HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-2014 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects thread 5.0

Closed Thread

Old
04-18-2014, 07:03 PM
Grant McCagg
@grantmccagg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
You assume he would be in the top 6, while we all know the whole team would be on his back in the OHL. It's a matter of opinion I guess, I just prefer Landeskog to Paajarvi..
That's a poor comparison at best. Paajarvi was nowhere near the player Landskog was in his drasft year, as evidence with Landy being picked 2nd overall and Paajarvi 10th.

Karlsson didn't come over to play junior..how did he turn out? What about Brodin? There's no evidence pointing to playing in the CHL being better for Swedish prospects than playing in the SHL, in fact most would argue the opposite.

It never makes sense to take a step back at his age....it would be like suggesting McCarron should have played in the USHL this past season because he would have gotten top line minutes.

The club considers DLR to be the top prospect in the system..that's being proven by them having him practising with the big club right now. He won't be playing on the bottom lines in the AHL if that's where he plays next season.

You challenge young players to get better with better competitoin Do the most talented young players in Canada play house league hockey because they can carry a team? No..they play AAA hockey..you play in the best possible league for your development..it's the tried and true method at every level for young players.

When DLR competes against players his own age he's excellent offensively..that is not a sign that his offensive development is being hamstrung in any way.

Old
04-18-2014, 11:01 PM
S Bah

It seems the appreciation for the development of great hockey players does no boundaries after all. Just because athletes are born in foreign countries doesn't mean they will be inferior when they play in NA. Anyone that watches enough international hockey can attest to their abilities, and their coaching & workout regimens. Perhaps some of the resentment felt by Nygren has a basis, not from players but those that are uninformed. Time to catch up with the times they are a changing, and the Swedish players aren't the only ones that are world class, just my opinion.

Old
04-18-2014, 11:52 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
I soooooo disagree. There's so many Swedes and Finns that never panned out offensively because they were thrown into their men's league and had to go into "survival" mode.
So.......every Swede or Finn who never panned out offensively while playing in Europe is due to the fact that they were playing in Europe?????????? Do you have any idea how ridiculous that statement is?

Perhaps you should apply the same logic to the CHL.

Players generally don't pan out because they aren't good enough to begin with. This myth that you can create NHLers through development has always been ridiculous. Development systems are necessary to get players to reach their potential as fast as possible. If that potential was mistakenly overrated at the draft table then all the development in the world won't change a thing.

Sending DLR to junior is absolutely laughable and WILL NOT happen. He has already shown that he can play well at a much higher level. He will not learn a thing from trying fancy tricks against boys that won't work in the pros anyways. It is exactly these silly habits that need to be weeded out of young players when they leave their respective junior clubs. DLR will be who he will be......proper development will simply get him there faster.

Old
04-19-2014, 12:38 PM
That

I went back and tracked some statistics in Michael McCarron's game versus the Oshawa Generals on February 17th. It was one of his best games of the season, showing what kind of player he can be. Just going by my eyes, he dominated possession, broke up numerous dangerous-looking plays, and was a shooting machine. Pretty much on par with what he did in the last couple of months in the season. McCarron scored by following up on a Brett Welychka breakaway and also was awarded an assist, which probably shouldn't have been given to him. Perhaps his best stat was his +5 rating, as he was instrumental in the all of the five goals for. Keep in mind, that despite the 6-3 score, the shots were 33-30 for London and it was overall a tightly-contested game. Without further ado:

McCarron, despite playing a strong game, only played 16 shifts, totalling 11:06 of ice time. Break down by period: Period 1 - 4:42, 6 shifts... Period 2 - 2:58, 4 shifts... Period 3 - 3:36, 6 shifts.

I also tracked Corsi, which told me what I originally saw. McCarron was on the ice for 32 Corsi events, 21 of which were Corsi for. 7 of the 21 came off McCarron's stick, with 4 shots hitting the net. All in all, McCarron posted a 65.5% Corsi for percentage. Great numbers if you ask me.

For those who love hits as much as I do, McCarron had 5 of them, including a big open ice hit. McCarron also blocked two shots, one of which directly led to a goal for.

Of course, this is just one game. In the next couple of months, I'm going to be gathering data on various games, not just ones that I thought he played well.

Old
04-19-2014, 02:06 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Färjestads are being totally ***** in the final of the SHL.

Habs Prospects website
Old
04-19-2014, 03:27 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsprospects View Post
Färjestads are being totally ***** in the final of the SHL.
Skelleftea has been stomping everyone in Sweden.

Old
04-19-2014, 03:42 PM
BlackStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
I went back and tracked some statistics in Michael McCarron's game versus the Oshawa Generals on February 17th. It was one of his best games of the season, showing what kind of player he can be. Just going by my eyes, he dominated possession, broke up numerous dangerous-looking plays, and was a shooting machine. Pretty much on par with what he did in the last couple of months in the season. McCarron scored by following up on a Brett Welychka breakaway and also was awarded an assist, which probably shouldn't have been given to him. Perhaps his best stat was his +5 rating, as he was instrumental in the all of the five goals for. Keep in mind, that despite the 6-3 score, the shots were 33-30 for London and it was overall a tightly-contested game. Without further ado:

McCarron, despite playing a strong game, only played 16 shifts, totalling 11:06 of ice time. Break down by period: Period 1 - 4:42, 6 shifts... Period 2 - 2:58, 4 shifts... Period 3 - 3:36, 6 shifts.

I also tracked Corsi, which told me what I originally saw. McCarron was on the ice for 32 Corsi events, 21 of which were Corsi for. 7 of the 21 came off McCarron's stick, with 4 shots hitting the net. All in all, McCarron posted a 65.5% Corsi for percentage. Great numbers if you ask me.

For those who love hits as much as I do, McCarron had 5 of them, including a big open ice hit. McCarron also blocked two shots, one of which directly led to a goal for.

Of course, this is just one game. In the next couple of months, I'm going to be gathering data on various games, not just ones that I thought he played well.
You really are all That.

Old
04-19-2014, 05:14 PM
Mathletic

Tough start for Fucale, 3-0 Val d'Or already, Darveau in

... Fucale back to start the 2nd period

Last edited by Mathletic: 04-19-2014 at 05:55 PM.
Old
04-20-2014, 01:05 PM
overlords
youmyboyblou!

Lets keep this on topic, hein? You know who you are.

Old
04-21-2014, 07:37 AM
pc_md

Brady Vail last tweet:

Quote:
I've had some of the best years of my life in Windsor. Made some great friends and unforgettable memories. Definitely going to miss it here.
Doesn't sound like a guy who is expecting to play in Windsor as an overager...

Old
04-21-2014, 10:56 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc_md View Post
Brady Vail last tweet:

Logically the habs should sign him to an ELC unless there is something we don't know...off ice issues? ...or he is looking for 1st rd money?

Old
04-21-2014, 11:09 AM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pc_md View Post
Brady Vail last tweet:

His rights could be traded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Logically the habs should sign him to an ELC unless there is something we don't know...off ice issues? ...or he is looking for 1st rd money?
I think the most you can get being outside the 1st round is 900k. Somehow Patrick Holland got that from us.

Old
04-21-2014, 11:18 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
I wonder where he'd go if he re-enters draft. I'm guessing Florida might take a shot with Vail being from there.

Old
04-21-2014, 12:41 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post

I think the most you can get being outside the 1st round is 900k. Somehow Patrick Holland got that from us.
100 points season does that

Old
04-21-2014, 12:43 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Those contracts are a little misleading. Most guys play very few games in the NHL during the first three years and probably even fewer achieve their performance bonuses.

Holland is likely making about $157,500 per year when you factor in his AHL salary and his signing bonus.

Vail would likely fall into the same category

Old
04-22-2014, 06:54 PM
Whitesnake
Mediocre Stability

vCash: 725
Despite all the records.....can Fucale be overrated? Just a question....

Old
04-22-2014, 07:03 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
LEBBRRRAAAWWNNNNN

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I think he's a great goaltending prospect, but I don't have him in the god tier with Vasilevsky and Gibson. The latter two are further into their development, of course, but I just get the feeling Fucale isn't a dominant goalie from watching him play, more like someone who you can count on to make key saves and win games rather than steal them on a regular basis.

For reference, I've seen him both during the WJC, last year's Memorial Cup and nine other Halifax games.

Last edited by BLASPHEMOUS: 04-22-2014 at 07:08 PM.
Old
04-22-2014, 07:08 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Quote:
I'm not going to lie, he was on my no draft with 25/34/36 list. Goalies are really hard to predict historically and not a fan of taking them high.

That said, what made me not mind it after the fact was the seemingly universal acknowledgement of his ability. Maybe there's something special there.

Old
04-22-2014, 07:51 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
I want to trade Fucale now...

That's just my opinion.

Old
04-22-2014, 09:11 PM
BackEndHockey
@Back_End_Hockey

vCash: 595
IMO Fucale is a streak goalie that will get learning and skills from carey price and turn in to quick.

Old
04-22-2014, 09:14 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
Wins for goalies are overrated, so any goalie sold as a "winner" is overrated based on that standard. Doesn't mean he's not a fine prospect nonetheless. Still has plenty of work to do ahead before he's a full-time NHLer.

Old
04-22-2014, 09:51 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Goalies are by far the hardest position to project. Fucale was a fine pick and I like him but I had to laugh when this board was calling to trade Price as soon as he is ready.

He is probably an above average goalie prospect, but for all we know, Mike Condon will end up having a better career.

Old
04-22-2014, 09:55 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
He has the talent and drive to become a good goalie. Fortunately, being a Habs prospect, he also has the time.

Old
04-22-2014, 09:59 PM
Whitesnake
Mediocre Stability

vCash: 725
I'm not saying he's bad. But still can't say that he's great.....yet. He does have some tangibles going for him. But everything I watch him, I see him giving bad goals. All great to rebound from those goals.....but at one point, you also need to reduce the number of it. But he indeed as the time to do it. And with Tokarski and Condon ahead....he will have the time needed.

Old
04-22-2014, 10:32 PM
Mick11

Quote:
I'm not saying he's bad. But still can't say that he's great.....yet. He does have some tangibles going for him. But everything I watch him, I see him giving bad goals. All great to rebound from those goals.....but at one point, you also need to reduce the number of it. But he indeed as the time to do it. And with Tokarski and Condon ahead....he will have the time needed.
They won the game... From 5-1 to 6-5 in OT.....

Closed Thread