HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bruce Boudreau

Old
04-06-2008, 11:45 AM
Backstrom #19
Trotz for president

vCash: 50
There are many deserving candidates this year, so I wouldn't be suprised to see the trophy go somewhere else. Bruce deserves it, he brought this team back from 15th place.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2008, 11:48 AM
HockeyCritter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsWolverinesUSA View Post
There are so many candidates this year. Heck, the three worst teams in the East all made the playoffs and th 10th place team looks like it may well end up the #1 seed. Even if Stephens isn't a serious contender, I see no way to parse out Carbonneau, Julien and BB. Montreal suffered some important free agent losses and shot to #1 in the East. Boston dealt with absurd injuries and somehow made the playoffs. And we all know BB's pitch.

Out west, it's hard to overlook what Trotz did with a Nashville team that was intent on getting rid of all of its good players. And Quenville's Avs suffered ridiculous injuries as well.

BB's first task will just getting into the top 3 finalists. I think he will, but it isn't 100%.

And, fwiw, I think Backstrom's candidacy is going to be hurt badly by the fact that Ovie is winning all these awards and BB is an Adams contender. Voters, especially those from north of the border and west of the mississippi, are not going to be comfortable with a team that qualified for the playoffs on the last day of the season racking up 6 of the 10 major awards.

I think Julien and Babcock are going to be two of the finalists for the Jack Adams.

Kane will most likely win the Calder - and I'm fine with that; kid's a great player.

HockeyCritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2008, 11:57 AM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icetime View Post
I was really getting tired of having a grudge against Hanlon but I just couldn't shake it and now that is just washed away in part because the new coach helped lead our team to an outstanding accomplishment. Now I can look at Hanlon and think well he must have done something right in helping many of the Caps develop the skills and hockey discipline that make this team so multi dimensional.
Interesting post. I thought before this season started, that Hanlon was our weakest link. But now I realize that regardless if I was right or wrong, that at least he didnt ruin our players. Hockey is a very mental sport, and he did not destroy any of our prospects confidence. The ironic part is that without him failing as bad as he did, we would have never gotten Bruce. I hope Hanlon takes note of what Bruce does and brings that same coaching style to Finland. and of course dontstopbelieving.mp3 along too.

Back on topic Bruce's charge into the playoffs from the cellar is unprecedented and I think will weigh heavily on the Adams, along with winning the division.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2008, 12:05 PM
capsfn95

I think he should get it, but realistic i think he will just get a nomination.

capsfn95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2008, 12:15 PM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

Bruce's Resume: He was here for 60+ games and compiled a great record. We were in last place. Our team is very young. We lost arguably 2 top 6 forwards and a 4/5 Dman for the final 3 months. Yet we won the division and are a team no one wants to play. He peaked our team at the end of the year, exactly what a great coach has to do to be successful. It's not easy winning all those late season games. He has won 11 of 12 and 7 straight.

I dont know the resumes of the other candidates though, nor the exact criteria the voters look for.

Old
04-06-2008, 12:49 PM
ISukAtLyfe

I think he should get it as well. Dunno if he will though. He'l have tough competition in Carbonneau, Babcock, and Sutter.

ISukAtLyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2008, 12:59 PM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

One thing that Bruce has done advertantly or not, was that he implemented a system that could win now. He did not implement a complex system that gave players defensive responsibilities zones - too much thinking. Hockey is a fast sport that requires instincts. Implementing a boring complex defense first system would have set the team back a year or two. These guys all know how to play hockey already, and he just lets them play without thinking. All the former caps coaches of yesteryear should hang their heads low.

Old
04-06-2008, 12:59 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

He sure as hell better win.

The other frontrunners:

Babcock - Took a team that was expected to be very good and made them great.

Laviolette - Managed through a crippling number of injuries almost to the playoffs

Quenneville - Managed through a crippling number of injuries and took his team to the playoffs

Carbonneau - Took a team expected to be a 7-8 seed to the brink of 1st in the conference.

Boudreau's overachieved, managed through injuries (#1 center, #4 dman for virtually his entire tenure), and he did it with a young team that he inherited in last place.

I don't see how he can not win.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2008, 01:10 PM
ManicJason

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Laviolette - Managed through a crippling number of injuries almost to the playoffs
This argument really doesn't hold after the last two weeks. He's out.

ManicJason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2008, 03:10 PM
Poke06

I'm all for Coach Boudreau being nominated and getting the Adams. Unfortunately we aren't the ones doing or involved in the voting. The other night on I believe TSN they asked that very same questions to their comentators along with Pierre McGuire and all said that he was deserving of the award but they would not vote for a first year coach in the NHL.

And I'm afraid that very same feeling will filter on down to whomever is casting their ballots...

Poke06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2008, 03:30 PM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

I can see why a guy that wasnt there for the full tilt would get slighted. It's like letting a guy win a race that skipped the first leg. But the way I see it, Bruce gave everyone a 20 game head start and still won the race.

Old
04-08-2008, 03:52 PM
dcsfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I can see why a guy that wasnt there for the full tilt would get slighted. It's like letting a guy win a race that skipped the first leg. But the way I see it, Bruce gave everyone a 20 game head start and still won the race.
I would disagree with your analogy a bit.

He didn't skip the first leg. He just started the second leg in last place but caught up.

dcsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 03:59 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

I love Bruce to death and I do believe he just preformed one of the greatest coaching jobs in recent NHL history....but gotta go with Carbonneau since he did it for the entire season and got his team to first place in the conference.

It's close...but Id give the nod to Carbonneau.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 04:53 PM
capsfn95

when do the finalist get annouced?

Also TSN polled the coaches and Bruce came in third.
I think it was

Carbo 11
Babcock 7
Bruce 2

capsfn95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 05:30 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

The Caps are going to get the Art Ross, the Richard, the Hart, almost certainly the Pearson; and a one in three shot, most likely the runner-up slot, for the Calder.

Shouldn't matter? Maybe so, but were I a third party sportswriter without any ties to the Caps, I might be thinking to myself that this is enough for one club, when there are plenty of deserving candidates for the Jack Adams.

It's already the Year of Ovechkin. I think most will figure that's enough for one franchise.

For what it's worth, Babcock has been the front runner all year in my book, and a thoroughly deserving candidate this year.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 06:12 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

I just can't get passed that this guy has done something that's never been done before. I understand and respect the reasons for Carb, Bab, and Julien. But those roads all have had their paths cleared. BB is in unexplored territory.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 06:33 PM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsfn95 View Post

I think it was

Carbo 11
Babcock 7
Bruce 2
Well that does not bode well for Bruce. Maybe I need to look at the criteria for the Adams. It seems total points is most important. Obviously the things Bruce did dont score well. Carbs posted a great record and finished the year strong to barely get the top spot in the east. They have a quality team IMO D looks OK and had great goaltending haha, I just dont see anything that Carb did other than not hit an iceberg. Low expectations seemed to help them but not us. But I am not an all knowing habs fan so perhaps he had the guys believing more than Bruce.

Old
04-08-2008, 06:38 PM
KenAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsfn95 View Post

I think it was

Carbo 11
Babcock 7
Bruce 2
IIRC, they did that polling several games before the Caps made the playoffs.

KenAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 07:04 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

Only way he gets it is if we go to the cup, and yes i know its a regular season award.

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 07:06 PM
ISukAtLyfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post
Only way he gets it is if we go to the cup, and yes i know its a regular season award.
The voting is done this week I believe, so that won't matter.

ISukAtLyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 09:43 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Correct. The voting is done before the playoffs start, and then sealed.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 11:50 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Who got more out of the talent on their team than BB did with the Caps? To me, this is the coaches main job.

1) He gave young guys the opportunity and showed confidence in them that allowed them to succeed. BB turned a 22 YO d-man that looked absolutely lost and turned him into a 25+ minute defenseman that lead the league in goalscoring from his position. Add in the development of guys like Backstrom & Schultz and it's theres a bunch of guys who look like completely different players.

2) He took over a team in total dissarray and turned them into a top 4 team in the NHL (only SJ, DET & ? had more points since BB took over).

Julien can make a pretty good case as well. His team had some key injuries, and he got the most out of them as well.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 01:08 PM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

Ahh, injuries. We were without a healthy Semin almost half the year, we lost our top RW last year, team captain, and 30 goal guy for the final 4 months, we lost a top line center for the final half of the season, a total of 125 games of top line guys. We lost Pothier for 40+ games, right when his game turned around. I wonder if other candidates lost so much of their top line guys.

Old
04-09-2008, 08:14 PM
LobsterMobster

Quick story about Boudreau. Some Caps fans might know about this, but I wanted to share for those who haven't.

In 1998, I moved to Gulfport, Mississippi and quickly began to root for the ECHL Sea Wolves, coached by Bruce. My wife could get tickets for free from work so we went to a lot of games. That 1998-1999 season they did well and went to the playoffs, advancing all the way to the Kelly Cup Finals. They got off to bad start, falling behind 3 games to 1, but managed to fight back and win games 5 and 6 to force a game 7. I managed to get tickets to the game and wound up being one of my favorite sports memories. The Sea Wolves found themselves down 3-1 in the 3rd period, but Boudreau wouldn't let the team quit. They battled back and scored twice late in the period to tie the game. In overtime the whole arena was on the edge of their seats, but nobody scored through 20 minutes. About halfway through the 2nd overtime the Sea Wolves scored and the place went wild.

Ever since then, I was a big Boudreau fan and knew what he was capable of. I was glad to hear it when he got the chance with the Caps, even though honestly I've never liked team (Panthers fan since day one). But since once again the Panthers missed the playoffs, I've decided to pull for the Caps just because of Bruce.

Enjoy the playoffs.

LobsterMobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2008, 08:40 PM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

Mike Green was on the local radio station here DC101. Uber Cap fan jock Elliott asked Green if he thought that Bruce should win the coach of the year. I dont remember his exact words but Green is definitely on board thinking he deserves it. He may have been getting his mohawk during the interview.