HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bruce Boudreau

Old
04-24-2014, 01:41 AM
OldHat

vCash: 500
Back to Halak for a couple of points.

Did he make a lot of saves? Yes. Were there many "holy ****" saves? Not at all.
It's not just about perimeter shots - it's about shots into the crest, shots wide, shots into shinnies. Shots coming from the point after Green waits 2 or 3 beats to take the shot. Telegraphed plays that were as obvious as, well, telegraphed plays.

Like someone said previously - there's a difference between a 1 foot break to an open net and a guy slamming the puck onto a tender's pad as he sits in the butterfly. It's not so much an argument of where they came from but how they got there and what happened just before the shot.

Kudos to Halak for making lots of saves and being focused enough to not give up bad goals - but that is about all he did. He's not Fuhr, or Hasek, or Brodeur. Not even just for that series.

The Habs got in their heads and the Caps were thinking way too much. OV and the Caps thought it was a sure thing (shaky water bottle hand) and when they faced adversity they choked on it.

OldHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 02:25 AM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Habs/Caps series=glass half empty=caps shot perimeter Habs did nothing but play 'the right way'. Caps half-full..domintation shifts habs troll down on their one opportunity and hey score. Honestly that series..being what it was just comes down to the better goalies.

04-24-2014, 08:29 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
br...nylander was hurt when boudreau arrived. he was trying to play thru it and trying to help backstrom as a rookie. recall that the surgeon said it was the worst injury of its kind that he had ever seen. he never recovered his strength. I don't think effort was ever an issue with circles.
I should have clarified...I meant his first full year as coach in 08-09. Nylander was healthy and started the season as the 2nd line center.

I think we lost that first game and Nylander did ok. He scored I think. Then it went downhill for a while and it either looks like Nylander lost 3 steps or that he just was not trying. He was awful and BB eventually made him a healthy scratch or at least demoted him down the lineup.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 12:44 AM
ahimsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
here's the thing. there is nothing in the, it was the caps fault, argument that says the team was fatally flawed. even if I stipulate that you are right, the team still dominated and should have won. it didn't need fundamental change in players, coaching and basic strategy.

what is a fact is that the result of that loss created huge criticism that they didn't play right and couldn't win with that type of team. that only added to the team's blow to their confidence. where the caps failed was in their own head after that defeat.

they should have stayed the course and felt good about it.
Sigh... I just watched on NHL Classics Game 7 of the Caps vs Montreal 2010. I had forgotten how good the Caps were. Kind of surprised that this is already a "Classic"

They look so different to what they are now. They were fast, made stretch passes played cohesively as a team. Ov came back and supported. Green was so good offensively creative and good defence too. Belanger played between Fehr and Chimera. I'd forgotten Brendan Morrison was on that team too.

They outshot Montreal 42-16. Montreal blocked 41 shots. The team in game 7 looked good as constructed. I'd like to see games 5 and 6 again just to see even though it makes me kind of sick thinking what could have been.

ahimsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 01:48 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

But Montreal wanted to allow 80+ shots towards the net. It was all part of their master plan.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 07:14 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Big View Post
Sigh... I just watched on NHL Classics Game 7 of the Caps vs Montreal 2010. I had forgotten how good the Caps were. Kind of surprised that this is already a "Classic"

They look so different to what they are now. They were fast, made stretch passes played cohesively as a team. Ov came back and supported. Green was so good offensively creative and good defence too. Belanger played between Fehr and Chimera. I'd forgotten Brendan Morrison was on that team too.

They outshot Montreal 42-16. Montreal blocked 41 shots. The team in game 7 looked good as constructed. I'd like to see games 5 and 6 again just to see even though it makes me kind of sick thinking what could have been.
somethings to remember.

1. they played the wrong way.
2. Ov has never backchecked and supported
3. Green was never good.
4. 83 doesn't count shots at the net that missed clean.
5. Ov could still look like that if the coach let him
6. Green is better on defense now than then and was not allowed to do any of the things you saw him do that in that game offensively by Oates.

They were good, but half the posters on this forum then didn't think so. It was still a country club and any monkey could have coached them to play like that.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 08:19 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1520
Wow Tex with the numbered listed to kick off the week! Bonus points for the Monkey reference. Fans complain about the team, you complain about them. Monkey see, monkey do.

What we saw then, were motivated players, only the grinders bottom guys always give that same effort. It's the stars. I am talking directly about Nick Green and Ovi. To be constructed as an offensive juggernaut aka exciting team, those 3 have to give an effort similar to 2010. You know, try to win. They don't need to learn, or forget how to, back check.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 05-05-2014 at 08:24 AM.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 08:50 AM
txpd

I think knowing the things we know now that it was not a lack of motivation. The system has been described at skating in the offensive zone to take away space, which doesn't mean skating hard. It means being in a place in the zone. It also meant staying off the boards and away from the hitting zones.

It surely could create listless play from players best used moving hard and with a purpose.

to me the stark difference in Green is the most obvious. Backstrom the least obvious because of his style of play. But Oates didn't want the puck on Backstrom's stick. He wanted short possessions and move the puck. not the playmaking we are used to seeing from that player.

In short Oates completely changed the way that 8, 19 and 52 played the game and in almost every case he managed to strip that player of his elite skills. Its a reason the ordinary players looked good and the good players looked ordinary.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 09:16 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Big View Post

Game 6 was about 1000x more lobsided than game 7. In fact that was one of the most lobsided games I've seen in years if not ever.

But I don't think its so much with the players...its been the style we've used that has reigned them in and not allowed them to do what they do best.

Its time to junk these stupid systems where we play all conservative and sit back. One after another since that series.

Old
05-05-2014, 11:49 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Game 6 was about 1000x more lobsided than game 7. In fact that was one of the most lobsided games I've seen in years if not ever.
It's actually "lopsided," referring to a ship that lists heavily ("lops") towards one side.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 12:04 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
It's actually "lopsided," referring to a ship that lists heavily ("lops") towards one side.
Thanks professor!

Old
05-06-2014, 10:45 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Got to feel for BB. Dumps over Sarge's head worked against him as Caps coach, now new rules make it a shorter race for the big guy. Let's see if BB keeps them doing that.

Go Kings!

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 02:58 PM
BobRouse

BB has giant bawls and once again shown it.

Goes with a rookie goalie over a proven veteran (who hasn't been great) in a crucial playoff game.

Reminds me of the decision to bench Thoedore vs the Rangers after 1 game in 08-09 to go with an unproven rookie with just a couple NHL games under his belt.

Oates bold decisions? Ovechkin with Crabb. Then Ovechkin with Beagle. VICTORY!

Hunter bold decisions? Wideman+Schultz=GOLD! Ovie play 10 minutes. Scoar!

Old
05-12-2014, 03:18 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

I would like to see a 2nd goaltender change tried in the playoffs. I have felt the one change and that's it for playoff tenders is a little short sighted. Bruce yanking Theo was the greatest thing ever.... until we lost. I have felt he could have or should have gone back to his undisputed #1 in game 6 vs Monty and Pitt, or even game 7.

Meanwhile in the regular season we are told a goalie needs a break back to back. A guy in the loffs can go 3 OTs yet is undisputed starter the next night.

Old
05-13-2014, 08:10 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I would like to see a 2nd goaltender change tried in the playoffs. I have felt the one change and that's it for playoff tenders is a little short sighted. Bruce yanking Theo was the greatest thing ever.... until we lost. I have felt he could have or should have gone back to his undisputed #1 in game 6 vs Monty and Pitt, or even game 7.

Meanwhile in the regular season we are told a goalie needs a break back to back. A guy in the loffs can go 3 OTs yet is undisputed starter the next night.
In no way would I have put Theodore into any form of pressure situation as all he has shown was the ability to absolutely crumble.

The only time I ever disagreed with a goalie decision BB made was in the 2011 playoffs. BB was very loyal to Neuvirth and I guess in hindsight Varlamov was being an entitled petulant child.

That said after going down 2-0 or 3-0 he should have put in Varlamov who had an outstanding record vs Tampa over the somewhat struggling Neuvirth.

Either way BB is very bold. His attacking style of play, his focus on physical play ("You aren't going to win any games with 13 hits", "I want a hitter on each line"), and his go for the throat mentality.

Go Ducks. Never count LA out tho.

Old
05-13-2014, 08:33 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
In no way would I have put Theodore into any form of pressure situation as all he has shown was the ability to absolutely crumble.
I largely agree but its highly unlikely Theo would have crumbled worse than Varly did in game 7 versus Pitt. Cmon, the dike blew and blew bad. But the writing was on the wall, you could see Varly tiring in that series, the glove late in games 5 and 6. He had far exceeded expectations and was coming back to earth.

I wanted Theo to get another shot at haunting his former team, the Habs. Varly did great in pinch hit relief early in that series, but was only unspectacular at best late. Some may even say a goal or 2 was soft.

Those would have been bold moves, right up Bruce's alley. You hear so many say you get one goalie change in the playoffs, but you see so many teams fail to win the cup doing just that.

Hindsight 2020 sure if we won you would never hear me saying those things, but we didn't. Theo was our number 1 uncontested all year; no matter how horrible he was, he was our #1. We had the horses to live with his 3 or mores. He backstopped our team that monstrous year. It was bold to go to Varly but in the end it failed to stick with the green horn no matter what.

Old
05-13-2014, 11:55 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

I really hope Bruce makes it to the finals...and wins the whole ****ing thing.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 12:41 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

I hope Bruce wins it all too. I certainly can't root on any East teams, that's for damn sure.

Like all our recent coaches, he was learning on the fly and far exceeded everyone's expectations here, and was a likeable guy. The Fat **** comment ignored, because coaches just have a limited shelf life with teams. You could tell the players were happy playing for him, it just ran its natural course.

Ovi would probably kill to get him back after being exposed to George's more recent experiments.

Old
05-13-2014, 03:17 PM
SlappaDaBass

+1 for Bruce and the Ducks winning it all. Seeing Matty P play so well for them makes me miss him. He was arguably our best player in last year's playoffs and I'm glad to see he's still producing for them.

SlappaDaBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 02:02 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I hope Bruce wins it all too. I certainly can't root on any East teams, that's for damn sure.

Like all our recent coaches, he was learning on the fly and far exceeded everyone's expectations here, and was a likeable guy. The Fat **** comment ignored, because coaches just have a limited shelf life with teams. You could tell the players were happy playing for him, it just ran its natural course.

Ovi would probably kill to get him back after being exposed to George's more recent experiments.
Sometimes you just don't know what you have until its gone.

With the high dollar and high pressure pro sports scene sometimes there has to be scapegoats to quench the blood thirst of the masses.

For example: Earlier this year the Bs lost a game. They were well over .500 at the time and coming off a finals appearance the year before. There was a meltdown thread where at least a dozen "fans" were screaming for the head of the coach and GM.

This is not uncommon among all fanbases. Its "what have you done for me lately"

They think that "Anybody will be better than this bum! It CAN'T get any worse! He's the ONLY reason we are being held back!" Stuff like that.

Bruce was the sacrificial lamb as coaches often are. The next guy? Usually the teams top offensive dman.

Look at Pitt..who are the main whipping boys? Bylsma followed by Letang.

Old
05-15-2014, 01:55 PM
thelebaron

vCash: 50
ha first post in the pitt thread calling for coach replacements is oates. id like to see what bylsma could do with this team. id also love to see what oates could do to pittsburgh

thelebaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 04:51 PM
terranraida

vCash: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlappaDaBass View Post
+1 for Bruce and the Ducks winning it all. Seeing Matty P play so well for them makes me miss him. He was arguably our best player in last year's playoffs and I'm glad to see he's still producing for them.
We're gonna need all the good vibes we can get

terranraida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 06:50 PM
Capitals1974

I hope the Ducks lose 5-1 in game 7. I don't get the BB love from some.

Capitals1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 07:35 PM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitals1974 View Post
I hope the Ducks lose 5-1 in game 7. I don't get the BB love from some.

I think Bruce is out if his element at this level. We'll see what he's got. I'm rooting for LAK but not strongly.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 07:45 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Jeez if they win some of you are going to be so disappointed.

I'm no hater....I'm pulling for the guy.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote