HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stupid Madden, Rossi, Anderson et al Tricks Pt. II

Closed Thread

Old
04-10-2014, 12:57 PM
IcedCapp
Yummy and Delicious

vCash: 500
If the Pens didn't want to win, they could have sat Crosby et al again

Old
04-10-2014, 12:59 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesedanish87 View Post
DB did say before the game pens were going to try to do some different things against the wings, that is probably why Rorabaugh wrote that.
If you don't think people haven't figured your game out by now...

Old
04-10-2014, 01:04 PM
cheesedanish87

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
If you don't think people haven't figured your game out by now...

Old
04-10-2014, 01:12 PM
cheesedanish87

I'm listening to pens radio right now, apparently Babcock was asked about BB before the game and he responded by saying something like who is BB.

Old
04-10-2014, 01:16 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
I'm listening to pens radio right now, apparently Babcock was asked about BB before the game and he responded by saying something like who is BB.
And should he say anything different? While talented he's a relative nobody

Old
04-10-2014, 01:21 PM
cheesedanish87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
And should he say anything different? While talented he's a relative nobody
I'm not expecting Babcock to praise BB, but he could of just said something like hes playing on the top line and were going to have to try and shut down that line.

Old
04-10-2014, 01:31 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
I'm not expecting Babcock to praise BB, but he could of just said something like hes playing on the top line and were going to have to try and shut down that line.
Oh well. He doesn't need to show him any respect. He's got at least 2 or 3 Bennett level prospects in his system

Old
04-10-2014, 01:50 PM
MrBurghundy
Relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Oh well. He doesn't need to show him any respect. He's got at least 2 or 3 Bennett level prospects in his system
Well quite frankly, they are better than Bennett right now too. I'd kill to have those 3 guys on our team. Somehow Detroit managed it while winning just as many cups as us. You put Crosby and/or Malkin on that team, and they would be ridiculous.

Old
04-10-2014, 01:54 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
Well quite frankly, they are better than Bennett right now too. I'd kill to have those 3 guys on our team. Somehow Detroit managed it while winning just as many cups as us. You put Crosby and/or Malkin on that team, and they would be ridiculous.
Their personnel on defense is pretty meh though. That's what will keep them from winning another Cup more than anything.

Old
04-10-2014, 01:55 PM
MrBurghundy
Relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Their personnel on defense is pretty meh though. That's what will keep them from winning another Cup more than anything.
That's true I guess, but its not like we are playing our prospects now anyway.

Old
04-10-2014, 01:57 PM
IcedCapp
Yummy and Delicious

I wonder if DK is one of us.

Hey, Dejan, if you read this, could you tweet out something like,

"john has a long mustache"

and

"the chair is against the wall" ?!?!?

Thanks!

Old
04-10-2014, 01:59 PM
mpp9

Quote:
That's true I guess, but its not like we are playing our prospects now anyway.
I have very low expectations this season. But starting next year, if we're not rolling at least two young guys on our defense regularly, and we didn't go out and acquire the necessary depth up front with the cap savings, I'll be just about done with this coach and management group.

Old
04-10-2014, 02:00 PM
MrBurghundy
Relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
I have very low expectations this season. But starting next year, if we're not rolling at least two young guys on our defense regularly, and we didn't go out and acquire the necessary depth up front with the cap savings, I'll be just about done with this coach and management group.
I'm with you there.

Old
04-10-2014, 02:07 PM
Til the End of Time

all these lessons should have been learned after the flyers series or boston series.

i'm so tired of this regime being given further chances to learn from their mistakes. it already should be quite clear that they are incompetent and are incapable of learning/improving.

Old
04-10-2014, 02:09 PM
mpp9

Quote:
I'm with you there.
Last year's playoffs following the Philly collapse broke me. I was watching game 1 and 2 of the Boston series with one of my best friends who's a die hard Bruins fan. It was awful.

Old
04-10-2014, 02:09 PM
IcedCapp
Yummy and Delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
all these lessons should have been learned after the flyers series or boston series.

i'm so tired of this regime being given further chances to learn from their mistakes. it already should be quite clear that they are incompetent.
I still think it goes back to Montreal.

That the Pens lost that series wasn't bad. There were a lot of reasons for them to lose, and back-to-backs in this day and age are just really hard to ask.

But Shero learned the wrong lessons from that series and everything he's done since has been chasing those decisions.

Old
04-10-2014, 02:27 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Seth Rorabaugh ‏@emptynetters 13h
Game blog updated with postgame thoughts. The #Penguins were outplayed, but that may have been by design: http://*******/1iyFY7e

"No one looking at this game objectively should dispute that the Penguins were outplayed. They where for large stretches of this game. The Red Wings controlled the puck better and generated a lot more quality scoring chances. If not for a few lucky bounces... especially one lucky bounce in the shootout ... and the goaltending of Marc-Andre Fleury, the Red Wings would have come away with a clean two points."

"What is up for dispute is how true of an approach to this game the Penguins offered. Will the Penguins take this same plan of attack once the postseason starts? By Dan Bylsma's own suggestion, the Penguins did not plan to offer a true game plan for this contest. Were they outplayed by a better team or because they didn't play their game (to borrow from the lexicon of Penguins fans)?"

hehehehehehehehehehehe

That's right Seth. Dan Bylsma has waited 4 years to unleash a brand new gameplan on the world, and didn't want to give anything away.
Seth "Bobby Orr doesn't know what he's talking about" Rorabaugh might be right (for once). Remember, Bylsma pulled this same act in the Olympics against Babcock.

"everybody knows we're a fast, physical forechecking team...I know! I'll surprise Canada by playing prevent defense from the drop of the puck."

We all know how that worked out.

Old
04-10-2014, 05:51 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
I wonder if DK is one of us.

Hey, Dejan, if you read this, could you tweet out something like,

"john has a long mustache"

and

"the chair is against the wall" ?!?!?

Thanks!
All that hate is gonna burn you up kid.

Old
04-10-2014, 06:10 PM
Warm Cookies
The Dynamic Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
I qualified my position by saying you could in fact question anyone's accomplishments in a shortened season, did I not? I also gave the Sens credit for beating the Habs soundly. It doesn't change the fact that their roster was vastly inferior to the Pens.

It was pretty well agreed upon the East was essentially a bunch of pretenders and the Pens/Boston last season. With a stacked roster, why exactly would anyone be stoked the Pens didn't **** the bed agt teams much less talented than them? Is that where we are at with this org now? Hoping they don't choke and being satisfied they just won a couple of series agt half decent teams?

That's sad if that's your viewpoint.
You said you could question the Sens and Isles accomplishments last year because it was a shortened season, then used the fact that neither was making the playoffs this year to support it. If that's the standard, no problem.

But when the Sens beating the Habs was brought up, you suggested that Montreal wasn't as good as the shortened season made them look, which sort of flies in the face of what was said earlier since the Habs are in 3rd this year. After I pointed that out you started listing off playoff upsets, which was a change in position. Discrediting the opponent didn't work by the established standard, so the "underdogs can surprise quality teams" card got played. It just seems like so much maneuvering to find reasons why the Pens' recent playoff wins have all been against cannon fodder. When one argument doesn't work, load up another.

Boston was clearly the only legit contender the Pens played in the playoffs last year, but the Isles and Sens were good teams in their own right. I'm not saying that's enough to be satisfied, I just think the teams we faced are being mischaracterized as gimmies.

Quote:
The Isles gave the Pens a much better series than the Sens. I wouldn't say the Isles cooled off. They were done in by one of the worst goaltending performances I've ever witnessed this side of MAF. If the Isles had even avg goaltending, we wouldn't even be talking about the Sens series.
But again, it comes back to teams/players mysteriously collapsing at the moment they play the Pens. Maybe it's just that the Pens have a potent offense that can often pick good teams/goalies apart, rather these clubs all coincidentally falling apart against us.

Quote:
The Pens scored two goals the entire series bro. The minute Boston put up their first goal in game 1, it was over. DB unseen goals don't count in the playoffs, sorry.
The Pens couldn't score, clearly. That doesn't mean they didn't compete, or generate their share of shots and chances. They actually outshot Boston in the series and generated 50+ shots in Game 3.

DB's "force field" comment was clumsy, but when you refuse to call out players individually, there aren't many ways to tactfully say we got tons of shots/chances but our guys just couldn't find the back of the net. The Pens had scored at will against the Isles and Sens, and it all dried up against the Bruins, though not for a lack of opportunity. This is the sort of thing I'm talking about:

Not going to get much better chances than that.

Quote:
So then in your estimation the poor Pens happened to not get any breaks, and lost four in a row for the first time in the playoffs in 34 years, because of... Bad luck?

That's a **** load of bad luck kid. The likes that I've never seen in all my years watching and playing this beautiful game.
I think it was great defense, great goaltending, and an inability to convert the good chances the team did have. Sid having the worst series of his career didn't help either.

Quote:
How about they beat a team that isn't inferior to them? That isn't much to ask, is it? Because every time they have played a team with as much or similar talent to them since the cup, they have lost, and not just lost, it's been embarrassing in the majority of these series losses.
So essentially...Boston or the WC champs in the Cup Finals. That's what we all want, but it's also an exceptionally high standard.

Old
04-10-2014, 06:22 PM
IcedCapp
Yummy and Delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
All that hate is gonna burn you up kid.
It keeps me warm.

Old
04-10-2014, 06:45 PM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

Quote:
Seth Rorabaugh ‏@emptynetters 13h
Game blog updated with postgame thoughts. The #Penguins were outplayed, but that may have been by design: http://*******/1iyFY7e

"No one looking at this game objectively should dispute that the Penguins were outplayed. They where for large stretches of this game. The Red Wings controlled the puck better and generated a lot more quality scoring chances. If not for a few lucky bounces... especially one lucky bounce in the shootout ... and the goaltending of Marc-Andre Fleury, the Red Wings would have come away with a clean two points."

"What is up for dispute is how true of an approach to this game the Penguins offered. Will the Penguins take this same plan of attack once the postseason starts? By Dan Bylsma's own suggestion, the Penguins did not plan to offer a true game plan for this contest. Were they outplayed by a better team or because they didn't play their game (to borrow from the lexicon of Penguins fans)?"

hehehehehehehehehehehe

That's right Seth. Dan Bylsma has waited 4 years to unleash a brand new gameplan on the world, and didn't want to give anything away.
Do they not proof read their articles? English is his birth language, he should be able to at least get the basics correct. The Trib sure seems to have pretty low standards for their beat writers. No real understanding of the game of hockey? No problem, you just repeat what the Pens PR people tell you. Failed English? No problem, no one will notice those little mistakes anyway.

Old
04-10-2014, 06:56 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
So essentially...Boston or the WC champs in the Cup Finals. That's what we all want, but it's also an exceptionally high standard.
I think Philly and Detroit would fit Jiggy's description of a team not vastly outmatched in talent. Especially with how well Philly's played in our building in recent years.

If we beat Philly this weekend, it's very possible we get them in the 1st round and Boston gets Detroit. There's almost always an upset in the 1st round, so if it's not us, we could be facing both of those teams (Philly and Detroit) in consecutive rounds. I'll give the Pens their due if they beat both of those teams.

Old
04-10-2014, 08:29 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
You said you could question the Sens and Isles accomplishments last year because it was a shortened season, then used the fact that neither was making the playoffs this year to support it. If that's the standard, no problem.

But when the Sens beating the Habs was brought up, you suggested that Montreal wasn't as good as the shortened season made them look, which sort of flies in the face of what was said earlier since the Habs are in 3rd this year. After I pointed that out you started listing off playoff upsets, which was a change in position. Discrediting the opponent didn't work by the established standard, so the "underdogs can surprise quality teams" card got played. It just seems like so much maneuvering to find reasons why the Pens' recent playoff wins have all been against cannon fodder. When one argument doesn't work, load up another.
Ya I took several angles, not just one angle, so you aren't exactly offering some groundbreaking insight here DD. Why would I look at one angle when there are a number of legit reasons to show the Sens were a far inferior team to the Pens?

- I offered up the argument that the shortened season was a reason these two teams even made the playoffs. then pointed to the fact that they aren't in the playoffs this season to support the idea.

- I agreed with the fact that you could call out any teams accomplishments in a short season after your retort. I then threw out the possible scenario that the short season might have helped the Habs look better than they actually were as well.

- I discussed the Sens inferior roster, including two 38+ year olds and two rookies making up their top 5 scorers.

- I discussed the extremely atypical record setting season for Anderson, and how it was unsustainable. I also pointed out that he was essentially the reason they made it that far and when he fell back down to earth, the Sens roster was far too inferior to pick up the slack.

- If the Habs were in fact a strong team, which is the argument you want to hang your hat on, I offered up the fact that the Sens would not have been the first Cinderella team to take out a good team and eventually turn into a pumpkin.

Quote:
Boston was clearly the only legit contender the Pens played in the playoffs last year, but the Isles and Sens were good teams in their own right. I'm not saying that's enough to be satisfied, I just think the teams we faced are being mischaracterized as gimmies.
Shero loaded up the team and sold away a big chunk of the future to do so. So, again, beating two inferior teams isn't anything to brag about.

And the Pens got damn lucky that Nabby was such a massive trainwreck. Let's not overlook that.

Quote:
But again, it comes back to teams/players mysteriously collapsing at the moment they play the Pens. Maybe it's just that the Pens have a potent offense that can often pick good teams/goalies apart, rather these clubs all coincidentally falling apart against us.
The Isles never fell apart, Nabokov **** the bed. That's why the Sharks got rid of him, or did you miss his last couple of playoff seasons before last year? That's what he does. He's a lot like MAF. So crediting the Pens with turning him into a trainwreck is disingenuous.

The Pens overwhelmed Anderson and I've given them credit for breaking him. However, once again, the team in front of him was quite inferior. He was bound to come back to earth eventually.

Also, I wouldn't say scoring two goals on Rask while being swept was "picking" him apart. That's just me though.

Quote:
The Pens couldn't score, clearly. That doesn't mean they didn't compete, or generate their share of shots and chances. They actually outshot Boston in the series and generated 50+ shots in Game 3.

DB's "force field" comment was clumsy, but when you refuse to call out players individually, there aren't many ways to tactfully say we got tons of shots/chances but our guys just couldn't find the back of the net. The Pens had scored at will against the Isles and Sens, and it all dried up against the Bruins, though not for a lack of opportunity. This is the sort of thing I'm talking about:

Not going to get much better chances than that.
This just reads like "wheel of excuses" I gotta be frank. You don't get swept for the first time in 34 years because of bad luck. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Quote:
I think it was great defense, great goaltending, and an inability to convert the good chances the team did have. Sid having the worst series of his career didn't help either.
Ya, it was a real bummer. Almost had them in game 7. Pens didn't get to their game. They didn't get the bounces. Too many options. The unseen goals didn't count.

Quote:
What's wrong with having high standards? I'd say the standard around this org is to make excuses and point to their regular season success as some sort of twisted re-direction for naive fans that will buy that BS.

I'm fine with them losing a close, well played series agt legit, talented teams. I'm not fine with four years of excuses and embarrassments.

Old
04-10-2014, 08:52 PM
Fire Shero*

Jurco, Tatar and Nyquist > Bennett

No one outside of pittsburgh gives two ***** about bennett. I'm not sure what Babcock is supposed to say about him?

Old
04-10-2014, 10:10 PM
vodeni

Quote:
I guess he is not reading this board

Closed Thread