if he doesn't re-sign.

Kadri isn't realistic. He's 23, on a good contract, with 1st line upside. You likely only include him in a trade for another young player (20-25) with similar upside, or in a package for a legit #1 center or #1 defenseman.

Magic Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 04:39 PM
crazyaces**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
I don't see him being a 90 point centre here, more like 50 to 60 point centre. It's called D responsibilities. He won't get the same offensive opportunities here.
I agree a 90 pt projection is high, but you can't come back with he's a 50-60 pt guy, especially when he has 50 points this year, and only getting better. And don't forget he had 44/48 last season. Realisticlally Kadri will be a 70+ point centre.

crazyaces** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 05:54 PM
Sergei Berezin
You're Wrong

haha you'll find Kadri in the ECHL before he's traded to the Habs.

Leafs aren't trading Kadri unless a similar defenceman is coming back. Someone like a Mcdonaugh before he was traded and developed into what he is today.

Sergei Berezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 06:01 PM
Nazemlupul

Kadri is not the problem in Toronto. What Kadri needs is a good captain and coach who will keep in line Help him mature and let him know that diving bs is not the way the game of hockey is suppose to be played.

Nazemlupul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 06:15 PM
nbwingsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydnyte View Post
He is already that, and has been having a sub-par season.
Next seasons worst case scenario would be 60 Pts
With a new coach, and a 1/2 decent system in place, 70 Pts should be the target
I don't get posts like this (not singling you out, there are plenty of Leaf fans saying this as well).

This is Kadri's first full NHL season. Sure he had a great 40 game run last year, but its clear now that last years Leafs team really overachieved. For all we know Kadri could have had a terrible second half to last season and only ended up with 50-60 points.

What I'm trying to say is how can you call this year a "down" year when its his first full season? Maybe this is just the kind of player he is? A 50-60 pt centre.

nbwingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 06:17 PM
nbwingsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyaces View Post
I agree a 90 pt projection is high, but you can't come back with he's a 50-60 pt guy, especially when he has 50 points this year, and only getting better. And don't forget he had 44/48 last season. Realisticlally Kadri will be a 70+ point centre.
Again, how do you know this? Not every single player trends upwards every season, especially when he is already a little older than most rookies and he was given the ice time this season.

nbwingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 07:02 PM
marty111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazemlupul View Post
Kadri is not the problem in Toronto. What Kadri needs is a good captain and coach who will keep in line Help him mature and let him know that diving bs is not the way the game of hockey is suppose to be played.
Callahan on his wing?

marty111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 07:13 PM
gamer1035

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbwingsfan View Post
Again, how do you know this? Not every single player trends upwards every season, especially when he is already a little older than most rookies and he was given the ice time this season.
kadri has peaked by first nhl season and is going downhill.

At least, thats what hf thinks. Any other player would only be getting better after their first season. However since kadri is a leaf he peaked.

Yes its his second year but he is slumping. Any second year player slumping at 50 points if a great offensive player

gamer1035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 08:02 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyaces View Post
If Kadri gets 70 points in Toronto he'll probably only get 60 points in Montreal. I don't care what he would get in Toronto or what he would get in Nashville (even less), I was discussing what he would likely get in Montreal. 50 might be a bit low but I don't expect much more then 60 or 65 points from Kadri if he were playing Montreal.

Montreal has let in 49 less goals so far this year then Toronto and that means our top lines have to be each stopping 20 less goals per year, which means the centres have a lot more defensive responsibilities.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote