HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Drop Slegr, pick up Simpson

View Poll Results: Is Simpson worth exposing Slegr?
Pickup Simpson, drop Slegr 11 25.58%
Pickup Simpson, drop Lindgren 5 11.63%
Keep Slegr/Lindgren 27 62.79%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
10-02-2003, 04:44 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

vCash: 500
Drop Slegr, pick up Simpson

Todd Simpson was exposed in the waiver draft. Looking at our current D, while it is HUGE, it is not in any way, shape or form, "intimidating". Really only Allen is a "mean" d-man, and we don't even know if Crow is willing to play him every day (he DESPISES rookie D, at least that is the impression I have gotten from him). Given Slegr's redundancy (with Sopel/Salo around), would you risk exposing Slegr to pick up Todd Simpson? Please explain why as well, or this is the last time I post a poll :p

Old
10-02-2003, 04:46 PM
Jewelly

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waveburner
Todd Simpson was exposed in the waiver draft. Looking at our current D, while it is HUGE, it is not in any way, shape or form, "intimidating". Really only Allen is a "mean" d-man, and we don't even know if Crow is willing to play him every day (he DESPISES rookie D, at least that is the impression I have gotten from him). Given Slegr's redundancy (with Sopel/Salo around), would you risk exposing Slegr to pick up Todd Simpson? Please explain why as well, or this is the last time I post a poll :p
Ummm, where's you poll?

Old
10-02-2003, 04:50 PM
Jewelly

vCash:
I voted pick up Simpson and drop Slegr like a hot potatoe b/c that's what my very knowlegable 'Nucks fans have indicated all day long.

Honestly though, I'm totally relying on the knowlege and experience of faithful Canucks' fans on this board and the majority seems to think that Simpson is better than Slegr.

Old
10-02-2003, 04:53 PM
cyrisweb

Pick up Simpson and his toughness.. but also pick up 1.6 million for a 6th dman? Also pick up his terrible and consistant penalties?

Old
10-02-2003, 04:54 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewelly
I voted pick up Simpson and drop Slegr like a hot potatoe b/c that's what my very knowlegable 'Nucks fans have indicated all day long.

Honestly though, I'm totally relying on the knowlege and experience of faithful Canucks' fans on this board and the majority seems to think that Simpson is better than Slegr.
Then how come there are zero votes under "Pickup Simpson, drop Slegr"? :p Liar! I banish thee to far off lands...or something...

Old
10-02-2003, 04:56 PM
maruk14

I voted keep Slegr/Lindgren.

Simpson is a physical defenseman, but his untimely and selfish penalties outweigh the good he does, IMO. Also, Slegr is a good enough puck moving, skating defenseman to play in our system and I question how Simpson would fit in. Sure he would add toughness, but Slegr is a better player, IMO. I also think Slegr's physical play is underrated on this board and fans will be pleasantly surprised by how physical he really is. I am not saying he is a brute, but he isn't soft by any means, and is on a par with Ohlund as far as physical play goes.

Old
10-02-2003, 04:56 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrisweb
Pick up Simpson and his toughness.. but also pick up 1.6 million for a 6th dman? Also pick up his terrible and consistant penalties?
To be fair, Slegr is known for his bone-headed penalties as well...although at half the price...I don't think Burke would do it, as he has never been a risk taker really...

Old
10-02-2003, 04:57 PM
maruk14

Quote:
Given Slegr's redundancy (with Sopel/Salo around), would you risk exposing Slegr to pick up Todd Simpson? Please explain why as well, or this is the last time I post a poll :p
So how did you vote? I assume drop Slegr for Simpson but it is not completely clear.

Old
10-02-2003, 05:00 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

Quote:
Originally Posted by maruk14
So how did you vote? I assume drop Slegr for Simpson but it is not completely clear.

Actually, I voted pickup Simpson, drop Lindgren :p it would leave us with 8 NHL d-men, but that is a great problem to have, IMO. Plus I don't think Lindgren would get taken either. It is a lot of salary though, which is why it won't happen-but I would do it.

Old
maruk14

Quote:
To be fair, Slegr is known for his bone-headed penalties as well...although at half the price...I don't think Burke would do it, as he has never been a risk taker really...
True, but I think Simpson takes more. Overall, reading the Coyotes board they were split 50/50 on his being exposed, maybe slightly in favor of "Why would we do that?". The fans who won't miss him talked about his horribly untimely and selfish penalties .... Tucker like where it becomes a spectacle. Just going by what I read, not first hand knowledge as I can't stand the Coyotes so I don't watch many of their games.

Plus Slegr is a better hockey player overall.

Old
Jewelly

vCash:
Quote:
Then how come there are zero votes under "Pickup Simpson, drop Slegr"? :p Liar! I banish thee to far off lands...or something...
Okay, maybe it was on the main board I read it. Or maybe I dreamt it or something. I have very weird dreams these days since being on my anti-psychotic drugs.

Old
10-02-2003, 05:02 PM
maruk14

Quote:

Actually, I voted pickup Simpson, drop Lindgren :p it would leave us with 8 NHL d-men, but that is a great problem to have, IMO. Plus I don't think Lindgren would get taken either. It is a lot of salary though, which is why it won't happen-but I would do it.
Might not be a bad move. I am certainly not completely opposed to picking up Simpson, that's for sure. 8 NHL defenseman means we could move one for that top 6 forward we are all longing for ... (maybe King will step up this year though )

Old
10-02-2003, 05:03 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

Quote:
True, but I think Simpson takes more. Overall, reading the Coyotes board they were split 50/50 on his being exposed, maybe slightly in favor of "Why would we do that?". The fans who won't miss him talked about his horribly untimely and selfish penalties .... Tucker like where it becomes a spectacle. Just going by what I read, not first hand knowledge as I can't stand the Coyotes so I don't watch many of their games.

I agree overall Slegr>Simpson...but I really think our D is too soft, despite how enormous it is...if Allen plays full-time, then it becomes only a minor issue. If he doesn't, I don't think many opposition forwards will be afraid of plowing into Cloutier/Hedberg.

Old
10-02-2003, 05:06 PM
maruk14

Quote:
I agree overall Slegr>Simpson...but I really think our D is too soft, despite how enormous it is...if Allen plays full-time, then it becomes only a minor issue. If he doesn't, I don't think many opposition forwards will be afraid of plowing into Cloutier/Hedberg.
Agreed on that. I just don't see us carrying 8 defenseman on the roster. If we could package up Sopel plus for a top 6 forward then picking up Simpson and managing to hang onto Allen would be brilliant. All of a sudden out overall toughness on D gets pretty good. Pipe dream though.

Old
10-02-2003, 05:08 PM
hackey

The 'nucks pick something like 32 in the waiver draft so odds are Simpson will be pick up by someone else anyway.

Old
10-02-2003, 05:12 PM
Jewelly

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackey
The 'nucks pick something like 32 in the waiver draft so odds are Simpson will be pick up by someone else anyway.
Reality speaks.

Old
10-02-2003, 05:49 PM
maruk14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewelly
Reality speaks.
Yeah, but what does reality have to do with this board anyway :p

Old
10-02-2003, 05:53 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

Actually, most teams tend to pass the first couple rounds...also the higher salary guys rarely get picked up...

Old
10-02-2003, 05:57 PM
PecaFan

Quote:
I'm not so sure about that myself. Looking up Simpson's stats, I was impressed. He's put up some solid numbers on some so-so teams. And at least he's been playing, unlike Slegr with only half a season in the past two years.

They don't play the same style at all, so it's tough to compare them. But I think our defense needs Simpson's hard nosed style more than Slegr's.

Old
10-02-2003, 06:04 PM
Mizral

'Dump Slegr'?

Sorry, do you understand how the waiver draft works?

If we were to take Todd Simpson (and his $1.1 million dollar contract or thereabouts, I should add), we would still have Slegr or Lindgren. Nobody is going to take either of those guys off waivers.

So, no, I'm not up for taking on another defensemen for another million bucks who isn't going to play. I'm not sure how good Slegr is, but Simpson really is no better than a #6 man. For $1+ million dollars, no thanks.

Old
10-02-2003, 06:09 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
'Dump Slegr'?

Sorry, do you understand how the waiver draft works?

If we were to take Todd Simpson (and his $1.1 million dollar contract or thereabouts, I should add), we would still have Slegr or Lindgren. Nobody is going to take either of those guys off waivers.

So, no, I'm not up for taking on another defensemen for another million bucks who isn't going to play. I'm not sure how good Slegr is, but Simpson really is no better than a #6 man. For $1+ million dollars, no thanks.
Actually, when the waiver discussion was brought up on the trade boards-almost everyone thought Slegr would get picked up for certain in the waiver draft if exposed. There are some hurting D's out there.

Old
10-02-2003, 06:19 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Actually, when the waiver discussion was brought up on the trade boards-almost everyone thought Slegr would get picked up for certain in the waiver draft if exposed. There are some hurting D's out there.
Lots of people thought Marty Reasoner would FOR SURE be taken by a team too.

Almost everyone thought Alexei Kovalev would get at least one good player in return.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Old
10-02-2003, 06:21 PM
maruk14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PecaFan
I'm not so sure about that myself. Looking up Simpson's stats, I was impressed. He's put up some solid numbers on some so-so teams. And at least he's been playing, unlike Slegr with only half a season in the past two years.

They don't play the same style at all, so it's tough to compare them. But I think our defense needs Simpson's hard nosed style more than Slegr's.
Well, first of all, I hate the stats argument because it only tells part of the story, and you aren't going to judge a player like Simpson based on his stats because a lot of what he does doesn't show up on the stats sheet. Looking at these 2 players side by side Slegr's stats are immensely better than Simpson's. No contest.

The fact that Slegr didn't play last year in the NHL is a hollow argument as well. He was looking for a contract he didn't get. It's not like he played in Europe because he wasn't an NHL caliber player who didn't get any offers from other teams. He was just looking for more money than teams were offering so he went home. No harm in that from my perspective. I don't think because Simpson played last year in the NHL and Slegr didn't it makes Simpson a better hockey player.

Looking at skills let's break it down this way. Feel free to add any thing I missed.

Skating - Slegr
Passing - Slegr
Physical Play - Simpson
PP ability - Slegr
PK ability - Push

This doesn't necessarily mean I wouldn't like Simpson on the team because he does add some nice things, I just think as a hockey player overall Slegr is better.

Old
10-02-2003, 06:24 PM
Impossibles

I think everybody here is under-rating slegr for some reason.

Slegr has matured into a very strong, smart defenseman. His physical game has improved a lot and his offensive skills are under-rated.

Slegr will probably put up around 35 points, which is very good for a #6 D-man.

The canucks are going to have to go for team-toughness, and the defenseman that we already have are going to have to step up the physical play and make teams fear coming into our zone.

Old
10-02-2003, 06:29 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossibles
I think everybody here is under-rating slegr for some reason.

Slegr has matured into a very strong, smart defenseman. His physical game has improved a lot and his offensive skills are under-rated.

Slegr will probably put up around 35 points, which is very good for a #6 D-man.

The canucks are going to have to go for team-toughness, and the defenseman that we already have are going to have to step up the physical play and make teams fear coming into our zone.
I really think asking players to play unfamiliar roles is a bad idea. It bit us in the ass when Sopel tried to play more offensive. You start asking Salo/Malik/Sopel to step up the physical play, and mistakes will result.

Closed Thread