HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tavares or Subban ?

View Poll Results: Would you trade Subban for Tavares ? (one on one)
YES 143 71.86%
NO 56 28.14%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-08-2014, 11:09 PM
hockeyfan2k11

vCash: 500
Would throw in DD too.

hockeyfan2k11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 11:30 PM
Genesis76

vCash: 50
So you guys wanna trade a Norris winner/top 5 NHL D for an injury prone/top 11 center with average career stats?

Thats pretty crazy and ********.

You guys listen to too much Subban Bashing radio/tv shows.

Watch the games your self's for once

Genesis76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 11:46 PM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
I missed the part where that trade is a clear win for us.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 11:59 PM
1UP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Fixed your list.

There's no one else RIGHT NOW that is worth more than Subban outside of this list.
Price

Good thing we have him!

But, honestly, PK vs Tavares? No. I wouldn't. Why? Because if you have a top level D, you keep him. They're much harder to come by than top level forwards. Tavares isn't that much better than PK to overwrite that rule.

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 12:47 AM
Xzotik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe Armstrong View Post
Wouldn't trade Subban for Chris Webber, he's retired, all he's good for is Burger King commercials.
Hahahahahahhahaha my goodness epic

Xzotik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 02:26 AM
TravisF

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!! NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PK Subbban is the most exciting player i've seen on the Habs in decades, and super talented.

TravisF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 03:37 AM
compile
Give me Scotch!

vCash: 483
Send a message via Skype™ to compile
What am I witnessing in this thread?
If Subban on a bad year has 50 pts... I don't even.. I'm lost for words.

compile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 03:46 AM
attachetatuque
un gros bonhomme!

I voted no. I think that a player like Subban is just as hard to come across as a guy like Tavares. And we would probably have to give up another asset for ther NYI to consider trading their franchise player and captain. I think that Galchenyuk will develop into a poor man's Tavares, at least point production wise (something like 65-70pts per year with a few PPG).

If we would trade Subban for JT, I'd probably trade Galchenyuk for a #1 D that would end up being a poor man's Subban.

Is it better to have an A+ Forward and an A- D or an A- Forward and an A+ D?

attachetatuque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 04:55 AM
Mr. Hab

Subban will help us bring the Cup back to Mtl...so what the **** is up with all these hypothetical trade Subban threads?! (it's hypothetical but it gets a lot of Hab fans going). And...Tavares and Subban are good buddies...you could try and get them together (Galchenyuk + __?__ FOR Tavares.... is just an example, but I'm very happy with our 19 year-young Galchy, thank-you very much).

Subban is also an iron-man...always healthy (*knock on wood*)...this is key to any team that wants to win...the key players have to be healthy most of the time (part of winning...look at Chelios).

One more thing...Subban is a major playoffs winner/warrior (never ever trade playoff winners/warriors...never).

Subban is the most important Hab since...Patrick Roy.
(same as Price or almost...let's see what Price can do in playoffs for once...we need him to deliver the goods in a big way).

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 05:31 AM
chosen

If there was a draft to start the NHL all over again, and I had first pick, I would probably opt for Tavares.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 07:24 AM
bentheprop

Yes. I keep see people saying that they would rather gamble that Galchenyuk can become a #1 center but I prefer the odds that one of our many D prospects can become a #1 d-man.

bentheprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 07:42 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

If subban was having a great year I bet this poll would be pretty different.

I cited yes because subban's iq has always bothered me a little and this year, his worst year, it's in full display. Honestly, value is pretty even...

What we have to so is 'get' Johnny T to come here and play with his best bud subby

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 09:29 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Get Tavares, watch Markov retire, and watch Gorges become our #1 Dman. Awesomeness!

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 09:35 AM
borisbadenough

A center with 100pt potential whose next contract will be 100 million for a offensive defenseman whose next contract will be 50? laugh:

borisbadenough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 09:46 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

I love Subban, but wow, Tavares is a MUCH better hockey player and asset. He's one of the few centres that approaches Crosby territory.

Ohashi_Jouzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 09:46 AM
Johnny Budwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPie View Post
Oh come on. 23 year old Norris winner that would have otherwise probably not won it in a regular season.

I love Subban, but I'd trade him any day for a player like Tavares.
If you're willing to deal Subban for Tavares, you could do the same with Kessel.

Kessel and Tavares are in the same ballpark when it comes to elite offensive players. Kessel is a top 5 offensive force like Tavares. 2 80+ seasons in 3 years, and 6-time 30+ goal scorer, and he's barely 26 years old.

I'd pick Tavares over Kess solely because of his better, cap-friendly contract. 5.5 millions for a player like him is the best bargain in the league. But its easily a wash on pure hockey comparaisons, and Kessel is not as injury-prone as Tavares.

Thing is most people in Habs fandom would never deal PK for Kessel yet would not hesitate to pull the trigger for Tavares.

BTW I voted no.

Last edited by Johnny Budwick: 04-09-2014 at 10:37 AM.
Johnny Budwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 10:09 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengers View Post
Why not both?

That's right, and we know they're great close friends

So what would it take to get Tavares to Montreal?

Would you be willing to give up Galchenyuk + for him

I would

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 10:33 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
I love Subban, but wow, Tavares is a MUCH better hockey player and asset. He's one of the few centres that approaches Crosby territory.
And Subban has the potential to be the best Dman in the NHL, and Dmen in general are more valuable than forwards imo.

Old
04-09-2014, 10:38 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
And Subban has the potential to be the best Dman in the NHL.
Less potential that than Tavares becoming the best centre in the league, imo - and that's with Crosby in the equation. There aren't many as "complete" nor as talented as Johnny T out there. We're talking about two separate and distinct levels of hockey I.Q. here.

Old
04-09-2014, 10:42 AM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Man, we have to stop being homers at some point.

You guys wouldn't do Stamkos, Malkin or Crosby either ? This is ridiculous.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 10:44 AM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAlpha View Post
If you're willing to deal Subban for Tavares, you could do the same with Kessel.

Kessel and Tavares are in the same ballpark when it comes to elite offensive players. Kessel is a top 5 offensive force like Tavares. 2 80+ seasons in 3 years, and 6-time 30+ goal scorer, and he's barely 26 years old.

I'd pick Tavares over Kess solely because of his better, cap-friendly contract. 5.5 millions for a player like him is the best bargain in the league. But its easily a wash on pure hockey comparaisons, and Kessel is not as injury-prone as Tavares.

Thing is most people in Habs fandom would never deal PK for Kessel yet would not hesitate to pull the trigger for Tavares.

BTW I voted no.

Good god, no they're not.

You guys really don't watch hockey outside of the Habs, and it disappoint me.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 10:49 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Less potential that than Tavares becoming the best centre in the league, imo - and that's with Crosby in the equation. There aren't many as "complete" nor as talented as Johnny T out there. We're talking about two separate and distinct levels of hockey I.Q. here.
I think it's pretty stupid to compare Dmen to Forwards to begin with when both are of elite status. Who's better Doughty or Malkin? Shall we do the same with keepers? Keith or Price? It's pretty ridiculous. Put Tavares on defense, let's see how much hockey IQ he has over PK.
I'm not sure how someone with a questionable hockey IQ wins a Norris. Not sure how this makes any sense, at all.
I also believe you build your team from the back end moving forward, not the other way around.

And of course, this is during PK's worse career year. Did I mention he's 2nd on our team for scoring? 4th in the NHL Dman? Made Team Canada? 9th overall for Ice time?
And this is a bad year??? Ya, he's so not where Tavares is..

Old
04-09-2014, 10:49 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:

I do, a lot, and I wouldn't make that trade. Habs fans are just obsessed with offense.

Old
04-09-2014, 10:55 AM
Smokey Thompson

Quote:

Mrb1p, I know Tavares is on a whole other level from Kessel. He is probably a top 5 center in the league in terms of offense and his ability to slow down / control the play.

But if you take a look at recent cup winners, they all have 1 thing in common: legit #1 centre and an elite defenseman. For the past 3 winners, Kopitar Toews and Bergeron are elite Two-Way centres. Tavares is easily a better offensive centre than all 3, but all 3 are much better two-way forwards than Tavares.

The past 3 winners also had elite two-way defenseman in Keith, Doughty, Chara. Without their respective elite defensemen, these teams would not even have made the SCF.

In short, trading a young budding two-way defenseman, who until recently was considered elite by most around the league, for an elite centre who for all intents and purposes is one dimensional (even if he is one of the best at that one dimension) is not a way to build a championship team nowadays. You win with good goaltending, strong defence, and good two-way forwards, in that order.

Smokey Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 10:56 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I think it's pretty stupid to compare Dmen to Forwards to begin with when both are of elite status. Who's better Doughty or Malkin? Shall we do the same with keepers? Keith or Price? It's pretty ridiculous. Put Tavares on defense, let's see how much hockey IQ he has over PK.
I'm not sure how someone with a questionable hockey IQ wins a Norris. Not sure how this makes any sense, at all.
I also believe you build your team from the back end moving forward, not the other way around.

And of course, this is during PK's worse career year. Did I mention he's 2nd on our team for scoring? 4th in the NHL Dman? Made Team Canada? 9th overall for Ice time?
And this is a bad year??? Ya, he's so not where Tavares is..
PK is a top athlete and a professional, and thus he is able to have a huge impact on games - and over extended periods. But he is not in the same "calibre" tier as Tavares. Sorry. Backing up, saying that one person's hockey I.Q. is distinctly greater than another =/= one of the two having "questionable" hockey I.Q if we're starting at the "good" end of the scale.

And Tavares has actually received Selke votes playing on the Islanders of '10-'14. Let that sink in for a second. When the Hart voting comes out this year, let that sink in for a second, too (obviously expecting Tavares to garner significantly more votes than Subban).